Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] bitaddress.org Safe JavaScript Bitcoin address/private key - page 8. (Read 152995 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
If I want to make more than one private key with Bitaddress, do I need to reload the page each time and keep moving the mouse to generate the randomness or is doing it once enough for multiple private keys?

If I use one of these private keys, can some "hacker" generate any other of my private keys since he can reverse engineer the randomness?

You don't have to reload the page. No, a hacker cannot correlate the keys from one session as they are all random and not deterministic.

Ok sounds good. Thanks so much
Activity: 437
Merit: 415
1ninja
If I want to make more than one private key with Bitaddress, do I need to reload the page each time and keep moving the mouse to generate the randomness or is doing it once enough for multiple private keys?

If I use one of these private keys, can some "hacker" generate any other of my private keys since he can reverse engineer the randomness?

You don't have to reload the page. No, a hacker cannot correlate the keys from one session as they are all random and not deterministic.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
I looked up what HD wallet meant and since I am using this address once for long term cold storage I don't really need HD, correct?

Since I will send an entire input, and later on when I withdraw I will withdraw everything in one output without leaving any change.

Yes, you don't need HD. I used to be against the idea since it is deterministic; but it is convenient. If there is any change at all, find out the change address and its private key. Or intentionally send the leftovers to another address you have already created, or send it back to the same address (not recommended, but lots of people do that.)
legendary
I was simply going to swish (don't remember the term) with Blockchain when I decide to spend it in the future. They only require the private key correct?
I believe the term is sweep.

I've never used the online Blockchain.info wallet so I'm not sure, but I think that is correct: they only require the private key. Mt. Gox had a sweep function too, and many other wallets, like the Android bitcoin wallet and Electrum.

Depending on the amount you saved in cold storage, I would consider which wallet to use. In my case, I've stuck with Bitcoin Core since I started, so that's what I'm comfortable with using, despite the large amount of space needed if not using pruned mode.

I might consider using a brand new wallet with Core (the new ones are HD) and sweep all my funds to addresses there, and then prune that or something. Maybe.

I looked up what HD wallet meant and since I am using this address once for long term cold storage I don't really need HD, correct?

Since I will send an entire input, and later on when I withdraw I will withdraw everything in one output without leaving any change.

legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
I was simply going to swish (don't remember the term) with Blockchain when I decide to spend it in the future. They only require the private key correct?
I believe the term is sweep.

I've never used the online Blockchain.info wallet so I'm not sure, but I think that is correct: they only require the private key. Mt. Gox had a sweep function too, and many other wallets, like the Android bitcoin wallet and Electrum.

Depending on the amount you saved in cold storage, I would consider which wallet to use. In my case, I've stuck with Bitcoin Core since I started, so that's what I'm comfortable with using, despite the large amount of space needed if not using pruned mode.

I might consider using a brand new wallet with Core (the new ones are HD) and sweep all my funds to addresses there, and then prune that or something. Maybe.
legendary
If I were to SIGN and VERIFY a private key offline in Bitcoin-qt would it be adequate enough that I would be able to access the funds?
Yes.

So which method of creating the private key is safer? Using Bitaddress or just using the one that get created in Bitcoin Core 0.1.3?

Both are safe if both are offline, or a computer never connected to the internet. The risk is the private key gets stolen. If you can prevent or mitigate that risk, then that private key remains safe.

If you use bitaddress, then you will have to import the private key into your wallet. If you use bitcoin core, then you simply have to keep a backup of the wallet file.

legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
If I were to SIGN and VERIFY a private key offline in Bitcoin-qt would it be adequate enough that I would be able to access the funds?
Yes.

So which method of creating the private key is safer? Using Bitaddress or just using the one that get created in Bitcoin Core 0.1.3?

Both are safe if both are offline, or a computer never connected to the internet. The risk is the private key gets stolen. If you can prevent or mitigate that risk, then that private key remains safe.

If you use bitaddress, then you will have to import the private key into your wallet. If you use bitcoin core, then you simply have to keep a backup of the wallet file.
legendary
Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330
it's possible that only 1 in a million addresses generated by a tool will have problems
Dooglus, I went back several pages looking for any post where you linked to a bug, but couldn't find it.
Could you post the link again?

The link is in the post you quoted. It's the blue bit.
legendary
Yes.

legendary
The Concierge of Crypto
Yes.
legendary
Activity: 806
Merit: 423
Whatever method you use, you need to practice with tiny amounts of bitcoin until you are satisfied you have a good system. Only then create a new wallet and move your other coins into it.

That's all well and good, but it's possible that only 1 in a million addresses generated by a tool will have problems, and so you could test 10 different addresses with tiny amounts and then be unlucky and get a broken address that you use with the rest of your coins.

The bug I linked to used to affect bitaddress. It doesn't any more, but we can't be sure that there aren't other such bugs, so be careful!
Dooglus, I went back several pages looking for any post where you linked to a bug, but couldn't find it.
Could you post the link again?
legendary
Whatever method you use, you need to practice with tiny amounts of bitcoin until you are satisfied you have a good system. Only then create a new wallet and move your other coins into it.

That's all well and good, but it's possible that only 1 in a million addresses generated by a tool will have problems, and so you could test 10 different addresses with tiny amounts and then be unlucky and get a broken address that you use with the rest of your coins.

The bug I linked to used to affect bitaddress. It doesn't any more, but we can't be sure that there aren't other such bugs, so be careful!
ffe
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
I got a quick question. Doing cold storage for the first time and wondering if I generate a private key will I have issues such as this individual

https://github.com/keepkey/multibit/issues/661

He apparently created some wallet and sent BTC to it but was never able to actually spend it due to some bug.

legendary
I got a quick question. Doing cold storage for the first time and wondering if I generate a private key will I have issues such as this individual

https://github.com/keepkey/multibit/issues/661

He apparently created some wallet and sent BTC to it but was never able to actually spend it due to some bug.

legendary
how to use bitaddress .org in savety
because is my private key in save in hosting in bitaddress org , so own bitaddress org can know my private key
and then my balance bitcoin can lost

You can save the bitaddress page source to a thumb drive and open it on an offline machine.
Activity: 437
Merit: 415
1ninja
https://www.bitaddress.org/bitaddress.org-v3.2.2-SHA256-f4d047c264a2b71946de319482a9365e56d8d7289dd85a352da3b1448b7647df.html
v3.2.2
 - version bump for unix line endings

The grunt build process already forces UNIX line endings. In this case I built in a branch and pushed to git. Then auto-merged the pull request and pulled to local master. After the pull to local master bitaddress.org.html had DOS line endings.

I updated the process I use to sign to re-build before sign to enforce the UNIX line endings so even in a scenario like above I will avoid this in the future.

That verified.

The ZIP linked to on the homepage (second line below) goes 404: Not Found.
Code:

Thanks. Release created at Github. The zip link now works.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
https://www.bitaddress.org/bitaddress.org-v3.2.2-SHA256-f4d047c264a2b71946de319482a9365e56d8d7289dd85a352da3b1448b7647df.html
v3.2.2
 - version bump for unix line endings

The grunt build process already forces UNIX line endings. In this case I built in a branch and pushed to git. Then auto-merged the pull request and pulled to local master. After the pull to local master bitaddress.org.html had DOS line endings.

I updated the process I use to sign to re-build before sign to enforce the UNIX line endings so even in a scenario like above I will avoid this in the future.

That verified.

The ZIP linked to on the homepage (second line below) goes 404: Not Found.
Code:
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
how to use bitaddress .org in savety
because is my private key in save in hosting in bitaddress org , so own bitaddress org can know my private key
and then my balance bitcoin can lost
Pages:
Jump to: