Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Bitcoin Foundation - page 3. (Read 127559 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
November 02, 2012, 11:28:24 PM
As Gavin said, absolutely nothing is secret about a place where you can pay 3 bitcoins and gain yearly access. It is a small amount to pay if you are even remotely interested in bitcoins future, and does serve as a filter to prevent blatant rules abuse. Elitist for 30$? Sorry, SanFrancisco bums laugh at you.

Have fun in your little club, cause when Mark and Charlie have BUSINESS SEATS that have no checks and balances for 2 YEARS, that scares me and should scare everyone else. Cause right now Bitinstant and MT Gox, can edge out companies in their respectful niches and position themselves very nicely for the future. So spend your 2.5 bitcoins to be able to help them get even richer, and hinder bitcoin big business.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
November 02, 2012, 11:19:31 PM
As Gavin said, absolutely nothing is secret about a place where you can pay 3 bitcoins and gain yearly access. It is a small amount to pay if you are even remotely interested in bitcoins future, and does serve as a filter to prevent blatant rules abuse. Elitist for 30$? Sorry, SanFrancisco bums laugh at you.

I personally do not like real name policy of the forum, but also I don't have to post sensitive information there, can just participate in the voting, so it's not a huge problem. If it did allow going with a nickname, then there would be no problem with opening access. However, real name + search bots = not good, will completely stop any posts from foundation members who are not yet public and were not planning to become such.

Bitcoins are not dollars.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1010
Borsche
November 02, 2012, 10:45:21 PM

I personally do not like real name policy of the forum, but also I don't have to post sensitive information there, can just participate in the voting, so it's not a huge problem. If it did allow going with a nickname, then there would be no problem with opening access. However, real name + search bots = not good, will completely stop any posts from foundation members who are not yet public and were not planning to become such.
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1021
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
November 02, 2012, 06:49:33 PM
It will be interesting to see how the secret collusion of public policy makers and private businesses play out when its attached to an open source project.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002
November 02, 2012, 05:28:16 PM
Foundation Members, check your emails.  Invites to the members-only BTC foundation forum have been sent out.

The fellowship of the coin...

Hahaha.

They just wish to pretend they r elitists. Let's leave them alone, I hope they won't hurt Bitcoin much.

That's why I said we need to also establish Litecoin in the marketplace. Any screwups the Bitcoin Foundation makes won't affect litecoins, yet it can piggyback on all the success.
k
Activity: 451
Merit: 250
November 02, 2012, 05:25:38 PM
OK just signed up to the foundation forum to put my money where my mouth is and start a poll over there to allow read only access (with obfuscated member usernames for privacy) for non-members.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
November 02, 2012, 05:12:38 PM
Foundation Members, check your emails.  Invites to the members-only BTC foundation forum have been sent out.

The fellowship of the coin...

Hahaha.

They just wish to pretend they r elitists. Let's leave them alone, I hope they won't hurt Bitcoin much.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056
Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com
November 02, 2012, 04:36:53 PM
Somebody could sign up as a member and then try to screen-scrape and republish everything somewhere, so members should assume that whatever they say will eventually be public. And the membership might still decide that read-only for non-members is the right thing to do-- I agree that it could be a good way to attract new members, if the quality of conversation is high.

This could be something that should be asked from the members, at the forum at least. I don't have anything against a read-only forum but I don't know about other members. I think the members should decide something like this.
k
November 02, 2012, 04:32:22 PM
it would be easy to hide the user-name for non-members

yes, was just going to make this point. You could obfuscate usernames of members in the read-only non-members version.
legendary
Activity: 1428
November 02, 2012, 04:29:43 PM
it would be easy to hide the user-name for non-members
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 2216
Chief Scientist
November 02, 2012, 04:28:23 PM
But why not let non-members read about the useful work the foundation is doing rather than restricting read access and adding fuel to the fire about non-transparency, an insider cabal etc.
Because Foundation members posting on the forum may not want the entire world to know that they are Foundation members with a quick Google search-- there is a privacy issue.

Somebody could sign up as a member and then try to screen-scrape and republish everything somewhere, so members should assume that whatever they say will eventually be public. And the membership might still decide that read-only for non-members is the right thing to do-- I agree that it could be a good way to attract new members, if the quality of conversation is high.

In related news:  Foundation board members will be blogging regularly at https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/
(RSS feed: https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?feed=rss )
legendary
November 02, 2012, 04:28:05 PM
The foundation members feel more comfortable talking amongst themselves with their real name when they know only other members can read the posts. I don't personally care either way but I don't see a big problem with the way it is now. Anything that really needs to be public, will be public. Like the first Foundation blog from Gavin.

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/blog/?p=16
legendary
November 02, 2012, 04:20:29 PM
It's good this way. The craziness can stay here and the foundation business can stay over there.

So true.

It's very good this way !

But why not let non-members read about the useful work the foundation is doing rather than restricting read access and adding fuel to the fire about non-transparency, an insider cabal etc.

Maybe you guys can vote on it LMAO they aren't going to do that, they want to be hidden in a gated wall
k
November 02, 2012, 04:15:52 PM
It's good this way. The craziness can stay here and the foundation business can stay over there.

So true.

legendary
November 02, 2012, 04:11:34 PM

So true.

Yea it is great, so that the big bitcoin businesses can stay hidden and be non-transparency, this bitcoin foundation is such a joke.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1004
November 02, 2012, 04:09:20 PM

So true.

k
November 02, 2012, 04:01:39 PM
It's vital for the forum to be closed for non-members and search engines etc. There is now a policy in place which prevents using the forum with a nickname or a pseudonym or whatever. It's Real Name Only. To make that policy work it has to be closed.

In other words the forum is much more strict, matter-of-fact, no-nonsense and "official" compared to this forum which is basically crazy. It's good this way. The craziness can stay here and the foundation business can stay over there.

Being read-only for non-members would be good for openness and transparency. I can clearly see the benefit of non-members not being able to post to cut out a lot of the rubbish you see on this forum for example but I don't see any benefit to denying non-members read access.
legendary
November 02, 2012, 03:49:35 PM
It's vital for the forum to be closed for non-members and search engines etc. There is now a policy in place which prevents using the forum with a nickname or a pseudonym or whatever. It's Real Name Only. To make that policy work it has to be closed.

In other words the forum is much more strict, matter-of-fact, no-nonsense and "official" compared to this forum which is basically crazy. It's good this way. The craziness can stay here and the foundation business can stay over there.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348
Eadem mutata resurgo
November 02, 2012, 03:42:50 PM
Foundation Members, check your emails.  Invites to the members-only BTC foundation forum have been sent out.

making the members-only BTC foundation forum read-only for non-members might be a good option to prevent the inevitable accusations of an insider elite taking control of bitcoin and other conspiracy theories.

The ship for "preventing" such accusations sailed a long time ago.  At this point, I want the foundation forums to stay totally private and secret just for spite.

Spitefull little chappy aren't we?
kjj
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024
November 02, 2012, 03:35:58 PM

making the members-only BTC foundation forum read-only for non-members might be a good option to prevent the inevitable accusations of an insider elite taking control of bitcoin and other conspiracy theories.

The ship for "preventing" such accusations sailed a long time ago.  At this point, I want the foundation forums to stay totally private and secret just for spite.
Pages:
Jump to: