Author

Topic: [ANN] Blacknet | IBO for BlackCoin | New code | PoS | No ICO - page 1012. (Read 2509934 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
Maybe you missed several of my posts? The end user can remove all of the software that is pre-loaded and install their own. Someone can even create their own menu launcher and make it available as open source. I am not Apple I am not forcing anyone to use the pre-loaded software. I know you guys are use to dealing with anonymous people from unknown countries. However, this is not one of those cases. When the site is live there will be an actual address and contact number. No reputable corporation would ever give out their source code to random people online unless it was open source. The problem with open source in this case, 50 people will copy what we have done and just do the same thing in a week. Is that what you really want? If they want to copy the idea that is fine, but they will have to code it themselves.

As a developer I completely understand.  I too maintain a very tight reign on my source code (as it's my livelihood at stake).

On the other hand there are two risks that as a PR/Marketing guy you can understand well... as you've already as it relates to your company and it's reputation... basically brand dilution or destruction.

This is a pretty fine line to walk here.  While I'm perfectly fine (for personal use and that of my friends) in being able to wipe and reload at will.  With something carrying the BC logo and name... but allowing anyone to wipe and 're-purpose' it remains a potential problem in another scenario.  Suppose someone (who is not honest and supportive of BC long-term) purchases a number of the cards and loads a keylogger or similar malware on it, or even more simplistically simply dumps the private keys associated with the wallets... and then hands them to people who then load them up... and wake up to missing BC - the damage would be smaller than a 'Mt. Gox-ing' but could still represent a threat to the brand itself.

On the other hand if the code was 'vetted' by Maarx and Rat4 - perhaps with a MD5 on the site which would be checked to verify that the entire contents of the card (other than blockchain and wallet.dat obviously) hadn't changed since issuance.  That might go a long way to assure holders that it was safe to load value onto the card.

Something to keep in mind at least, as although today 1,000 BC might seem like chump-change... it might be a good used car's worth in a year. Wink

The code being vetted would not prevent the scenario you just described.

Easy solution, tamper proof sticker on the packaging Smiley
Activity: 405

Indeed. The nature of the internet. Even a registered company. Maarx works with Soepkip and rat4. You want these guys to give you the all clear.

Sure you can remove the software, but if you can get audited by the official blackcoin dev team that would lend you a lot of credibility.

How would you know if Maarx, Soepkip or rat4 approved launcher or a different launcher was actually in the final product?

as the previous person said...hash (MD5) of other to confirm that the original soft wasn't touched...

even better if the check would be included and run automatically at start-up...

PS. Iconic no offence and so far you've proven yourself....but you don't know where it will end up...and the hash check is a really good idea..even for your reputation, if someone breaks something and use the cards with wrong intentions you would also be covered...
Activity: 274
Merit: 100

Indeed. The nature of the internet. Even a registered company. Maarx works with Soepkip and rat4. You want these guys to give you the all clear.

Sure you can remove the software, but if you can get audited by the official blackcoin dev team that would lend you a lot of credibility.

The only dev is rat4, and I have already stated if he is willing to provide his personal info and sign an NDA he would be allowed to vet the source. Now this has been discussed and answered multiple time.

I think we need someone more credible.  I thought Fyrstikken was a software manager we could trust him to verify the software >.>

Please do not post FUD. If you do not want to buy the card that is your choice. I have been a software engineer for over 14 years. Created more products than most the people on this forum. The whole logic behind this debate is flawed. Millions of coins are sent to Mintpal and Cryptsy every day. Did you ask for thier code to be audited? Do you have a physical address and/or number for either one of those services?

Here is one of my current products: http://www.baixaki.com.br/download/music-chow.htm

I was just trying to be funny not spread FUD!  I for one trust IconicExpert already without the software being vetted.  I wish I could buy the blackcoincard with my credit card I don't wanna cash out my BC to buy.  
Activity: 168
Maybe you missed several of my posts? The end user can remove all of the software that is pre-loaded and install their own. Someone can even create their own menu launcher and make it available as open source. I am not Apple I am not forcing anyone to use the pre-loaded software. I know you guys are use to dealing with anonymous people from unknown countries. However, this is not one of those cases. When the site is live there will be an actual address and contact number. No reputable corporation would ever give out their source code to random people online unless it was open source. The problem with open source in this case, 50 people will copy what we have done and just do the same thing in a week. Is that what you really want? If they want to copy the idea that is fine, but they will have to code it themselves.

As a developer I completely understand.  I too maintain a very tight reign on my source code (as it's my livelihood at stake).

On the other hand there are two risks that as a PR/Marketing guy you can understand well... as you've already as it relates to your company and it's reputation... basically brand dilution or destruction.

This is a pretty fine line to walk here.  While I'm perfectly fine (for personal use and that of my friends) in being able to wipe and reload at will.  With something carrying the BC logo and name... but allowing anyone to wipe and 're-purpose' it remains a potential problem in another scenario.  Suppose someone (who is not honest and supportive of BC long-term) purchases a number of the cards and loads a keylogger or similar malware on it, or even more simplistically simply dumps the private keys associated with the wallets... and then hands them to people who then load them up... and wake up to missing BC - the damage would be smaller than a 'Mt. Gox-ing' but could still represent a threat to the brand itself.

On the other hand if the code was 'vetted' by Maarx and Rat4 - perhaps with a MD5 on the site which would be checked to verify that the entire contents of the card (other than blockchain and wallet.dat obviously) hadn't changed since issuance.  That might go a long way to assure holders that it was safe to load value onto the card.

Something to keep in mind at least, as although today 1,000 BC might seem like chump-change... it might be a good used car's worth in a year. Wink

The code being vetted would not prevent the scenario you just described.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500

How would you know if Maarx, Soepkip or rat4 approved launcher or a different launcher was actually in the final product?
Activity: 392

As a developer I completely understand.  I too maintain a very tight reign on my source code (as it's my livelihood at stake).

This is a pretty fine line to walk here.  While I'm perfectly fine (for personal use and that of my friends) in being able to wipe and reload at will.  With something carrying the BC logo and name... but allowing anyone to wipe and 're-purpose' it remains a potential problem in another scenario.  Suppose someone (who is not honest and supportive of BC long-term) purchases a number of the cards and loads a keylogger or similar malware on it, or even more simplistically simply dumps the private keys associated with the wallets... and then hands them to people who then load them up... and wake up to missing BC - the damage would be smaller than a 'Mt. Gox-ing' but could still represent a threat to the brand itself.

On the other hand if the code was 'vetted' by Maarx and Rat4 - perhaps with a MD5 on the site which would be checked to verify that the entire contents of the card (other than blockchain and wallet.dat obviously) hadn't changed since issuance.  That might go a long way to assure holders that it was safe to load value onto the card.

The only dev is rat4, and I have already stated if he is willing to provide his personal info and sign an NDA he would be allowed to vet the source. Now this has been discussed and answered multiple time.

I think we need someone more credible.  I thought Fyrstikken was a software manager we could trust him to verify the software >.>

Please do not post FUD. If you do not want to buy the card that is your choice. I have been a software engineer for over 14 years. Created more products than most the people on this forum. The whole logic behind this debate is flawed. Millions of coins are sent to Mintpal and Cryptsy every day. Did you ask for thier code to be audited? Do you have a physical address and/or number for either one of those services?

Here is one of my current products: http://www.baixaki.com.br/download/music-chow.htm
Activity: 1414
Merit: 265
Pepemo.vip

I think we need someone more credible.  I thought Fyrstikken was a software manager we could trust him to verify the software >.>

we should have him do some kind of exchange, I hear he has lots of experience....
Activity: 274

I think we need someone more credible.  I thought Fyrstikken was a software manager we could trust him to verify the software >.>
Activity: 182

Activity: 1414
Merit: 265
Pepemo.vip
If the cards haven't actually been printed yet, a very large consensus of people in IRC have agreed "Once you go black..." is needed to be changed. I don't keep up with this thread so I'm not sure if that spilled over here, but Soepkip was in on the discussions and has some ideas. I love everything about the card except for that slogan on it, it's sophomoric.

In my opinion indeed: Loose the Once you go Black. The rest looks freaking awesome.

You can go with:

www.BlackCoin.co
Meet Black.

Or indeed www.BlackCoinCard.com

I prefer the www.BlackCoin.co as people will find the right information directly!

As soon as they insert the card they will have all the info right at their fingertips.

Will the software installed on the USB key be Open Source? can we have a look at the code?

No..it is a commercial product. I do not want every coin developer copying and pasting the code, and then recreating what we have done. However, you do not have to run the software included. You can just load the standard wallet alone and lose the custom start up menu, it is your choice. The start menu is just launcher that gives you access to everything associated with BC, it also can auto update the wallet when a new version is released.

If the software is built upon open source software, like every other BC wallet, then it has to be open source. Right?

I want to point out the menu launcher is not open source, that was created in house. However, the wallet is open source and no changes were made to the wallet. Just think of when you insert a CD for the first time for a new graphics card, usually a cool menu pops up and then you are able to make selections..etc..etc. Well it is the same thing. However, the menu is related to everything BC.

To put this debate to rest:

Would you agree 1 or 2 experienced, and trusted coders looked at the preloaded software before you sent these cards out? I'm sure rat4 is willing, as will maarx probably be.

If rat4 is willing to give me all his personal info and sign a NDA, then sure!

I am willing to. I am interested in testing the final version of the software before it goes out.

I will only allow rat4 to vet the source. In the past for one of my security products I used a 3rd party company to vet the source.

For various reasons- you need the software to be audited. Very easily, you can slip in some code that steals blackcoins. Even if people use custom encrypted wallets.

If the cards haven't actually been printed yet, a very large consensus of people in IRC have agreed "Once you go black..." is needed to be changed. I don't keep up with this thread so I'm not sure if that spilled over here, but Soepkip was in on the discussions and has some ideas. I love everything about the card except for that slogan on it, it's sophomoric.

In my opinion indeed: Loose the Once you go Black. The rest looks freaking awesome.

You can go with:

www.BlackCoin.co
Meet Black.

I prefer the www.BlackCoin.co as people will find the right information directly!

As soon as they insert the card they will have all the info right at their fingertips.

Will the software installed on the USB key be Open Source? can we have a look at the code?

No..it is a commercial product. I do not want every coin developer copying and pasting the code, and then recreating what we have done. However, you do not have to run the software included. You can just load the standard wallet alone and lose the custom start up menu, it is your choice. The start menu is just launcher that gives you access to everything associated with BC, it also can auto update the wallet when a new version is released.

If the software is built upon open source software, like every other BC wallet, then it has to be open source. Right?

I want to point out the menu launcher is not open source, that was created in house. However, the wallet is open source and no changes were made to the wallet. Just think of when you insert a CD for the first time for a new graphics card, usually a cool menu pops up and then you are able to make selections..etc..etc. Well it is the same thing. However, the menu is related to everything BC.

Would you agree 1 or 2 experienced, and trusted coders looked at the preloaded software before you sent these cards out? I'm sure rat4 is willing, as will maarx probably be.

I am willing to. I am interested in testing the final version of the software before it goes out.

I will only allow rat4 to vet the source. In the past for one of my security products I used a 3rd party company to vet the source.

For various reasons- you need the software to be auditted. Very easily, you can slip in some code that steals blackcoins. Even if people use custom encrypted wallets.

Activity: 336
SellALL, BuyBTC
I've already ordered one for me... This blackCard is so sexy  Cool  A Must Have !

+1
Got me 1 too
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
I've already ordered one for me... This blackCard is so sexy  Cool  A Must Have !
Activity: 154
Loving the Wallet is the free shipping worldwide?
Activity: 882
Merit: 517
cloverdex.io

You can go with:

www.BlackCoin.co
Meet Black.

For various reasons- you need the software to be auditted. Very easily, you can slip in some code that steals blackcoins. Even if people use custom encrypted wallets.

Good to have it vetted by 3rd parties yes. And have them verify the end-product uses the exact same code Smiley

You can go with:

www.BlackCoin.co
Meet Black.

Activity: 882
Merit: 517
cloverdex.io

You can go with:

www.BlackCoin.co
Meet Black.

You can go with:

www.BlackCoin.co
Meet Black.

Jump to: