Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Catcoin - 0.9.1.1 - Old thread. Locked. Please use 0.9.2 thread. - page 8. (Read 131010 times)

Activity: 657
Merit: 500
From being a miner and holder of CAT a month after it was launched, I too have notice the sharp divide amongst those in the community that were either looking for CatCoin to be successful, or just profitable to mine. And while yes, it would be great to have a coin that's profitable to mine, that's counter to having LONG TERM successful coin.

CatCoin was one of the first coins I became really involved in, and is one of the few that is still around a year later.  Though I have only been involved in crypto for a year, there has one thing that I have noticed to be true.  If a coin looks to be successful for the long term, then looking at the short term, or even medium term outcomes is completely POINTLESS!

Yes, we have had our troubles with the diff re-targeting code when we were getting slammed by some multipools, in the past, but I think most, if not all, multipools are either ignoring us or have taken us out of their pools entirely.  

I have been quiet and netual on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing.  

Hozer almost had me running his rouge code on my P2Pool node, as he took me by surprise telling me that there was a new version of the wallet out, and I needed to update.  Luckly for me, I didn't take the bait, but almost did.  It was only after re-reading the dev channel log, seeing no mention of new release, or on here, that I saw that I shouldn't "upgrade" and didn't.

As for the logo, I still like our original one better, but just my two cents.

Seriously. I asked you to run some code to fix a network problem because I was the only one actually writing code. And when it became clear that people actually gave a shit, I made it quite clear how to fix the problems.
Liars lie.   Roll Eyes  Hozer - you continue to lie about how many people are writing code (three - blak, zero, and you.  Except that while blak and zero were working FOR Cat, you were finding ways to reject legitimate blocks and write code to block coin holders so they can't use their coins) and you continue to lie about people "giving a shit".  The COMMUNITY never left - but you betrayed them.  CAT's alive in SPITE OF YOU, not because of you.

I hear a lot about 'the dev team', but all I see is marketing. If the dev team had some code updates, either of removing the 30 second minimum, or just provide *some* sign of life, I'd happily shut up.
While I doubt you actually would "shut up", we pushed code changes to the release Git 3 months ago to remove your seed nodes.  ALL of the rest of your bastardized code - including the 30 second minimum block time - has been removed from the testnet code.  The testnet code is the baseline for all release candidates. 

Marketing?  The single best round of 'marketing' the team undertook was to fire you.  That single act brought new miners and new blood to the process.  Why?  Because as we discussed on the telephone, via email, in - dev, and in personal chat:  When the dev team appears to be CENSORING LEGITIMATE MINERS it PUSHES MINERS AWAY.  If you care about Cat, Hozer, you'll stay away.

The history of this coin is it gets taken over by new developers when the old developers fail to maintain it. So instead of FUD, how about the dev team maintain the damned thing, and try to take constructive criticism. Otherwise if we think cat has been abandoned, *again*, we'll take it over, *again*.
I cannot say that the dev team will look the same next year as it does today, but I can and will say that the last time this coin was abandoned was the last time this coin project will be abandoned.

You've heard it from the dev team and the community:  You're still fired.  Find another playground, Hozer.  We don't need your code, your pool nodes, your sites, or your continued FUD/lies/threats/BS.

Andy
Activity: 189
Merit: 100
It appears that Hozer took-down his catstat.info page with the block-time chart and block explorer.

The block-time chart can still be found at http://catcoinwallets.com

There's a block explorer here: https://altexplorer.info/chains/CAT/block_crawler.php

I didn't plan to deploy the new seed node and block explorer until next week - looks like that project needs to be moved up a bit...   

Happy Sunday
Andy

Well restarting apache fixed it. I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Someone please message me on irc if it happens again instead of just FUDing about it.

Not sure what was up with your catstat.info page, as I was getting a "domain is expired" for the last week.
Glad that it is back up (just checked!)
Activity: 189
From being a miner and holder of CAT a month after it was launched, I too have notice the sharp divide amongst those in the community that were either looking for CatCoin to be successful, or just profitable to mine. And while yes, it would be great to have a coin that's profitable to mine, that's counter to having LONG TERM successful coin.

CatCoin was one of the first coins I became really involved in, and is one of the few that is still around a year later.  Though I have only been involved in crypto for a year, there has one thing that I have noticed to be true.  If a coin looks to be successful for the long term, then looking at the short term, or even medium term outcomes is completely POINTLESS!

Yes, we have had our troubles with the diff re-targeting code when we were getting slammed by some multipools, in the past, but I think most, if not all, multipools are either ignoring us or have taken us out of their pools entirely. 

I have been quiet and netual on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing. 

Hozer almost had me running his rouge code on my P2Pool node, as he took me by surprise telling me that there was a new version of the wallet out, and I needed to update.  Luckly for me, I didn't take the bait, but almost did.  It was only after re-reading the dev channel log, seeing no mention of new release, or on here, that I saw that I shouldn't "upgrade" and didn't.

Seriously. I asked you to run some code to fix a network problem because I was the only one actually writing code. And when it became clear that people actually gave a shit, I made it quite clear how to fix the problems.

I hear a lot about 'the dev team', but all I see is marketing. If the dev team had some code updates, either of removing the 30 second minimum, or just provide *some* sign of life, I'd happily shut up. The history of this coin is it gets taken over by new developers when the old developers fail to maintain it. So instead of FUD, how about the dev team maintain the damned thing, and try to take constructive criticism. Otherwise if we think cat has been abandoned, *again*, we'll take it over, *again*.

Ok, I've held my tongue long enough...
Hozer, You and I have never had "arguements, or FUD spreading or that kind of shit", but the ONLY place that we have disagreed was with the way that you TRIED to take over the coin with your rogue coin a few months back.  A few of us HAD to spend OUR OWN HARD EARNED CASH to lease out rigs to re-gain the coin, even after we have ALL said "NO, WE WILL NOT ACCEPT YOUR CODE!", but you ran it ANYWAY ...

1) CODE IS STILL BEING WORKED ON, AS TIME PERMITS, because SOME PEOPLE HAVE LIVES OUTSIDE OF CRYPTO CURRENCY, BUT STILL MAINTAIN AN ACTIVE PART!
2) We have "3" proposals in the works to fix the algo.. WE ALL KNOW THE ALGO IS FUCKED WHEN THERE IS VERY LITTLE HASHING ON IT!  This community is speaking up, and USING THE OLD CODE, to also help prove our previous theory when there is STEADY HASHING.  THE COMMUNITY CARES... Apparently, you don't care aobut the rest of the community!
3) The only thing I hear out of your mouth Hozer, every time we talk about it, is HOW CAN YOU LINE YOUR OWN POCKET WITH CASH.  
4) The code changes you suggested, REJECT VALID blocks just because the timestamp is "to short", and your answer to that is "have the mining rig CREATE a timestamp in the future" .. That is EXPLOIT CITY.... NO THANKS!
5) The dev team is NOT dead as you are trying to spread FUD about it.  You have been ejected BY THE COMMUNITY...

My rant is over, and I will NOT respond to any more FUD from you.. thanks and have a nice day.

Blak

Activity: 271
Merit: 254
It appears that Hozer took-down his catstat.info page with the block-time chart and block explorer.

There's a block explorer here: https://altexplorer.info/chains/CAT/block_crawler.php

I didn't plan to deploy the new seed node and block explorer until next week - looks like that project needs to be moved up a bit...   

Happy Sunday
Andy

Well restarting apache fixed it. I can't see anything obviously wrong.

Someone please message me on irc if it happens again instead of just FUDing about it.
Activity: 271
Merit: 254

CatCoin was one of the first coins I became really involved in, and is one of the few that is still around a year later.  Though I have only been involved in crypto for a year, there has one thing that I have noticed to be true.  If a coin looks to be successful for the long term, then looking at the short term, or even medium term outcomes is completely POINTLESS!

I have been quiet and netual on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing. 

Hozer almost had me running his rouge code on my P2Pool node, as he took me by surprise telling me that there was a new version of the wallet out, and I needed to update.  Luckly for me, I didn't take the bait, but almost did.  It was only after re-reading the dev channel log, seeing no mention of new release, or on here, that I saw that I shouldn't "upgrade" and didn't.

I hear a lot about 'the dev team', but all I see is marketing. If the dev team had some code updates, either of removing the 30 second minimum, or just provide *some* sign of life, I'd happily shut up. The history of this coin is it gets taken over by new developers when the old developers fail to maintain it. So instead of FUD, how about the dev team maintain the damned thing, and try to take constructive criticism. Otherwise if we think cat has been abandoned, *again*, we'll take it over, *again*.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
https://cryptassist.io
Ok, everyone.  If you check the block chart you'll see how the network responds to some steady hash.   Smiley

Nice regular blocks and no dips into switch-pool land.

Fear not - we're still working on fixing the algo so that it handles low hash periods.  Wink

Welcome to a stable Cat.    Cool

Thanks for your patience and feedback, Cats.  This marathon starts now!

Andy

Whoa, nice to see us back up in the 300's again Smiley
Ok, everyone.  If you check the block chart you'll see how the network responds to some steady hash.   Smiley

Nice regular blocks and no dips into switch-pool land.

Fear not - we're still working on fixing the algo so that it handles low hash periods.  Wink

Welcome to a stable Cat.    Cool

Thanks for your patience and feedback, Cats.  This marathon starts now!

Andy

Happy Sunday
Andy
I have been quiet and neutral on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing.

Agreed. I'm sick and tired of the bullshit they keep trying to pull. If they don't like the current situation with CAT they're welcome to start up their own coin rather than trying to take control of CAT while it still has a dev team. I also saw their antics on IRC ages back and I have little trust in them. They appeared to want what's best for the coin on the surface but to me it just appeared that they wanted the coin ran the way THEY wanted, everyone else be damned. I however do still have confidence in the current team.

For what it's worth I hold just under 10k CAT myself (and I've stayed in CAT ever since the first week after I started out with DOGE, which itself was my first foray into cryptocurrency) and I'm staying put. If CAT does fully die off (which I doubt) I'm probably done with cyptocurrency altogether.

That's my thoughts on the matter.

Same here, though I wish had just under 10k CAT  Sad
Activity: 826
Since Slimepuppy asked me to take a stand on Catcoin, this is what I wrote him:

Hi Slimepuppy,

sorry for my late answer, was involved with rl-issues too much this week. I have followed the "arguing points" made in the CAT-Thread. And I have to say that I think both parties make valid points but I think this "minimum blocktime" aka "refusal of mining compensation" is not that good. Since, how you said, there is a chance that even tiny miners could get their solved blocks refused, when they by chance solve a block in under X minutes. Maybe there is a workaround for this, e. g. miners have to hold back their solved blocks before they can get the cashout. Example: Miner have to simply wait for 3 Minutes for a cashout. But I don't put serious hope in the success of such an approach.

Hozer&etblvue1

I had nice talkings with etblvue1, I like about him, that he has a constructive/reasonable and also unorthodox approch to solve CAT's problems. But the more I think about your protest I come to the conclusion that maybe etblvue1 approach is made under wrong premises.

Methods to solve difficultiy algorithm:

To make it short I believe to solve the difficulty adjusment issues we need sophisticated and skilled mathematics/Algorithms/"PID" M.Sc/PhD level. I would reject any "simple and fast" approaches. Quality before quickness.

I'll leave it at that for now. If you want you can copy&past this into the CAT-Thread. Actually I'd have liked to talk to etblvue1 first before dismissing his approach behind his back, since at first I thought his approach was not that bad. I think he'll not consider my swing of attitude as back-stabbing et cetera.

Thank you again for consideration and thank you for your efforts with CAT.

vondi1122

Sry for selfquote

Vondi1122
Activity: 210
I have been quiet and neutral on this, but I feel that it's time I speak up. The last thing we need right now is for people like Hozer and etblvu1, who have been either FUD'ing or trying to take over CAT, to continue to do so.  They need to sit down, shut up, and let the Dev team do their thing.

Agreed. I'm sick and tired of the bullshit they keep trying to pull. If they don't like the current situation with CAT they're welcome to start up their own coin rather than trying to take control of CAT while it still has a dev team. I also saw their antics on IRC ages back and I have little trust in them. They appeared to want what's best for the coin on the surface but to me it just appeared that they wanted the coin ran the way THEY wanted, everyone else be damned. I however do still have confidence in the current team.

For what it's worth I hold just under 10k CAT myself (and I've stayed in CAT ever since the first week after I started out with DOGE, which itself was my first foray into cryptocurrency) and I'm staying put. If CAT does fully die off (which I doubt) I'm probably done with cyptocurrency altogether.

That's my thoughts on the matter.
FYI - pool operators and *nix users - don't upgrade to the latest openSSL before compiling your coind.  There is a problem with openSSL 1.0.0p / 1.0.1k that could cause trouble with coin block chains. 

Background:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/users-of-bitcoin-core-on-linux-must-not-upgrade-to-the-latest-version-of-openssl-919373
http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/33221963/

This is not a problem with the Windows binaries, as those packages are manually installed at build time, and the windows packages/dependencies are statically linked.  Windows wallets are built with the exact packages we specify at build time.  For example:  The current wallet, 9.1.1/09.01.01 uses openSSL 1.0.1g, which fixed the Heartbleed security bug.

Linux users:  Earlier versions of openSSL can be found here:
https://www.openssl.org/source/old/1.0.1/
Don't use 1.0.1e or f as they suffer from the Heartbleed bug.  Any of the rest - from 1.0.1g through 1.0.1j - are recommended.

Andy

Thanks for the info!
FYI - pool operators and *nix users - don't upgrade to the latest openSSL before compiling your coind.  There is a problem with openSSL 1.0.0p / 1.0.1k that could cause trouble with coin block chains. 

Background:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/users-of-bitcoin-core-on-linux-must-not-upgrade-to-the-latest-version-of-openssl-919373
http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/33221963/

This is not a problem with the Windows binaries, as those packages are manually installed at build time, and the windows packages/dependencies are statically linked.  Windows wallets are built with the exact packages we specify at build time.  For example:  The current wallet, 9.1.1/09.01.01 uses openSSL 1.0.1g, which fixed the Heartbleed security bug.

Linux users:  Earlier versions of openSSL can be found here:
https://www.openssl.org/source/old/1.0.1/
Don't use 1.0.1e or f as they suffer from the Heartbleed bug.  Any of the rest - from 1.0.1g through 1.0.1j - are recommended.

Andy
We want to welcome miner snipez to the CAT family.  His ~100MH/s on CAT has just gotten the last four blocks.

That's a significant vote of confidence for CAT from someone else that puts his money and miners where his mouth is. Wink

Andy
Activity: 168
I always read doge as dogcoin, well in this case won't be making mistakes wit catcoin.

The issues following denial of a problem, usually manifests itself when an exchange delists a coin because of said issue.
Don't confuse denial of a problem with 1. open discussion of the actual problem after careful root-cause analysis and 2. noises made by people with a long history of actually trying to kill the coin.

After Hozer's last exploit - an active attempt to kill the network by running attack code on a seed node - it cost me personally about $400 and the rest of the team  time and money as well, because we used our own miners and leased all the scrypt hash we could get our hands on to 51% the damn network back together.  That almost DID cost our Cryptsy listing and DID cost miners.  Had we not taken drastic action, Hozer would have killed Cat that afternoon and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Try solo mining now, damm315er.  I've been solo-mining for the past 24 hours with 30 MH/s using the production wallet.  In that 24 hour period I found 11 blocks but one was an orphan.

If you really want CAT either mine it or buy it.  If not, then best of luck mining the coin(s) you prefer.

Andy
Activity: 539
Merit: 255
Here's a good argument that Bitcoin (and the altcoins even more so) have been programmed to die: http://cryptome.org/2014/05/bitcoin-suicide.pdf

edit: We need to be able to have a discussion about timestamps, both on blocks, and on transactions, and how we'd like to check said timestamps. Denial of the problem does not make it go away.

I have also argued about this way to much, and if anyone would like to discuss timestamps, find me on irc.freenode.net #catoshi-dev.

The issues following denial of a problem, usually manifests itself when an exchange delists a coin because of said issue.
Back to work...   New seed node is up and synchronizing.  Onward to the block explorer and new home for wallets.

News at 11...  Wink

The blockchain is public record, and all BIGNUM catcoin from address 9Uuwhatever have been **mined**, if you would care to look at public blockchain record. AND pretty much all of those coins have been mined at lower than average difficulty, giving that miner MORE catcoins per megahash than you are getting.

If you like this arrangement, then just frickin say so. Buy my opinion is that address is unfairly taking advantage of you and every other small miner who mines for a few days providing distributed network security and gets frustrated and quits because they get no catcoins.

The nonsense, both from you, and from 9Uuwhatever needs to stop, and we need to get on with a fair return, instead of giving a extra bonus to gigahash switchpools. We can start with the following patch:
Troy - for the absolute last time:

Everyone KNOWS that blocks are being mined when the difficulty is low.  We know WHY they are being mined when the difficulty is low (they're the most PROFITABLE blocks).  We know WHY the difficulty is low.  We know WHEN the switch miners come in (difficulty below 20).  All of this is old news and is absolutely normal for the current state of our coin code.

IF you really are concerned about the fast blocks, you'd keep your miner on the coin - when you were mining with the rest of us, the diff stayed above 20 and there were few 'too easy' blocks to mine.

The FIX for this is the same as it has ALWAYS been - fix the algo so that we stop galloping.  Coins do their best to adjust to an AVERAGE BLOCK TIME TARGET and it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to understand that some faster than average blocks raises the difficulty and results in slower than average blocks.  Stop the too-low diff and there are no more 'cheap to mine' blocks.

We are going to fix the difficulty adjustment algo.  We are NOT going to deploy any code that steals from miners.

We're done here, Troy.  No more of your BS, no more FUD, no more busybody looking in other people's wallets, and no more conspiracy to commit fraud.

Seriously man - get some help.
Pages:
Jump to: