Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] CureCoin to be released soon. - page 3. (Read 36609 times)

Activity: 397
Merit: 251
CureCoin Lead Dev
May 10, 2013, 12:41:28 AM

Forum for curecoin
http://curecoin.info/index.php

I set it up quickly and just put in some necessary bot protection. If you have an issue joining let me know.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011
Franko is Freedom
May 09, 2013, 11:21:15 PM
Watching this thread, its a great idea and something that i would be proud to mine.  Grin
CureCoin Lead Dev
May 09, 2013, 11:00:12 PM
I have some questions.

1. Will this coin have decentralization comparable to Bitcoin, Litecoin, and such?

2. Will the protein folding actually contribute in some way to the security of the network as proof-of-work, or will it solely be the hashers securing the network and "subsidizing" the folders?

3. Can your approach be adapted not only to Folding@Home, but a generalized distributed computing scheme?

4. What is the economic model of this coin? Will it be inflationary, deflationary, or attempt price stability?

5. Do you plan on introducing features beyond the protein folding in this coin?

6. Do you intend this to be used as general currency, or something more specific?

1. Since work units are distributed through universities, or eventually any other distributed research network, there is no way around some level centralization.

2. Protien folding will not effect the blockchain. hashers will secure the blockchain (confirm in previous post). Hashers will be sharing a portion measured by bench marking hardware of similar value.

3. Yes, the popular demand for Bionc (and others) added to this might not be far away.

4. I think what you asking is about : difficulty rises will be similar to other coins, but not as extreme, and the starting difficulty and retargets designed to prevent huge swings in difficulty. If this isnt what your after , sorry, i try to study many fields but economics bores the hell out of me. Thats why im listening closely to the economists giving me advice about this.

5. Yes, Bionc and others are a future plan, but its much easier to start with one and see how well it works.

6. If it is used as currency i think is up to the people that hold them, just like other crypto coins. Remember, even bitcoin was only supposed to an experiment but now has a value of ~ 100 +.

This of course is not the typical coin many of you would think ideal, but it is for a purpose. It is likely the coins will hold some value. Being able to get rewarded with crypto coins instead of just points should be enough for people to try it. Im sure some people will stick to completely decentralized crypto, but as we have seen, a lot of people are waiting for a chance to mine coins that encourage the advancement of hopefully finding cures.

Just like the original bitcoin, this is of course experimental, so know one really knows how it will turn out. The only way to find out is to try. If it is a flop, the we hopefully figure out what went wrong, and make curecoin 2.0

Im contacted medical students at 3 universities to spread the word about the project, in about 2 days ill have a dedicated website where i hope to see many med students, bitcoin enthusiasts and maybe some professors join the discussion of curecoin.

Activity: 476
COINECT
May 09, 2013, 05:16:09 PM
I have some questions.

1. Will this coin have decentralization comparable to Bitcoin, Litecoin, and such?

2. Will the protein folding actually contribute in some way to the security of the network as proof-of-work, or will it solely be the hashers securing the network and "subsidizing" the folders?

3. Can your approach be adapted not only to Folding@Home, but a generalized distributed computing scheme?

4. What is the economic model of this coin? Will it be inflationary, deflationary, or attempt price stability?

5. Do you plan on introducing features beyond the protein folding in this coin?

6. Do you intend this to be used as general currency, or something more specific?
donator
Activity: 714
Merit: 510
Preaching the gospel of Satoshi
May 09, 2013, 05:14:49 PM
Is this going to be related to folding@home or boinc? Or it will be a standalone project?

Initially I was going to focus on Folding@home. I was planning to add Bionc eventually anyways. Folding@home is dedicated to only finding cures, so I'd prefer to launch with just folding@home, and add bionc later after we make an impact on folding@home.

Then have in mind what I said in my previous post.
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
May 09, 2013, 03:21:26 PM
Very interesting and I hope to your support project. Smiley
CureCoin Lead Dev
May 09, 2013, 03:18:43 PM
Is this going to be related to folding@home or boinc? Or it will be a standalone project?

Initially I was going to focus on Folding@home. I was planning to add Bionc eventually anyways. Folding@home is dedicated to only finding cures, so I'd prefer to launch with just folding@home, and add bionc later after we make an impact on folding@home.
donator
May 09, 2013, 03:03:20 PM
CureCoin Lead Dev
May 09, 2013, 03:01:19 PM
Nice!!

Will it be possible to mine this sustainably on a dual core laptop? Now that would be cool  Cool

Yes, CPU's do a pretty nice job of folding.
CureCoin Lead Dev
May 09, 2013, 02:59:23 PM
Why such a hate? Of course if you really make it happen for a good purpose I will hand it over. No problem.

The OP is a really hateful anti-social individual. Quite sad as this could have been quite interesting. I hope this comes to nothing and someone that's actually remotely likable takes over (so don't hand over the domain).

What makes me a really hateful person for wanting to make a FAIR release of a coin that is designed to support finding cures for deadly painful diseases???

wachtwoord, you will have to try to understand that i had no idea you are only owning 1 6000 series card. with the questions you were asking and the amount of posts you have, i figured you must have a room full of computers ready to instamine. Can we call a truce on this? Obviously a person with only one card is not going to destroy my coin. You have to understand, there is a line of people waiting for every coin with the bad intention of pump and dump style coin destruction. I made the mistake of guessing you were one of those high power miners.

I think you confuse where my hate lies. I hate drug companies for ripping us off. I hate the actions of most world governments. I also highly dislike pump n dump coins.

I especially hate that I know if this coin is not released properly, it will be raped like the rest of them.. so starting difficulty is going to end up being quite high. And absolutely no early adopter bonuses.

On another note, Im making some progress, and will be in contact with some experts in this field to make sure this launch is fair, stable, and trustworthy.
Activity: 115
Merit: 10
May 09, 2013, 01:19:10 PM
If this project is for real, at last my power costs will go to some good course, beyond heating our apartment atm (it's winter here in the Southern hemisphere!)
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
May 09, 2013, 01:08:32 PM
perhaps after you finish the coin you should make an announcement that you will be releasing it in a week or two weeks from that day. and give a certain date and time.
Activity: 61
Merit: 10
May 09, 2013, 12:08:33 PM
I really hope this works out.
legendary
Activity: 882
Merit: 1001
May 09, 2013, 10:18:08 AM
support you
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
May 09, 2013, 10:15:49 AM
Why such a hate? Of course if you really make it happen for a good purpose I will hand it over. No problem.

The OP is a really hateful anti-social individual. Quite sad as this could have been quite interesting. I hope this comes to nothing and someone that's actually remotely likable takes over (so don't hand over the domain).
donator
May 08, 2013, 10:27:12 PM
This currency if it ever sees the light, might have a surprising effect, and not the one you might expect.
Monetary incentives for altruistic projects might have a paradoxical effect of actually diminishing the altruistic activities once the monetary incentives are gone (if it is planned as a deflationary currency à la bitcoin)

This phenomena is well known and studied in motivation psychology.
Extrinsic incentives can destroy intrinsic motivations.

So, be careful in how you design this, as there will be an extra variable to deal with.

So in other words greedy kids won't do anything here because they don't see value in supporting something for a good cause?  

No, let me bring you a very interesting experiment.
There was a classroom with kids who naturally enjoyed reading books and other kids who didn't even touch a book.
The researchers brought a monetary incentive for reading, naturally those who didn't read books started reading them and those who were originally reading kept reading.
When the researchers stopped with the incentives, instead of falling back to the original baseline of readers/no-readers, it fell even further back: even those who naturally enjoyed reading stopped reading books.

The extrinsic motivation (monetary incentive) destroyed the intrinsic motivation (the pleasure for reading for the sake of reading).
There are Activities that are more rewarding for the sake of doing good or something cool.

There were other failed projects of social networks where users were rewarded with money if they brought friends to their networks. It sounded like an amazing idea at first, getting paid for something that you are already doing anyways: but they all failed miserably. The moment they fusioned rewards for pleasurable activities it was a death sentence for those projects.

Donating time and CPU power for folding@home for the sake of it is good, in fact they are generating several petaflops by their own.
Now, any attempt to fusion folding@home or boinc with cryptocurrencies MIGHT in fact endanger those projects.

This is a big red alert, and it must be planned very carefully.
Activity: 874
Merit: 1000
May 08, 2013, 10:16:21 PM
This currency if it ever sees the light, might have a surprising effect, and not the one you might expect.
Monetary incentives for altruistic projects might have a paradoxical effect of actually diminishing the altruistic activities once the monetary incentives are gone (if it is planned as a deflationary currency à la bitcoin)

So, be careful in how you design this, as there will be an extra variable to deal with.

So in other words greedy kids won't do anything here because they don't see value in supporting something for a good cause? 
donator
May 08, 2013, 10:13:04 PM

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
1EDwkxCjCMGGNQqZdxa8FwheMHXSoQe4TU
May 08, 2013, 08:38:45 PM
I registred it thinking that someone will do pump and dump coin from it and I could make some profit from it - that is all and I do not see problem with it. And looking at your signature I am not 100% percent sure that you are REALLY going to create same as you promise.
As I wrote earlier I definitely support coins which have better purpose
There is about 1/3 of a chance that I will get cancer in my life, so there is no reason to be against this
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
May 08, 2013, 08:38:02 PM
I really hope this coin leads to a cure for cancer so that its achievements match the self-importance of its creator.
Pages:
Jump to: