Author

Topic: [ANN] Ethereum: Welcome to the Beginning - page 1285. (Read 2003740 times)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10
January 27, 2014, 01:29:49 PM
This coin tries to do so much stuff at the same time.

This won't work well.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
January 27, 2014, 01:11:27 PM
Lets have a more technical discussion please

I agree. I keep coming back to this thread *hoping* to see an actual discussion on the technical merits, challenges, and risks, but the trolls only want to talk about the IPO funding.

The good news about this thread is that it's helping me build my ignore list rather rapidly =)

14 posts? Ffs. All in this thread? Did you make an account just for this thread? Who's the troll here?

This thread and the middlecoin thread are the only ones I'm interested in. /shrug

P.S. You HAVE heard of lurking, haven't you? I'm much more active over here: https://litecointalk.org/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=19254
Activity: 70
January 27, 2014, 01:08:02 PM
There don't appear to be a lot of undecided people in this thread, so this post probably won't even get read, but here's what I think about the IPO:

Vitalik said they can make a go of it with only 500 BTC raised. If they raise more than that, they have plans on how they can use the money to further their ecosystem. However, there is absolutely no way they could ever spend more than 30,000 BTC, so they are capping the investment at that level.

There is a difference between asking for a certain amount of money ("This IPO needs to raise 500 BTC or we're calling it off") and CAPPING the amount of money that can be raised. Vitalik's target for the IPO is 500 BTC--which is $400,000 at today's exchange rate and implies a $600,000 market cap with the premine. Now if they raise more, they have plans on how they can spend it (bounties for a better PoW/PoS system, application writers to get a jump start on the ecosystem, etc.), but they don't actually need one penny more than the 500 BTC he has stated is a minimum.

With respect for the guy who used to work at Goldman Sachs, my first impression was "Good...GS doesn't hire idiots." I'd be happy if they had ex-NSA guys working on the cryptography, ex-Goldman Sachs or Chase guys working on the financial markets, ex-NYSE guys working on the automated exchanges...the key word in each case is "EX."

No it's not. You've just made up the "EX" part.

Other than I completely agree with you - It is REALLY encouraging knowing that some non-idiots are working on 30,000 BTC project.
What more could we ask for!!!

Here everyone.
We have EX Goldman Sachs, non-idiot types. Give us all your money, you know it's all good.
Besides we also have 19yr genius, and you know in your heart that his motives are scientific and pure.

What better recommendations do you want?
Do you want to be left out when he finds holy crypto grail? OFC NOT

PS
[sorry for sarcasm, I know its not the best form]
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
January 27, 2014, 01:05:27 PM

I agree. I keep coming back to this thread *hoping* to see an actual discussion on the technical merits, challenges, and risks, but the trolls only want to talk about the IPO funding.

The good news about this thread is that it's helping me build my ignore list rather rapidly =)

14 posts? Ffs. All in this thread? Did you make an account just for this thread? Who's the troll here?
legendary
January 27, 2014, 12:56:03 PM

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
January 27, 2014, 12:48:05 PM
If I have .1 BTC to invest, will I be able to invest that small of an amount?

Yep

Lowest is 0.01 BTC
Activity: 448
electroneum.com
January 27, 2014, 12:44:36 PM
If I have .1 BTC to invest, will I be able to invest that small of an amount?
Activity: 212
January 27, 2014, 12:35:52 PM
Good luck
Activity: 364
January 27, 2014, 12:33:57 PM
In for one  Grin

Theres been about 9 posters similar to this guy (newbie saying they are "in Grin") on this thread. This kind of marketing is not necessary. Lets have a more technical discussion please

This is the classic pump strategy...

relax. its just a mere irritant. dont go off the deep end and call it a p/d, all things considered its clearly not.
Activity: 323
January 27, 2014, 12:29:10 PM
In for one  Grin

Theres been about 9 posters similar to this guy (newbie saying they are "in Grin") on this thread. This kind of marketing is not necessary. Lets have a more technical discussion please

This is the classic pump strategy...
Activity: 364
January 27, 2014, 12:27:51 PM
In for one  Grin

Activity: 742
Merit: 501
January 27, 2014, 12:24:41 PM
In for one  Grin
Activity: 196
January 27, 2014, 12:24:04 PM
Will this coin be cpu or gpu mined?
Should be both.

From what I understand gpu mining is not going to give you that much of an advantage over cpu.

So when will mining be possible? After feb 1st or after the fundraiser limit has been reached after 2 months?

I don't like this, they remind me to HSBC not allowing people to withdraw: "The fiduciary members will be vested over a 12 month period and cannot divest more than ⅓ of their position per year thereafter"

1. Mining is slated to start after the completion of 2 months from 1st Feb, so the earliest date is 1st April
2. You and I are not fiduciary members. Fiduciary members in this case are the 4 founders, early stakeholders and partners, not even those that receive remuneration/bounties in ETH for being part of the project.

Alright, you mentioned gpu not much advantage over cpu, but doesn't gpu have more hash rate thus more coins that will be mined?

http://wiki.ethereum.org/index.php/Dagger

I don't know how much a significant advantage gpu will give over cpu. The devs of this project want to ensure that mining hardware does not get centralized so that only people with deep pockets can invest in ASIC hardware. They predict that CPU mining will still be possible with this and specialized hardware will be impractical.

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
January 27, 2014, 12:18:14 PM
There don't appear to be a lot of undecided people in this thread, so this post probably won't even get read, but here's what I think about the IPO:

Vitalik said they can make a go of it with only 500 BTC raised. If they raise more than that, they have plans on how they can use the money to further their ecosystem. However, there is absolutely no way they could ever spend more than 30,000 BTC, so they are capping the investment at that level.

There is a difference between asking for a certain amount of money ("This IPO needs to raise 500 BTC or we're calling it off") and CAPPING the amount of money that can be raised. Vitalik's target for the IPO is 500 BTC--which is $400,000 at today's exchange rate and implies a $600,000 market cap with the premine. Now if they raise more, they have plans on how they can spend it (bounties for a better PoW/PoS system, application writers to get a jump start on the ecosystem, etc.), but they don't actually need one penny more than the 500 BTC he has stated is a minimum.

With respect for the guy who used to work at Goldman Sachs, my first impression was "Good...GS doesn't hire idiots." I'd be happy if they had ex-NSA guys working on the cryptography, ex-Goldman Sachs or Chase guys working on the financial markets, ex-NYSE guys working on the automated exchanges...the key word in each case is "EX."

You should also probably remember that the ethereum guys were in Miami this weekend presenting to the heavy-hitters of the crypto world, which is likely why they haven't posted much in the last few days.

Only 500BTC, bless their hearts they can get by on such little money.  Wink
Activity: 294
January 27, 2014, 12:13:17 PM

You should also probably remember that the ethereum guys were in Miami this weekend presenting to the heavy-hitters of the crypto world, which is likely why they haven't posted much in the last few days.

No one's saying Goldman hires idiots but they're not exactly big on caring for their clients either. They were well trained to skin the customers (sheep aka muppets) and make money for Goldman. http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/oct/22/goldman-sachs-muppets-greg-smith-clients

p.s: Why you have such poor posting history? You've only started to post in this thread?
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1008
January 27, 2014, 12:12:43 PM
Will this coin be cpu or gpu mined?
Should be both.

From what I understand gpu mining is not going to give you that much of an advantage over cpu.

So when will mining be possible? After feb 1st or after the fundraiser limit has been reached after 2 months?

I don't like this, they remind me to HSBC not allowing people to withdraw: "The fiduciary members will be vested over a 12 month period and cannot divest more than ⅓ of their position per year thereafter"

1. Mining is slated to start after the completion of 2 months from 1st Feb, so the earliest date is 1st April
2. You and I are not fiduciary members. Fiduciary members in this case are the 4 founders, early stakeholders and partners, not even those that receive remuneration/bounties in ETH for being part of the project.

Alright, you mentioned gpu not much advantage over cpu, but doesn't gpu have more hash rate thus more coins that will be mined?
legendary
January 27, 2014, 11:58:22 AM

legendary
Activity: 1498
January 27, 2014, 11:57:42 AM
Vitalik is a 19 y.o. child - IQ is irrelevant here, he can be gamed very easily...

Bill Gates founded Micro$oft at 20. Say what you will about Microsoft and its collusion with power structures... Investing on day 1 might have been a good  move,  had you had the opportunity to do so... Which of the frontrunners in this space...Etherium, Mastercoin, NXT, Invictus... which are currency, smart property solutions, and which are distributed OS?
I have invested in all of them and I will invest in Ethereum too, only difference is I know I invest to Google or Microsoft here...

No anarcho/will change the world illusions!

Klee, would you mind saying ratios of your investing into Mastercoin, NXT, BitShares and Ethereum?

I have no agenda behind this other than to get another perspective for my own investing.
Hard to say ratios but I initially had about 350MSC, 30M NXT, 2222XCP and 200PTS (mined) - I will invest somewhere between 5-10btc in Ethereum.
Activity: 70
January 27, 2014, 11:55:33 AM
I was so impressed by Ethereum at BTC Miami! Ethereum is definitely the future.
Activity: 168
January 27, 2014, 11:54:38 AM

even if Rothschild himself was involved in this, with the support of Obama, you guys will always find something..
even a bag of dorito's are illuminati triangles..

what i would like to know without too much technical info is how a simple soul can get some of this without investing.

is it possible to use a cloud server?  this is cpu only?  i swear i've tried to read the whitepaper but it goes above my head..

people will only answer me if they know i'm a high lvl programmer or big investor.. so vitalik tell me how i can be part of this.
Jump to: