Author

Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping - page 395. (Read 2115876 times)

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

1. Factom is geared more for indexing data rather than storing it.  in some cases they are one in the same, but the system makes no long term promise about quickly serving your data back to you whenever you request it.  Think of it like pruning in bitcoin.  Something the size of an omni or counterparty transaction would easily fit in an entry.

Now if you store a local copy of the data you need, then the factom data structures give you the ability to provide a proof later on to peers.
It really at least needs to be a fast automated proof.
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Hello Factom community. Back during the factoid crowd sale, I heard about this tech and bought some factoid on a whim (good choice Wink). Now with the recent surge in price I have been researching Factom and I have some questions:

1. First I need to get something straight. As far as I can tell, Factom is not for storing data. Is this correct? It seems to me that one could store data in entries, but it would only be stored on the Factom full nodes and it would supposedly be expensive, and so rather than storing data, users are intended to store hashes of data. Please correct/validate/enlighten me.

1.1 I couldn't find in the whitepaper how much space 1 entry credit purchases. How much space does it purchase? I'm trying to figure out how realistic it is to store data.

2. If Factom does not store data, but more likely data hashes, how does Factom secure information? In one of Factom's YouTube videos a use case for Factom is described as preventing the Sony hack; however, I fail to see how Factom could prevent such a hack. Sony's data is still on their servers and if a hacker breached those servers he would still be able to acquire sensitive information and do with it as he pleases.

3. Another question about data. If I lose the data that I have secured with Factom, I, nor anyone else, can prove whether or not it existed. Correct?

4. Related to the last question. As far as I understand it, anyone can submit entries into a chain, correct? If so, data loss becomes an issue again. I watched another YouTube video where Paul Snow is speaking at a conference in Dubai I think. In this video he explains how Bank of America could have reviewed a Factom chain to insure all the records were present and correct. I don't understand how Factom can prove if all the records were there. If all the records were hashed into "Countrywide Mortgage Records" and after review there were hashes that were unaccounted for, how does Bank of America know if these unaccounted hashes are important records or just spam?

5. It seems that Factom becomes successful and widely used it will be storing impressive amounts of data. In a world where millions or billions of entries are being submitted every year I can't help but think that the amount of data a full node will have to store will simply be too much. This is especially true when one considers that Federated servers are not being rewarded for their storage; they are only being rewarded for further entry submissions. This means that as time passes the ratio of the amount of data being stored compared to the reward will get bigger and bigger. While normal data centers, say Amazon Cloud Services, receives constant compensation for the continued use of storage, Factom Federated Servers don't. Please help me better understand the economics of Factom and how this problem (if it even is a problem) will be overcome.

5.1 It also seems inevitable that data centers will be the only ones capable of being full nodes. Is this correct? intended?

6. How come the amount of Federated Servers and Audit Servers are fixed? It seems to me that the more there are, the better. So why not just have all full nodes be in the pool of possible Federated and Audit Servers and then split the group in two according to the mentioned voting system?

7. After reading the whitepaper, it is still unclear to me whether directory blocks are made after every one minute or after every 10 minutes. The whitepaper states they are made after every minute, but on examination of the protocol through the block explorer, I get the idea they are made every 10 minutes. Please elaborate.

If answers to these question are posted somewhere else, forgive me. I couldn't find any. I also hope that this isn't overbearing, I just want to better understand how Factom works as I really hope it succeeds. Thank you for your time.

EDIT: One more question

8. How is the decentralized Federated Server model better than a centralized company that does the same thing? Since everything is validated client side, Couldn't a central entity assemble hashes and stamp them into the blockchain?

1. Factom is geared more for indexing data rather than storing it.  in some cases they are one in the same, but the system makes no long term promise about quickly serving your data back to you whenever you request it.  Think of it like pruning in bitcoin.  Something the size of an omni or counterparty transaction would easily fit in an entry.

Now if you store a local copy of the data you need, then the factom data structures give you the ability to provide a proof later on to peers.

1.1 The current target price is about $0.001 per KiB, which equates to $1000/GiB.  When the system goes decentralized in the future, it is not knowable what the Federated Servers will set this price at though.

2. It has more to do with a holistic approach to access control.  If an element of immutable time is required for access, then it gives sysadmins time to respond to certain types of attacks.

3. two points.  
a. We expect that communities will share their data subsets amongst each other freely.  If property records are secured for some country, then it makes sense for various citizens in that country to download and share up the public data.  People share up bittorrent data for free to members of their communities who want their particular datasets.
b. This is all public data, and someone will record it.  Take centuries old newspapers for example.  They can still be found, just not a the corner shop.  You would need to go to a library to get it, or maybe pay a fee.  I don't think the data will ever go away as long as there is some chance that it may be valuable, but it may be harder to get.

4. Countrywide would sign the hashes before placing them into factom.  spam would be unsigned and could be ignored.

5. Paying for upload bandwidth in a distributed way is a really tricky unsolved problem in general.  Both storj and maidsafe are exploring solutions to this.  Every solution Paul and I explored could be gamed one way or another.  If it is as successful as you are claiming, then the inflation subsidy would more than pay for upload services.  There is no mining in factom so inflation does not get dissipated in electricity bills.

I made some back of the envolope numbers which Paul will present in Miami about how the data is segregated.  I guess it isn't really an announcement, just an analysis, so I'll share it here.  There are lots of wild guesses here, but it gives you the idea of how it will scale.

This is data per year.
Assume:
50 million shipping containers, each with 10 entries per year
117 million mortgages with 12 entries per year
5 million mortgage originations/title transfers with 30 entries per year
300 million health records with 10 entries per year
1 stock exchange with 1500 companies with 10 million entries per day each
assume 1k per entry.

total data in all the layers per year is 26.4 terabytes.
The shared part in blue is the directory blocks.  This comes to 313 gigabytes.
the Entry Credit payment overhead (yellow) is only to prevent spam in the present.  it can be discarded by most people, and they can just store the balance info. (think UTXO set vs full chain in Bitcoin)  Notice factoids do not even show up on the graph.  those are just a way to get entry credits in the first place, and there would be a 10,000-100,000 ratio in EC commits compared to factoid transfers.

Only very small subsets of the red Entry Block data is only needed by the applications to prove their states.  your application would only need a small sliver of the red.

If the annual user data is 19.5 terabytes, you would only need to sift through blue 300 gigabytes to find the data for your application.

5.1 data in factom is separated into chains, which are a clean way to segregate applications and what data you are storing.  I imagine in the future, you will only be storing and uploading the data which is important to your application.  There are also plans to segment the network, so peers form subnets which only relay some of the data.

6. Because Sibyl.  We get advantages from having a predefined authority set.  As that set gets bigger it gets harder to manage.  Also there need to be few enough of them to matter to vote out.  see Dunbars number.

7. yes, sorry, we tweaked the protocol between the whitepaper publishing and launch.  They are indeed every 10 minutes.  we have a few other mistakes in the paper: https://github.com/FactomProject/FactomDocs/blob/master/Factom_Whitepaper_Errata.md

8. Thats where we started out with, but that one party could censor an individual while leaving the rest of the network working.  would all of bitcoin switch over to a new network just because the miners were censoring one particular person?  the next step is to allow free entry, but then to prove the negative, an application would need to download data from all possible sources, making spam trivial.

more thoughts here: https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2015-March/007721.html
legendary
Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006
Factoids are still looking good, as the top of the previous channel held as a support line, meaning we might be in a new rising channel one higher. We're also above both moving averages and have room to grow before reaching the resistance lines.

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
This coin is still strong after the recent correction. Although I don't know much about this coin, I hope it can continue to increase in price.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
Positive also: I check the Block Explorer nearly every day to see how much FCT's were converted into Entry Credits and out of the system. From yesterday to today it was about 84 Factoids if I'm right. Total Factoids now: 8,753,734

Don't know why, but it's the highest number I recognized in such a short time frame.
All right, at this time was spent 85 factoids Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128
Positive also: I check the Block Explorer nearly every day to see how much FCT's were converted into Entry Credits and out of the system. From yesterday to today it was about 84 Factoids if I'm right. Total Factoids now: 8,753,734

Don't know why, but it's the highest number I recognized in such a short time frame.
Activity: 854
I was poking around and found this positive news:
CargoChain is built with Meteor, using Ethereum and IPFS as the underlying technologies to handle contractual relations and the "eternification" of documents. In the future we intend to include Factom as an additional source to store document hashes at for further security/verification.
https://github.com/domschiener/cargochain

CargoChain was the WINNER of the Shanghai Blockchain Hackathon (the one where the Factom team came in 3rd). 
Activity: 251
Merit: 250

The Shanghai Blockchain Hackathon Overview

The Factom team attended the Shanghai Hackathon, read our blogpost to find out how it went.

http://blog.factom.org/post/137356012094/the-shanghai-blockchain-hackathon-overview

legendary
Activity: 1057
The Experience Layer of the Decentralized Internet
keep going high?
legendary
Activity: 1268
Merit: 1006
Still super happy with the way the price is going. Check out this chart a friend showed me:

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
I hope you've read these - http://factom.org/faq

I have  Smiley
The first FAQ should be "What problem does this solve?"
Activity: 8
Merit: 0

I have  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1017
Hello Factom community. Back during the factoid crowd sale, I heard about this tech and bought some factoid on a whim (good choice Wink). Now with the recent surge in price I have been researching Factom and I have some questions:

1. First I need to get something straight. As far as I can tell, Factom is not for storing data. Is this correct? It seems to me that one could store data in entries, but it would only be stored on the Factom full nodes and it would supposedly be expensive, and so rather than storing data, users are intended to store hashes of data. Please correct/validate/enlighten me.

1.1 I couldn't find in the whitepaper how much space 1 entry credit purchases. How much space does it purchase? I'm trying to figure out how realistic it is to store data.

2. If Factom does not store data, but more likely data hashes, how does Factom secure information? In one of Factom's YouTube videos a use case for Factom is described as preventing the Sony hack; however, I fail to see how Factom could prevent such a hack. Sony's data is still on their servers and if a hacker breached those servers he would still be able to acquire sensitive information and do with it as he pleases.

3. Another question about data. If I lose the data that I have secured with Factom, I, nor anyone else, can prove whether or not it existed. Correct?

4. Related to the last question. As far as I understand it, anyone can submit entries into a chain, correct? If so, data loss becomes an issue again. I watched another YouTube video where Paul Snow is speaking at a conference in Dubai I think. In this video he explains how Bank of America could have reviewed a Factom chain to insure all the records were present and correct. I don't understand how Factom can prove if all the records were there. If all the records were hashed into "Countrywide Mortgage Records" and after review there were hashes that were unaccounted for, how does Bank of America know if these unaccounted hashes are important records or just spam?

5. It seems that Factom becomes successful and widely used it will be storing impressive amounts of data. In a world where millions or billions of entries are being submitted every year I can't help but think that the amount of data a full node will have to store will simply be too much. This is especially true when one considers that Federated servers are not being rewarded for their storage; they are only being rewarded for further entry submissions. This means that as time passes the ratio of the amount of data being stored compared to the reward will get bigger and bigger. While normal data centers, say Amazon Cloud Services, receives constant compensation for the continued use of storage, Factom Federated Servers don't. Please help me better understand the economics of Factom and how this problem (if it even is a problem) will be overcome.

5.1 It also seems inevitable that data centers will be the only ones capable of being full nodes. Is this correct? intended?

6. How come the amount of Federated Servers and Audit Servers are fixed? It seems to me that the more there are, the better. So why not just have all full nodes be in the pool of possible Federated and Audit Servers and then split the group in two according to the mentioned voting system?

7. After reading the whitepaper, it is still unclear to me whether directory blocks are made after every one minute or after every 10 minutes. The whitepaper states they are made after every minute, but on examination of the protocol through the block explorer, I get the idea they are made every 10 minutes. Please elaborate.

If answers to these question are posted somewhere else, forgive me. I couldn't find any. I also hope that this isn't overbearing, I just want to better understand how Factom works as I really hope it succeeds. Thank you for your time.

8. How is the decentralized Federated Server model better than a centralized company that does the same thing? Since everything is validated client side, Couldn't a central entity assemble hashes and stamp them into the blockchain?

Activity: 123
Merit: 10
I want to sell a domain of factom.cc, PM me if you are interesting.
Activity: 8
Merit: 0

Activity: 830
Merit: 500
Hmm..Factom
OK...i want to sell domain bitcoin wallet : www.bitcoinwallet.id for 285,000 FCT
Bonus : domain name litecoin.id and bitxapo.com
Any one interest..please PM mee  Smiley soon..!!
Awesome,you have good domains name boss.
absolutely,very valuable domain name for bitcoin and litecoin. I can predict what can we do with this domains name :

*bitcoinwallet.id : bitcoin wallet with id
*bitxapo.com : bitcoin wallet application,i think more better name than xapo.com   Smiley
*litecoin.id : domain pages litecoin community or we can make litecoin id

big value portal name for business with bitcoin and litecoin. @rudolfaxl good offer
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1001
Let me get this straight…
Two hundred and eighty-five thousand factom for those domains? Dude, you deserve your own meme!
You made my day Smiley
Buy FCT and then Sell for BTC..??,and then i give offer domains BTC and LTC for FCT  Grin
That's Fair..??agree that  Cool  

Activity: 812
Hmm..Factom
OK...i want to sell domain bitcoin wallet : www.bitcoinwallet.id for 285,000 FCT
Bonus : domain name litecoin.id and bitxapo.com
Any one interest..please PM mee  Smiley soon..!!
Dude, your asking price is over $300,000 USD, right now.

Let me get this straight…
Two hundred and eighty-five thousand factom for those domains? Dude, you deserve your own meme!
You made my day Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1098
Angel investor.
I want to sell 1714 shares of Factom Inc., PM me if you are interesting.

at this point i think you'd get a better rate on exchanges

They are not coins but the Shares of Factom Inc.
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Careful -
"This is early beta software you should use this guide at your own risk, we suggest not to use large amount of factoids in case there may be issues and/or bugs."

Indeed, Factom is still an early stage project with no guarantees.  factoidpapermill is still early, but has way fewer moving parts than other ways of generating keys.  It can also be run on an offline computer booted with a live linux CD then printed or written down.  This way when the computer is turned off, all the private key data gets erased when the ram dissipates.  

walletapp also runs offline.  you can try importing the newly created private key in walletapp to make sure it gives you the same public address.

Also, the internet is a scary place with hackers and security holes all over the place.  Certificate authorities can even be spoofed by men in the middle, so sometimes even you can't trust HTTPS.

We are hoping Factom can lay some groundwork for much better internet security, way better than the cobbled together system we have now.  It is going to take a while to get to a point where these systems are possible.

Bitcoin solves so many more problems in the world other than just moving money.  Hopefully it will help make software distribution actually secure.

Code:
$ sha256sum *
cd245ae20668027b644a0e7175b6c6955c9994e7034cfb30e54497c3d6a0eacf  factoidpapermill.exe
f56f10a3ce1643e9f721bd0031d5ee7622a36d1f393af4c8b7ba7f6d089e03d4  factoidpapermill-linux
9eab8daf48c416ef2cce0fc35205cabe6a3644e220d0a218d46a0b080d2f9578  factoidpapermill-mac

We also made walletmgr, which can export the seed used to derive all the keys in the wallet.  This is intended to give a paper backup which can be used in a disaster.  The disaster recovery software hasn't been written yet, but having the paper seed backup will allow recovery.

it doesn't have binaries yet, so you need golang installed to run it.

Code:
#to install
go get -v github.com/FactomProject/walletmgr

#to run
walletmgr exportseed
Jump to: