Author

Topic: [ANN] FACTOM - Introducing Honesty to Record-Keeping - page 404. (Read 2115876 times)

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1128

Thanks! Let's see what would be a good time to buy in after this huge rally, any suggestions?

I believed that the price would go down to 0.001 but it seems to stabilize. The volume is still very high. And the team says they will release a first Milestone 2 candidate by the end of the year - the next 10 days. Even if there should be a delay it will be released in the next weeks. So, I don't expect a long time without news of progress. But if we should see some quiet weeks I would expect the price to go down a little bit.

The "problem" is (and what I like in Factom): Surprises... The news about Azure made obvious that the team doesn't say weeks before what will happen. Good news come out of nothing. The same with the chinese exchange. That's the main reason why I won't sell because of the risk that I could lose connection to the market. It's so damn fast when there are good news. It's enough to sleep 5 hours and the price is up more than 100%.

Under the line, what I would do if I wouldn't be invested: I would buy in with maybe 20% and than watch the market. If it should go down I would buy more to get better prices. If it should stabilize with stable volume in this range, I also would go all in after some days, because that would be a sign for an new base.

But, that's just my opinion for now. I could be wrong. In general it's about the own opinion if you see real potential in Factom or not. If yes and if it should realize it's still cheap.
legendary
Exciting, but do your research

From Paul, "The token supply can grow (if speculators drive up the price) until the price stabilizes. And the token supply can fall (if speculators drive the price down) until the price stabilizes. But in both cases, the stable price is when the value of the token matches the money real applications are spending to buy Entry Credits in order to put data into the protocol. That is because the 73K factoids generated each year naturally trends to the value of the factoids drained from the supply to write into the protocol. If people are spending 1 million dollars to put data into factom per year, then 73K factoids should be worth 1 million dollars".

Currently real money spent equals approx $6000. 6000/73000 = 8 cents / FCT

If the world is spending $1 mil FCT on contracts then price might be around $13

Does this sound about right?

No, it's not really correct. It's about the question at which price will inflation and consumption be leveled out.

If we calculate with 1 Mio Dollar per year:

Inflation will be (there is no inflation yet) at 10% of the total supply if I remember it right, so it would be about 870,000 FCT's per year.

So, the calculation for 1 Mio Dollar per year invested in EC's is:

1,000,000 Dollar / 870,000 FCT's = 1,1 Dollar per FCT

But: 1 Mio Dollar is not that much. It's just a number. If you take a look here, about the data-volume in time of some companies:
http://pennystocks.la/internet-in-real-time/

I'm not sure if it's still correct but if it was it won't be less, rather more. Focus on dropbox, just for example:

Dropbox has (in this visualization) about 690,000 files saved per minute.

Per day that is: 496,800,000 files.

If we would calculate that as Entrys in Factom, just for fun as a "brainstorming-theory", it would be:

496,800,000 Entry Credits to each 0.001 Dollar = 496,800 Dollar per day. Inflation is about 2,400 FCT's per day.

496,800 Dollar / 2,400 FCT's = 207 dollar per FCT.

Of course, the question is: Is something like that realistic? Will dropbox use Factom to record their Uploads? No, I don't believe that because most of the data on Dropbox won't be very important and most of the users don't even pay for it.

But, dropbox is just one cloud-storage company. Factom is such an open system that it can be used for nearly everything. Banks, exchanges, medical-records, little companies and big ones, individuals all over the world and so on. From it's base-potential it's very unlimited.

And, if we would have data of the trading of exchanges, or even stock-speed-trading, and calculate something like that, I don't know the result but it would be much much more. Or medical records would be really big and that's absolutely realistic in my opinion. Or recording transactions of banks. It's very unlimited.

With that being said: I can't know what will happen but I believe it will be extrem. If Factom won't fail it will be used. I believe it's that easy. And than it's just a question of time that there also will be much volume. So, the current price is okay in some ways. But if we see it out of speculator-perspective I still see a lot more potential. The current peak was because of azure and even more because of the chinese exchange. If there should be a deal with a bank or whatever, the market would anticipate not just that deal but the potential for 2 more deals. And with every deal the confidence that there will be more will rise. With other words: If the market will see safe signs for success it will overdrive.

That's a reason why I call the current peak in price a correction and not a pump, because those signs were already there months ago.  

And: What I really really like in Factom and the FCT-market: The speculation doesn't hurt. The use of the system is about the fixed EC-price, not about the FCT-price. With other words: The FCT-price could fly to 100 Dollar, just out of speculation, but it wouldn't be more expensive to use the system. It would be still 1/10 cent for an entry. The same with the distribution. In a normal crypto-currency the lack of distribution is a problem. It won't be ever a problem of Factom as a system.

To make a long story short: Factom, if it will be realized the way it's planned, is a best-case scenario for every Investor. There will be a calculable price because of the use but there will be also some hype everytime there will be good news. And because it's openness the possibility that we will see times with good news like bangs on a drum is high.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

Thanks! Let's see what would be a good time to buy in after this huge rally, any suggestions?
legendary
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
legendary
So how/where can one buy these tokens/coin?
Activity: 247
Merit: 250
There's no doubt the potential is massive.

The FCT price can be 'throttled back' or managed if speculation gets out of hand where as no limit for BTC
Activity: 854

Think about the almost unquantifiable number of contracts written around the world each year.  Think of the number of companies that exist solely to enable contracts in some form.  Why store those contracts on a closed, centralized system that might have zero, one, or maybe two backups when you can have it stored across thousands or millions of computers.  Why pay high fees to a proprietary service when you can have market forces determine fair value.

One million in contracts means a Factoid is $13.00 (it is currently $0.75).  I see no reason Factom won't be handling billions in contracts if Mr. Snow delivers what he is promising.

And contracts is just one small facet of what is possible with Factom.  Factom is the data layer for bitcoin -- the place all the cool shit happens.  As I said, bitcoin is tcp/ip and Factom is www.  WWW is where all the cool shit is.  As factom.org says:
Use the blockchain to power a remarkable range of applications, including audit systems, medical records, supply chain management, voting systems, property titles, legal applications, and financial systems.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbRVPBFiy64
Activity: 247
Exciting, but do your research

Paul wrote, "The token supply can grow (if speculators drive up the price) until the price stabilizes. And the token supply can fall (if speculators drive the price down) until the price stabilizes. But in both cases, the stable price is when the value of the token matches the money real applications are spending to buy Entry Credits in order to put data into the protocol. That is because the 73K factoids generated each year naturally trends to the value of the factoids drained from the supply to write into the protocol. If people are spending 1 million dollars to put data into factom per year, then 73K factoids should be worth 1 million dollars".

Currently $US spent equals approx $6000 per year (i realise this is unrealistically small right now) but 6000/73000 = 8 cents / FCT

Activity: 854
Can somebody tell me why  this coin is going to the moon?

And is it still smart to step in? or is it FOMO now
Think of the bitcoin protocol as tcp/ip

Well, the www just got invented and Paul Snow is the next Tim Berners Lee.
legendary
Can somebody tell me why  this coin is going to the moon?

And is it still smart to step in? or is it FOMO now
legendary
Activity: 924
Well, I've been waiting hours after entering my password into Polo's deposit field. That could mean I entered the password incorrectly - which would be a lot better outcome than the "uh-oh!"

It might be a poloniex hiccup, or you may have been one of the lucky ones that had some trouble during the purchase. 

You can run keymaker to see if you got lucky.  It will be able to identify the problem if it is one of the known issues.

https://github.com/FactomProject/keymaker

The binaries can be run on a livecd linux version on an offline computer for best security.

Thanks! I checked my balance and all of them are still at that address.

So I might have entered the words wrong at Polo after all..
legendary
Activity: 1946
I buy it!!!
I hope 2-3x
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
Well, I've been waiting hours after entering my password into Polo's deposit field. That could mean I entered the password incorrectly - which would be a lot better outcome than the "uh-oh!"

It might be a poloniex hiccup, or you may have been one of the lucky ones that had some trouble during the purchase. 

You can run keymaker to see if you got lucky.  It will be able to identify the problem if it is one of the known issues.

https://github.com/FactomProject/keymaker

The binaries can be run on a livecd linux version on an offline computer for best security.
legendary
Activity: 924
Is there an easy way to get my factom from the Koinify ICO? Thank you

1. The bottom of the Factom GUI wallet allows you to import your FCT by Koinify passphrase

2. On poloniex go to the page where you make deposits. You will see there is a place to enter your koinify passphrase.

legendary

"What is the will be the most influential #BaaS [Blockchain-as-a-Service] being added to @Microsoft @Azure?"

- Eris Industries
- CoinPrism
- Ethereum
- Factom

Vote in the tweet: https://twitter.com/creiddouthat/status/678723048967675906
Activity: 350
Activity: 449
don t touch my Bits
we all have seen this type of pump many times in crypto world most of them ended up bad hope this not one.
Activity: 350
I like the idea of factom. Want to invest some Bitcoin without loading the software a/o the blockchain.
Is there a secure paper wallet generator available?

The best way to securely hold factoids is with a paper wallet.  I make them with freshkeymaker.  

https://github.com/FactomProject/keymaker/tree/master/freshkeymaker/bin

The secret key can later be imported into the wallet.

tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
I like the idea of factom. Want to invest some Bitcoin without loading the software a/o the blockchain.
Is there a secure paper wallet generator available?
Jump to: