Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN - IN CONSTRUCTION] PhysiTrack - A General Tracker for Physical Bitcoin - page 2. (Read 598 times)

Activity: 541
Merit: 362
Rules not Rulers
Well this is awesome! I actually started a thread a month or two back:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.54448236

about setting up a provenance database of all physical coins that have been sold.

Love, love, love what you are doing! Not sure if you would have the time or bandwidth to add a provenance section, it would involve a lot of website searching and scraping, but it would be awesome if you could. Plus if you haven't learnt it already, website scraping is a cool and surprisingly helpful tool to have in your skill set.

I did not have time to fully flesh anything out, so it may not be super feasible, but figured there were a few ways to go about the physical side of things. Get the public lists of public keys that exist for most of the physicals, and search the internet, but this forum specifically, for mentions of them, look for the [WTS] or [AUCTION] tag in the heading, and then get a timestamp and seller, or it might be easier to do it the other way round, search for the above tags, and scrap any addresses you find the posts under that header. You may have thought of a much better way than that though! Will only get a percentage of coins sold obviously, but it would also raise the collectible section of bitcointalk's profile, and hopefully help it become the only place people want to sell!

I would love to be able to look up the provenance of coins, not only would knowing the history be super fucking cool, but it would help with fake coins, and raise the value of coins with good history.

I'm pretty flat out at the moment, but if you need any advice on setting up huge EC2 instances as cheaply as possible to do any number crunching etc, PM me, I'd be happy to help, it's half my day job.

Super happy to hear this, you'll learn a lot I'm sure, sounds like you landed yourself a cool internship, thanks also to Yogg for doing this, love to see people helping the next generation start their careers! And their bitcoin addiction Wink
Activity: 366
Merit: 29
Holy shit. Go big or go home. This will be an epic tracker.

As a noob (and from personal experience), one that stands out to me as difficult would be lealana coins. There doesnt seem to be public lists posted anywhere for the BTC coins, the addresses of each coin are just passed from seller to buyer.

This will be a great reference for collectors if/when you complete it. Good idea and good luck guys, I look forward to using the final result.
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 3238
The Stone the masons rejected was the cornerstone.
This is great! Thanks guys and also welcome to the forum!
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 3158
Hey there !
Yes, I confirm everything stated in OP is correct. Smiley

I am glad to welcome TheMagnat as a developer intern in my company.
He's doing a hell of a coding job since he started !!

I taught him some of the inner works of Bitcoin and it's blockchain so he can realize that script whichs outputs a file containing the whole set of BTC addresses that have a balance. Basically we recoded an internal blockchain explorer from scratch. Smiley

He told me it's much easier to get ahold of BTC once you understand the underlying tech, but this is another topic ...

We tried his script from block 1 to 304 000 (since block were rather empty so fast processing);
and the sum of BTC in the file was only ~0.02% off compared to the theoritical amount of BTC in existence by that block. We explain this as our script do not take multisig transactions and non-standard transaction into account. (Which isn't a problem for a physical bitcoin tracker)

Now as block got full around block #400,000, the process is heavier and takes more time but we'll soon have it all and will refresh the tracker website that Magnat works on. Smiley

While this operation gets finalized, we are working on the tracker backend. Once we are satisfied, we'll hire a front-end developer to make it nicer and smoother to browse.
The current version is far away from what this tracker will be like once it is finalized.

Our aim is to make the ultimate, global, physical bitcoin tracker.
Eventually, it will also serve as a global reference for the current and already circulating physical Bitcoin.

We welcome any feedback about our project. Smiley
If you have an idea or a remark, or a feature you'd love to see included, please let us know !

Suggestions / To-do list :

- Notify in a visible way when a physical bitcoin is supposedly a scam and/or compromised.
- Add the notable physical bitcoin makers to PhysiTrack. List all the "one time" runs as "Others".
  Great reference with many public addresses : https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/inforeference-master-makeraddresslists-of-lists-2022902 (Thank you so much minerjones!)
Activity: 2
Merit: 72
Hello everyone,

I introduce myself, I'm currently working in Yogg's company as an intern developer.
I am working on a range of tools around the Bitcoin Core and the blockchain.
He tasked me with a few projects including an algorithm that generates a file containing the whole set of Bitcoin addresses that exist and have a balance. This algorithm is theoretically finished but is still going on parsing the blockchain as it is huge. We think the computation should be finished in around 15 days if everything rolls out as planned.

During this time I also started to produce a web application at the request of Yogg,that aims to list as many bitcoin collectible items that have existed, exist and will exist. This project is still in developpement and is unusable without the result of the first algorithm but we have a first version to show you to give you an idea of this app.

Here is the temporary URL we use for the development of the tool :

http://dev-physitrack.bitcoin.paris

We would love you to check it out, and especially to have your feedback on the fonctionnality that are actually available and which ones you would like us to add.

Please note that like I said, the data that is displayed is innacurate due to the fact that our address list w/ balances is still getting generated by our algorithm.
Also the design of the app is still pretty basic but we're going to ask for the help of a front-end developper to make the perfect physical bitcoin tracker which include a wide range of physical bitcoin to track.
Pages:
Jump to: