Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] LocalBitcoins.com - a location-based bitcoin to cash marketplace - page 31. (Read 125889 times)

donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
I really like using localbitcoins.com.

I use it just to make contact and I don't want to make the deals on the site or use the escrow at all. I determine price on spot at the meeting and do the transaction through the blockchain.

It would be cool if there wa be a feature to mark an offer as "contact only". It would work pretty much like it does now, except it doesn't lock in a price. It would still offer the conversation feature.

Is that something you would consider, kangasbros?

That's basically how I want to do it, too. Problem is, kangas want to earn money with that. I would consider charging a fee for verifying passport, address, bank account etc. would be fair enough. You can mark all others as potential scammers some day.

I'd probably even pay a small fee per contact made.

"Fee per contact made" sounds like the advertiser would have to charge some balance for the next 10 contacts? Or the others have to pay to contact you? Neither would work. If I can contact you for free, I can cause costs and damage you with little own effort. If I have to pay to contact you, I will use a different service.

I would consider a listing fee more reasonable. 0.3€/month base fee to list an advertisement. 0.3€ extra to add a picture. 0.3€ extra for spamming potential customers once Wink, …
This way, those that don't care will drop out soon enough or will never actually list in the first place. In general, fees repel people but when I want to be the market maker trading hundreds of € if not thousands with a 3% fee, I'm more than willing to pay a small fee that scares the scammers and spammers away.

true about the contact fee.

A listing fee would also be bad because kangasbros definitely wants to encourage listings. I would pay one if reasonable, though.
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com

I use it just to make contact and I don't want to make the deals on the site or use the escrow at all. I determine price on spot at the meeting and do the transaction through the blockchain.

It would be cool if there wa be a feature to mark an offer as "contact only". It would work pretty much like it does now, except it doesn't lock in a price. It would still offer the conversation feature.

That's basically how I want to do it, too. Problem is, kangas want to earn money with that. I would consider charging a fee for verifying passport, address, bank account etc. would be fair enough. You can mark all others as potential scammers some day.

"Fee per contact made" sounds like the advertiser would have to charge some balance for the next 10 contacts? Or the others have to pay to contact you? Neither would work. If I can contact you for free, I can cause costs and damage you with little own effort. If I have to pay to contact you, I will use a different service.

I would consider a listing fee more reasonable. 0.3€/month base fee to list an advertisement. 0.3€ extra to add a picture. 0.3€ extra for spamming potential customers once Wink, …
This way, those that don't care will drop out soon enough or will never actually list in the first place. In general, fees repel people but when I want to be the market maker trading hundreds of € if not thousands with a 3% fee, I'm more than willing to pay a small fee that scares the scammers and spammers away.
donator

There was this kind of option previously. However some users got very confused since there weren't the transaction option, so I disabled it. I will try to improve the process at some point to suit both needs, however now I'm busy with other stuff. You can just ignore the transaction stuff and use the messaging box, as most are doing.

Yeah, that's what I do. However it's confusing people naturally. I have to make sure to tell them they will get a price on the spot, otherwise they might be disappointed or even mad at me in case the price has risen (a couple days can go by until meeting).

It's great to know it's on your radar. Thanks in advance.

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

There was this kind of option previously. However some users got very confused since there weren't the transaction option, so I disabled it. I will try to improve the process at some point to suit both needs, however now I'm busy with other stuff. You can just ignore the transaction stuff and use the messaging box, as most are doing.
donator

legendary
WalletScrutiny.com

donator

What are the newbie restrictions for buying BTC through Escrow. I've got two buyers who liked to purchase more than 6 BTC's, but were restricted. At what moment will their restrictions been released? Based on what? Quantity of trades, feedback, your interpretation?

Hi, currently the newbie restriction is that the first trade with escrow can be at most 6 BTC. After that it grows with volume.

We might change it for some more smart system, and also in the future sellers can specify levels that they are comfortable with.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
What are the newbie restrictions for buying BTC through Escrow. I've got two buyers who liked to purchase more than 6 BTC's, but were restricted. At what moment will their restrictions been released? Based on what? Quantity of trades, feedback, your interpretation?

Please let me know.

Oh, and one request. Could you change
Feature requests:

- Ability to re-negotiate a 'buy' or 'sell' contact after a period of time. Hypothetical example: I have a buyer from a month ago who didn't stay in touch, and now they want to buy. But the contact is fixed at the rate it was a month ago, and doesn't reflect market prices. I'd love to have the option to update the request without cancelling and having the buyer/seller re-send the request.

- Ability for seller to auto-cancel a contact with a buyer if the buyer doesn't respond after a certain period of time (two weeks?). If the seller sends a message to a buyer, which doesn't receive a reply within a given amount of time, it auto-cancels the contact and sends a message to the buyer, "Buy request cancelled due to inactivity" or such, so the buyer knows they're to blame for not continuing the back-and-forth communication (not the seller being evil for cancelling a buy order).

Just a couple of thoughts. Thanks kangasbros for your hard work!

-jtibble

Thanks for the feedback!

Sometimes I get requests stating that "I want to buy week ago from now". I then just politely explain that create a new contact little before you come to exchange for the amount you want to exchange, and cancel the current contact. Just that someone creates contact/request does not mean that the advertiser has to comply on freezing the rate for extended periods of time.

Modifying the contact on fly could be good feature, but at least for now we don't have resources to make that feature. So the current recommended method is just to advise the contacter to create a new contact.
legendary
Activity: 1014
Merit: 1001
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005
this space intentionally left blank
one of the reasons i do not ever use escrow.
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
- Ability to re-negotiate a 'buy' or 'sell' contact after a period of time. Hypothetical example: I have a buyer from a month ago who didn't stay in touch, and now they want to buy. But the contact is fixed at the rate it was a month ago, and doesn't reflect market prices. I'd love to have the option to update the request without cancelling and having the buyer/seller re-send the request.

I had a similar idea, but almost backwards from yours. When a contact is made, the rate equation should be locked in place, but the rate itself should keep fluctuating until the buyer and seller both choose to lock the price, at which point the escrow process begins.
legendary
WalletScrutiny.com
Feature requests:

- Ability for seller to auto-cancel a contact with a buyer if the buyer doesn't respond after a certain period of time (two weeks?). If the seller sends a message to a buyer, which doesn't receive a reply within a given amount of time, it auto-cancels the contact and sends a message to the buyer, "Buy request cancelled due to inactivity" or such, so the buyer knows they're to blame for not continuing the back-and-forth communication (not the seller being evil for cancelling a buy order).

-jtibble

With bitcoin volatility and many people having no rating at all yet, I have a problem with the whole concept. If I don't know if I can trust my trade partner, why should I honor the rate that he locked in when agreeing on my deal? Maybe I put coins in escrow and wait a month to find him finally ready to buy as value went up 100% or if value went down 5% he simply locks in yet another deal with some other dude?

Sure, one day when all have great ratings and reputation on the site, this will not happen that much but right now I see this as a big problem.
Activity: 52
Merit: 0
Feature requests:

-jtibble
How do you become an online seller on the site?

https://localbitcoins.com/escrow_process_guide

Essentially you have to have bitcoins beforehand in the wallet, and the payment method you are accepting has to support messages alongside the payment. It will automatically generate unique identifier for each payment. Basically it was designed with bank transfers in mind, the users in UK needed something like this. It is still "general", you can use it with any payment providor that suits the model. I myself have tested it with finnish bank transfers and when using the same bank it is very fast and friendly way for newbies to get some coins.
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
How do you become an online seller on the site?
Activity: 496
Merit: 500
Don't you have to login to respond to a message from localbitcoins? I always assumed that you could not respond to the link sent in the email unless you were actually logged in.

You can actually reply to the email notification itself, and your reply will be send to your contact and included in the conversation on the site.
Activity: 956
A suggestion.  Would it be possible to sort the ads based on price/btc and location distance? (ascending/descending) A small up/down arrow next to each column heading?

Thanks!
Activity: 956
OK, we implemented the following:

- After 30 days from last login, warning email is sent
- After 37 days from last login, advertisement is disabled.

Well, clearly there was some errors, since we got complaints from real sellers whose ads were real. The problem is that last login is pretty bad indicator - it is possible to conduct the trades without logging in to localbitcoins via the email system etc.

Anyway, we try to put in a better system, and sorry for everyone whose ads were deleted mistakenly.

Don't you have to login to respond to a message from localbitcoins? I always assumed that you could not respond to the link sent in the email unless you were actually logged in.
Pages:
Jump to: