Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] PiFury - Bitfury based RPi daughterboard - page 2. (Read 3460 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 500
CCNA: There i fixed the internet.
Great idea.  I'd put two voltage regulators on there. One to drive the Bitfurys, and one to power the Pi from a 12v supply. You can power the Pi from the IO port.

Nice idea will check into it. Smiley

EDIT:  after clearing early morning haze from brain, I realized a second regulator wouldn't be necessary to power the Pi since the board input will already be 5V. Just need to take into consideration that extra 0.8A while doing track width ( and finding a 5V3A microusb wallwart to test with)
Activity: 546
Great idea.  I'd put two voltage regulators on there. One to drive the Bitfurys, and one to power the Pi from a 12v supply. You can power the Pi from the IO port.

• Routing has begun
  • 3 asics have been placed in final positions
  • estimated hashrate will be ~8Ghash/second due to thermal and electrical constraints.

I planned this as a "low cost" entry level item to bitcoin that had a little more kick than an asicminer or an antminer usb

here is an estimated cost breakdown based on a low production volume: (at least what ive figured so far)
  • board: $1-2.50
  • 4 ßitfury ASICs: $20-25
  • ICs: $6-10
  • misc smd parts: $4-7
  • GPIO conn: $1.50
  • uUSB power connector: $0.75
  • heatsink:$3.50
Hello all. Now that ive had some free time to collect my thoughts and start throwing together a rough protosketch, i would like to unveil PiFury.

SPECS:
  • same footprint as RPi
  • mounting holes aligned with model B Rev 2
  • GPIO interface similar to M-board design (uses RPi designated SPI pins)
    • therefore should be compatible with *gminer or possibly chainminer
  • 1 to potentially 4 bitfury asics
  • powerful TI TPS54821 8A regulator tuned to 0.865V (can be adjusted)
  • TI TLV70233 & TLV70218 provide 3V3 and 1V8 lines to drive TXB0104 level shifter
  • externally powered (requires 5V@~2A)
  • Power ports for microUSB or 5.2mm Barrel jack

the image below is a very rough first draft only to get footprints on the board. not all items are in final positions. As this is one of my first forays into serious PCB design, I am probably over-engineering or doing something wrong. if anyone sees something glaringly wrong please point it out. I want to be the best i can be. Smiley

revisions  and updated images will follow

Pages:
Jump to: