Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] Ripple is officially open-source! w/link - page 3. (Read 24528 times)

legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
Releasing non-working source code, or incomplete source code, then claiming it's open source for publicity is common practice in the industry.
Which is why I was asking for examples of working forks. And I got an answer. So please, stop being retarded or at least learn how software works.
Rippled compiles, runs, builds history and behaves as advertised.

Could you give an example for this "common practice" where a company claims their software is fully open source but it actually is not working or incomplete?

Also I stopped being retarded, thanks for the nice reminder. Roll Eyes
legendary
Is anyone running a competing network yet? If no, why?

There is more information on forks here, especially the second one, splash, looks promising but there is little new information on it.
https://ripple.com/wiki/Forks
Thanks, interesting.

As usual, mah87's reply is retarded. If you claim your thing is open source, you have to make everything possible for it to be forked, this includes proper documentation, releasing all needed tools, etc.
Well, while it is easy to fork Ripple right now (just as Bitcoin in its inception) the network effect is still strong with RippleLabs.
While the technical part (rippled, the client, ripplecharts...) ist just copy-paste, you would have a harder time to convince people to actually accept and use your fork.

There is no "claim", there is PROOF it is open source:
https://github.com/ripple/ <-- all code for several different projects is in there, all under a permissive license. Also you are posting in the very announcement thread for this stuff... why do you speak of "claims"?
donator
Activity: 756
Merit: 500
-Bitcoin & Ripple-

There is more information on forks here, especially the second one, splash, looks promising but there is little new information on it.
Thanks, interesting.

As usual, mah87's reply is retarded. If you claim your thing is open source, you have to make everything possible for it to be forked, this includes proper documentation, releasing all needed tools, etc.

You think forking and build interesting things is easy, THIS is retarded.
donator
-Bitcoin & Ripple-

Thanks, interesting.

You think forking things are easy, THIS is retarded.
donator
-Bitcoin & Ripple-

because it's not as easy as creating bullshit coins... RippeLabs has more than 40people working on Ripple Network now ^^
Activity: 182
Merit: 100

donator
-Bitcoin & Ripple-
I bet it is open source with closed source attributes, like OSX.

You bet wrong
Activity: 770
I bet it is open source with closed source attributes, like OSX.

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
there may be a better place to ask this but sorry im not sure where it is. how do gateways deal with the legal ramifications of issuing securities. as i understand it this is how ripples decentralized exchange works. a person issues promises to meet a condition and those promises trade on a market until someone submits one of them to the issuer to be honoured. do i have this right? do you guys comply with sec? do you not think that you are obliged to? or do you think that you are but try to fly under the radar?

That's an interesting question. My guess is individuals aren't obliged to any compliance just like miners aren't, but most important gateways will be entities which should be. It's a little too soon to ask these questions, and if it takes as long for ripple to get noticed as for bitcoin it wouldn't be for another two years till ripple is where Bitcoin is now.  

The most straight forward answer would be if a gateway issues his own IOUs in one currency it must be compliant to the laws of the country issuing that currency.

thanks em that was a helpful reply. I'm tentatively unblocking you.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
there may be a better place to ask this but sorry im not sure where it is. how do gateways deal with the legal ramifications of issuing securities. as i understand it this is how ripples decentralized exchange works. a person issues promises to meet a condition and those promises trade on a market until someone submits one of them to the issuer to be honoured. do i have this right? do you guys comply with sec? do you not think that you are obliged to? or do you think that you are but try to fly under the radar?

That's an interesting question. My guess is individuals aren't obliged to any compliance just like miners aren't, but most important gateways will be entities which should be. It's a little too soon to ask these questions, and if it takes as long for ripple to get noticed as for bitcoin it wouldn't be for another two years till ripple is where Bitcoin is now.  

The most straight forward answer would be if a gateway issues his own IOUs in one currency it must be compliant to the laws of the country issuing that currency.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
legendary
Most XRP are traded within Ripple I guess. I am not sure which gateways accept your payment processors, this is not the topic of this thread though.
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Any one cam give the list of XRP trade exchange or where to buy XRP by Okpay/Egopay/Perfectmoney? Thank before.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1001
rippleFanatic
I'm considering buying some ripple, but  I would just like to know what happens when I'm buying from my Bitstamp account. Do I get my USD transfered to the ripple account or are they converted to Ripple instantly? How is the price of ripple established given there is a vast majority of undistributed "coins"?

Thanks!

There are two ways to buy through bistamp. The first is on Buy/Sell -> Ripple, where you buy at the price bitstamp manually sets. Its more expensive than the market price, you should only buy the minimum ($2 or $3 USD) to fund the reserve for a new ripple wallet, if you don't already have XRP from a giveaway. With the reserve XRP met (~100 XRP), your ripple wallet can grant a trust line (either BTC or USD, each currency is a separate trust line). With a trust line to bitstamp's issuer address (rvYAfWj5gh67oV6fW32ZzP3Aw4Eubs59B), you can withdraw on bitstamp.net Withdrawal -> Ripple. Choose the same currency of your trust line (BTC and USD have the most liquidity) and paste in your Ripple address (click "Receive" in your ripple wallet).

The market price for XRP is different on each order book. Each gateway (aka issuer) has separate order books on ripple, one per currency. Generally the best price will be for the gateway with the most liquidity, so usually on ripple USD.bitstamp and BTC.bitstamp order books (USD.snapswap is usually more expensive).

You can see a chart of the bitstamp order books on xrp.webr3.org, USD/XRP and BTC/XRP
yvv
legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000
I'm considering buying some ripple, but  I would just like to know what happens when I'm buying from my Bitstamp account. Do I get my USD transfered to the ripple account or are they converted to Ripple instantly? How is the price of ripple established given there is a vast majority of undistributed "coins"?

Thanks!

At bitstamp buy the minimum amount to fund your wallet, i.g. 50 XRP reserve plus 12.5 XRP for trust line. Then deposit them into you ripple wallet. Then deposit some USD into your ripple wallet thorough bitstamp or other gateway. Then you have several options to buy ripples from the wallet client. You choose which one suits your needs better.
Activity: 119
Merit: 10

Thanks!
legendary
Create a folder named "db" next to rippled... or enter a location that actually exists in your rippled.conf file.
Activity: 810
Merit: 1000
Your professional profile on the blockchain
Has anyone tried to launch rippled?

I got such a picture:

Not sure if it's scanning my computer for wallet.dat talking to the Ripple network or just running an infinite loop.

I just compiled it without error on archlinux.
But i got
Code:
Unable to open/create leveldb: IO error: db/hyperldb/LOCK: No such file or directory
when i run rippled.

Is there any manual of database? i didnt find any on ripple's wiki.
Activity: 103
Merit: 10
It From Bit
# Send in the clones, from the otiose to the oneiric...
# python RipCloneNameGen.py

a1 = ['b','bl','br','c','ch','cl','cr','d','dr','f','fl','fr','g','gh','gl']
a2 = ['gn','gr','h','j','k','kl','kr','l','m','n','p','ph','pl','pr','q']
a3 = ['r','rh','s','sh','sk','sl','sm','sn','sp','sq','st','sw']
a4 = ['t','th','tr','tw','v','w','wh','wr','x','y','z']
a = a1 + a2 + a3 + a4

b1 = ['a','ae','ai','ao','au','e','ea','ee','ei','eo','eu','i','ia','ie']
b2 = ['io','iu','o','oa','oe','oi','oo','ou','u','ua','ue','ui','uo']
b = b1 + b2

c = ['bb','ck','dd','ff','gg','pp','ss','st','tt','zz']

d = ['le']

n = 0
for i in a:
  for j in b:
    for k in c:
      n += 1
      print n, i + j + k + d[0]
legendary
Activity: 3976
Merit: 1421
Life, Love and Laughter...
Nice to see some steps in the right direction with Open Sourcing and with the name change.

However

Despite that though I still have an instinctive aversion to the concept of chains of trust and passing around debts. Bitcoins are something I get, it is sound money. Ripple is something that I just don't get the idea is confusing and even if the ripple devs have good intentions, I can't get past feeling that the idea can be used for nefarious aims.

https://ripplecharts.com/markets

There's been no progress since May...
You got Bitstamp and nothing else...
Even with the BIG BOOM of open sourcing only $38,000 USD/XRP traded.

Their big US Gateway SnapSwap is doing $2,315 of business/day.

If you bought XRP in May... you are STILL DOWN 50% at 9000/BTC...
There's no liquidity anyway to make any real money...
Plus 98,000,000,000 XRP waiting to be dumped on you, baby.

Compared to mcxNOW... Ripple is a Ghost Town = 100% hype...
Do people not realize that every single business associated with Ripple is IN THE RED.

yup. the low volume really bothers me too. right now, i am only willing to play around with a few hundred bucks in ripple with that volume.
Pages:
Jump to: