Author

Topic: [ANN] [SHA256]+[CPU] MediterraneanCoin (MED) - REUSE your ERUPTER!! - page 102. (Read 227779 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
TECHNOLOGY, BABY!
You should have this kind of output from mcproxy (right window):

http://imgur.com/8rO77Ek

I have literally nothing. I click the .jar and the mouse spins like it is loading, javaw appears in the process explorer, but no gui or anything pops up. And when I try to run it from command prompt it tells me the file cannot be accessed.

Now I'm curious as to how it's possible that I mined a block apparently without mcproxy which should be required, correct?
Copy the .jar file to a directory with java.exe (usually in c:\program files) and try to run from command line from that path. If your miner uses 8080 port then mcproxy should use a different one. I use this configuration:

miner:
bfgminer.exe -o localhost:8090 -u adam -p pass --http-port 8080 -Q 0

mcproxy:
java -jar mcproxy.jar -l 8090

Well, that got it to at least attempt to launch. But now it spits out a million errors.

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

I have literally nothing. I click the .jar and the mouse spins like it is loading, javaw appears in the process explorer, but no gui or anything pops up. And when I try to run it from command prompt it tells me the file cannot be accessed.

Now I'm curious as to how it's possible that I mined a block apparently without mcproxy which should be required, correct?
Copy the .jar file to a directory with java.exe (usually in c:\program files) and try to run from command line from that path. If your miner uses 8080 port then mcproxy should use a different one. I use this configuration:

miner:
bfgminer.exe -o localhost:8090 -u adam -p pass --http-port 8080 -Q 0

mcproxy:
java -jar mcproxy.jar -l 8090
TECHNOLOGY, BABY!

Activity: 822
Merit: 1002

TECHNOLOGY, BABY!
Well nevermind I guess, I just found a block. Must be ultra shitty luck haha. Did the later version of CGminer stop notifying you when new blocks are detected on the network or something?

I still have no idea what mcproxy is about, every time I run it nothing seems to happen but whatever I guess. My Java is up to date and whatnot as well. Computers be wack.
TECHNOLOGY, BABY!
Will be nice once the p2pool is up and running, I've been mining away all day and got nothin' :c

really? what kind/number of devices are you using for mining?

with four block erupters, I am finding more or less 1 block per hour (during the last 24 hours).

if you need help, send me via pm the log output of mcproxy, miner etc to see if there is some kind of problem.

Sadly only have 1 erupter going lol. Bought it as a novelty a while back and I was hoping maybe it'd be able to find something here, but no luck so far.

No errors that I can tell, it tells me there's no suitable long-polling available, but iirc that's normal and cgminer will just work without LP. I've got my queue set to 0, and scantime and expiry both lowered. Maybe I just have bad luck? Sad

Hmm, come to think of it cgminer isn't notifying me of new blocks from the client, so maybe somethings up. What's the deal with mcproxy?
Activity: 651
Merit: 500
I must say IMHO this is very good idea of mixing scrypt and sha256. Might be more potential than LTC/ BTC in long run. In my opinoin ltc nor btc are future ready, they are 1st birds. This however looks much more promising to me.

greate work!
you have my respect!
Activity: 266
Will be nice once the p2pool is up and running, I've been mining away all day and got nothin' :c

really? what kind/number of devices are you using for mining?

with four block erupters, I am finding more or less 1 block per hour (during the last 24 hours).

if you need help, send me via pm the log output of mcproxy, miner etc to see if there is some kind of problem.

Will the mining work with GPUs instead of Asics?

yes, you should use the modified bfgminer.
TECHNOLOGY, BABY!
legendary
Activity: 876
Merit: 1000
Etherscan.io
Will the mining work with GPUs instead of Asics?
hi all,
we are looking for a few volunteers to test the new p2pool source tree.

It seems to work (meaning that we have already mined a few blocks with p2pool), but we would like to perform some more tests together with the volunteers; we would like to keep the testrun limited to a few people, so that we can manage easily possible problems with p2pool (we have added a new module for supporting the new PoW) and/or fine tune its configuration.

Please pm me if you are interested to test p2pool.

Anyway, all the source code for the p2pool fork is here:
https://github.com/mrtexaznl/p2pool

So probably the more expert users can start testing p2pool right away (we have setup a bootstrap node called p2pool.mediterraneancoin.org, it's in the code so basically you just need to launch p2pool following the readme; also, you need to build the medcoin_hybrid python module, first of all).
But please be warned that there could be some bug to be solved.
TECHNOLOGY, BABY!
Been waiting for something like this to come along. Novel concept, waiting for my wallet to finish syncing then I'll be pointing my erupters at it Smiley

Hopefully this coin does well, the hybrid algorithm is a great idea.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043
:^)
Kinda slow catching up to the chain Embarrassed

how many connections does your wallet have currently?

some additional nodes could help:

Would it be hard or time consuming to temporaly add your peers.dat file to install archive and point MED wallet to check for that
file at wallet's root?

1. Check if file exists at datadir, if yes use it, if not
2. check if file exists at wallet's root, if yes use it (and eventually copy to datadir), if not
3. create new file at datadir.

Also, what always interested me but I never actualy asked or checked myself is if it would be possible to make freshly installed
wallet ask for location of datadir, if user wants to run it as server and similar stuff? The whole .conf, .bat and command line idea,
where user must have advanced knowledge of computers to perform some trivial actions, is so outdated and in many cases barrier
to wallet usage and thus adoption. From dozens of persons I know that use computers like 1 person would know all it takes to
have server running or datadir at for example drive D:
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
The innovation in algo is notable, but I think this coin needs:

- a new, shorter name
- a new, modern logo "coin like"
- better marketing

Agreed. Also, is it MED or MDC ?? Shows MED in wallet client, official website says MDC :S

We would stick to MED, going to correct the web site...done.
Still seems to mention MDC in the donation text:
If you like/find interesting this work, please donate! Thank you for your support!

BTC: 16EGB9xjGDANkfF8rw2sg29RcFmLPWLnhZ
MDC (MediterraneanCoin): MZ3Zoam3CkaEKGLLVc63PN7S7bnUmVdqs7

- a new, shorter name
- better marketing

Agreed. Also, is it MED or MDC ?? Shows MED in wallet client, official website says MDC :S

We would stick to MED, going to correct the web site...done.
legendary

- a new, shorter name
- better marketing

Agreed.

Agreed and, just like majority around here, waiting for someone else to do it? The most newcomers to cryptos are missing the
point of Open Source projects. They just want to get in for cheap and make a shitload of money doing nothing, preferably in a
week or so. Only a few will get that, everyone else will most likely whine about investing money and losing it all because of all
sort of reasons but not their own lazyness.
Activity: 35
Merit: 0

- a new, shorter name
- better marketing

Activity: 71
Merit: 10
Ahhhh, I get it now Smiley Awesome.
legendary
Can an AntMiner be used for this?
I think that every ASIC hardware can be used but it needs some additional setup. Here's a guide for CUBE miner, I'm sure you can easily adapt it for Antminer: http://altcoins.com/mediterraneancoin-med-blockerupter-cube-mining.html

Oh, so its not just the little stuff? So this could get as silly as other SHA coins are atm?

Probably not because one needs a lot of CPU and RAM for Scrypt part of hashing. I'm mining with 5 USB Erupters and CPU usage
is around 35% with 40 MB used, if I switch much more ASICs to MED my notebook would not be usable for other stuff anymore.
Using THashes on MED would surely require a high spec server or something similar. How many big miners will go for that? None
of them is mining right now so ...

When it comes to network security and distribution of coins, it is much better to have 1000 individual miners using 1 GHash and
mining solo than 10 individual miners using 100 GHash and mining in 1 or 2 pools. It relates to number of full nodes on network
(more is better) and number of coins each individual miner gets (less is better). Miner with a lot of coins is permanent threat to
exchange rate. At any time he might be in a need for a lot of cash and thus sell massive bag of coins, starting the panic sell that
might easily end in less people mining, "MED is dead" media and public craze and so on.
Jump to: