Author

Topic: [ANN] SpreadCoin | Decentralize Everything (decentralized blockexplorer coming) - page 272. (Read 790391 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
...data mining...

Ah, OK. But to tempt companies to pay you for this data / node access you'll need to provide a comprehensive API or something? Otherwise Inquisitive Inc. can just run a thousand full nodes themselves to gather data. Their only. minimal cost is bandwidth. I believe there are several companies that already do this.

I believe there are several companies that already do this.

Exactly. Its a proven business model. All the raw ingredients are already there. They just need to be joined up.

But to tempt companies to pay you for this data / node access you'll need to provide a comprehensive API or something?

Exactly.

Can a company run Full Bitcoin nodes in the range of 1,000 to 5,000 nodes, around the world? Doubt it.  Google, Apple, Microsoft, sure. But can they beat SPR's decentralized model in terms of no trust required? A community of thousands can match any big company or government. Dash has proven this already.

If you are looking for data, which would you prefer, a company making a profit with a small number of nodes, or a public service project that has many thousands of nodes?

Scripts / APIs are relatively easy. I've allowed for a bounty in the revenue streams to pay for requested scripts, all open source so they can be vetted.

edit

If we allow commercial snooper's to thrive, we'll all suffer. We should put up competitive financial barriers.

Remember Google: Do no evil? That lasted 5 minutes once there was big money at stake.
legendary
Activity: 966
...data mining...

Ah, OK. But to tempt companies to pay you for this data / node access you'll need to provide a comprehensive API or something? Otherwise Inquisitive Inc. can just run a thousand full nodes themselves to gather data. Their only. minimal cost is bandwidth. I believe there are several companies that already do this.
legendary
....I'm behind the current path.

"PoBN" will be hard to implement, but i don't really see the harm in taking this direction.

If successful SPR will be responsible for 1000 new bitcoin nodes (practically off the cuff). That's got to be worth something to both bitcoin and spreadcoin networks.

I just wanted to hear "thelones" unique opinion, still waiting Roll Eyes

What about the viability of the funding mechanism?

What funding mechanism? The whitepaper wasn't clear on it. The BTC crowd aren't keen to incentivise 'their own' nodes, I don't see them paying SPR nodes for this service.

Thanks. I'll make it clearer in v.03. It's not the bitcoin community having to fund the program. It's anyone that wants decent data being generated by the blockchain and the nodes.

p. 36

To compensate servicenode users financially and to sustain the costs of hosting a Bitcoin node over the long-term, a percentage of income derived from the provision of services on the Spread network is paid to node owners. This is in addition to sharing an allocation of the mining rewards paid to Spreadcoin’s miners.

p. 38

By deploying a program to incentivise bitcoin nodes, the Spread network could operate an open source basic data mining service that could generate valuable block chain data revenues which in turn would be used to pay full node owners. Members of the open source community could also create scripts they would like added to analyse Bitcoin block chain data.

p.39

An incentives program governed by the Bitcoin community could lead to the creation of 3,000 to 5,000 over the medium-term. Structured favourably a full node program could prove to be exceptionally popular, mimicking the popularity small scale mining which drew thousands of people to Bitcoin before industrial mining took hold.

p.40

Tradeblock.com

Online cryptocurrency data and research provider TradeBlock has raised $2.8m in funding as part of a new investment round led by Andreessen Horowitz that also included SecondMarket CEO Barry Silbert, Devonshire Investors and FinTech Collective.

Clearly, businesses are investing in Bitcoin data mining and block chain analysis tools.  

One of Bitcoin’s biggest assets are full nodes. Full node owners should benefit from the data that they help to protect and provide.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oXPcN_l3vHIJq0PmhsVWCvdx45ovcJ-ifxkOPEOClZw/edit

legendary

"PoBN" will be hard to implement, but i don't really see the harm in taking this direction.

If successful SPR will be responsible for 1000 new bitcoin nodes (practically off the cuff). That's got to be worth something to both bitcoin and spreadcoin networks.

What funding mechanism? The whitepaper wasn't clear on it. The BTC crowd aren't keen to incentivise 'their own' nodes, I don't see them paying SPR nodes for this service.
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1092
Draft V0.2 of the white paper for comments.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oXPcN_l3vHIJq0PmhsVWCvdx45ovcJ-ifxkOPEOClZw/edit

After a commenting period, we will finish off the conclusion.  A technical paper might follow in due course (not sure its needed yet) on how to deploy the Bitcoin full node incentives program.

I guess that will have to wait until ServiceNode testing is started, along with a separate testnet for the Bitcoin nodes program.

If you read how the incentives could be funded, you might get as excited as I am about the viability of the program.

Comments will be much appreciated. Stonehedge is on holiday at the moment, so very little work will be done on the white paper now. It's basically done.

Draft v.03 will also see some formatting changes and a contents page. We can then, hopefully, send it out to any Bitcoin devs interested enough and willing to comment.

After that, we'll incorporate any changes before pushing out the paper and engaging the media to see what the Bitcoin community thinks.

What does Spreadcoin get out of supporting the Bitcoin network?

Good to see you around here.

Whats your opinion on the present and future direction SPR is going?

It's just as important that you answer those questions.

I'm behind the current path.

legendary

After a commenting period, we will finish off the conclusion.  A technical paper might follow in due course (not sure its needed yet) on how to deploy the Bitcoin full node incentives program.

I guess that will have to wait until ServiceNode testing is started, along with a separate testnet for the Bitcoin nodes program.

If you read how the incentives could be funded, you might get as excited as I am about the viability of the program.

Comments will be much appreciated. Stonehedge is on holiday at the moment, so very little work will be done on the white paper now. It's basically done.

Draft v.03 will also see some formatting changes and a contents page. We can then, hopefully, send it out to any Bitcoin devs interested enough and willing to comment.

After that, we'll incorporate any changes before pushing out the paper and engaging the media to see what the Bitcoin community thinks.

It's just as important that you answer those questions.
legendary
Is anyone still watching MrSpread's wallets?

We saw movement the last couple times we looked, but iv not check nor heard anything.
legendary

Activity: 268
Merit: 250

It's like when the flea on the back of the dog wants the dog to be healthy.
 Smiley

It's a good question. We've tried to answer it in the paper.

Kudos to the authors. I think it's a novel approach to a serious problem and I hope it catches on when released. Looking forward to testing it!
legendary

Smiley

It's a good question. We've tried to answer it in the paper.

tl;dr

Georgem is basically right. It's the mother ship, like it or not. If it shows signs of failing now, we've all got a big mountain to climb from the negative press.

Secondly, it turns out there is a pretty decent business model in the approach we have taken that can support an incentives program.

This happened to me a few times before. You create a business plan to do one thing, but once you look deeper, you find a little golden nugget you were never expecting to find.

Anyway, that little golden nugget should be good enough to support many thousands of Bitcoin nodes. You would only get thousands of Bitcoin nodes earning a profit, if they are running on thousands ServiceNodes.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info

Smiley
legendary

Activity: 189
Merit: 100

I have not read the finished text, the more I can assure you it is a very enriching reading! As soon as possible I will read!  Smiley
legendary

legendary
Hey guys your favourite person is back  Grin Grin Grin

Like I said STILL NO MASTERNODES but I give Georgem props on the SPR Vanity Address Generator as now I can have an address called SPACEMAN Smiley

There will never be masternodes.

During July you'll be able to start playing with Servicenodes as testing gets underway  Wink
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Hey guys your favourite person is back  Grin Grin Grin

Like I said STILL NO MASTERNODES but I give Georgem props on the SPR Vanity Address Generator as now I can have an address called SPACEMAN Smiley
Activity: 335
Merit: 250
Glad I picked up some more below 6000 sat few days ago

I was too late ;( Luckily i got a few k at 55k from weeks ago.
Activity: 1680
Merit: 506
Trphy.io
Glad I picked up some more below 6000 sat few days ago
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
hi guys,
but masternode or service node is alive?
how many spr need for launch this?
please give a instruction about for launch earning etc
thx

Not yet. We are preparing a testnet version that will go life during the month of july.
Jump to: