Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN] [VIA] ★ Viacoin ★ ~ the future of digital currency ~ ★ - page 59. (Read 825850 times)

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1000
No I haven't tried yet. I've been amazingly busy. It would help if someone were to point me to the commit that broke it in the first place.

The mobile dev didnt upgrade to the auxpow fork, that's why it doesnt work.
Activity: 51
Merit: 0

Marcus, have you got the mobile wallet working?

No I haven't tried yet. I've been amazingly busy. It would help if someone were to point me to the commit that broke it in the first place.
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
imo this coin wont do what it said, but still mines good with LTC/DOGE Smiley
Activity: 59
I know that auxpow happened, but what is the impact if we switch to the new subsidy patch?
is it all halleluja that we have less inflation? Or is there also a catch if we look further down the road?

In theory since auxpow removes mining competition (between competing coins) it shouldn't have any ill effects on mining security.
I dont want to be drawn into any economic discussions and FWIW I don't agree with changing the subsidy personally.
They did it with the doge so I guess that's why it's been suggested here.

I'm very curious why you don't agree with changing the subsidy. If you want to shift that discussion to github, that's fine by me.

Would you agree to changing the Bitcoin's subsidy schedule?  If it were my decision alone, I would refuse this patch. Anyway, I'm not discussing it further. I said my place it technical review only.

Depends on the pros and cons. But I also understand that it impacts the "trust" factor that you cannot change the inflation everytime when it looks convenient. I'm trying to get a broader view to understand the full impact on this change. But fair enough. I understand your point a view.
legendary
I know that auxpow happened, but what is the impact if we switch to the new subsidy patch?
is it all halleluja that we have less inflation? Or is there also a catch if we look further down the road?

In theory since auxpow removes mining competition (between competing coins) it shouldn't have any ill effects on mining security.
I dont want to be drawn into any economic discussions and FWIW I don't agree with changing the subsidy personally.

I'm very curious why you don't agree with changing the subsidy. If you want to shift that discussion to github, that's fine by me.

Would you agree to changing the Bitcoin's subsidy schedule?  If it were my decision alone, I would refuse this patch. Anyway, I'm not discussing it further. I said my place it technical review only.

legendary

legendary
So it seem that the subsidy patch has a lot of support. Are there any more opinions?

I was wondering why you have choosen initially for this subsidy.
What are the pros and cons for the proposed subsidy against the current subsidy?

I know there will be less inflation, but does that really mean, from a 360 angle (perspective from buyers/seller, miners, etc), if Viacoin switch to the new subsidy patch?

I already explained earlier, it was designed around non-merged PoW mining which is no longer the case. Please read back on the thread.
So it seem that the subsidy patch has a lot of support. Are there any more opinions?

I was wondering why you have choosen initially for this subsidy. I know later on viacoin switched to auxpow and that can have some impact on the initially choosen subsidy.
What are the pros and cons for the proposed subsidy against the current subsidy?

I know there will be less inflation, but does that really mean, from a 360 angle (perspective from buyers/seller, miners, etc), if Viacoin switch to the new subsidy patch?
legendary
Activity: 602
Merit: 501
In terms of "community take over" I'm not really sure what that means. There's no impediment to developers making pull requests.

As people are learning from the fiasco unfolding in the Bitcoin world, developers writing code and the community accepting those changes are two separate issues. The community, rightly or wrongly are very much in control... and that is very much the point of bitcoin technology, to be resistant to centralised control. People calling for governance, or crying foul due to lack of governance are completely missing the point.

In any case, co-operation and co-ordination are much more likely to yield positive results. I'm very happy to let any efforts develop and strengthen.

That is all.
legendary
Activity: 1526
the grandpa of cryptos
still mining this Smiley
Activity: 706
Merit: 500
https://twitter.com/CryptoTrout
In terms of "community take over" I'm not really sure what that means. There's no impediment to developers making pull requests.

As people are learning from the fiasco unfolding in the Bitcoin world, developers writing code and the community accepting those changes are two separate issues. The community, rightly or wrongly are very much in control... and that is very much the point of bitcoin technology, to be resistant to centralised control. People calling for governance, or crying foul due to lack of governance are completely missing the point.

In any case, co-operation and co-ordination are much more likely to yield positive results. I'm very happy to let any efforts develop and strengthen.

'Community takeover' just means they want someone who cares about the price in a lead role.  I don't think they care much for development so keep doing your thing.

All Crypto (and any financial markets) are going to get shit on in the coming weeks so good fucking luck to anyone who thinks they can fix the price. 
legendary

I’m willing to pick up some parts and coordinate if necessary, but keep in mind: I have more than a fulltime job, so I cannot do this alone. Every hand is welcome!

I am also willing to contribute and will think about how.

Ok, great! Please send me a PM.
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
I’m willing to pick up some parts and coordinate if necessary, but keep in mind: I have more than a fulltime job, so I cannot do this alone. Every hand is welcome!

I am also willing to contribute and will think about how.
i will gladly to support this coin too..

its been from long time,,and who is the real dev for now? or this coin doesnt have any dev?

should the community take over the coin?

Hi Birdcat, community should work together with the current developer BTCDrak and Reorder. Please read my comments above where this is mentioned also.
If you have certain skills and like to contribute, please let us know. Thanks!
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
i will gladly to support this coin too..

its been from long time,,and who is the real dev for now? or this coin doesnt have any dev?

should the community take over the coin?
Ok, time to put some new energy in Viacoin.

I’m still supporting Viacoin. I consider Drak as one of the smartest guys in the crypto cummunity and I have followed his steps closely in the past year. There is a lot of time invested in Viacoin, but he cannot do this by himself. We need to support Viacoin together and promote it in several ways. Like Drak said, everybody can participate, nobody needs permission for this. So lets pick up the gloves together.

Hopefully Drak can tell us the latest status of the project. From that point we can move forward and give Viacoin new energy that it deserves. I believe in the idea which Drak envisioned for Viacoin.

Below are some subjects we should (in my vision) concentrate on to build and promote Viacoin

Viacoin Core

Drak and Reorder are the developers who have worked for the biggest part on Viacoin. They can tell what kind of knowledge/resources is needed right now. I am not a hardcore techie, so I leave that up to them.
I understand that there is a release with new features ready, but to deploy this there is a prerequisite (copied from viacoin blog):
  • BIP66 is being implemented because of recent changes in the way OpenSSL parses signatures. Viacoin Core uses OpenSSL to check signatures to make sure they’re valid, but OpenSSL used to accept signatures using multiple different types of encodings. Once BIP66 is fully implemented, there will only be one valid way to encode a Viacoin signature (the DER encoding). This change breaks the dependency on OpenSSL’s signature parsing, and is a stepping stone to removing all dependencies of OpenSSL from the consensus code. It is a soft-fork which relies on the miner-voting where 75% of miners agree to the change at which point the new consensus rule becomes active for those blocks. When 95% of blocks have version number 4 or higher, it becomes mandatory for all blocks.

@Drak, Is this correct? If so, how can we help as a community to fulfill this prerequisite?

Building Services/Apps
Building services apps on top of Clearinghouse / Viacoin blockchain
  • We have to brainstorm about usecases which specifically fits clearinghouse  / Viacoin blockchain. We need these usecases to take Viacoin to the next level.
  • We need companies who are interested in these usecases described above and like to experiment/build it on top of Clearinghouse / Viacoin blockchain

Adoption
As a community we need to promote the possibilities of Viacoin to the following industries:

Game industry:
BCT user Crypto trout suggested for example the following:
We need to find out more of these examples and chase new projects which have not decided what kind of blockchain they want to use. We can try to convince them to choose for Viacoin.

Financial industry

Goverment
As an example Drak mentioned some time ago:
  • I would like to see an intellectual property rights registration service. Something that combines centralized service and decentralized timestamping (using the viacoin blockchain). The timstamping techy stuff needs to be a bit more opaque as it's currently a bit "raw". Maybe even something where users can create profiles and they can keep a register against their name of items.

Other suggestions? Above points are high level off course, but we need to come up with

Exchanges
One of the things to get more volume to Viacoin is to get more attention from the community and media. But besides this, Viacoin should also be added to more exchanges to get more access to funds. The bigger exchanges like BTC-e, Bitfinex are (probably) out of reach at this point in time, but BTC38.com is duable in my opinion. As a community we have to focus on one exchange at a time to convince an exchange to at Viacoin. But this goes side by side with other developments off course.

News /Education
As a community we have to work on the following:

Presentations
  • Why use Viacoin --> Get companies, individuals interested
  • Usecases --> How to use viacoin with an example of a concrete usecase.

Articles
  • Regular updates on developments

Educational videos (animation perhaps)
  • to show what Viacoin can do for your business

Coordination
To coordinate and communicate about this subjects, we need a better platform than BCT in my opinion. A lot of usefull info and questions/answers are lost which we can build further on.
  • Anybody have any suggestions for a platform to do projects on and work on the points above?
  • Who can play a part of the coordination in the points above? It would be great to form teams and work on the point above.

Pages:
Jump to: