Author

Topic: [ANN][BURST] Burst | Efficient HDD Mining | New 1.2.3 Fork block 92000 - page 180. (Read 2170648 times)

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1072
https://crowetic.com | https://qortal.org
I'd like to add my comments to the discussion on burst.

I've not been very active on here so I'll start by saying a little about myself.

I have been mining burst for quite a while. Not from the very beginning but from a few weeks after it started. I am only mining with disks that were laying around unused at home. I have not sold any coins since October last year so I am holding a decent amount. I am mining solo but I have mined on devs v1 and v2 pools. My miners are all running on fedora but I have mined in the past on XP and w7. I am a professional sw engineer and I have been writing code since the sixties.

OK, that is me, this is what I have to say:

We should not change the way in which block rewards are allocated. We all knew what the rewards were when we started out and we accepted that but there is a stronger reason than just that. If an outsider looks at the coin, what will they think if the elite few running the coin feel that it is OK to change something that basic just one year in? It does not look like the trustworthy foundation that is needed. The same goes for the idea of a dev fund. The coin's elite just arbitrarily saying that they will have ten percent off the top because they want it? What might they do next? This will deter newcomers to the coin whether they are miners, investors or developers.

We should not be looking for some fairy godmother lead developer. First of all as crowetic discovered, somebody like that is hard to find. Furthermore, the coin would then be hostage to that new lead dev's personal situation and wishes. The existing team should work to build a group of devs who can all put in a little time and the core team should work hard to attract and encourage such people.

Some months ago, I made a post on here about using burst as a storage network. Burst is better than the other coins that are trying to do this. We have miners with lots of storage who could repurpose their disk space between plots and storage as the market required. We also have a coin with ATs which could be used to govern the storage contracts. We could use them to make sure not only that clients can pay for storage and that disk farmers can be rewarded but also to ensure that neither party can carry out a "nothing at stake" attack. In my earlier post, I offered to pitch in with development effort to help set that up but none of the coin's core team responded. My offer is still open and I would suggest to the core team that they should consider that and any other offers.

@Irontiga: I believe that you are in godzone. If you are in Ak, perhaps we could meet and chat and if you think that I can help out, you can talk to the rest of the core team.

I would propose the following as action items for the short term:

1) Try to recruit developers who will commit a few hours of their time as and when they can. Create some kind of on-boarding process for these volunteers such as getting the sources off github, making some trivial change and rebuilding all of the files that would make up a release. Just to check that they have the basic technical ability to contribute. Then establish a set of procedures for code reviews before changes to the burst software are accepted. Document that whole process.

2) Build a set of unit tests. We need these if we are going to have a number of devs working on different parts of the code. Any dev who wants to get involved should start there. It's not going to add features but it will make it a lot easier and safer to roll out new features in the future.

3) Setup a group to thrash out a roadmap of new features that will be implemented by the new dev-team over the next 12 months.

4) Perform a review of burst's POC algorithms. I understand that the security of these has been questioned so we should address that. I have a fair understanding of cryptography and I have access to people who work at the bleeding edge in that field so I can help there.

5) Lighten up on the abuse. Name calling and the use of disrespectful miss-spellings of folk's usernames should stop. It does not make the coin any better and it does not make people look any better if they do it.

I have not written anything about PR or white-papers but if we got through the five points above we would have lots to tell the world about and most of what we would need for a white-paper would have been sorted out.

That's it.

Thank you for the comments, but I disagree on the modification comment. We noticed, that after a year, the reward decrease happened too fast for what else was going on in the coin. The ability to modify it a little, and make it be able to work out better over an extended period of time would be the goal here, while allowing miners to have either more profit if they dump, or more long term profit if they don't.

Also, the tax wouldn't go to a single person, and discussions would happen with the community as far as ideas on how to spend the money, multi-sig held, etc. Maybe even an AT controlled account. There are many ways we can setup this type of thing.

The idea of an open community development project makes a lot of sense as it IS open source afterall, so that is what we're going to do at this very point in time, people can clone the git, make their suggested changes, and post for approval, then we can implement into a new main git when a few coders have approved it and it all looks good to go.

I would love a review of the algo. Please do this if you can.

Also, get as many devs as you can, greatly appreciated, then if we want to go back to a core team style development, we can do that. But for now, with all the reactions I got when suggesting the structure I did, open community development is where we will be until something better comes along.
Activity: 504
Merit: 512

Also, @burstincomeasset, your asset is great, but no need to spam the thread with daily earnings. Your burstforum thread is for that Cheesy

Hmm, alright, I just feel that the burstforum is a bit empty, and not much people see it.

I will post only major updates then.

(By the way, the burstforum's security certificate has expired, and it always shows me an "untrusted connection" error when i visit it, that needs to be fixed too)
Activity: 631
Merit: 501
Crowetic,

I don't speak much... I just hang out as a lurker keeping an eye on all things crypto.
You know I have been at this since nearly day one with you and a few others... Iron comes to mind.

You have my full support... and I have full confidence that you, along with the others who are serious about this coin, will lead it back to stability.
Just needed to be said.

Monster Burst supporter now fading back into the background!
Activity: 322
Merit: 100
AK means Ace King, not quite AA
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

I've not been very active on here so I'll start by saying a little about myself.

I have been mining burst for quite a while. Not from the very beginning but from a few weeks after it started. I am only mining with disks that were laying around unused at home. I have not sold any coins since October last year so I am holding a decent amount. I am mining solo but I have mined on devs v1 and v2 pools. My miners are all running on fedora but I have mined in the past on XP and w7. I am a professional sw engineer and I have been writing code since the sixties.

We should not change the way in which block rewards are allocated. We all knew what the rewards were when we started out and we accepted that but there is a stronger reason than just that. If an outsider looks at the coin, what will they think if the elite few running the coin feel that it is OK to change something that basic just one year in? It does not look like the trustworthy foundation that is needed. The same goes for the idea of a dev fund. The coin's elite just arbitrarily saying that they will have ten percent off the top because they want it? What might they do next? This will deter newcomers to the coin whether they are miners, investors or developers.

We should not be looking for some fairy godmother lead developer. First of all as crowetic discovered, somebody like that is hard to find. Furthermore, the coin would then be hostage to that new lead dev's personal situation and wishes. The existing team should work to build a group of devs who can all put in a little time and the core team should work hard to attract and encourage such people.

Some months ago, I made a post on here about using burst as a storage network. Burst is better than the other coins that are trying to do this. We have miners with lots of storage who could repurpose their disk space between plots and storage as the market required. We also have a coin with ATs which could be used to govern the storage contracts. We could use them to make sure not only that clients can pay for storage and that disk farmers can be rewarded but also to ensure that neither party can carry out a "nothing at stake" attack. In my earlier post, I offered to pitch in with development effort to help set that up but none of the coin's core team responded. My offer is still open and I would suggest to the core team that they should consider that and any other offers.

@Irontiga: I believe that you are in godzone. If you are in Ak, perhaps we could meet and chat and if you think that I can help out, you can talk to the rest of the core team.

1) Try to recruit developers who will commit a few hours of their time as and when they can. Create some kind of on-boarding process for these volunteers such as getting the sources off github, making some trivial change and rebuilding all of the files that would make up a release. Just to check that they have the basic technical ability to contribute. Then establish a set of procedures for code reviews before changes to the burst software are accepted. Document that whole process.

2) Build a set of unit tests. We need these if we are going to have a number of devs working on different parts of the code. Any dev who wants to get involved should start there. It's not going to add features but it will make it a lot easier and safer to roll out new features in the future.

3) Setup a group to thrash out a roadmap of new features that will be implemented by the new dev-team over the next 12 months.

4) Perform a review of burst's POC algorithms. I understand that the security of these has been questioned so we should address that. I have a fair understanding of cryptography and I have access to people who work at the bleeding edge in that field so I can help there.

5) Lighten up on the abuse. Name calling and the use of disrespectful miss-spellings of folk's usernames should stop. It does not make the coin any better and it does not make people look any better if they do it.

I have not written anything about PR or white-papers but if we got through the five points above we would have lots to tell the world about and most of what we would need for a white-paper would have been sorted out.

That's it.

Awesome Cheesy That sounds like how it should be, not just a decentralized coin but also decentralized development.

No idea what godzone means...looks like some race? I'm in New Zealand though, but not AK if that means Auckland. PM me and maybe we could arrange something...idk. If you really are a SW engineer then you can definitely help out! For me the things we should be focussing on are storage and improving the marketplace/asset exchange. So yeah, we both agree on storage, as do most others I'm sure.

Also, @burstincomeasset, your asset is great, but no need to spam the thread with daily earnings. Your burstforum thread is for that Cheesy
Ok people we are really liquid, the INCOME asset will provide perpetual income. Today we made again +0.37644% gains , and current daily average is 0.23989%/day (based on our 4 day sample)

https://block.burstcoin.info/as.php?as=11188744773544606055

Looks like the INCOME is finally getting bought. Somebody put a 10 BURST BID, so the spread now is smaller, and can be easily traded.

I already said that I won't sell anymore INCOME at BID price (nor more sell walls at ASK , for the near future) , so the asset is free to trade/speculate.

But for now it looks like it's going only up! It would be nice to go above 20 BURST soon, as my ASK orders are >15, to get more funding.

Of course we will support BYTEENT, and a little bit of solarfarm, as we already hold 15383 BYTEENT & 1500 solarfarm

Here are our holdings:
https://block.burstcoin.info/acc.php?acc=BURST-XCJ9-Z5H2-MVKM-HA8EP

+0.11 BTC in the Satoshidice investment program.
Activity: 518
community development is the obvious choice for an open source project. I never assumed it wasn't community developed. it just happened there was only one dev. but by all means, everybody should contribute.

Great, then can we implement the reward changes and start working on the market?

Also, I sent a message to the dev for SIA to see if they'd be interested in integrating their storage and our mining style. If he gets back to me, I'll need a developer to speak with him.

Someone said that the SIA dev/Taek didn't like Burst for some reason. I would think it's a perfect cross project idea, especially if the plots can some how be converted to usable storage in SIA? Maybe also, have Burst linked some how to ETH, BlockNet and/or SuperNet?

If worst comes to worst, just fork Burst and make a whole new PoC coin....

technically the plots can't hold data
however it would be possible to do merged mining  POC + some scheme for the storage thing.
or perhaps integrate a storage market, or build it with AT's

Something has to be hybrid some how, even if the storage integration of the plots aren't currently possible.
community development is the obvious choice for an open source project. I never assumed it wasn't community developed. it just happened there was only one dev. but by all means, everybody should contribute.

Great, then can we implement the reward changes and start working on the market?

Also, I sent a message to the dev for SIA to see if they'd be interested in integrating their storage and our mining style. If he gets back to me, I'll need a developer to speak with him.

Someone said that the SIA dev/Taek didn't like Burst for some reason. I would think it's a perfect cross project idea, especially if the plots can some how be converted to usable storage in SIA? Maybe also, have Burst linked some how to ETH, BlockNet and/or SuperNet?

technically the plots can't hold data
however it would be possible to do merged mining  POC + some scheme for the storage thing.
Or perhaps integrate a storage market, or build it with AT's. Which is what I really had in mind when I suggested this to crow. So you would give up your plots but rent your storage instead.
Activity: 518

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

That's it.
Ok people we are really liquid, the INCOME asset will provide perpetual income. Today we made again +0.37644% gains , and current daily average is 0.23989%/day (based on our 4 day sample)

https://burstforum.com/index.php?threads/ann-income-asset-decentralized-referral-empire-based-income.839/page-4

People should really buy INCOME now, we need atleast 1 BTC worth of funds to really start making big bucks daily!

Actually I was thinking about (since the BURST price is so low), to give out INCOME shares directly for BTC.

So if you want to purchase INCOME for BTC the price is  150 satoshi / INCOME, which is a lot cheaper than what it costs in BURST, but this way we wont have to sell BURST to convert into BTC (for the investment), so that will not push the BURST price lower.

Minimum amount is 0.001 BTC.

So if anybody is interested you can PM me, and I send you the instructions!

We really need 1 BTC of funds, so buy INCOME!

I can talk to him, of course.
legendary

legendary
I suppose it is now obvious that the suggestions I've made as far as appointing a new main dev are not going to be accepted.

Since this is the case, what is the suggestion from anyone else? We open it up for community development? Okay, in theory... but will it actually happen? I'm doubtful.

We try to find another dev willing to literally pay to work and hope their work raises the coin's value?

We continue on without any updates?

What?

I'm not sure, since all my ideas are shut down by everyone. Maybe everyone should help me with the big issues here...

Everything is perfect, BURST never needs anymore updates ever?

We wait for main dev and hope he returns from wherever he went without even telling anyone?

I had someone willing to take over, but the community isn't willing to either help fund the team nor give ideas and a way to carry them out regarding the central development.

what now? seriously...
Pinball, everybody would voluntarily do stuff. Really? When will that happen? Will this big holder come out and speak to the community at least? Why haven't they done it already? it's been an year.
There's nothing wrong with a dev tax, especially considering that the block reward will be increasing.
I'm the largest miner here and I'm all for the tax. In fact other than my bounty I don't think anybody ever donated anything for development. Your dev has quit, how can you make your case that we don't need a tax?

And about the bounty. I hear the mixer is ready, would somebody give me a link with a quick howto, so I can check it out and pay the 1M I promised? That is if I'm correct in assuming that the mixer is functional now.

As for voluntarily doing stuff, it's kinda hard to pay for something yourself, while everybody else doesn't. Having a 10% dev fee, will make this actually work, everybody will contribute, nobody will be left out.

As for making contributions to the daemon. I might, if I'm happy with what's going on. I'm not going to contribute to a community that works against me. Surely you can understand that. However, I no longer wish to be the main dev, because as I can see, it just means that I would be the one everybody is asking to work for free, the one to take all the blaim, etc. At least on this part I totally agree with you.

crowetic, we don't need to change the min tx fee. That's regulated by the miners, or pools, if somehow anybody can agree with anybody over here. But I will take the lead and put a min tx fee on my pool, and post the modification to the daemon, if it's not simply a parameter... I will check.
Activity: 286
Merit: 250
Okay, what if we make the following modifications...

1. The cap stays, but coins are added to its total.

2. Rewards are still raised, and decline in reward is lowered. Reward goes to 15k/block now, and reward decline changes to match bitcoin's halving times, by going to 1.455% per month.

3. Transaction fees go up too, minimum goes to 2 or more BURST per transaction, until we believe we can lower it again when there are many more transactions in the network.

This gives incentive for miners to jump back in now and make network bigger again, during this we work our asses off and get the market mods done, mixer AT integrated, etc. Make the market browser better with categories and searchable, etc. Hire a PR company to promote the decentralized market, and get many more users to it.

Get more assets up and running, and work hard to get investors at the same time.

Nice, but some devfund most be established to cover expenses. I think it makes sense that a small part of each block should be devoted to this. Not anywhere near 10% but some.

Fees can also be made relative to the sum sent: Are you sending large amounts, it's not unreasonable with higher fees.

Right, I did forget that part, there will still be a dev fund, and I think 10% is fair, but we can go lower, maybe 8? But it isn't just a dev fund, you can think of it as a future promo, development and just an overall futures fund for the coin...

It will allow us to HIRE devs to do whatever we need, hire graphic designers, whatever the coin needs! I don't see why everyone expects the few members who already put a ton of work into everything to pay for all of this out of their pockets as well, I'm a fairly large miner and I would have absolutely no issue with this percentage going to further the coin.

Then when we can get our p2p voting system implemented, the people with more coin can have more power in helping to decide how that money is spent. So it isn't like there will be an overlord who will decide everything. There will be voting and we will all make decisions, and of course, the ones with a larger stake and thus more invested into the coin will have more of a say. I feel this is ultimately extremely fair.

I would not like if BURST were created or taken from holders to fund a dev fund. It smells too much of taxes and centralized control, and that is not what i think crypto is all about. If big holders wants something done very much, they should pay themselves to have that done, not try to grab control of a money flow that is taken automatically from all the other users.

Those who developed burst to where it is today, and who might have saved up a stash of coins will probably also not really think happy thoughts about the price going lower bc we introduce centralized planning and "taxes".

I'm all for a solution where you have a list of stuff that would be nice to have, and where people voluntarily can fund the stuff they want the most.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
C`mon guys i cant believe nobody added this coin yet to Yobit:

https://yobit.net/en/addcoin/

Guys add the coin to yobit so that I can buy some. I`m waiting here for like 1 month to buy some.

but i cant understand one thing here, why if you want to buy burst, you don't use one of the current exchanges where we are?

Because I dont want to have like 1000 exchange accounts. I am usng Yobit and i would like to buy some BURST ffs.

Please guys add it to yobit, i see you guys need some investors, man there are tons of traders there who would pump the price up to 100 satoshi!!!

Just add it to Yobit and all problems will be solved!!

Lol c`mon guys, is it so fucking hard to just add it to Yobit, it would help your currency.

It takes 5 minutes to fill out the form. Seriously WTF guys, please dont be lazy!  Cheesy Cheesy

And why can't you spend those damn 5 min.? Laziness...?

No because i have no idea of this coin, you have to fill out some tech specifications there, and i have no clue about this coin whatsoever.

It is the devs that are lazy, this coin needs to be on all exchanges, including where I trade usually at Yobit.

So please somebody add it!

I think we can help you better, if you ask the tech details you need to know to add it.

But I dont think it is as easy as you imagine, because I checked the form to add new coins. BURST isn't a POW or POS coin, its a POC Coin, so the standard form doesn't help for this coin.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1009
JAYCE DESIGNS - http://bit.ly/1tmgIwK

Guys add the coin to yobit so that I can buy some. I`m waiting here for like 1 month to buy some.

but i cant understand one thing here, why if you want to buy burst, you don't use one of the current exchanges where we are?

Because I dont want to have like 1000 exchange accounts. I am usng Yobit and i would like to buy some BURST ffs.

Please guys add it to yobit, i see you guys need some investors, man there are tons of traders there who would pump the price up to 100 satoshi!!!

Lol c`mon guys, is it so fucking hard to just add it to Yobit, it would help your currency.

It takes 5 minutes to fill out the form. Seriously WTF guys, please dont be lazy!  Cheesy Cheesy

No because i have no idea of this coin, you have to fill out some tech specifications there, and i have no clue about this coin whatsoever.

It is the devs that are lazy, this coin needs to be on all exchanges, including where I trade usually at Yobit.

As you can see man, we're sorta a little bit low on people, and in the middle of deciding things that are more important than getting on another exchange right now. Not to mention, if the changes ARE made, the exchanges will need to update anyway, so there's no point in even trying until after we make decisions.

thanks.

Ok man, but please dont forget to add it on yobit after,

I would really like to trade this coin. Ok good luck with the changes guys!
legendary

It takes 5 minutes to fill out the form. Seriously WTF guys, please dont be lazy!  Cheesy Cheesy

As you can see man, we're sorta a little bit low on people, and in the middle of deciding things that are more important than getting on another exchange right now. Not to mention, if the changes ARE made, the exchanges will need to update anyway, so there's no point in even trying until after we make decisions.

thanks.
Jump to: