Author

Topic: [ANN][DCR] Decred - Community Governance | Bitcoin Devs | Lightning Network - page 550. (Read 1201332 times)

legendary
Activity: 1090
Merit: 1000
Native wallet GUIs for Windows, OS X, *nix, and *BSD

That is interesting. No one that I know of has bothered to make a wallet for BSD let alone a gui wallet. Watching.
legendary
Activity: 966
The potential of this coin is really high, lets see how Dev manage it and above all how they make a cheap  marketing campaign that arrives outside of the still small Bitcointalk community, it is the time to go beyond
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
ohh, will Decred become Bitcoin 2.0 ? watching with full attention.
Activity: 156
Merit: 236
Ok, so it is pretty clear what Decred will be at launch. I have one question though, what is the "roadmap" for Decred or does one exist at all? If not, should one exist? It will have self-funding development, development of what though? Obviously, by design the stakeholders choose but it may be good to have a clear direction to start with to avoid conflict/controversies early on.

I would refer you to my latest thread to give you a good starting point: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/in-order-for-a-cryptocurrency-to-be-successful-in-5-years-time-it-must-have-1285787

I value pretty much every option in my poll. Cool

It seems people on the forums value the following more so than other features:

High Scalability
High Transaction Speeds
Privacy / Anonymity
Mobile Wallets
Decentralized Exchanges
Decentralized Markets

Is Decred an "anti gizmos and gadgets" or "kiss" kind of project, or will it fully embrace decentralized blockchain technology and remain experimental/innovative in its future development?

To give you a quick rundown of what Decred will need to work on immediately after launch:

- Sync from btcd (there is a new db branch that brings impressive gains - substantial overhaul of the database layer)
- Native wallet GUIs for Windows, OS X, *nix, and *BSD (there is a native framework being worked on)
- Payment processing from dcr to fiat and support for dcr exchanges (e.g., ShapeShift, Poloniex, etc.)

A key point to remember is that these targets shouldn't take more than a few months, otherwise it's easy to get bogged down if the initial roadmap is too lofty in real terms. Building out from the fundamentals will be a lot more interesting once it's multi-stakeholder too - see what other development parties bring to the table and setting up a communication platform to see what the community wants done (where voting can occur as well).
Activity: 840
I think that people confuse innovation with new technology rather than solving existing problems. IMO this field of cryptocurrency is still very new and evolving. This is a complex technology which has many layers, so there is lots of innovation to be had in optimizing already existing code/technology. My view would be to involve Dave Hudson from HashingIt (http://hashingit.com/about-hashingit-com) or someone similar, who can provide right direction or at least some scientific data to decide right direction. We can't make decisions based on idealogy/emotions/greed & speculation but on data & Constitution of decred that is already available.

Also, I don't think any cryptocurrency should try to become a quick payment method if it conflicts with the core principle/strength of bitcoin/decred because its simply inefficient for that purpose by design. If a solution can be found that works alongside what we already have i am pretty satisfied with my tx times. As the decred blog says, some people invested in bitcoin have there own agenda/vision for it which conflicts with decentralization. I don't understand obsession with adoption/payment processing without proper scaling solution. There has to be some profit, financial or not, motive for this crazyness.

One thing the project is experimenting with is setting up a proper web platform geared toward discourse and voting so we as a community can engage and interact in a constructive way - all around the specific notion of software development. There are some really great open-source development efforts in this space, so it's likely Decred will draw on some of these actively maintained packages. Will post an answer to CoinHoarder's question since there is a proper roadmap of things the software absolutely needs, that will share nearly unanimous agreement. That may be a good starting point. But you can imagine with a proper platform, any other development party (or individual) can come along and choose a feature implementation proposal - and get paid for that work. No need to rely on donations and see it stagnate. The project will have continued development from day 1. Finding a way to connect the community to that process using a platform in a constructive way will be excellent, since that'll mean there'll always be a public and transparent pulse of the community-technology interface in the system.

Thanks for replying, i am quite curious about how we can engage most of the community instead of just techies, i mean it has to be some sort of tiered approach so that anyone can come in with a crude idea w/o any technical/coding perspective and then community can help convert it into something like a BIP for bitcoin. Although we need lot of explanatory material to bridge the gap between tech & non-tech crowd because one has to put effort into understanding how things work to make a good proplosal. Without good articles/how-to/video of inner working of things we might easily alienate a lot of people.
I think that people confuse innovation with new technology rather than solving existing problems. IMO this field of cryptocurrency is still very new and evolving. This is a complex technology which has many layers, so there is lots of innovation to be had in optimizing already existing code/technology. My view would be to involve Dave Hudson from HashingIt (http://hashingit.com/about-hashingit-com) or someone similar, who can provide right direction or at least some scientific data to decide right direction. We can't make decisions based on idealogy/emotions/greed & speculation but on data & Constitution of decred that is already available.

Also, I don't think any cryptocurrency should try to become a quick payment method if it conflicts with the core principle/strength of bitcoin/decred because its simply inefficient for that purpose by design. If a solution can be found that works alongside what we already have i am pretty satisfied with my tx times. As the decred blog says, some people invested in bitcoin have there own agenda/vision for it which conflicts with decentralization. I don't understand obsession with adoption/payment processing without proper scaling solution. There has to be some profit, financial or not, motive for this crazyness.

One thing the project is experimenting with is setting up a proper web platform geared toward discourse and voting so we as a community can engage and interact in a constructive way - all around the specific notion of software development. There are some really great open-source development efforts in this space, so it's likely Decred will draw on some of these actively maintained packages. Will post an answer to CoinHoarder's question since there is a proper roadmap of things the software absolutely needs, that will share nearly unanimous agreement. That may be a good starting point. But you can imagine with a proper platform, any other development party (or individual) can come along and choose a feature implementation proposal - and get paid for that work. No need to rely on donations and see it stagnate. The project will have continued development from day 1. Finding a way to connect the community to that process using a platform in a constructive way will be excellent, since that'll mean there'll always be a public and transparent pulse of the community-technology interface in the system.
legendary
Activity: 1779
Merit: 1100
Activity: 840
Ok, so it is pretty clear what Decred will be at launch. I have one question though, what is the "roadmap" for Decred or does one exist at all? If not, should one exist? It will have self-funding development, development of what though? Obviously, by design the stakeholders choose but it may be good to have a clear direction to start with to avoid conflict/controversies early on.

I would refer you to my latest thread to give you a good starting point: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/in-order-for-a-cryptocurrency-to-be-successful-in-5-years-time-it-must-have-1285787

High Scalability
High Transaction Speeds
Privacy / Anonymity
Mobile Wallets
Decentralized Exchanges
Decentralized Markets

Is Decred an "anti gizmos and gadgets" or "kiss" kind of project, or will it fully embrace decentralized blockchain technology and remain experimental/innovative in its future development?

zpu
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Activity: 722
Merit: 500

Well done guys on getting to this stage after all this time,

I always believed you had the ability to  bring something new to the table

got myself signed up and best wishes for the future
Activity: 452
Merit: 251
This has been a loong time coming, gentlemen.  I am glad to see it finally taking shape outside of the idea phase.  Consider me watching this very closely.

Welcome back and nice to see you again! Make sure you sign up for airdrop, in case you missed it.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
lol  Cheesy
wallet dont sync .

I think It hasn't launched yet ...
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust

High Scalability
High Transaction Speeds
Privacy / Anonymity
Mobile Wallets
Decentralized Exchanges
Decentralized Markets

legendary
Activity: 2884
Merit: 1035
how can i partcipate in the @op. I am not a devloper. And whats the last date of applying for this

You can go to https://decred.org and fill in the airdrop form. Let me know if you have problems with it. You can sign up until right before the launch date - but this is tentative as Jan 18th. Obviously a good idea to get in early because waiting that late could cause problems with correspondence between the project and yourself.

"Online presence with reasonable activity"
I filled this form by link to my profile in one of social network, is it right ?
and it would be nice to get an email confirmation, but nothing
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
This has been a loong time coming, gentlemen.  I am glad to see it finally taking shape outside of the idea phase.  Consider me watching this very closely.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1073
how can i partcipate in the @op. I am not a devloper. And whats the last date of applying for this

You can go to https://decred.org and fill in the airdrop form. Let me know if you have problems with it. You can sign up until right before the launch date - but this is tentative as Jan 18th. Obviously a good idea to get in early because waiting that late could cause problems with correspondence between the project and yourself.

Just for my curiosity, and not only Smiley - could you please tell how many people already applied..? Thanks!
and what should i type in online activity on the signup forum?

You need to enter a link to an online account (can be a forum account with activity) so that the project can confirm you're a person, essentially.
Activity: 243
Merit: 250

and what should i type in online activity on the signup forum?
Activity: 605
Merit: 500
Credit - Debit .... just wait... and again boom  
Activity: 155
Merit: 100
THIS IS THE NEW HOMERO COIN I MEAN NEW PAYCOIN SCAM SHIT COIN LOL

say a user with trust -16  Grin
btw, all alts are clones  Wink

im in for the airdrop  Cool
Jump to: