Author

Topic: [ANN][MOON] Mooncoin: You know where it's headed! KGW exploit FIXED 4/3/2014 - page 209. (Read 1106889 times)

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1007
spreadcoin.info
Where can I find out the current value of Mooncoin?As I can't seem to find it on any exchanges.I hope they're still worth something (or is it too late?).

Would appreciate some advice so I can decide whether to cash all out or hold on in the hope of rising value.Thanks Smiley

it's listed on cryptsy under MOON/LTC

you probably don't find it because you are looking for MOON/BTC.... look for MOON/LTC....
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Freelance videographer
Where can I find out the current value of Mooncoin?As I can't seem to find it on any exchanges.I hope they're still worth something (or is it too late?).

Would appreciate some advice so I can decide whether to cash all out or hold on in the hope of rising value.Thanks Smiley
legendary
Activity: 840
As far as i can see, PoS is not the good solution, look at the PoS coins, only the original miners are supporting it, most newcomers who are not involved in the PoW don't even bother touching it.

The question is, who you see as "newcomers"? Surely a technical minded one, that likes to tinker with equipment, will be bored by having nothing to do, but start the wallet, buy coins and let the capital grow only by keeping the wallet connected to the network. But is this also true for those, that aren't able or willing to spend hours of work with getting their GPUs to work for mining?
At the end, a coin really only can survive if it is anchored in the broad mass. And I'd say 99% of those cannot even understand what mining really is (if you describe more than saying "printing virtual money"), let alone can setup a mining rig. They don't bother, if the coins they buy and use(!) are mined via SHA256, X11, Scrypt or PoS, they simply (and ideally) want to possess some, because it is "cool" to be part of it, has a collector's value, or has a real hard value for them (fast and cheap worldwide payment, secure storage of value etc.), or is a nice object for speculation.
We always have to keep that in mind.

Edit: typos
legendary
@Graham
More reason to consider algo change to X11.  Higher hashrates and lower power consumption Smiley
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7520635

Even if X11 consumes less power, it is not profitable for most of the miners to mine coins with GPUs anymore. Be it Scrypt, X11, Groestl or another algorithm. Only those with very low electricity-costs can still mine profitable with GPUs, which is not true for nearly all (highly) developed countries with the corresponding power costs.
So as said: why saddle on a dead horse? What we need is not necessarily switching over to the next best algo, but a more widespread adoption of Mooncoin. It has to be profitable to mine it by the price, not by the algo. (Edit: And the price is made by demand, not by the algorithm.) Those miners that can mine X11 profitably, can also mine Scrypt profitably most of the time. Just see the lists on Coinwarz and Cointweak. There isn't really much of a difference between the profitability of the single algos.

Edit: And as it ever gets more easy to mine with the development of mining-software for the newer algos, the amount of dedicated GPU-mining power will proportionally go up for the other algos, too, if the price rises. So at the end the situation is the same for the other coins/algos as it is for Scrypt-based ones, because the free market will regulate that.

Edit 2:
"Bait the hook to suit the fish ... not the fisherman."  Cheesy
... I know it all depends on the perspective. But if the coin is interesting for many people to buy into, it is more or less regardless of which algo a coin is based on, because then the price rises and the miners will switch over automatically.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Digital Crypto Wealth Management Platform
As far as i can see, PoS is not the good solution, look at the PoS coins, only the original miners are supporting it, most newcomers who are not involved in the PoW don't even bother touching it.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
@Graham
More reason to consider algo change to X11.  Higher hashrates and lower power consumption Smiley
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7520635
Activity: 616
Merit: 321
so here we are again !

lets get moon back on track , i have manage to get us running / mining on p2p network :  -o stratum+tcp://148.251.13.168:9664

dont forget to take a look on our webpage we stil accepting mooncoin !!   Addrress :  2RHr973Z7RXi9qWzrG7Wko8Ednpbq4KDoU  /Galgo Support

keep it up  !!!
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1290
Upside down moon?

TIFOFM (figured out for mysef) that the moon in the southern hemisphere sky would be inverted with respect to my normal northern hemisphere view.

wikipedia already knew but it didn't have any suitable images and I wanted to get a sense of how visually different the views are. Quite a bit, it seems.

Which moon is your moon?

Trivia: The current Mooncoin logo shows an image of the moon seen from the southern hemisphere.

We're sorry, we couldn't help ourselves ....

[ANN] The nearly-infamous Three Moon Wolf T-shirt.

Cheers,

Graham

legendary
Well let me try to give you some idea of what has occurred with Pandacoin PND

Objective achieved, in spades. Thank you for those invaluable insights, the detail is especially useful. I'm going to have an entertaining time trying to assess the relative impact of each of the various contributory factors you've identified.

I find your observations on distribution to be especially pertinent. One of my self-appointed tasks is to produce an estimate of the density of Mooncoin distribution. I'm fairly sure it's do-able, just a matter of tracking down an adequately-detailed description of the technique.

Cheers,

Graham

Activity: 39
Merit: 0
Well let me try to give you some idea of what has occurred with Pandacoin PND,  results will likely vary but prior to our PoS discussion we were down to little activity very low prices of 5 or so litoshi.  Sites supporting PND were shutting down, and the end seemed to be just a matter of time as everyone mining seemed to keep selling lower and there wasn't much lower to go.  Our devs did open to new ideas and the community started to brainstorm, we discussed PoS and multipool.  We actually just started with a multipool in tandem with POW mining and open discussions on new developments coming...
Our activity increased by getting the community more involved,  the price began to lift slowly and we started the voting and much was discussed on our IRC but our bct and reddit started getting more active. Our Pandacoin PND coin had a 51% attack attempted but failed as our dev noticed we were being attacked and used the multipool power to fend off the attack barely.  We as a community started growing and getting some small amount of new attention and interest...   we have gone from 1 or 2 original devs now to 12+  dedicated professionals, lots of new sites and services all the time, Coin value has smoothly been rising overall  but the excitement in the community has been exceptional.  We feel Pandacoin PND is still very undervalued but try not to pump, please don't take this as a pumping, just trying to help mooncoin some.  Mooncoin like Pandacoin has good and vast distribution this is a good thing for PoS IMHO  would make for a well secured network. For the sake of disclosure I do own 3,490,571.88149292 + (1'957'633.41038613 recent buying at swisscex) Moon myself ( guess I sense a bottom Wink been nibbling https://www.swisscex.com/market/MOON_LTC.  That was PND too but now they gave us back BTC markets and mintpal did too, very rare. Will be buying much more if things start to look up, if your not evolving your gonna just be food for the survivors who do I am thinking.

Thanks for posting it gives me hope. I hope that moon wil get some new innovations and will rise again!
Activity: 575
Merit: 250
PND DevTeam
Well let me try to give you some idea of what has occurred with Pandacoin PND,  results will likely vary but prior to our PoS discussion we were down to little activity very low prices of 5 or so litoshi.  Sites supporting PND were shutting down, and the end seemed to be just a matter of time as everyone mining seemed to keep selling lower and there wasn't much lower to go.  Our devs did open to new ideas and the community started to brainstorm, we discussed PoS and multipool.  We actually just started with a multipool in tandem with POW mining and open discussions on new developments coming...
Our activity increased by getting the community more involved,  the price began to lift slowly and we started the voting and much was discussed on our IRC but our bct and reddit started getting more active. Our Pandacoin PND coin had a 51% attack attempted but failed as our dev noticed we were being attacked and used the multipool power to fend off the attack barely.  We as a community started growing and getting some small amount of new attention and interest...   we have gone from 1 or 2 original devs now to 12+  dedicated professionals, lots of new sites and services all the time, Coin value has smoothly been rising overall  but the excitement in the community has been exceptional.  We feel Pandacoin PND is still very undervalued but try not to pump, please don't take this as a pumping, just trying to help mooncoin some.  Mooncoin like Pandacoin has good and vast distribution this is a good thing for PoS IMHO  would make for a well secured network. For the sake of disclosure I do own 3,490,571.88149292 + (1'957'633.41038613 recent buying at swisscex) Moon myself ( guess I sense a bottom Wink been nibbling https://www.swisscex.com/market/MOON_LTC.  That was PND too but now they gave us back BTC markets and mintpal did too, very rare. Will be buying much more if things start to look up, if your not evolving your gonna just be food for the survivors who do I am thinking.
legendary

Thanks for the pointer, the discussion makes for interesting reading. I was a bit surprised not to see at least some numerical analysis, did no-one contribute any figures or graphs? Perhaps that happened in a different communications channel.

The PoW phase was curtailed to 32 billion coins. Is 100 billion still expected to be the total number of Pandacoin PND generated under the new 100% PoS scheme?

And since going 100% PoS we have been growing and advancing very well.

That sounds very positive.

I don't believe that we can point to any tangible consensus on the metrics and instrumentation of Mooncoin's performance, we have yet to tackle that issue. And whilst we Moonies will obviously have to choose a metrics and measurement approach that is appropriate to Mooncoin's objectives, I'm always interested in developing my understanding of the pros and cons of different ways to measure a coin's performance; how is Pandacoin PND's growth and advancement measured?

I'm sure Moonies would appreciate some food for thought when considering metrics, instrumentation and aims so I'll quote the intro text from the OP and the About page - it uses a broad, soft brush but I think the picture is painted well enough to mark out the playing field:

Mooncoin. You know where it’s headed.

Won’t you tag along for the ride?

With over 384 billion MOON available, there is one coin for each millimeter of distance from the Earth to the Moon!

Mooncoin is intended to provide the thrill of big coin hunting and trading but with long-term stability. Based on sane block release targets, Mooncoin should provide years of good mining for all ages and equipment types.

Cheers,

Graham
legendary
There are pros and cons with PoS.

A case in point.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7475135

I must admit I have yet to try and classify the PoS implementation variants.

Cheers,

Graham
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
BTW: What do you think of Proof of Stake? A good thing for Mooncoin, too? What I like with POS is that you don't have to "waste" plenty of electricity only to find blocks ...

There are pros and cons with PoS. I'll research the issue and present a technical appreciation.

Is wasting energy your primary concern? Any others come to mind?

What say the Moonies? Want me to look at anything specific?

Energy cost quite high in my area!  alternate algo X11 or groestl can help Smiley
PoS would be awesome for bagholders such as myself Smiley

I am not currently mining MOON because it is no longer profitable for GPU to me.
I am currently solo mining DMD which has PoS and uses groestl Smiley
legendary
Altcoiner: to the mooon!
Moonie: Certainly, single or return?

Cheesy

BTW: What do you think of Proof of Stake? A good thing for Mooncoin, too? What I like with POS is that you don't have to "waste" plenty of electricity only to find blocks ...

There are pros and cons with PoS. I'll research the issue and present a technical appreciation.

Is wasting energy your primary concern? Any others come to mind?

What say the Moonies? Want me to look at anything specific?

Cheers

Graham

legendary

Cheesy

Edit:
Maybe interesting to to read for all that don't know POS already: http://bitcoinmagazine.com/6528/
legendary

Brown-bagging from my response there ... just to let you know ...

Hello Moonies!

A developed sense of identity is invariably accompanied by a distinguishing label.

Cheers,

Graham

still impressed with:

legendary
With so much hashrate going to hit all at once right at the off, I'm wondering if there is really any point.
What's the starting difficulty going to be? Isn't it just going to be a massive orphan fest?

Don't know what you mean exactly, but the difficulty rising does not mean automatically to have many orphans, since if you mine in a pool with vardiff for example, the share-/work-difficulty will be set according to the hashrate one adds to the pool. So someone with big power will get higher share-difficulties, someone with only a little power will get shares that are easier to solve. So that the average rate of any solved share presented back to the pool will be sent in roughly the same timeframe. IF the pool uses vardiff, AND/OR you can set the diff for your device manually in the pools settings. For example P2Pool constantly adjusts the share-difficulty to the rate of your device, but you can also add a preset to the address that you mine to (format/example: 2DAMoonT94308uyxfdj7349367sadkj+0.0000016), in order to tell the pool, that you don't want to get lower diff shares than the preset, to save you from too much work that does not fit your miner. On multipool.us for example you can preset a difficulty in the settings on their site.
Hope this helps.
Jump to: