Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] btctip.com- send bitcoins with a tweet - page 3. (Read 13144 times)

Activity: 772
Merit: 501
Awesome! That's great. Thanks for giving it another chance Smiley

Also note every one, 'internet' and 'internets' have been added as aliases of the 'bitcent' unit, and 'woolong' and 'woolongs' added as aliases of the 'millibit' unit.

Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
Well a few hours ago I tried again cuz I feltl I should after you quick response here in the forum. It worked! The. Tried again with the same priblematic account which failed twice and WORKED TOO! Have just sent two more and have been confirmed in seconds...

Maybe all the problem was lag in the Twitter search results so that affected the crawl. But I can now confirm that BTCTIP is really fast to confirm. Let's see if recipients know what to do then Smiley

(Still thinking about the mentions method as a better way, no search results problems).
I don't know why it didn't work. I tried to replicate the bug but couldn't. Are you sure the tweet wasn't made in reply to another tweet? In any case, thanks for your report. Honest feedback can be very helpful. It might be necessary to switch over to using mentions.

BTW what about using Tweetbot / Twitter for iPhone / Tweetdeck... I know this doesn't mean anything, but would it affect the way the twit is written?

I don't think it affects the way the tweet is written.
Bitcoin Venezuela

@btctip @example_user 0.1 bitcoin

This sounds good and maybe would work better.

As I said I tested the service with one very first twit and worked, but I won't use it again after sending a twit twice (with a +7 hours gap) and never getting the confirmation.

BTW what about using Tweetbot / Twitter for iPhone / Tweetdeck... I know this doesn't mean anything, but would it affect the way the twit is written? I checked the #btctip search results and the failed twit appeared there for hours but never received the @btctip confirmation.
Have deposited into my BTCtip account, 2 confirmations and the balance grew up.

Sent 1 twit... Confirmation in minutes!

Sent another 7 hours ago (a few minutes after the first one)... no response.

Sent again 1 hour ago the twit with a little change in text (Twitter didn't let me just twit again the same)... no response.

Conclusion: #btctip command and search is not working properly (Twitter's search for # never has). What about this:

Mention + Command?

@btctip #btctip @exampleuser 0.10 BTC

And look at Mentions (which work better than search #), ignore @btctip mention in twit and run the command #btctip.

Could it be possible? Isn't that a better way? I can't imaging Erik Voorhees (or ME!) sending hundreds of #btctips and then all of his recipients not receiving their tips... Would be harmful for the BTCtip service.

This is a good suggestion, though I've justed tested 10 tweets, and all 10 of them worked.

One thing that's important for forming commands that work is making sure they are not replies. Replies have a low success rate, as they often don't show up in Twitter's search results. I'm going to add a note in the www.btctip.com instructions stating that #btctip commands need to be normal status tweets rather than replies to work reliably.

I think using mentions instead of searching for hashtags has merit if it allows reply commands that work. That would be a significant improvement over the current protocol, as I think it's quite common to want to reply to a tweet with a tip.

If I were to change it, I think the best syntax would be:

@btctip @example_user 0.1 bitcoin

The #btctip can just be removed.

Bitcoin Venezuela
Have deposited into my BTCtip account, 2 confirmations and the balance grew up.

Sent 1 twit... Confirmation in minutes!

Sent another 7 hours ago (a few minutes after the first one)... no response.

Sent again 1 hour ago the twit with a little change in text (Twitter didn't let me just twit again the same)... no response.

Conclusion: #btctip command and search is not working properly (Twitter's search for # never has). What about this:

Mention + Command?

@btctip #btctip @exampleuser 0.10 BTC

And look at Mentions (which work better than search #), ignore @btctip mention in twit and run the command #btctip.

Could it be possible? Isn't that a better way? I can't imaging Erik Voorhees (or ME!) sending hundreds of #btctips and then all of his recipients not receiving their tips... Would be harmful for the BTCtip service.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
(the following is not meant as humor)

I like this service, albeit I've yet to use it. I see potential here. Imagine a user named TweetaGoat. Their sole purpose is to garner enough micro donations to send to some charitable organization that has a "Give a Goat" program in place. I'm only using goat as an example because it's currently trending on BitconTalk, but any worthwhile cause would work. The main drawback is that there currently isn't enough Tweeps using Bitcoin to make it work, but givin' time some notable is going to come along and bring this service awareness via some viral event.

Surely people would have no problem learning the easy system, for many of them already know how to text a five digit code to send to non-profits via SMS. Virtually the same principal here, but with a twist--it's done with all to see. A lot of people our hooked on themselves and would love the fact that they can share with the world what they did, oppose to via SMS where the transfer is private for all practical concerns.

I just realized that I'm penning this from a charitable standpoint oppose from a tipping service standpoint, but the process applies nonetheless.

It sure would be nice if all the transactions were continuously tallied. Imagine the impact once a million US dollars were sent via Twitter, all with virtually no fees. That would be awesome!

~Bruno K~
Bitcoin Venezuela

I think I see a problem.  If I am doing an @reply to someone, BTCTip didn't catch it.

Try adding a dot in the first place when replying to a tweet. This way Twitter treat the reply as a normal tweet and let everyone read it (so BTCtip could).
Sorry for not responding sooner:

Hm ... another one that didn't get send out, and it wasn't an @reply -- but did have two @names in the tweet:

BTCTip relies on Twitter's search results stream to retrieve messages with #btctip in it. Twitter search is not always reliable, so some tip messages won't be picked up, especially if they're from less important users, or if they're replies. Most #btctip tweets are detected by BTCTip though.

Thanks for bringing problems with the service to my attention.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
I think I see a problem.  If I am doing an @reply to someone, BTCTip didn't catch it.

Hm ... another one that didn't get send out, and it wasn't an @reply -- but did have two @names in the tweet:

- https://twitter.com/bitcoinmoney/status/240252850570133504
legendary
hey @maxkeiser and @stacyherbert have some #btctip 100 mBTC

what would happen? does the "#btctip" have to be directly after the @[user]?

You need to put the #btctip directly before @[user]. The ordering of the terms in the tipping command has to be: #btctip @[user] [amount] [unit]. The tipping command can be put any where in the tweet (e.g. beginning, middle, end).

Also, note that you can only tip one person per tweet, so if you include two tipping commands in one tweet, it won't work.

I think I see a problem.  If I am doing an @reply to someone, BTCTip didn't catch it.

Here's the one that this happened on. BTCTip has not yet sent out the tweet to notify the recipient:
 - https://twitter.com/bitcoindia/status/239272879458504706
Well looks like you had nothing to disagree with which give me more confidence of my understanding of your service to integrate to CIB

I think it's a great idea, but it might only be easy enough to integrate if an API is built for BTCTip that could notify third party sites like yours of payment receipts as well as the product #.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Quote from: Stephen
If I had sufficient funds in that account, they would have been taken and sent out as a tip.

That's probably not desired behavior. I believe the Twitter API allows you to know that what you saw is a native retweet and for BTCTip to ignore those.

You're right, this is not a desired behavior. Thanks for the tip regarding the Twitter API and retweets, I'll look into it.

Quote from: Xenland
#btctip @[payee's Twitter username] [amount] [unit] [cib order id #]

Then cheaperinbitcoins.com would check by some means and approve of the transaction.

Noted..

Well looks like you had nothing to disagree with which give me more confidence of my understanding of your service to integrate to CIB
Quote from: Stephen
If I had sufficient funds in that account, they would have been taken and sent out as a tip.

That's probably not desired behavior. I believe the Twitter API allows you to know that what you saw is a native retweet and for BTCTip to ignore those.

You're right, this is not a desired behavior. Thanks for the tip regarding the Twitter API and retweets, I'll look into it.

Quote from: Xenland

Then cheaperinbitcoins.com would check by some means and approve of the transaction.

Noted..
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
I wrote down in my "List of things to do with Cheaper In Bitcoins dot com" to accept payments from twitter/BTCtip.com

Does this sound like a useful feature?

I imagine one would tweet the following

legendary
There's a problem where if I'm retweeting, that doesn't mean I want to send payment too!

Here using @BitcoinNews I clicked the Retweet:
 - https://twitter.com/bitcoinmoney/status/218756094795857920

And BTCTip interpreted that as a request to tip.
 - https://twitter.com/btctip/status/218756622057619460

Just wanted to let people know that I got some of my tips back after 1 month since the recipient didn't claim it. amincd, you still working on this?

Thanks for reporting this. I haven't been working on it lately as I've been preoccupied with other things but I'm planning on doing another push soon.

Quote from: Vernon15
One problem that I see is that it is not anonymous.

It's a problem if you want your donation to be anonymous. If you want some public recognition for your donation though, I think it's the best way available, since it gives it without giving away your bitcoin address.

Quote from: Stephen Gornick
Well, there's one other method.  Simply giving me the option to instead send a tip using a form on your site.

So I login, enter the amount and to which Twitter username to send the funds, you BTCTip takes it from there.

You could even give a checkbox -- Tip anonymously

That's a great idea, thanks for the suggestion.

Quote from: Andrew Bitcoiner
Great idea, good luck!

Thanks!
legendary

There's another thread for BTCTip and I just suggested the feature to address that:

Thanks!

If you have any recommendations on making the syntax clearer, please let me know.

Well, there's one other method.  Simply giving me the option to instead send a tip using a form on your site.

So I login, enter the amount and to which Twitter username to send the funds, you BTCTip takes it from there.

You could even give a checkbox -- Tip anonymously

That way the recipient gets your @mention and I never had to post any #btctip message that my followers had to read.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
Just wanted to let people know that I got some of my tips back after 1 month since the recipient didn't claim it. amincd, you still working on this?
Pages:
Jump to: