Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] btctip.com- send bitcoins with a tweet - page 4. (Read 13144 times)

legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1003
I'm not just any shaman, I'm a Sha256man
Excellent Idea, This should help with the Network effect! Cheesy
Activity: 772
Merit: 501
Especially for digital delivery items:

"Today's market update podcast reviews AAPL's quarterly results.  Send 0.1 BTC via @BTCTip and we'll send it to you."

Or for real-world situations as well:

"Our shipment of the new widget has arrived.  Send 1 BTC via @BTCTip to reserve yours! #widgets"

This is a great idea. I'm going to look into it more closely.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010
After seeing what Chirpify is doing (providing a way for people with twitter accounts to sell stuff through tweets and then have chirpify take care of collecting the payment), I wonder if there is anything that BTCTip could do along the same lines.

(Incidentally, Chirpify just got $1.3 million in its first round of funding )

So right now, the primary use case for BTCTip is where a person with bitcoins gives bitcoins through Twitter to another person -- someone who might not even know what a Bitcoin is.

If the Chirpify concept were driectly adopted, here's what a solicitation might look like::
  "Selling used ATI 5870, for ~$145 worth of bitcoins.  Reply "bitcoinrocks" to buy for 29 BTC via @BTCTip http://pic.twitter.com/xxxxxx"

I'm not sure what Chirpify is doing to be able to monitor each @reply back to that user -- maybe they filter a feed from the Twitter firehose to monitor replies and take care of the transaction from there.  So to do what Chirpify is doing might be something a lot more complicated than it might seem.

But the take-away is that there is ecommerce that can happen through Twitter and BTCTip can help some of the ecommerce be paid for using Bitcoins.  So instead of just the BTCTip user sending out bitcoins, the user can request money as well.

Especially for digital delivery items:

"Today's market update podcast reviews AAPL's quarterly results.  Send 0.1 BTC via @BTCTip and we'll send it to you."

Or for real-world situations as well:

"Our shipment of the new widget has arrived.  Send 1 BTC via @BTCTip to reserve yours! #widgets"

That way the seller doesn't need to run any website, mess with any shopping cart software, upload to any third party site, etc.  And with the transaction the identity of the sender is known.

Anyone have any other ideas on how else Twitter and Bitcoin might intersect?
I'm pleased to announce that at 6:00 PM PST today, btctip.com will be implementing a new feature which returns unclaimed tips after 30 days to the tip sender.

What this means is that if you send a tip to another Twitter user, and they don't become a BTCTip user (which happens automatically when they log in) within 30 days of the tip being sent, then the tip will be returned to you. If they are already BTCTip users, their tip is considered claimed whether they log in or not.

10 days before the tip is returned, @btctip will post a tweet alerting the tip recipient that they have 10 more days to log in before their tip is returned.

Please note, if you have received a tip 30 or more days ago through BTCTip, and have not yet become a BTCTip member, the tip will be returned to the tipper, effective 6:00 PM PST.

This is a great suggestion and is actually going to be implemented. What's going to happen is that if someone is not a member and doesn't sign in to claim their tip within 30 days of it being sent, they're sent another message informing them that their tip will be returned to the tipper unless they log in to claim it within the subsequent 10 days.
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
Hey amincd,

One question is what happens if someone doesn't claim their tips? It might be good to display a message or list of past tips that are past some number of days and haven't been claimed (where claiming means logging in once since they were sent). Then it would be up to the tipper to ping the recipient again or you could offer a way to reclaim them.

-weex
Great, I'm glad it worked for you and you're welcome.

now what happens if I send a tweet to two people like

hey @maxkeiser and @stacyherbert have some #btctip 100 mBTC

what would happen? does the "#btctip" have to be directly after the @[user]?

You need to put the #btctip directly before @[user]. The ordering of the terms in the tipping command has to be: #btctip @[user] [amount] [unit]. The tipping command can be put any where in the tweet (e.g. beginning, middle, end).

Also, note that you can only tip one person per tweet, so if you include two tipping commands in one tweet, it won't work.
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
Update:

The 'mBTC' bug has been fixed. 'mBTC' is read as millibits now, not bitcoins.

thanks, awesome. thanks for the generous tip, too.

I finally managed to tip someone (stacyherbert).

I think this is a great way to "infect" people.

now what happens if I send a tweet to two people like

hey @maxkeiser and @stacyherbert have some #btctip 100 mBTC

what would happen? does the "#btctip" have to be directly after the @[user]?
Update:

The 'mBTC' bug has been fixed. 'mBTC' is read as millibits now, not bitcoins.

Quote from: molecular
I'm a bit confused. Just saw this:

Quote from: @jonmatonis
@AminCad Thanks! You can also tweet bitcoins to any one with a Twitter account: #btctip @jonmatonis 1 bitcoin @mrtruli

who's tipping who here?

I tipped @jonmatonis, and then he retweeted my tip tweet. He can't tip himself so it's safe to do.

Hmm, I just sent this tweet:

Quote from: @cotta3
#btctip @maxkeiser 2 mBTC hey max, just sent you 2 millibits via twitter, cool, aye?

Nothing shows up under "Activity History". What did I do wrong?

BTCTIP posted:

@cotta3's balance isn't enough to finish transaction.

Do you have any BTC in your btctip account?

In any case, tips have to be at least 1 bitcent (10 millibits), so that wouldn't have worked.

*Edit, sorry, there seems to be a bug in btctip's reading of the "mBTC" variation of the millibit unit. It's reading it as "BTC". Please try using 'millibits' until this is fixed.

donator
Hmm, I just sent this tweet:

Quote from: @cotta3
#btctip @maxkeiser 2 mBTC hey max, just sent you 2 millibits via twitter, cool, aye?

Nothing shows up under "Activity History". What did I do wrong?
donator
I'm a bit confused. Just saw this:

Quote from: @jonmatonis
@AminCad Thanks! You can also tweet bitcoins to any one with a Twitter account: #btctip @jonmatonis 1 bitcoin @mrtruli

who's tipping who here?
legendary
Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050
Added to my reading list.
I'd like to incorporate this service into our "Support This Project" section on our community projects.
Sounds cool.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
Cool  Grin
Unfortunately you can't send a DM to someone unless they follow you.

Luckily the default notification setting for Twitter users is to receive emails when they get mentioned in a tweet so most people should be notified when they get a tip tweet.
legendary
Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014
Thanks, I got it. Will be looking to tip others when appropriate.

Edit: One issue I see is that I had literally no indication that I have been tipped. Twitter sends emails when one gets a direct message so perhaps that is why you would want to use DMs. Otherwise, someone would have to have some sort of alert setup on their account or login regularly and look through all their newest "Interactions".
Some good news. A btctip tweet was retweeted by Matthew Bishop, NY Bureau Chief of The Economist and co-author of Philanthrocapitalism & www.philanthrocapitalism.net, to his 29,017 followers:

https://twitter.com/btctip/status/183252330655911936
UPDATE:

The permissions have been changed so that the application can no longer:

Update your profile.
Post Tweets for you.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Weex, if you give me your Twitter account name, I'd like to send you 1 BTC for finding the permission problem. If you'd prefer to be sent the coin directly just pm me your bitcoin address.
Quote from: HostFat
Can you add something like this?
http://dailybitcoins.org
https://coinad.com

Thanks for your suggestion. If it's more profitable than other options, then quite possibly. I also have to take into account how it affects the site's overall look. An ad for an exchange for example would look more professional than something like this so I might opt for it even if it has a slightly lower cpm.

Activity: 714
Merit: 500
Pages:
Jump to: