Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Electrum - Lightweight Bitcoin Client - page 27. (Read 274534 times)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0
Is there some reason I didn't hear about that all the electrum servers are now showing as "F" - full? I'm not getting any pruning servers listed any more.

It's actually a cosmetic display bug. It happens when you connect to a server that doesn't have an IRC  connection. There is no way for it to determine the actual list of servers available and falls back to the hardcoded list built into the client. The servers hardcoded are all shown as full servers however that's just because the built in list doesn't differentiate between the two types. I tried to fix this once, but the fix was too complicated and we reverted it.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
If you are restoring only Full servers are shown to get your entire txs history
Just using it as normal but today I had to select a different server as mine was down due to me upgrading it. Typically I don't even need to look at the servers list.
Activity: 715
Merit: 500
Bitcoin Venezuela
If you are restoring only Full servers are shown to get your entire txs history
Merit: 1009
firstbits:1MinerQ
Is there some reason I didn't hear about that all the electrum servers are now showing as "F" - full? I'm not getting any pruning servers listed any more.

edit: Seems to have fixed itself as now (a few hours later) some are "P" again. That's odd. Any reason for that?
Activity: 715
Bitcoin Venezuela
Hi VeeMiner, the seed (which you wrote down to the paper) isn't encrypted. So the worst-case scenario is to load the seed to fresh wallet and set some different password.

yeah, I got it working like this, thank you... now Ill send the money that I sent to this wallet out, reinstall the client, get a new wallet, set a seed and some not-as-crazy password that I can actually type Smiley

Edit: another fun question - how do I uninstall electrum from Windows 8? Smiley

or I would like to remove the wallet from the system and create a new one in a clean way...

edit. ok I deleted the .dat file in appdata/local and got it working Smiley

If you set a wrong password or want to change it, all you need to do is delete the electrum.dat (imported addresses' privekey will be gone) ir rename it and Restore from your seed to set a new password for the new electrum.dat
Activity: 752
bitcoin hodler
Hi VeeMiner, the seed (which you wrote down to the paper) isn't encrypted. So the worst-case scenario is to load the seed to fresh wallet and set some different password.

yeah, I got it working like this, thank you... now Ill send the money that I sent to this wallet out, reinstall the client, get a new wallet, set a seed and some not-as-crazy password that I can actually type Smiley

Edit: another fun question - how do I uninstall electrum from Windows 8? Smiley

or I would like to remove the wallet from the system and create a new one in a clean way...

edit. ok I deleted the .dat file in appdata/local and got it working Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1097
Activity: 752
bitcoin hodler
Hey guys.

So I installed the Electrum client and I'm happy with it. However I have one problem - I wrote down the seed and set a password and everything. However the password that I set was a long one and even though I wrote it down and copied it into notepad, it seems like there is some problem. Now when I try to send money from it it tells me the password is invalid. Is there any way to get my money out and create a new wallet with maybe shorter password or something?

Thanks
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
Hi, i was wondering what happens if all the servers go down for good? Would we lose access to our wallets? Would there be any way to transfer funds from our electrum wallets to other wallets at that point?

I guess we should put a FAQ on the website, with this question answered first.
the answer is: you can export your private keys (even if you are offline), and import them in another client.
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
The windows client does not support command line options as far as I know, but Slush can answer that better then I can.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Your keys are easily exportable from the electrum wallet file and thus importable into another wallet system.

The command line way to do it (is there another way?) is

Code:
electrum -w wallet.dat -ak addresses

Why isnt there an option in the windows client to do this?
Merit: 1010
Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas
Your keys are easily exportable from the electrum wallet file and thus importable into another wallet system.

The command line way to do it (is there another way?) is

Code:
electrum -w wallet.dat -ak addresses
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
Hi, i was wondering what happens if all the servers go down for good? Would we lose access to our wallets? Would there be any way to transfer funds from our electrum wallets to other wallets at that point?
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

Which server where you using?  There were problems with electrum.be yesterday.

Does a restart of the Electrum client help?

I tried pretty much all the servers, by clicking the green dot, choosing a new server, then waiting for it to resync.  Each server had the same problem.

After a few restarts and once the confirmations were about 7 the transaction showed up properly.  Note this only seems to occur when the funds are arriving from multiple accounts.
Activity: 349
Merit: 250

Which server where you using?  There were problems with electrum.be yesterday.

Does a restart of the Electrum client help?
legendary
Activity: 349
Merit: 250
Why do some new transactions show up as date "Unknown" and "-1 Confirmations"?

Even though the transaction has a few confirmations.  When I change the sync server it still says with the -1 confirmations, the only way to update it to the correct confirmations is to restart electrum.

Which version are you using?
legendary
Why do some new transactions show up as date "Unknown" and "-1 Confirmations"?

Even though the transaction has a few confirmations.  When I change the sync server it still says with the -1 confirmations, the only way to update it to the correct confirmations is to restart electrum.
legendary
Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353
It is a restored wallet. This would explain previous transactions under asterisk addresses,
oh yes, this would perhaps explain  Grin Grin Grin

however I was under the notion that only change addresses were used to bounce coins around. So I didn't expect there to be previous transactions in anything but change addresses.
hum, so what, coins never touch the main addresses?

What does the asterisk mean?
it means that the address has been used, but the history has been pruned by the server, so the number of transactions is unknown

I always hesitate at 128 bits though. I feel it sounds less secure than 256, even if it's not true. Can you explain why 128 entropy is good here?
standard Bitcoin addresses have an entropy less or equal to 160 bits, (the size of the hash), so going beyond that is completely irrelevant.
128 bits is the standard proposed in BIP32, and it is also used in Armory.

Activity: 30
Merit: 0
I do not think there is a serious reason to use 256 bits of entropy. (you might be confused because of RSA, for which a 128 bits key is too short. we're not talking about the same thing here)

if the addresses you generate have been previously used, it means that you are reusing a wallet that you already generated before, or that there is a serious security issue with Electrum. Switch to a full server and you'll recover your full history, not just the asterisks. if you believe this is the case, can you PM me the master public key?

It is a restored wallet. This would explain previous transactions under asterisk addresses, however I was under the notion that only change addresses were used to bounce coins around. So I didn't expect there to be previous transactions in anything but change addresses.

What does the asterisk mean?

Keep up the good work, I recommend everyone try Electrum. I always hesitate at 128 bits though. I feel it sounds less secure than 256, even if it's not true. Can you explain why 128 entropy is good here?

Thank you
Pages:
Jump to: