Pages:
Author

Topic: [announce] Namecoin - a distributed naming system based on Bitcoin - page 103. (Read 594420 times)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
Has anyone else got this working? There is no namecoind target in the makefile, so i built bitcoind.  My daemon is currently sitting at 0 blocks and doesn't recognize calls such as name_list and name_scan.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
Fails to compile with gcc 4.5.2

Code:
hook.cpp: In function ‘int GetDefaultPort()’:
hook.cpp:116:20: error: new declaration ‘int GetDefaultPort()’
net.h:14:23: error: ambiguates old declaration ‘short unsigned int GetDefaultPort()’

Making the return type consistent between files fixes the error.
administrator
Activity: 5166
Merit: 12850
As I said in the BitDNS discussion, hard-limiting the network-wide number of registrations will fail. If 50 domains are produced per block, then what happens when more than 50 domains are needed per 10 minutes? Prices will become uncompetitive and the system will lose popularity.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Do The Evolution
No, the discussion is to not fragment the network.
Together we stand, divided we fall.

It should be integrated into the Bitcoin clients.

As far as registry it should work like this:
-You always get 50 domains per block.
-Each domain can be changed to any other(boring.bit -> serious.bit) as long as the other isn't occupied.
-It can be updated at any time without needing to mine a block. You may pay a fee for faster processing.
-It may be transfer from an address to another just as Bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1014
How much does it cost to register a name?
legendary
Can't figure out how to get it to use wx 2.9 rather than 2.8.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Am I reading it right that one would have to spend 50NC to register a name, then 50NC every 12,000 to keep it updated? So 50NC every 120,000 minutes?

What is the format of value?

Had to make some changes to get it to compile on FreeBSD, but I think I have it running (though it doesn't appear to be generating yet):

{"result":{"version":32100,"balance":0.00000000,"blocks":0,"connections":3,"proxy":"","generate":true,"genproclimit":-1,"difficulty":1.00000000,"hashespersec":0,"testnet":false,"keypoololdest":1303090416,"paytxfee":0.00000000,"errors":""},"error":null,"id":"curltest"}

I can see it connected to IRC along with several other hosts, but I have blocks=0. Sad
Activity: 294
Merit: 273
Haven't looked at the code, but would it be correct to assume mining grants rights to acquire a DNS entry?
Activity: 23
Merit: 34
So we should start polling people whether or not to reward you with the bounty award?

I would be happy to apply for the bounty award after people have reviewed the design and code.
legendary
So we should start polling people whether or not to reward you with the bounty award?
Activity: 23
Merit: 34
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

Namecoin is a naming system based on bitcoin with a few modifications.  It is inspired by the bitdns discussion and recent failures of the DNS.

The quick facts:

* This is a new blockchain, separate from the main Bitcoin chain
* Name/value pairs are stored in the blockchain attached to coins
* Names are acquired through new transaction types - new, first-update and update
* Names expire after 12000 blocks unless renewed with an update
* No two unexpired names can be identical
* Block validation is extended to reject transactions that do not follow the above rules
* The code is here: https://github.com/vinced/namecoin

Initially, two name spaces are defined - DNS and personal.  The DNS name space is targetted towards a new distributed TLD, possibly .bit.

Here is how you can help:

* Compile and run namecoind.
* Do some mining.  The starting difficulty is 512, so CPU mining is still viable.
* We need proxies, browser plugins and DNS servers created to act as a bridge between Namecoin and users.

!Vince
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)

iQEcBAEBCgAGBQJNqyz4AAoJEJz+siqjwOQOnU0IAKKIZk13qKFaXkVH0JSDkyov
AQNaYpML/017DrLBI+xsQLp88CpRQx10e/JUoqLV1UbJ+uB3hBtAUi05O03/U0wE
Q4tQbLOhnWt+ZcYYPXL1pf6fIo7clBV47ncuBLWWnRCkjLIF2kj9rs5muFFxgN4G
K6gq79xZFxwg2b2gGWaM5ZHlC513AQW68o+YpebofGyRM2yQHBrWCb0g/PC8bjsX
n33Xe4Ch0fj+3Apfc2Yv71+P6DLZU8oxL9xo8/FbG856wHdr2LEoh7Io4PiDIiYU
Y81MxvlpGDYKLomSsiI3w5stMyIVYEV6RNt4BVBND0x2n2XKFB8c2SmCHahnnkU=
=px0m
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Pages: