Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANNOUNCE] Tenebrix, a CPU-friendly, GPU-hostile cryptocurrency - page 35. (Read 127211 times)

Activity: 112
Merit: 11
Hillariously voracious

I think you should try, it will be an interesting project irrespective of eventual performance outcome.

Well I don't own a PS3 but I think Art Fortz would have some ideas.

Indeed, certainly do ask him.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

I think you should try, it will be an interesting project irrespective of eventual performance outcome.

Well I don't own a PS3 but I think Art Fortz would have some ideas.

I found this thread as well by Hebination:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/ps3-bitcoin-cellminer-guide-and-files-included-26281
Hillariously voracious
How much would be "not" too ridiculous ?

I think having any premined coins is ridiculous. You make the rules for the currency, you should play by them just like anybody else.

Okay,  that is a respectably consistent, if restrictive, opinion.

However, do you at least admit that at least theoretically  while, of course, premining can be abused, it enables one to do very nice things for the project as a whole, like for instance pay programmers (at least after the coin starts exchanging), set up a faucet that doesn't run dry for a loooong time, run a fanciful "give old cryptothingies and a small fee, receive fresh coins cryptothingies " service Cheesy ?

Would it be possible to get this running on the cell broadband engine?

Maybe we could start by modding:

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/06/cellminer-bitcoin-miner-for-the-cell-broadband-engine-architecture/

It should be possible to get it scrypt crunching, but it is off course impossible to tell how good a scrypt cruncher will it be.

Would it be possible to get this running on the cell broadband engine?

Maybe we could start by modding:

http://www.ps3hax.net/2011/06/cellminer-bitcoin-miner-for-the-cell-broadband-engine-architecture/
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
How much would be "not" too ridiculous ?

I think having any premined coins is ridiculous. You make the rules for the currency, you should play by them just like anybody else.
Activity: 616
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
I was going to PM lolcust about this but I might well ask publicly now that the issue of the pre-coins has come up.

I run a wiki about human rejuvenation at http://www.rejuvepedia.org and I am hoping to secure some donations.

One of the Rejuvepedia spin-off projects called "Project In-Utero" will soon have a website and forum (hosted at www.in-utero.org) that will hopefully sprawn a collaborative online community around
the idea that we can completely rejuvenate a human body over 9 months by using a tissue engineered and wetware controlled placenta and uterus. The person being rejuvenated will
effectively be spending 9 months back in the womb and when they come out will still be an adult but have younger looking skin than a teenager as their body will be completely rejuvenated.

The placenta will feed the person with stem cells and effectively the person will be in a state of anaerobic respiration. I have a theory that there is something very special about anaerobic respiration that makes cells
proliferate as they don't need to repair oxidative damage.

Of course this will be tested on mice (and other mammals) long before we start to proceed to work out how we could ethically proceed to do this with humans.

I want to put forward some bounties to develop the art-work or animations showing this happening to help inspire people and capture their imaginations. I am hoping to secure some coins towards these bounties but I will contribute to them myself as well.

Lolcust: could you possibly contribute some Tenebrix to this project?

I have to get ready for work now but my contract is ending in a few days time so I will have a lot more time to work on this then.

I know next to nothing about biology, but I might contribute.

That whole i'll build a bigass womb and unbirth your ass so you can get younger by cutting the oxygen to your brain thing doesn't sound all that scientific...i would hold my money till it undergoes the peer review process and stuff.
Activity: 406
Merit: 257
Yep, it's still very unoptimized.
Just compiling scrypt.c in cpuminer with -O3 on amd64 linux ends up at 3.28kH/s/core on a AthlonII @ 3.6GHz.
Hillariously voracious
Do bear in mind that current CPU miner for Tenebrix does not employ a whole bunch of clever tricks and is not optimized for 64-bit architectures.

So in the future, slightly more khashes could be squeezed out of ye olde cpus.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0

Nice walkthrough. Downloading the zip from github (clearly I'm not a linux person) I couldn't get it to compile, so I followed your steps and used the git app. I think the client compiled, but when I try to run it I get this:
Code:
x@x:~/Downloads/Tenebrix$ ./bitcoin-qt
bitcoin-qt: src/main.cpp:1754: bool LoadBlockIndex(bool): Assertion `block.hashMerkleRoot == uint256("0x4e77ffdc1baa20ffffab9d901f418f7496b2a710e462ac4047accdb8b3b774f9")' failed.
Aborted
Anyone know what's up? The Windows binary runs great on Vista & 7, but I'm curious as to what my ailing netbook running Ubuntu can do.

did you copy the config to file?

Code:
$ cat README.rst 
Tenebrix - a cryptocurrency with solid stance in favor of CPU and against GPU
PoW based on scrypt

Based on multicoin-QT

ATTENTION!!!
[b]DON'T FORGET TO PLACE tenebrix.conf into your[/b] [s]APPDATA or default tenebrix folder (%APPDATA%\tenebrix on Win,[/s] [b]~/.tenebrix/ on Unixes[/b])
Probably not Wink

now you really owe me a 25 tbrix Smiley
D'oh, now I feel stupid. Sure enough, that was it. Send along your receiving address. Smiley

Trying to install the linux miner didn't work so well. I got stuck with the same thing Bobnova posted a few pages back, and installing a libcurl4-dev pack (the first listed) didn't help as suggested by ArtForz. So, I downloaded wine and the windows miner and that worked just fine first try. Not ideal, but eh, it works.

So now I'm getting ~1.83 khash/s on my Phenom X4 955 (OC'd to 3.8GHz, stock clocks it gets 1.55 khash/s; three threads only since the fourth core is mining), 0.4 khash/s on an old 2GHz C2D laptop (two threads) and a whopping 0.32 khash/s (one thread) on my Ubuntu-running 1.6GHz Atom netbook. I'm actually pretty impressed, 0.32 seems good for a first-gen Atom compared to that C2D...
Hillariously voracious
the large amount of premined coins means there's less inflation
the owners of the coins are the people who actually participate in development and spreading of the project, paid by bounties

Basically, that's exactly like DeBeers - they do indeed control a large piece of (until not so long ago, pretty much all) diamond market, but they actually use it to ensure that the market is viable and the diamonds are expensive.

Selling off when you have a VERY large chunk is just plain stupid.

But I actually like the Faucet idea... Yes, I will be less phat and my laundry project will have to scale down quite some, but hey, on the other hand people like them coin faucets and them faucets solve the whole "first adopter" complaint by quite a lot.

And 1.5 mil will keep the faucet dripping for a looong time.

Anyone who mines this without understanding how FPGA miners could be made to emulate CPUs is a moron. This currency was designed by Artforz for Artforz. Plus 3 years worth of mining pre-mined? Ridiculous....

So, you propose using a $700+ chunk of hardware to emulate (which necessitates losses) a $100+ chunk of hardware ? Sorry, but would you like to buy my bridge ?

I accept BTC, GEG, SC-1, NMC, i0, ix, TBX, USD LR and pecunix as viable forms of bridge payment.

As for 3 years worth of coins, less now since I have pledged 1.5 mil to the TBX Faucet project.
Activity: 523
Sorry to say but Tenebrix is a worst case marketing name.
Not only impossible to remember if you hear it once but such a name also gives a negative loop on the word of mouth effect.

So if you are serious about your business you need to treat the naming of the coin serious.

Other than that good luck!

donator
Activity: 1419
Merit: 1015
Anyone who mines this without understanding how FPGA miners could be made to emulate CPUs is a moron. This currency was designed by Artforz for Artforz. Plus 3 years worth of mining pre-mined? Ridiculous....
Activity: 658
the large amount of premined coins means there's less inflation
the owners of the coins are the people who actually participate in development and spreading of the project, paid by bounties
Hillariously voracious
Actually TBX is the only currency that can be "officially" mined parallel to the BTC-GPU-Mining.
Because it is very CPU-friendly.

But the premined - up to 3 years > 50 % - Big-7-Amount let the miners go elsewhere, because the mining success is mini and the rating should be very little.

This forces to go to an alternative CPU-friend.

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ? We could, you know, arrange for a publicly monitored Tenebrix faucet (ala bitcoin faucet) and I could donate the "extra" part to it, leaving myself with the not too ridiculous part for bounties and stuffs (my humble TBX laundry side project would likely die then, alas   Cry )

Incidentally, this would allow latecomers to get some TBX to get a feel for them.

I wonder if  the Bitcoinfaucet code is open...

P.S.:

A faucet with 1-2 million TBX milking out 2-4 units per a Google account login could keep trucking for looooooong...
I could create a basic faucet with Google authorization in a matter of hours, provided you get your daemon up and running properly.

Okay, could you also throw some fancy pattern-based captcha on top of it to discourage the new High-perfomance OCR bots, just in case there is a herder with large amount of IPs/GoogleAccs ?

If yes, then deal is done, and as soon as the linux daemon stops being a pissy bitch, we shall launch the faucet.

Would everyone gathered herein consider a donation of 1.5 mils to the faucet sufficient to consider the issue closed ?

Activity: 560
Merit: 501
Actually TBX is the only currency that can be "officially" mined parallel to the BTC-GPU-Mining.

But the premined - up to 3 years > 50 % - Big-7-Amount let the miners go elsewhere, because the mining success is mini and the rating should be very little.

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ? We could, you know, arrange for a publicly monitored Tenebrix faucet (ala bitcoin faucet) and I could donate the "extra" part to it, leaving myself with the not too ridiculous part for bounties and stuffs (my humble TBX laundry side project would likely die then, alas   Cry )

Incidentally, this would allow latecomers to get some TBX to get a feel for them.

I wonder if  the Bitcoinfaucet code is open...

P.S.:

A faucet with 1-2 million TBX milking out 2-4 units per a Google account login could keep trucking for looooooong...
I could create a basic faucet with Google authorization in a matter of hours, provided you get your daemon up and running properly.
Hillariously voracious

How much would be "not" too ridiculous ? We could, you know, arrange for a publicly monitored Tenebrix faucet (ala bitcoin faucet) and I could donate the "extra" part to it, leaving myself with the not too ridiculous part for bounties and stuffs (my humble TBX laundry side project would likely die then, alas   Cry )

I wonder if  the Bitcoinfaucet code is open...

P.S.:

Activity: 309
Merit: 250

Hillariously voracious
=
Thanks lolcust. I will probably have some time to start on the website tonight at work as my job is a call center with quiet periods late at night.

Do you know the current Tenebrix difficulty?

"difficulty" : 0.01562500,

Which means I really need to work harder on crafting together a pool-friendly *nix daemon for Tenebrix, lol.

No way!? That low and it's starting to get really difficult to mine coins.

Not too difficult, but earlier pools is better.

I personally think it was a huge mistake to mine so many coins for yourself. By that you made the coins less valuable to all of us, including yourself.  

Like I said in the #Tenebrix channel, that could only be true if Strong Efficient Market Hypothesis held true for coin-trading, which is simply not true (otherwise, speculators should  not have even entered the Bitcoin trading due to apparent presence of large stashes of "unmoving bitcoins" with unknown number of owners, which pose a pretty much unpredictable risk)

Valuation has nothing to do with "cryptocoins in existence", only with "cryptocoins actually participating in economic activities" (and how much of superfund went where and when is absurdly trivial to check for anyone with as much as 10 seconds of free time, as soon as block explorer comes alive)

t0brix anyone ? Smiley

When I finish making the Tenebrix daemon needed for exchange and pool to take off, I might even make a Ten0brix (I like ten0brix more than t0brix, TBH) myself so that people believing in SEMH may have a fun day.

Assuming Solidcoin 2.0 actually has a good PoW and will go really opensource with it, I might also bother to make a Flaccidcoin 0-2 (that is, solidcoin with "ever-expanding amount of sovereign bonds" protecshun racket scheme expunged ), for sheer fun of it.

If it takes three years to generate coins to make up for the first bounty block, then yes, it's too ridiculous.

Oh, how ridiculous is too ridiculous is an endless argument, that's why I gave up on trying to come up with a different number. Would 4 mils be better ? By what kind of logic, assuming I never sell off the majority of it (trivial to check) ?
Also, the difficulty looks funny because the PoW-system uses a different algorithm altogether. Such a small looking difficulty change is meaningful when your CPU can only push 2 khashes per second at best.

Well, yes, but there be a lot of folks mining already, and we're still somewhat in the "too fast" dept.

Worry not tho, a pool is incoming.
Activity: 352
Merit: 250
Firstbits: 1m8xa
If it takes three years to generate coins to make up for the first bounty block, then yes, it's too ridiculous.

Also, the difficulty looks funny because the PoW-system uses a different algorithm altogether. Such a small looking difficulty change is meaningful when your CPU can only push 2 khashes per second at best.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
Quality Printing Services by Federal Reserve Bank
Thanks lolcust. I will probably have some time to start on the website tonight at work as my job is a call center with quiet periods late at night.

Do you know the current Tenebrix difficulty?

"difficulty" : 0.01562500,

Which means I really need to work harder on crafting together a pool-friendly *nix daemon for Tenebrix, lol.

No way!? That low and it's starting to get really difficult to mine coins.
You have 7.7 mill of those coins so they have to be at really low value. 0.00001 btc a pop and stay at that level until you have distributed 99.990 % of those 7.7 mill. In this case a average CPU must be able to produce thousands of coins per day to make it worth the effort.

I personally think it was a huge mistake to mine so many coins for yourself. By that you made the coins less valuable to all of us, including yourself. 
t0brix anyone ? Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: