Author

Topic: [ANN][SLR] SolarCoin | PoW to PoS v. 2.0 | Solar Proof of Generation (§1 = 1MWh) - page 203. (Read 466799 times)

Activity: 224
Merit: 150
solcrypto.com
I have a i7 intel 7 core cpu 3.5ghz  and i am showing 30% cpu usage

My power Mac 12 core (Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors) is showing varying rates between 2-55% CPU usage running a Windows 7 wallet inside parallels depending on the staking cycle.

Does anyone else have experience building dedicated hardware for PoS, or a forum link? I also need to run it on DC 6-8W (I know this is hard but I think possible.)
-lfloorwalker
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1001
I have a i7 intel 7 core cpu 3.5ghz  and i am showing 30% cpu usage
Activity: 337
Merit: 258
Regarding CPU usage, I've just moved my wallet to an old Intel Core Duo 1.86 GHz laptop and I'm seeing the following pattern: between 60 - 80 % CPU utilisation for approx 20 seconds, 100% CPU utilisation for approx 10 seconds, repeat cycle. I should add, that this is on a Windows 7 32 bit OS. Memory usage is a constant 730 MB from 1 GB.

During the 100% CPU utilization stage the GUI becomes unresponsive.
Activity: 365
Merit: 250
Making things better with better things.
hi all,
I am just wondering ....
"SolarCoin move to POST ...Minimize carbon footprint".
How do we know that ? This is not the 1st time i am reading this assumption .
Do we have some math ?
how many miners versus users wallet opened behind a PC ?

Thanks

Hi User fred,

.. "There is a marginal energy drain on CPU's but it is a function that is not-related to the value of the network."

Nick
Thanks nick for this long answer
100% to 125 % of my CPU is not marginal at all,  i am not alone in this case . That's why i am asking this question.

Fred,

thanks for lettting me know about your CPU usage.

we are looking into that as typical vericoin CPU usage is 2-4% background utilization.
100% isn't in line with our expectations.  We are prioritizing diagnoses and solutions to interest rate issue followed by block chain fix and then code performance fixes. 

thus our triage priorities are

1. Monetary base and wallet integrity.
2. block-chain explorer for transparency into monetary base
3. Optimal network and wallet performance for end users and carbon footprint

Nick
legendary
Finally got some decent interest  Grin Grin Thanks PoST
Activity: 337
Merit: 258
Should the amount you are staking display as Staking in the Balance column of the Overview tab of your wallet? Mine has been running for just under a day and while it says it's staking on the bottom right the lack of any amount showing in this field makes me question whether it actually is.

If it is actually staking, when does the Staking amount field get updated?
legendary
Does anyone understand the nodes? My dad has 14 connection to the solarcoins network and the most i can ever get is 7.

Does this have any effect on staking?

TIA.
legendary
Coin supply is going to get very tight. Until we get to 1 block a minute. I have been staking  100k coins in a test wallet and i have only earned 2 solarcoins in 24 hours.

I could of instead paid under 2 cents and bought 2 coins instead of running my computer for 24 hours using electricity (about .20 cents worth)

Soon the price will have to come around
legendary
Activity: 987
Merit: 1003
Is there any chance that a weak sempron cpu can harm your chances of finding a block? So far I have only got .255 of a SLR after almost 24 hours of staking with a hefty amount of coins.

There may be something to CPU power since I have a 6 Core 980X 3.2GHz and I just got a 5.47 reward on 70,000 coin after 16 hours of staking. I also sent a test transaction of 9.8 SLR for the first transaction in my wallet and no coins were reserved while staking for 16 hours. This 5.47 may have been based on that first transaction and this would explain how long it took since I have less chances to hit on 9.8 SLR?

Now after I found the reward it reserved my second transaction of 59,992.12315767 plus the 5.47526756 reward. The exact amount staking is 59,997.59842523 there is no doubt the reward is included as the math is exact and the transaction 59,992.12315767 and stake reward 5.47526756 equal the amount staking reserved coin. The 5.47526756 only has 11 confirmations out of 510 but my total unconfirmed coin is reporting as 0.0000000. If I release my staked coins I could probably spend the 5.47526756 reward. I won't disable staking right now to get my reserved coins since I want to see what happens naturally on the next reward to my staked coin being the first reserved for my wallet. Essentially I am staking a reward that I don't have yet according to my confirmations and I can spend my other 10,093.5611. If Bittrex were open right now I would actually send that total in as a test since there shouldn't be the extra 5.47 coins available after I release the staked coins. It should be confirming for 510 blocks.

So I have 510 blocks to test this possible glitch out. And I will eventually release the staked coins and spend the 5.47 reward before the 510 confirmations to test. And my first coin reward is about 1,000 times smaller than the other one so my next one should be much bigger too since the second reward doubled my coin on the first rollout.

Can anyone else confirm these findings?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
The "Earnable matured interest" in the pop-up box next to the Staking circle is actually the Time-active fraction with range of 0 to 1 (0% to 100%)
Please see pages 6 and 7 of the link below:
http://www.vericoin.info/downloads/VeriCoinPoSTWhitePaper10May2015.pdf

It is a confusing label carried over from VeriCoin.
An attempt will be to display the interest rate if it does not consume to much CPU power.
If not, the confusing label "Earnable matured interest" will be removed.

Activity: 406
It seems to me one of the unrecognized benefits of this new wallet is the ability to tweak and adjust the algorithm as we go without really having to go through such a major fork again. It's just a matter of upgrading from within the wallet itself. Took a while for that to really sink in. That's kinda awesome. Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Solarcoin.org
Is there any chance that a weak sempron cpu can harm your chances of finding a block? So far I have only got .255 of a SLR after almost 24 hours of staking with a hefty amount of coins.

You can go days and sometimes weeks without finding a block. The more participants on the network, the greater the chances of anyone generating a block. It's really just a numbers game.
So the power of the CPU is completely irrelevant?

More or less. I ran the ARCH wallet on an Asus netbook with an Intel Atom n270 CPU, still found blocks. I found one block already with Solarcoin on the same netbook computer. Smiley But after nearly 24 hours and 33 blocks found, the network doesn't have enough participants yet to really get the ball rolling. I have to repeat though, sometimes it can take days to find a block. Other times you'll get a few in one day.
Activity: 300
BTW Guys, same as last year, with Christmas around the corner, if anyone is interested in purchasing Luxury Natural Soy Wax Candles from Candlelit Day, we DO accept SolarCoin Smiley

You can go days and sometimes weeks without finding a block. The more participants on the network, the greater the chances of anyone generating a block. It's really just a numbers game.
So the power of the CPU is completely irrelevant?
legendary
Solarcoin.org

legendary
Solarcoin.org
Any way i could slow down the wallet so i still earn interest but less cpu usage?

This part could be fixed. It does seem a bit cpu hungry.
legendary
Solarcoin.org
Everything is working just fine. Besides blocks being super slow. Myself and family and friends are going to stick with PoST.

My question is why does the staking go from 0% all the way up to 99% and then back down without earning interest.

Also i have about 5 earn interest transaction and about 9 that where not accepted Sad

That's how staking works. Those percentages are a representation of your chances of generating a block with your network weight taken into consideration. Though post is a little different. My experience with staking other coins shows this behavior as completely normal. Some will not be accepted, which is also normal.

It's counter intuitive. Often you'll notice that your wallet will display now as the time it will generate a block, which means your wallet is ready to generate one, but you still have to consider coin age, and whatever else post-staking takes into account while running through its algo.

This wallet staking behaves like every other staking coin I've worked with.
legendary
no new blocks for 25 minutes

So I restarted my wallet and then I generate the next block a minute after restart. Coincidence?
Activity: 523
Something is not clear right now.

Is there some programmers or coders in solar foundation ??

I am some worried about the security of blockchain of solarcoin.
Jump to: