Pages:
Author

Topic: [ANN][XOM] Pre-Release|Coin and P2P Marketplace|Anon|Escrows|Reputation|and More - page 3. (Read 28389 times)

legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
Its just a shitcoin copyclone of bitshares.. I doubt this is the ltc of bts...

Where is the github link? Funny you clone bitshares but not even provide your link in the op...

Doesnt seem like you get it about social consensus... You should read up a bit instead of being greedy...

So you will secretly keep copying bitshares stuff including the voting stuff which is a work in progress and hold it privatly yet you want money upfront from investors? Rolf

Why dont u just create a dac inside of bts and plan around turing complete scripts for trustless auctions/buy it now marketplaces? Oh wait social consensus again doh!
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
Only allowing wealthy investors fund your project, -8 points.

This is a matter of compliance with securities law. The way we are offering our Private Placement REQUIRES that we accept investments only from "Accredited Investors". People who are not wealthy, but like what we are doing, can contribute on IndieGoGo, and get coins as perks.

Kickstarter such that normal people get NO equity in your business, -7 points.

Again, this is a matter of compliance with both US securities law and the rules of IndieGoGo. Normal people may at some point be able to invest via our offering at AngelList (https://angel.co/omnibazaar-inc), at such time as we have a lead investor who is willing to form what they call a "syndication".

Forking BitShares code without mentioning BitShares explicitly even once, -8 points.

[shrug] Where would you suggest I mention it? The IndieGoGo campaign is already too technical for most people who see it. It has already come up in this thread, and is completely out in the open. Does it really matter that much which coin we used as the base for OmniCoin? Every coin out there (except Bitcoin) is based on some other coin. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." We think BTSX is great. We're not hiding that, or any of the great features.

Not honoring the BitShares consensus of 10/10 to PTS/AGS holders, -6 points.

See my response to "biophil" above.

Screen shots that look horribly designed, -7 points.

If you would like to help make it better, we could probably arrange to let you help. If you would like to express some specific constructive suggestions, PM me. I will be glad to hear what you have to say. But "look horribly designed" is not particularly helpful or constructive.

Best,
Rick

[SHRUG]  I'd say you have miscalculated but,
[SHRUG] time will tell............
copper member
Activity: 72
Merit: 0
OmniBazaar -- eBay for the "un-banked" billions

This is a matter of compliance with securities law. The way we are offering our Private Placement REQUIRES that we accept investments only from "Accredited Investors". People who are not wealthy, but like what we are doing, can contribute on IndieGoGo, and get coins as perks.

Again, this is a matter of compliance with both US securities law and the rules of IndieGoGo. Normal people may at some point be able to invest via our offering at AngelList (https://angel.co/omnibazaar-inc), at such time as we have a lead investor who is willing to form what they call a "syndication".

Forking BitShares code without mentioning BitShares explicitly even once, -8 points.

[shrug] Where would you suggest I mention it? The IndieGoGo campaign is already too technical for most people who see it. It has already come up in this thread, and is completely out in the open. Does it really matter that much which coin we used as the base for OmniCoin? Every coin out there (except Bitcoin) is based on some other coin. "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery." We think BTSX is great. We're not hiding that, or any of the great features.

See my response to "biophil" above.

If you would like to help make it better, we could probably arrange to let you help. If you would like to express some specific constructive suggestions, PM me. I will be glad to hear what you have to say. But "look horribly designed" is not particularly helpful or constructive.

Best,
Rick
[/quote]
copper member
Honor AGS and PTS,or BTS?

Huh

Yes. It's no secret that we are copying BTSX. (References to DPoS and TITAN are a dead give-away to anyone who knows BTSX.) But, we are also adding a few important features. Of course, OmniCoin will be open-source. So BTSX will be able to benefit from our work, just as we are benefitting from theirs.

Best,
Rick

Rick,

I'm sure you know that's not how it works. If you don't give 10% of your coins to AGS and 10% to PTS or BTS, you'll incur the wrath and repudiation of the BitShares community. You can try to hide behind your idea that "BTSX will be able to benefit from our work"; but I guarantee you that no AGS donator will see it that way.

What you're doing is this: you're looking out at the pool of people who "get" crypto, and you're singling out a particular group (AGS donators) who really really get crypto and you're saying "we don't want you to be a part of this community. Everybody else, come and get it! But we're going to ensure that you AGS donators never have anything to do with our project."

If that sounds like a smart move, go for it - but know that you will certainly alienate one of your biggest potential client bases.

Well, I see I struck a nerve here...

First, I want to assure you that I would rather have your support than your animosity. I'm not trying to antagonize anyone here.

But, when I go to GitHub and look at the license file for the Bitshares project, here is what I see:

This is free and unencumbered software released into the public domain.

Anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or distribute this software, either in source code form or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any means.

In jurisdictions that recognize copyright laws, the author or authors of this software dedicate any and all copyright interest in the software to the public domain. We make this dedication for the benefit of the public at large and to the detriment of our heirs and successors. We intend this dedication to be an overt act of relinquishment in perpetuity of all present and future rights to this software under copyright law.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

For more information, please refer to http://unlicense.org/

Now, I understand that the license is different from the Social Contract you are writing about. And if I were interested in creating an asset or a DAC under BTSX, and I needed technical help from Dan and the core developers, I would probably agree to that Social Contract. But, I'm not asking for any help, and I am adding new features to the code base.

It seems to me that 20% is a pretty steep price to pay for the approval of BTS and AGS investors -- especially when that approval is not accompanied by any financial support. I'm offering up to 20% of the company to investors in exchange for financial support that will help me get this project completed, launched and widely promoted. No offense, but I just can't see giving up another 20% just to make BTS and AGS investors feel good about me. I completely understand that, as a BTS/AGS investor, you want me to do what is in your financial best interest. But, if you were in my position, you would likely feel as I do.

I've been around these forums long enough to understand one thing: Even if I were Satoshi himself (which, of course, I am not), and I were promoting the greatest new idea since the release of Bitcoin itself, I would still have critics, nay-sayers and detractors.

Again, I would prefer to have your support. But, if I can't, I'm still going to build the coin and the marketplace.

I personally think the world needs it.

Best,
Rick
copper member

There is probably not a completely reliable way to prevent this type of Sybil "attack", but there are several possible ways to make it more difficult. If I recall correctly, for example, I think Stellar tracks IP addresses, and limits the number of accounts that a "family" at one address can create. I think they also restrict creating new accounts through TOR (which makes sense).

We have not settled yet on exactly how to handle this issue, and would be glad to get community input on this. Anyone have any bright ideas they would like to share?

Good question. Thanks.

Rick

Here is one idea https://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2620.msg8259#msg8259

Thanks. That was helpful

I appreciate the input.

Rick
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Huh

Yes. It's no secret that we are copying BTSX. (References to DPoS and TITAN are a dead give-away to anyone who knows BTSX.) But, we are also adding a few important features. Of course, OmniCoin will be open-source. So BTSX will be able to benefit from our work, just as we are benefitting from theirs.

Best,
Rick

Rick,

I'm sure you know that's not how it works. If you don't give 10% of your coins to AGS and 10% to PTS or BTS, you'll incur the wrath and repudiation of the BitShares community. You can try to hide behind your idea that "BTSX will be able to benefit from our work"; but I guarantee you that no AGS donator will see it that way.

What you're doing is this: you're looking out at the pool of people who "get" crypto, and you're singling out a particular group (AGS donators) who really really get crypto and you're saying "we don't want you to be a part of this community. Everybody else, come and get it! But we're going to ensure that you AGS donators never have anything to do with our project."

If that sounds like a smart move, go for it - but know that you will certainly alienate one of your biggest potential client bases.

+5%
Activity: 22

Right on !!! I really don't get why they chose to do it this way. Good luck with that but no thanks. I will never support this in any way for the reason mentioned above.
Activity: 203
BTS: merockstar420

ah CLains, couldn't have said it better myself.

I will actively discourage anybody I ever talk to about the project for the above reasons.
Activity: 363
Merit: 250
as an AGS investor - i will never support your project.

taking our sourcecode is fine, but you should read the license agreements.

Activity: 150
as an AGS investor - i will never support your project.

taking our sourcecode is fine, but you should read the license agreements.

but maybe we can recycle some good ideas for our self.
Activity: 256

Activity: 289
If you're forking BitShares, I don't know why you don't simply use BitUSD and other assets which provide stability for the end user instead of just getting a new coin, just because.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1050
"OmniBazaar -- Removing Middlemen and Bankers from E-commerce"
... and replacing them by an unknown newbie...  Grin
Activity: 66
Merit: 10

Huh

Best,
Rick

Rick,

Activity: 58
Merit: 3

There is probably not a completely reliable way to prevent this type of Sybil "attack", but there are several possible ways to make it more difficult. If I recall correctly, for example, I think Stellar tracks IP addresses, and limits the number of accounts that a "family" at one address can create. I think they also restrict creating new accounts through TOR (which makes sense).

We have not settled yet on exactly how to handle this issue, and would be glad to get community input on this. Anyone have any bright ideas they would like to share?

Good question. Thanks.

Rick

Here is one idea https://forum.nemcoin.com/index.php?topic=2620.msg8259#msg8259
copper member
20B is creazy. investors can not earn money when it over 2sat .id better pass it.

No. The number of coins in circulation will be completely determined by how many people join and use  the OmniBazaar marketplace
We will give only a small (relative to the eventual 20 billion) number of coins to each person who joins OmniBazaar, and an even
smaller number of coins for referring a friend. We will distribute half the coins in this manner over, over the span of as many
months or years as it takes to distribute them all. We will distribute the other 10 billion coins as "reverse transaction fees" when
users conduct transactions with each other in the marketplace. In other words, during the initial distribution period, we will
essentially pay users a small OmniCoin bonus to buy or sell something in the marketplace.

We haven't finalized the numbers yet, but let's say we give 1,000 OmniCoins to each new user who joins OmniBazaar. This
represents one twenty-millionth (1/20,000,000) of the total eventual coin supply. That would be a much slower emission rate
than most other coins have. We could give 10,000 coins to each new user and still have a slow emission rate. We think this is
infinitely more rational and fair than most other recently introduced cryptocurrencies (especially the ones that generate all the
coins in just a few weeks to enrich the developers and their friends). And we believe this distribution plan will add liquidity at
the rate that is needed by the marketplace. As more people join, more OmniCoins will come into circulation. Similarly, we
estimate that users will do hundreds of millions of transactions in the marketplace before the "reverse transaction fee" pool of
coins is completely distributed.

20 Billion is a big number, but we plan to spread that over a large number of people over a considerable amount of time.

what does prevent "users" from creating multiple accounts to get more coins? One person can "join" many times..

Good question. Thanks.

Rick
Activity: 249
20B is creazy. investors can not earn money when it over 2sat .id better pass it.

No. The number of coins in circulation will be completely determined by how many people join and use  the OmniBazaar marketplace
We will give only a small (relative to the eventual 20 billion) number of coins to each person who joins OmniBazaar, and an even
smaller number of coins for referring a friend. We will distribute half the coins in this manner over, over the span of as many
months or years as it takes to distribute them all. We will distribute the other 10 billion coins as "reverse transaction fees" when
users conduct transactions with each other in the marketplace. In other words, during the initial distribution period, we will
essentially pay users a small OmniCoin bonus to buy or sell something in the marketplace.

We haven't finalized the numbers yet, but let's say we give 1,000 OmniCoins to each new user who joins OmniBazaar. This
represents one twenty-millionth (1/20,000,000) of the total eventual coin supply. That would be a much slower emission rate
than most other coins have. We could give 10,000 coins to each new user and still have a slow emission rate. We think this is
infinitely more rational and fair than most other recently introduced cryptocurrencies (especially the ones that generate all the
coins in just a few weeks to enrich the developers and their friends). And we believe this distribution plan will add liquidity at
the rate that is needed by the marketplace. As more people join, more OmniCoins will come into circulation. Similarly, we
estimate that users will do hundreds of millions of transactions in the marketplace before the "reverse transaction fee" pool of
coins is completely distributed.

20 Billion is a big number, but we plan to spread that over a large number of people over a considerable amount of time.

what does prevent "users" from creating multiple accounts to get more coins? One person can "join" many times..
copper member
Can you speak to the reputation system you are envisioning for this marketplace ? One of the things which made eBay a huge success is the reputation system, the feedback made public about transactions.

Really don't see the need for a new coin though. If the transactions are direct, without middlemen, the transactors (buyers and sellers) could decide which currency or coin to use.

We are building a reputation/rating system into OmniCoin itself, not just the OmniBazaar marketplace. We believe that for any reputation system to be reliable, and not able to be hacked and tampered with, the reputation information must be part of the consensus of the blockchain.

This is part of the reason for developing a new coin. If we provide enough useful features (like reputation and easy escrow) in the coin, and make it extremely easy to use in the marketplace, we believe it will become the coin of choice.

Two users could, as you point out, use any coin they might agree on (or even fiat). But, they would either need to know and trust each other, or figure out some other method to escrow the funds for the purchase. We intend to use the combination of OmniCoin features and OmniBazaar features to make buying and selling "frictionless".

Do you envision a marking system similar to bitmark ?

From a quick look, I don't see very much similarity to  Bitmark. The page I saw didn't mention a marketing system. If you can fill me in a bit on what the marketing system is, I would be glad to make a comparison.

EDIT: I justs noticed that you said "marking", not "marketing". But, I'm not familiar with their "marking" system either. Care to give me the ELI5 version?

Best,
Rick

I'm not the one to best explain the details of marking, since I'm only learning about it myself. So I can't give the easy "Explain Like I'm 5" (ELI5) version just yet ! My understanding is that you transfer coins to a person or identity with an attached reason for doing so. Example: "transfer 100 marks to John for successful transaction" or "for answering question" etc.

I think I see what you are talking about, and the answer is yes. It is very easy for the sender to include in the transaction a message describing the purpose of the transaction, but this message will be visible only to the receiver. And the receiver of the transaction is anonymous to everyone but the sender. And, you can give people a simple name, like "Jane_Smith", as your receiving address (instead of an ugly string of numbers and letters).

I hope that helps.

Best,
Rick

Activity: 486
Merit: 104
Can you speak to the reputation system you are envisioning for this marketplace ? One of the things which made eBay a huge success is the reputation system, the feedback made public about transactions.

Really don't see the need for a new coin though. If the transactions are direct, without middlemen, the transactors (buyers and sellers) could decide which currency or coin to use.

We are building a reputation/rating system into OmniCoin itself, not just the OmniBazaar marketplace. We believe that for any reputation system to be reliable, and not able to be hacked and tampered with, the reputation information must be part of the consensus of the blockchain.

This is part of the reason for developing a new coin. If we provide enough useful features (like reputation and easy escrow) in the coin, and make it extremely easy to use in the marketplace, we believe it will become the coin of choice.

Two users could, as you point out, use any coin they might agree on (or even fiat). But, they would either need to know and trust each other, or figure out some other method to escrow the funds for the purchase. We intend to use the combination of OmniCoin features and OmniBazaar features to make buying and selling "frictionless".

Do you envision a marking system similar to bitmark ?

From a quick look, I don't see very much similarity to  Bitmark. The page I saw didn't mention a marketing system. If you can fill me in a bit on what the marketing system is, I would be glad to make a comparison.

EDIT: I justs noticed that you said "marking", not "marketing". But, I'm not familiar with their "marking" system either. Care to give me the ELI5 version?

Best,
Rick

I'm not the one to best explain the details of marking, since I'm only learning about it myself. So I can't give the easy "Explain Like I'm 5" (ELI5) version just yet ! My understanding is that you transfer coins to a person or identity with an attached reason for doing so. Example: "transfer 100 marks to John for successful transaction" or "for answering question" etc.
copper member

... (snip) ...

Hmm...

I see on the OmniCoin.org web site that it clearly states that OMC launched in April 2014. Pre-launch discussions are different than use.

But, as I said earlier, this is not the place to discuss this. Nothing we say here will change the facts.

Best,
Rick
That was the relaunch of it. If you did some research you'll see the original version was launched back in 2013.

I'm not going to comment any further here in the thread about the name issue. I am in communication, outside this thread, with the lead developer.

Rick
Pages:
Jump to: