Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 176. (Read 379868 times)

legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
I sent 500 YAC from local wallet to BTER an hour ago and still 0 confirmations...

I have not updated the original wallet.

Selling is forbidden at the moment, only buying  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000
I sent 500 YAC from local wallet to BTER an hour ago and still 0 confirmations...

I have not updated the original wallet.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10
I'm going all-in YAC because of this development.
Activity: 347
Merit: 250
Another quick text edit that can be made is:

Change all instances of  "Enter a YaCoin address (e.g. 4Zo1ga6xuKuQ7JV7M9rGDoxdbYwV5zgQJ5)" to a YAC address [starts with Y]

Roger that, adding that to the bug list in the 2nd post in the thread.  Thanks for the bug find!

EDIT - Merged Joe_Bauers git pull request fixing this bug.
This means that with the starting Nfactor being 4, so min N = 1 << (4 + 1) = 32, and the max Nfactor would be 30, so max N = 1 << (30 + 1) = 2147483648.

I've taken some of the code out to VBA and have created an excel spreadsheet graphing N over the next 10 years. Download it at http://goo.gl/pQqkI

Please feel free to review the code and let me know if there are any errors, as well as using the spreadsheet for your own needs around YAC.

Thanks for working up a spreadsheet.  I haven't looked closely at the accuracy of the data, although I did note that it showed N=64 only for one day before jumping to N=128.  I haven't continued watching N since I stopped mining when N went to 64 (thus invalidating my FPGA implementation).  When I have a moment, I'll bring out the C code in GetNfactor() into a small standalone program to verify the timestamps for Nfactor++ events.  Your data is different than what pocopoco (or perhaps it was someone else, can't remember) posted a while back in the official YACoin thread for the time vs. Nfactor++ events, but that doesn't mean what pocopoco posted was correct either.  Smiley

Looking at the graphed data, it appears that N very roughly approximates Moore's law (with some step lengths being shorter than 18/24 months, and others being larger).

Assuming my data is correct, what is everyone's opinion of N's growth? Does it seem realistic to a) keep GPUs out and b) keep CPU mining feasible?

Offhand, for question (b), it appears from your data that CPU mining continues being feasible for quite a long time.  Your data shows 512MB needed to calculate a hash in the year 2023, and that's an amount of RAM that I think everyone probably has available today for hashing.  Disclaimer - I haven't double-checked that your data is correct.

On question (a), I doubt 512MB needed to hash is enough to exclude GPU's, especially a decade out.  It may be enough to keep GPU's from having a huge massive advantage over CPU's once both technologies start having to hit slow external RAM and not fast internal L1/L2 caches, but we won't know for sure until we see what the future holds for GPU development, amounts of RAM on GPU's (and thus how many simultaneous hashes can be calculated in parallel), whether GPU's start getting massive quantities of fast L1/L2 cache like CPU's, what the ratio of L1/L2 cache in CPU's vs. GPU's looks like in a decade, etc..  Probably too early to tell.  We also need to see some of the GPU implementations or adaptations of cgminer released so we can see what they're achieving for hash rates.  Unlike Litecoin, where (almost) everyone derived their OpenCL implementation from Reaper, for YACoin, I suspect there were multiple independent adaptations of cgminer that occurred with no direct contact between the people performing each implementation.  Too early to tell on that as well, or determine exactly how widespread GPU mining of YACoin actually was/is.

The possibility also exists that other technologies other than CPU and GPU options come into existence and widespread application during that timeframe that we can't yet anticipate, or that someone could identify a TMTO shortcut in scrypt+chacha20/8, as happened with the TMTO shortcut for scrypt+salsa20/8 that made GPU's practical for calculating Litecoin hashes.

Change all instances of  "Enter a YaCoin address (e.g. 4Zo1ga6xuKuQ7JV7M9rGDoxdbYwV5zgQJ5)" to a YAC address [starts with Y]

Also in net.cpp

need to do something about  strDNSSeed

That was my point about strDNSSeed.

Currently in Novacoin it is:

Code:
static const char *strDNSSeed[][2] = {
    {"seed", "seed.ppcoin.net"},
    {"tnseed", "tnseed.ppcoin.net"},
};

Yeah, looks like we do need to do something about strDNSSeed.  An earlier commit by pocopoco had a couple hard-coded IP's as seed nodes, then they were removed from the source when the coin was launched.  So right now, we have:

Code:
    //{"yacoin.org", "seed.novacoin.su"},
};

So, no seed nodes at all.  Now the question is what we should select for seed nodes.  The ideal scenario is that we have (at least) 2, operated long-term by two separate parties.  I may be willing to operate one seed node long-term.  Anyone else have a server that's going to be operating yacoind for the long-term that can be used as a seed node?
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH

Also in net.cpp

need to do something about  strDNSSeed

That was my point about strDNSSeed.

Currently in Novacoin it is:

Code:
    {"seed", "seed.ppcoin.net"},
    {"tnseed", "tnseed.ppcoin.net"},
};

Bitcoin setup a condition for testnet and is:

Code:
static const char *strMainNetDNSSeed[][2] = {
    {"bitcoin.sipa.be", "seed.bitcoin.sipa.be"},
    {"bluematt.me", "dnsseed.bluematt.me"},
    {"dashjr.org", "dnsseed.bitcoin.dashjr.org"},
    {"xf2.org", "bitseed.xf2.org"},
    {NULL, NULL}
};
Another reason to leave the default at 8 (even if I make it configurable) is that not everyone is mining.  Miners probably want good connection count to increase the odds of winning the "race" when they solve a block.  People that just want to use the wallet aren't going to be (as) concerned about solved block propogation time.

There is a nasty attack if some node can't accept incoming connections and it is limited to 1 or few outgoing connections. If such node connects to rogue (enemy) node or few of
them, it won't be able to sync with legit blockchain until eventualy it starts dropping connections to rogue nodes and go lucky with picking some legit node out of the peers.dat file.

Indeed.  If I make the max outbound connection count configurable, I'll use 8 as the minimum setting as well as the default.  Then someone would have to modify the source themselves to get it down to 1, and if they do that, they're on their own anyway.  Anyone have a case for the minimum configurable outbound count (in the case of making this a config file and command line option) being a number other than 8?

Here I am asuming node actualy had some legit nodes in peers.dat prior to connecting to rogue node. In the case that node is run by user who just installed YAC, if such node connects
to rogue nodes only it would never sync with legit blockchain because rogue nodes would surely share only IPs of the other rogue nodes.

I seem to recall the client is set up to connect to a certain IRC channel on the Freenode servers to locate other peer IP's.  Now that there's enough people running YACoin nodes/clients, it may be hard for a rogue operator to poison the list of available peers unless someone disables IRC (irc=0).  I need to double-check that the IRC portion is currently working correctly for peer discovery.

Some attention to the seed nodes are probably in order to ensure someone starting up the client for the first time will still accomplish something if the IRC-based peer discovery method fails.  Current official client source doesn't have any seed nodes set.
Activity: 70
when's the release of the windows client ?

After enough meaningful improvements have been made to make it worthwhile for people to upgrade from the official client.  At this point the changes made so far are mostly cosmetic, renaming lingering NovaCoin / NVC references that pocopoco should've cleaned up originally.

Once we get a release I'll update the YaCoin information thread with the updated client info, if it looks like the reception in this thread is good. I'll keep the link to the old one around as well for reference.

windmaster, you should try to join the YAC forums so that you'd also be updated ... according to one of the admins there pocopoco is busy IRL at the moment
Activity: 462

After enough meaningful improvements have been made to make it worthwhile for people to upgrade from the official client.  At this point the changes made so far are mostly cosmetic, renaming lingering NovaCoin / NVC references that pocopoco should've cleaned up originally.

Once we get a release I'll update the YaCoin information thread with the updated client info, if it looks like the reception in this thread is good. I'll keep the link to the old one around as well for reference.

Activity: 70
Let me volunteer for fixing the UPnP issue and recompiling QT client and normal .exe. I've succcesfully build a number of qt clients now for some altcoins the last few days. All with upnp support. I'll have to read up on how to push changes to git cuz i never done that before, I'll PM u windmaster if I get stuck there.

I expect it to be done tonight (i'm at gmt-1 i think)

Great initiative!

I'd prefer to build the binaries on this end, if I'm attaching my name and reputation (what little I have, anyway) to the integrity of the binaries and posting MD5 hashes to claim that I'm aware the binaries accurately represent what's in the source.  Not that people should particularly trust binaries from any unknown third party anyway though (especially in the cryptocurrency community, and that includes trusting binaries from me) and should take the proper precautions by running them in a VM or sandbox, or building them from source themselves.  Still, even if binaries from me are not to be trusted, over time we may be able to build up a level of trust that binaries I've posted and given my "stamp of approval" are legit.  Maintaining tight control over binary production is probably important for building that trust over time.

After all, a huge amount of the early FUD issue surrounding YACoin was a false allegation that certain versions of the compiled Windows client contained a Bitcoin wallet stealer, with multiple shill accounts on bitcointalk all claiming their Bitcoins were stolen.  We need to implement whatever changes are practical to reduce the likelihood of similar FUD campaigns in the future.

Absolutely do hop in and start working out what changes are needed to get UPnP fixed up for Windows though.  We'll get the changes committed to the repository and tested, then we can move on to the next issue(s) on the list (BTW, bug/feature improvement list is now in the 2nd post in this thread).

You can sign the binaries with a GPG key dedicated to this project and let some other trusted community members sign this keypair with their own GPG keys, thus making a web of trust around this project. Anonymity preserved, possible signature revocation should the private key ever get compromised, etc.

Good point, signing with GPG keys may be a viable option.  Other trusted community members may not necessarily be able to vouch for the binaries being legit and untampered though, prior to a sufficient amount of trust in my fork of the YACoin client being established.
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
This thread is probably giving RMS a huge chubby...  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_and_open-source_software
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
fml
Please don't reset the coin. A lot of people, have sunk a lot of time, money and resources into mining it, I don't think people would be very happy, if all their coins, suddenly became completely worthless...I know I would be upset, to lose my investment

It's a client fork, not a reset.
..and it's just wierd to see you cry about not losing your YAC when you and kooke were really nasty to the early YAC community.

Yes, I was an original supporter, actually, then the Dev, pumped, dumped and abondoned the coin. Once I saw this thread, I immediately purchased 1 BTC worth, at ~ 0.0003...And looks like it was the right choice, because the value has doubled.
Delighted you have taken the bull by the horns, WindMaster. Don't have mad amounts of time today, but I'm definitely along for the ride and will offer all the hours I can. Tonight I hope to get the blockchain explorer up and running, as this feels like something we really need working now for the long-term credibility of YAC.

+1

A close examination of the first few thousand blocks will be especially interesting.  It may or may not reveal how many YAC the original developer mined, depending whether he mined everything into one coinbase wallet address or not.  I think it's reasonable to believe the address the first block after the genesis block was mined to is likely to be part of pocopoco's mining operation or someone tipped off to the launch ahead of time.
Activity: 94
Doesn't that worry you that the dev didn't have any long term goals for this coin?   To me that screams pump and dump, and he's likely already cashed out a handsome sum.  I know you farmed up a ton of these with your server farm on the first day and have a great interest in trying to see this thing through, but to an outsider it seems this coin is on life support right now.

With any of these alt coins going forward, they'll be only as good as the community behind them. It's still very early on in a crypto-currency world and imo there's going to be many coins that have different levels of value far above what they are today. The window to get big in these early stages won't last too long, but atm it's still open.
Some coins may come along and even overtake bitcoin. However unlikely, it's not impossible.
Activity: 462
I too am invested in YAC and its future growth and adoption. Thank you Windmaster for taking this initiative!! For those wondering about N, like me, I did some code digging. As the announcement post said, N starts at 32. There is a function in main.cpp (GetNfactor) that takes in the current timestamp to calculate the "NFactor", which is eventually fed into the scrypt() function of the scrypt-jane library (which is a LIBRARY/IMPLEMENTATION, not a specific scrypt algorithm) and converted to N as such:

Code:
N = (1 << (Nfactor + 1));

So basically, left bitshift 1 over by (Nfactor + 1).

Near GetNfactor back in main.cpp, the following is also defined:

Code:
const unsigned char minNfactor = 4;
const unsigned char maxNfactor = 30;

This means that with the starting Nfactor being 4, so min N = 1 << (4 + 1) = 32, and the max Nfactor would be 30, so max N = 1 << (30 + 1) = 2147483648.

From N we can get the memory required for the hashing by looking at the following code out of scrypt-jane.c:
Code:
r = (1 << rfactor);
chunk_bytes = SCRYPT_BLOCK_BYTES * r * 2;
V = scrypt_alloc((uint64_t)N * chunk_bytes);

Given that SCRYPT_BLOCK_BYTES is defined as 64, and rfactor = 0 (as passed in), chunk_bytes = 64 * 1 * 2, or 128. So to get the memory in bytes required for a given Nval, just do Nval * 128. To get it in KB, just do Nval * 128 / 1024, or simply Nval / 8 (as a shortcut).

EDIT: See the next page for an improved python script I've created to calculate N and memory required for hashing

Looking at the graphed data, it appears that N very roughly approximates Moore's law (with some step lengths being shorter than 18/24 months, and others being larger).
EDIT: As I graphed it out 20 years...this approximation doesn't really hold that well...unless my python adaptation is incorrect.

Assuming my data is correct, what is everyone's opinion of N's growth? Does it seem realistic to a) keep GPUs out and b) keep CPU mining feasible?
Activity: 448
Doesn't that worry you that the dev didn't have any long term goals for this coin?   To me that screams pump and dump, and he's likely already cashed out a handsome sum.  I know you farmed up a ton of these with your server farm on the first day and have a great interest in trying to see this thing through, but to an outsider it seems this coin is on life support right now.

Does it really matter if the original dev never returns at this point though?  We've now got an active developer interested in maintaining things, and services (pools ect.) starting to pop up.  So what if the original dev cashed out and made a bundle at this point, thats just more coins out in the wild for others to buy up if desired.   Are we worried about btc because Satoshi isn't around?
Activity: 167
Merit: 100

Yeah, it's largely out of the original developer's hands, as the blockchain is "in the wild" now.  Short of releasing a closed-source client with incompatible changes and somehow convincing the community as a whole that shunning the open source approach to cryptocurrencies is somehow better, there aren't any changes pocopoco can make that invalidate any of our own efforts to improve the coin.

Having said that, I doubt improving the client much was a high priority for pocopoco.  Seriously, he didn't even take 30 seconds to grep the source for any remaining occurences of "NovaCoin" or "NVC" and correct them.

Jump to: