Author

Topic: [ANN][YAC] YACoin ongoing development - page 177. (Read 379868 times)

Activity: 347
Merit: 250
nope all fair points...
My issue was one that if the orig dev comes back, he may change something and make all your work go to crap....

Majority of hashpower and service providers like exchanges win, not developers.

Yeah, it's largely out of the original developer's hands, as the blockchain is "in the wild" now.  Short of releasing a closed-source client with incompatible changes and somehow convincing the community as a whole that shunning the open source approach to cryptocurrencies is somehow better, there aren't any changes pocopoco can make that invalidate any of our own efforts to improve the coin.

Having said that, I doubt improving the client much was a high priority for pocopoco.  Seriously, he didn't even take 30 seconds to grep the source for any remaining occurences of "NovaCoin" or "NVC" and correct them.
Activity: 347
I also recompiled my version to change

static const int MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS = 8;

to

static const int MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS = 200;

which seems to mitigate any UPNP issues.

static const int MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS = 8; is old code and should really be changed for all forks.

I think a better solution would be to make the maximum outbound connection count configurable, through the config file and command line options.  As Bitcoin Megastore pointed out, a blanket change to increase the maximum outbound connection count isn't universally ideal for many situations, particularly people behind older/slower NAT'ing routers that don't have many connection tracking slots.

Now that block rate is in the ~1 minute target range rather than 1-2 seconds, the number of outbound connections is quite a bit less critical to the issue of orphaned blocks.  It was extremely critical when blocks were being solved rapid-fire early on, but has become a lot less critical now.

Another reason to leave the default at 8 (even if I make it configurable) is that not everyone is mining.  Miners probably want good connection count to increase the odds of winning the "race" when they solve a block.  People that just want to use the wallet aren't going to be (as) concerned about solved block propogation time.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Please don't reset the coin. A lot of people, have sunk a lot of time, money and resources into mining it, I don't think people would be very happy, if all their coins, suddenly became completely worthless...I know I would be upset, to lose my investment

It's a client fork, not a reset.
..and it's just wierd to see you cry about not losing your YAC when you and kooke were really nasty to the early YAC community.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
fml
Please don't reset the coin. A lot of people, have sunk a lot of time, money and resources into mining it, I don't think people would be very happy, if all their coins, suddenly became completely worthless...I know I would be upset, to lose my investment
Activity: 802
Merit: 1003
GCVMMWH
That's an interesting point. Come on, let's get into character
Activity: 406
The cryptocoin watcher
Good point. A hard limit should be set somewhere not in the Billion range though...

Difficulty scales supply to demand. You have to make a case for difficulty being too low for the near future demand (which doesn't seem the case IMHO), and in that case for the need of capping supply instead of just raising difficulty.

If demand raises healthily then two billion is fine. It's like one million wallets with 2,000 coins on average. Remember the final aim is to maximize demand, not to maximize the value per coin (it's not the same).
GCVMMWH
Good point. A hard limit should be set somewhere not in the Billion range though...
GCVMMWH
what's the max coins for YAC?

unlimited?

It should be less than 500 Million in my opinion.
Activity: 224
Shitcoin Maximalist

unlimited?

If it's unchanged from Novacoin, there is a 2 billion cap written into the code, but this was never supposed to be a hard and fast limit or rule, and we'd probably never get there even if it was.
Activity: 322

unlimited?
Activity: 322
seems yac has some other bugs!
GCVMMWH

to

You better not do it because you will consume all router connections on outgoing connections and other nodes won't be able to connect to your node and thus sync with blockchain.
8 outgoing connections are there to make sure your node can sync. After it synced, it should allow nodes coming online later to connect to it and sync themselves. Once established,
connection is just connection, there are no differences whatsoever between outgoing and incoming connections beside the name.

Until there is valid UPnP YAC client you can use software like Port Mapper to allow incoming connections. I suggesting learning the tools like it because you never know when some
other software you would like to use might have troubles with incoming connections but there are no developers around, software is closed source or something.

More testing probably is needed to verify the effects, but it works fine for me. My understanding is that the original 8 connection limit is legacy code, and the more connections the better.
Activity: 448
How to scrape bter price, I'd make a basic android price check app but don't have idea how to pull the price from there.

http://bter.com/api/1/ticker/yac_btc
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
How to scrape bter price, I'd make a basic android price check app but don't have idea how to pull the price from there.
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
static const int MAX_OUTBOUND_CONNECTIONS = 8; is old code and should really be changed for all forks.

yeah, I'm behind an overly-restrictive firewall, so I do this to all coins I use.
GCVMMWH
Another quick text edit that can be made is:

Change all instances of  "Enter a YaCoin address (e.g. 4Zo1ga6xuKuQ7JV7M9rGDoxdbYwV5zgQJ5)" to a YAC address [starts with Y]

Also in net.cpp

need to do something about  strDNSSeed

I also recompiled my version to change

to

which seems to mitigate any UPNP issues.

Activity: 448
Tonight I hope to get the blockchain explorer up and running, as this feels like something we really need working now for the long-term credibility of YAC.

Awesome!  This is very  much needed.  I started looking into Abe, but didn't get too far on required modifications for YAC yet.  I'll gladly send some YAC your way for your efforts.
One does not simply mine Bitcoins
Tonight I hope to get the blockchain explorer up and running, as this feels like something we really need working now for the long-term credibility of YAC.
^ this.
Activity: 224
Shitcoin Maximalist
Delighted you have taken the bull by the horns, WindMaster. Don't have mad amounts of time today, but I'm definitely along for the ride and will offer all the hours I can. Tonight I hope to get the blockchain explorer up and running, as this feels like something we really need working now for the long-term credibility of YAC.
GCVMMWH
Maybe pocopoco is Satoshi  Grin
Jump to: