Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer R4 - dead hash board? Shitty design, read before you send it back - page 2. (Read 12313 times)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0
Have you tried this? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18267781

EDIT: I can confirm that it resets a R4 batch-6 back to BMiner v1.0 file system date Tue Aug 9 21:00:51 CST 2016.
It also resets all pool info back to Factory so you will have to re-enter it.

Good bit is: Auto-tune is GONE! IT GIVES BACK FREQ and FAN SPEED CONTROL! Cheesy

To do:
Power off miner
Press and hold in the IP REPORTER button.
While holding the button in, turn ON the miner power
Continue to hold in button for 5-7 sec and release
Wait a few min an you should be able to re-enter your pool info.
Enjoy!

Caveat: Since it runs BOTH boards at the same freq, if one is er, weak, you would have to downclock the good one until the weak one is happy....
Or apply the correct R4 update and get Auto-tune back...

That's very helpful! I reset mine back to the default Aug 9th firmware using that method and it's much better now. One board still isn't reading properly (45 of 63 chips), but if I downclock it enough  (533mhz) the bad board gives me back about 1TH/s not quite as good as new, but at least it's helping. 5TH/s with one bad and one downclocked good board, vs 4TH/s with one 600Mhz good board.
legendary
Activity: 3682
Merit: 2607
Evil beware: We have waffles!
question for you all. One of my guys "upgraded" an Antminer R4 batch 6 to the latest Antminer S9 firmware. That upgrade went through just fine....and now it won't hash, of course.

It won't let me replace the Antminer S9 firmware with the correct Antminer R4 firmware.

Anyone know where in the R4 filesystem there might be a file or setting to change to get it back on track?
Have you tried this? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.18267781

EDIT: I can confirm that it resets a R4 batch-6 back to BMiner v1.0 file system date Tue Aug 9 21:00:51 CST 2016.
It also resets all pool info back to Factory so you will have to re-enter it.

Good bit is: Auto-tune is GONE! IT GIVES BACK FREQ and FAN SPEED CONTROL! Cheesy

To do:
Power off miner
Press and hold in the IP REPORTER button.
While holding the button in, turn ON the miner power
Continue to hold in button for 5-7 sec and release
Wait a few min an you should be able to re-enter your pool info.
Enjoy!

Caveat: Since it runs BOTH boards at the same freq, if one is er, weak, you would have to downclock the good one until the weak one is happy....
Or apply the correct R4 update and get Auto-tune back...
Activity: 77
Merit: 10
question for you all. One of my guys "upgraded" an Antminer R4 batch 6 to the latest Antminer S9 firmware. That upgrade went through just fine....and now it won't hash, of course.

It won't let me replace the Antminer S9 firmware with the correct Antminer R4 firmware.

Anyone know where in the R4 filesystem there might be a file or setting to change to get it back on track?
Got the repaired board back from Colorado, took a little longer than expected, but it's running fine, and their service was informative and helpful the entire time.

Arrived at Bitmain warranty: Feb 23
Returned repaired: Mar 8
Cost $175 + $25 return shipping + $25 outbound shipping to CO

Have another dead R4 board to send, but you can't keep running the other half if you send one in like you can on the S9 (downclocked to 500 to keep the temp stable) Too much of the air pressure escapes on the open side. I suppose that space could be filled with something fire retardant to make it work, but I haven't figured that out yet.

So I either wait until another R4 board dies, so I can send in two at once. Or I send it in and power down the other board until it's fixed.

I think I'll wait and see. But at least we have a repair service in the states that works.
Activity: 1
one of my boards dies after hashing for 8.7 for a few mins.  Tried rebooting and it will always hash at like 8.7 for maybe 10mins and then drop to 4.3

Code:
Chain# ASIC# Frequency(avg) GH/S(ideal) GH/S(RT) HW Temp(Chip1) Temp(Chip2) ASIC status

oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo ooooooo

oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo oooooooo ooooooo
Total

Fan# Fan1 Fan2 Fan3 Fan4 Fan5 Fan6 Fan7 Fan8
Speed (r/min) 0 0 2,160 0 0 0 0 0
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
I had a good laugh on your story. Thanks! but yea, that really sucks if 20 degC is considered cold.... My S9 has been hashing stably and quietly (fans < 2k rpm) on my balcony while it's -25 degC.

Temp problem confirmed. Run strong when hot enough. I re-tested low temp and nope ... need to be in-house.
Activity: 49
Merit: 3
BTW, the control board has 3 ports for hashboards.  Try swapping the cable of the the flaky hashboard to the unused port.

Should have read this thread before buying an R4.  But I couldn't help myself.
So I have one from batch 5.  7.5 TH/s.  It actually runs about 7 Th/s.

The first board tends to go dead about every 12 hours.  But to look at the Miner Status screen it's hard to tell.  See below.  Everything looks fine.  But Board 1 is not actually hashing.  The only giveaway is the temps.  But everything else about it is bogus!  We re-flashed the firmware to see if that will help.  Anyone else see anything similar?

[...]
Activity: 49
Merit: 3
For anyone contemplating updating your 7.5th firmware, even though it should be the same, there are differences withe the one installed on the antminer and the one available on Bitmain's website.  I highly recommend you don't update, I did and one of my hashboards died not 30 minutes after...

From this screenshot it looks like the lower average must have come from a lost internet connection.  Do you have any screenshots that shows that the board actually stops hashing?

The first board tends to go dead about every 12 hours.  But to look at the Miner Status screen it's hard to tell.  See below.  Everything looks fine.  But Board 1 is not actually hashing.  The only giveaway is the temps.  But everything else about it is bogus!  We re-flashed the firmware to see if that will help.  Anyone else see anything similar?

[...]
legendary
Activity: 1593
Merit: 1004

Activity: 357
Merit: 26
I've got a new one (for me anyway) - R4 is hashing fine, asics all present, but browser interface is mainly blank, no fan speed, and no detailed hashing info. However, it's definitely online, and the pool (or nicehash in this case) is logging fine.

Have rebooted, but no changes, worth reinstalling firmware? Or just leave it?
Edit: Reflashing the firmware seems to have fixed it (fingers firmly crossed). BM's latest is from Dec just FYI...
Activity: 407
Merit: 255
Got back my repaired R4. Worked for a few hours then some chips died with the dreaded missing 0 0. Then I rebooted the unit and it never came back up. I have powered it down and left it for a few hours then powered it back up and no go. I can't even ping it. I will contact Bitmain and to see what can be done.
Activity: 15
We purchased some R4 to test them.. 1 of 16 boards died after 2 days. The others are running strong since 5 weeks. Knocking wood. We will not purchase R4 again.

If someone want the faulty hashing board to test it and find a solution to repair them, the board is already out of the miner. S9 controller can hash with R4 firmware I've tested it.
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
more than once

Join the club bro.  I have two r4s. And three working boards
Activity: 9
Did you try power it off, wait for 30 seconds and power it back on?  It may work fully with simple reboot if you reboot it immediately after the hash pcb disappeared or dropped.

more than once
donator
Activity: 792
Merit: 510
Did you try power it off, wait for 30 seconds and power it back on?  It may work fully with simple reboot if you reboot it immediately after the hash pcb disappeared or dropped.  

new R4 running for ~1 day, dropped 1 board....WTF
Activity: 9
new R4 running for ~1 day, dropped 1 board....WTF
Hey guys,

So my R4 with missing chips (in kernel log) has returned by BM.  It's now up and running and I can see that it's running 20161209 firmware which is a higher version than what's available on BM website Shocked

It also appears to run quieter (fan 2040 vs 2100 prior) and at a much lower error rate.

I hope this magic lasts.

So far I am happy with their services as they have opt to cover my round trip shipping.

I'm pretty sure the firmware is the same in the S9 and the R4, it uses a different controller, but the base code is the same with the exception of the fan control.

You can load any S9 firmware with a Xilinx folder to an R4 and it'll do everything the same until it detects only one fan, then it'll shutdown bmminer. You can also load any R4 firmware with a c5 folder to an S9. I haven't run them for long, they don't seem to like the others fan configuration, but it works.

Also my S9 board is fixed and hopefully on the way back soon. It's been almost a month since they received it as it had more issues than they were expecting. Hopefully it runs without issue. They responded quickly and helpfully each time I emailed, so a big plus for that.
Activity: 441
No zuo no die why you try, u zuo u die dont be shy
Hey guys,

So my R4 with missing chips (in kernel log) has returned by BM.  It's now up and running and I can see that it's running 20161209 firmware which is a higher version than what's available on BM website Shocked

It also appears to run quieter (fan 2040 vs 2100 prior) and at a much lower error rate.

I hope this magic lasts.

So far I am happy with their services as they have opt to cover my round trip shipping.
Activity: 1
Anyone know how I can get in touch with Yoshi? I would much prefer to get one of the hashing boards repaired from him than bitmain.
Activity: 441
No zuo no die why you try, u zuo u die dont be shy
What's the average time for Bitmain Hong Kong to turn around warranty claims?

My two R4's were delivered yesterday afternoon, well so the DHL tracking shows however I've heard nothing from Bitmain and the Repair ticket hasn't been updated.

5 business days as they transfer from HK to repair site in mainland
Pages:
Jump to: