Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer R4 - dead hash board? Shitty design, read before you send it back - page 7. (Read 12313 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
I'm wishing you luck - I've got 2 x B6 and both have dropped a board. One was immediate, the other 2 days later.

Hope you got smart and put both bad boards in one for the return
Activity: 924
Merit: 500
🎥🎥🎥📀📀📀My r4 just dropped a board today.  I will go to the hosting site and try your fix  on monday.  thanks.🎥🎥🎥📀📀📀

I spent many hours solving this problem and when I was thinking to give up when I tried last thing which surprisingly recovered my bad board. Good luck!
I am a bit confused as to your fix.

You ran single board #1 through warmup, then ran single board #2 through warmup, then ran both together?

Sorry if my explanation is too complicated.

1) turn off the miner
2) unplug working board
3) start miner until it hashes.
4) if you are lucky, it will recover bad board
5) turn off miner
6) plug good board back
7) start miner until it hashes.
Cool if you are lucky, you have both working boards
9) if you have bad luck, try it again. You can also try start "single-board-test" program via Putty several times.

NEVER stop or apply changes before miner start hashing. It killed my board, but I recovered it by previous steps.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
Really hoping that the other R4 B6 arriving on Monday does better!

I can't help but think of Einstein's misattributed quote about insanity when I read this.  I wish you the best, it seems like a lot of people are having high failure rates with these, with threads and posts popping up daily. I for one and glad I kept away from them despite some serious separation-ASICxiety.
Activity: 120
Merit: 100

I'm wishing you luck - I've got 2 x B6 and both have dropped a board. One was immediate, the other 2 days later.
legendary
Activity: 3682
Merit: 2607
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Tried it with my dead board -- by itself even after several hard/soft boots the bad card never reports more than 8 chips and refused to even try hashing. Reconnected the good board and back to 4.4THs on the good board and only 450GHs on the bad board.

Looking at the log in several places it reports the asic number is stored in the PIC and then jumps over several tests both for the good board and the bad one. Wondering if resetting or (god forbid) reflashing the miner might reset that info stored in the PIC...

legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
🎥🎥🎥📀📀📀My r4 just dropped a board today.  I will go to the hosting site and try your fix  on monday.  thanks.🎥🎥🎥📀📀📀
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
I am a bit confused as to your fix.

You ran single board #1 through warmup, then ran single board #2 through warmup, then ran both together?
Hi, I am back with some info about R4 dead boards.

I bought R4 batch 4 and tried if it can be tweaked a bit, but I applied changes during warming-up phase which killed one of hashboard with ASIC count=0 error.

I tried many restarts and tweaking of Config.ini script, but without success. There is "single-board-test" program which test ASIC count, cores and reliability, but it also check firmware checksum. During my resuscitation both hashboards showed many times incorrect firmware in PIC (usual problem in S7, but R4 will re-flash it automatically) and very random behaviour.

Some errors collected during restarts:

PIC has not written default frequency. (automatic search did not work, sometimes it found 20 ASIC, sometimes more).
PIC voltage 790 varying up to 940
chain 7 (J8) ASIC count 0
incorrect temperature reading
sometimes it just freezed

After several hours of restarting and running "single-board-test" I think each ASIC has its frequency written in PIC, each board has also maximum voltage set, so it is not probable it will be possible to overclock the board without cracking PIC firmware. Crash seems to be happening on I2C communication with PIC controller with more than one hash board connected.

TLDR:

I found solution by unplugging one board and run miner only with ONE board until it warm-up and start hashing. After that I did the same with second board. Both boards worked, so I plugget them together and miner started with both boards running as new. Check kernel log for ASIC=63 during warming-up phase.

Hope this will help you before you decide to send whole R4 unit to HK.
Pages:
Jump to: