Pages:
Author

Topic: Antminer S2 Support and Overclocking Thread - page 4. (Read 26595 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 501
I have both Corsair AX1200i installed and the stosk Enermax PSU. 1200+1000 W. Is this enough? I can try to connect both these PSUs. But I'm afraid to brick my S2. )

p.s. I'll ask Bitmain via e-mail about it.  Roll Eyes

I've wondered the same thing. If it is possible to connect two PSU units I would imagine more power for the chips. Might be possible that you could do half the boards on one new PSU then others on the Original.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
I have both Corsair AX1200i installed and the stosk Enermax PSU. 1200+1000 W. Is this enough? I can try to connect both these PSUs. But I'm afraid to brick my S2. )

p.s. I'll ask Bitmain via e-mail about it.  Roll Eyes
Maybe the chips need more then 1200w to get them pass 225mhz
legendary
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
I think I'm going to do some scripting on my GPU miner to monitor the S2 w/ Kano's firmware and when it resets to stock, put my config back on it and restart cgminer ...

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;

my $s2pooldata = `echo "pools|" | nc 192.168.1.99 4028`;
chomp($s2pooldata);

if ( $s2pooldata =~ /btcguild/ ) {
        system("sshpass -p 'admin' scp -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no s2-cgminer.conf root\@192.168.1.99:/config/cgminer.conf 2>/dev/null");
        system("sshpass -p 'admin' ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no root\@192.168.1.99 /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh stop 2>/dev/null");
        sleep 5;
        system("sshpass -p 'admin' ssh -o UserKnownHostsFile=/dev/null -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no root\@192.168.1.99 /etc/init.d/cgminer.sh start 2>/dev/null");
}

Requires perl, obviously, sshpass which on ubuntu can be installed with "sudo apt-get install sshpass", and nc which on ubuntu can be installed with "sudo apt-get install netcat-openbsd" ...

Save it as whateveryoudlike.pl and add it to your crontab to run every minute or five minutes or whatever you'd like (chmod 755 after creating the file, obviously)

If you use btcguild in your config file, other things you can look for to see if it's flipped back to (Kano) stock are -

nezumikun.kant
juros_kant
stratum.ozco.in

And as you can see you have to have the desired s2 config file in the same directory as the script, and named s2-cgminer.conf ... it'd probably be wise to update that to use a full path ...

This is for stock clocks, just duplicate the scp line and update the file name to asic-freq.config if you want to copy over a custom clock file as well.  You can add another ssh line as well if desired to copy it from /config to /etc.
Have just replaced stock PSU with Corsair AX1200i and overclocked a miner to 218 MHz. Seems to be OK, without any significant HW/rejects.

Does anyone know how to avoid resetting of configuration files during reboot?.. Copying it to /etc folder doesn't help at all, anytime I shutdown or reboot my S2 I forced to configure it again from it's factory settings...  Angry

Kano's?

It's built on an earlier factory image that had that same bug ... no fix until either he releases an updated version with the latest stock fixes incorporated, or we get a new version through the official channel with his fixes incorporated  Undecided

Rock and a hard place ...

On the bright side, for me, Nicehash has made some changes on their end and Kano's firmware now plays nicely with them ... I think I'm going to do some scripting on my GPU miner to monitor the S2 w/ Kano's firmware and when it resets to stock, put my config back on it and restart cgminer ...
legendary
Have just replaced stock PSU with Corsair AX1200i and overclocked a miner to 218 MHz. Seems to be OK, without any significant HW/rejects.

Does anyone know how to avoid resetting of configuration files during reboot?.. Copying it to /etc folder doesn't help at all, anytime I shutdown or reboot my S2 I forced to configure it again from it's factory settings...  Angry
legendary
My S2 is working on 212 MHz for last 4+ hours on stock PSU. Temperature of several boards have rised for 1 degree. There are much less discarded, stale shares and HW errors, but this may depend on router's firmware replace.  Roll Eyes

At pool side I see about 5-7% of hash speed increase. Need more time to observe.

Update: after some strange hangup yesterday I did a power reset, and all my settings has reverted back to default factory settings, in spite that I did everything as described in first post of this thread... Files in both /config and /etc folders are in their pristine state...  Huh How?..
legendary
Well, after my modding attempt I can conclude that Noctua NF-A14 PWM is not a proper choise (I replaced 2 on the front). Temperatures of all boards rised to 2-3 degrees. But these fans are quiet, definetely.  Cool

Unfortunately new PSU Chieftec GPM-1250C refused to start (both connected to miner's MB and and standalone), so I will try to exchange it tomorrow or perform moneyback.... And I was not smart enough to check it before replacing...  Angry
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Guys, please make this clear - have you achieved more hashing power (stable long-term h.p. both at miner's and pool's side with normal reject/discarded/stale/HW rate) after S2 overclocking or not?..  Huh Also - what firmware do you use, what clocks have you set?

I will today replace 2 big fans with Noctua NF-A14 PWM (to see whether it will work more quiet having the same temperature), replace PSU with Chieftec 1250 W and try to OC it.  Tongue

Mine runs silent. I swapped my fans for 8x Prolimatech PRO-BV14 which are only 18dba. Akasa makes a higher CFM fan at 24dba which might be better but I'm not sure how loud that would be. I pointed all 4 side case fans inward and removed the case and put the other 4 directly on top of the boards to blow the hot air upwards. My max temp is 53c
Guys, please make this clear - have you achieved more hashing power (stable long-term h.p. both at miner's and pool's side with normal reject/discarded/stale/HW rate) after S2 overclocking or not?..  Huh Also - what firmware do you use, what clocks have you set?

~1.08 TH average over several hours on nicehash, 218 clocks, latest stock firmware
1.12 TH average over several hours on multipool.us, 218 clocks, latest stock firmware
1.21 TH average over one hour on multipool.us, 218 clocks, Kano's firmware
CAN NOT use nicehash with Kano's firmware (invalid ntime errors)

All with a Corsair 1200W.
legendary

I will today replace 2 big fans with Noctua NF-A14 PWM (to see whether it will work more quiet having the same temperature), replace PSU with Chieftec 1250 W and try to OC it.  Tongue
Back to stock, stuck with the beeping again, but hey, at least I can mine with Nicehash ...

nicehash - 15m avg 1040 gh/s - 8.34% rejects
multipool.us - 15m avg 1099 gh/s - 0.22% rejects

It feels like the room is cooling off too ... I REALLY think Kano's firmware runs hotter for some reason ... which does make some sense given the massive increase in hashrate I was seeing ...

Are you still pushing it at 218mhz or did you drop that back down to normal too? I'm able to run at 200mhz on stock psu and no addtional heating problems.

218 ... I can't break 1 TH average at stock so I won't leave it there no matter how hot my room gets!  Smiley

Haven't spent any considerable amount of time at the speeds in between ... I had an extra PSU lying around so the upgrade didn't cost me a cent ... I'm not sure I'd go spend money on one if I didn't have it sitting around though because they may tell us in two months that as part of the 2 TH upgrade kit we need to go buy x/y or z and any purchases made today could be rendered useless :-/
Back to stock, stuck with the beeping again, but hey, at least I can mine with Nicehash ...

It feels like the room is cooling off too ... I REALLY think Kano's firmware runs hotter for some reason ... which does make some sense given the massive increase in hashrate I was seeing ...

Are you still pushing it at 218mhz or did you drop that back down to normal too? I'm able to run at 200mhz on stock psu and no addtional heating problems.

Yeah, the increased hashrate on multipool.us with Kano's is coming at a big price for me ... 59.85% rejects on Nicehash vs 3.2% at multipool (I flip between both based on the price at Nicehash) ...

Code:
 [2014-07-27 21:47:48] Rejected 3235311f Diff 1.3K/512 AS2 0 pool 0 (Invalid ntime rolling.)
 [2014-07-27 21:47:50] Accepted 0963b632 Diff 6.98K/512 AS2 0 pool 0
 [2014-07-27 21:47:52] Accepted 0eaf3303 Diff 4.46K/512 AS2 0 pool 0
 [2014-07-27 21:47:53] Accepted 2f8a9177 Diff 1.38K/512 AS2 0 pool 0
 [2014-07-27 21:47:55] Rejected 1cc9bed3 Diff 2.28K/512 AS2 0 pool 0 (Invalid ntime rolling.)
 [2014-07-27 21:47:56] Accepted 7f3e1e32 Diff 515/512 AS2 0 pool 0
 [2014-07-27 21:47:58] Rejected 59d3794f Diff 730/512 AS2 0 pool 0 (Invalid ntime rolling.)

Looking at my graphs on Nicehash, this was not happening with the old firmware -

The red part is the rejected hashrate ...

So it comes down to -

~5% better hashrate on multipool but losing out on high priced periods on Nicehash with Kano's firmware, or, back to the status quo with an acceptable hashrate on both with the stock firmware ...

Bitmain support pointed me to the latest S3 firmware (yes, S3 firmware) to resolve the beeping issues ... perhaps I'll give that a go ...

Update: Just got home and my room is extremely hot, and the AC has been on all weekend, and it's maybe 18 degrees outside ... the room did not get this hot before ... I can't say 100% for sure, but I think the Kano build is also making the box run a LOT hotter, because nothing else in this room has changed in the last week ...

Update 2: Can't flash S3 firmware onto the S2, it's a .bin file and the S2 is looking for a .tar file
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Downside to using kano firmware is it overwrites all configurations files every reboot. Which makes the pools point back to his. I had deleted all the pools and only put in mine as the first and then last night after 24+ hours of running I noticed one of kano's pools got written into the second slot again and it was mining for him for a couple hours. I don't know what happened; could have just been a 1 time glitch/bug.

I tried just installing his version of cgminer 4.3.5 onto the original firmware but it gets overwritten back to 3.10 when it reboots.
Are you using the stock PSU? Also how are the hardware errors looking?

No, a 1250w Corsair ...

Hardware errors are around 24k an hour which didn't seem all that much worse than at stock clocks ...

So you did the firmware update and the clock mod. I'm thinking of doing the Kano upgrade but I haven't seen much info about the benefitsother then a modern version of cgminer.

No, a 1250w Corsair ...

Hardware errors are around 24k an hour which didn't seem all that much worse than at stock clocks ...
WOW, hashrate on multipool.us has gone up a LOT with this Kano firmware -

<3

I was getting about an 1150 average on multipool.us before, and somewhere in the 1020-1050 area on Nicehash ...

Not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but I have NEVER seen an average that high after it settles down after the first few minutes, so I'm guessing not ...

That's @ 218 MHz btw ...

Pages:
Jump to: