Pages:
Author

Topic: Any other Americans considering a claim against the FBI over SilkRoad? - page 4. (Read 3952 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Well the claim isn't against the FBI.  People seem to think the coins belong to the FBI.  Eventually the coins or the proceeds from when the coins are sold will become the property of the US Treasury.  However they aren't even the property of the US treasury yet.

After the trial is over (yes technically they can do it before but they won't for a lot of reasons) the DOJ (<- notice not FBI) will file for civil forfeiture.  It will be successful and then the DOJ will auction off the fofeited property and transfer the proceeds to the US Treasury.   They do this for billions of dollars in forfeited property every year so it isn't anything unprecedented, although this is probably the first case involving Bitcoins.

Part of that process will be a public claim period.  You have the ability to file a claim (under penalty of perjury) that the assets confiscated are owned partly by you, and that they were not the proceeds of a criminal enterprise.

If you succeed the court would return the wrongly frozen assets back to you.  I don't think I have to point out how much of an uphill battle that will be and how much the three letter agencies will turn over every aspect of your life to see if there is fire where there is smoke but it is your right as part of due diligence.  However I should warn you to get some realistic expectations.  The timeline is measured in years (sometimes decades).  I had funds frozen as part of legal action against Full Tilt Poker, that was over two and a half years ago, AFAIK to date not a single penny of player funds have been returned.
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
Hahahaha, you're as stupid as the dealers, junkies and any other criminal fucktard that used that site. GO for it, file a claim, give them reason to know who you are and arrest your delinquent ass too. With you being a site user, it will certainly make you a suspect if you open your mouth, just go ahead and file your claim, that will be great. hahahaha. Fricken criminal scum and anarchist trash need to be put in prison, it was a great bust Silk Road, so many leads now. Lock all them bastards up.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
is it me or does anyone else think it's kinda funny that OP is basically saying "i wanted to protect my assets, so i hid my bitcoins where the drugs were."
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
I think you will have very little luck with claiming BTC, just like you would with cash involved in alleged drug trade...

USA land of the free...
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
doesn't make any sense to me.. you had to have known that the FBI was after silk road. if you wanna risk that much money, you should have also known that DPR was not very careful about his staying quiet.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
Why would you use a blackmarket as an online wallet in the first place?

Because I had already been taken by another online wallet service that closed with much of my funds.  Mybitcoin.com IIRC.  So I figured that a hidden website that doesnt' even pretend to be legal wouldn't be a worse risk.  I figured (incorrectly) that as long as it had already been up and not seized, that DPR must have known what he was doing in the security realm.  I was keeping it there as I transitioned from one computer system to another and moving from one home to another.  I just hadn't gotten around to logging back into it and sending myself the funds yet before the FBI takedown.  I was procrastinating.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
+1 @TiagoTiago

The site was shady and unreliable from the get go...
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)
Why would you use a blackmarket as an online wallet in the first place?
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007
I was using SilkRoad only to store a selection of bitcoins offsite.  I've never bought any drugs from the site, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.  They took about 30 bitcoins from me when they snatched Silk Road, and I'm considering sueing them now considering their present value.  Anyone else thinking about this?  Anyone here have any experience with such a claim?
Pages:
Jump to: