Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone have any idea how to control a Win 8 rig from another room? Wireless KVM? - page 2. (Read 2662 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Drill the wall

Seriously.

I really don't understand what seems so hard about just plugging everything in with longer cables...

I don't understand why you are even bringing virtualization into the mix. You don't need a separate session do you? You don't need someone to be in the other room using the computer at the same time as you, do you? You aren't looking to control more than that one machine from that single set of keyboard/mouse/monitor, are you?
If not, then you are looking at solutions for problems you don't have.

Because I have a nice big house and don't want to run 50-60 ft VGA/DVI or drill holes in walls.  Plus the way my house is setup I would have to go through like 3 walls to get to my living room.  And then have cable laying here and there.  Or I would have to run it through the attic and have a cable to going up into my 16 ft ceilings in my living room. Smiley
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Wireless keyboard, mouse and VGA?

That looks nice - I want it and don't even need it Smiley
vip
Activity: 756
Merit: 503
Wireless keyboard, mouse and VGA?

Activity: 471
Merit: 256
Drill the wall

Seriously.

I really don't understand what seems so hard about just plugging everything in with longer cables...

I don't understand why you are even bringing virtualization into the mix. You don't need a separate session do you? You don't need someone to be in the other room using the computer at the same time as you, do you? You aren't looking to control more than that one machine from that single set of keyboard/mouse/monitor, are you?
If not, then you are looking at solutions for problems you don't have.
Activity: 288
Merit: 250
No I dont think i was clear.

I want to put my rig (tower) in the other room.  I want to control it from my living room where there wouldn't be any computer.  Just a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I saw this working one time at a job I was doing.  They had a tower in one room and were controlling it through what they said was a wireless KVM.  Tower in one room.  Monitor, keyboard, and mouse in another.

If you look at the item I linked to in my OP you will see it says it will work for this but the reviews are not so good.
Activity: 574
Merit: 500
Activity: 462
Firing it up
The easiest way is using RDP.
vip
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
I run all my windows mining rigs with TeamViewer nothing easier Smiley
Activity: 308
verified ✔
maybe a long stick

VNC or Team Viewer is easier to setup
Activity: 392
♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫
What about RDP, LogMeIn or Team Viewer?
I have my BAMT rigs in another room because of the noise and heat.  I would like to put my Windows 8 rig in the other room also.  But I use my Windows 8 rig sometimes so I would like to be able to control it from a different room.

Anyone know how to do this?  Maybe a wireless KVM or something?  I did find something that appears to work but the reviews are not good.

What I found is this.  http://www.cables4computer.com/USB_and_FireWire/Display-Dock-set_DisplayDock_Wireless_USB_Docking_Station_with_Video_for_PC.html

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Pages:
Jump to: