Pages:
Author

Topic: Anyone still GPU mining? - page 3. (Read 5543 times)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
June 06, 2013, 03:48:36 PM
I used to mine TRC for a couple of weeks at the end of April but today TRC is not as profitable as it used to be back then...
Activity: 9
June 06, 2013, 03:45:24 PM
I'm mining LTC on a couple of 5870's, thinking of updating to 7950's.  Is it worth continuing to mine with the 5870's or sell them on fleabay and put the money towards the 7950's.
Activity: 9
June 06, 2013, 03:24:13 PM
Mining for litecoins is worth it. It's a bit more profitable than Bitcoin with GPUs. I exchange them for Bitcoin whenever I have 40+ and the ratio is 0.024 or better. My rig is currently at 3MH and I'll probably add 4 more 7970s this week.

Greg
Activity: 364
Merit: 100
June 06, 2013, 03:20:04 PM
I have been mining now for a month with 2 x 9750 on Slush's pool.

Although the total has rate of the pool has increased and so the difficulty, my reward per day has increased.

Why?

Because the total has rate of the pool has increased, the pools luck and the number of blocks found per day, has increased. Although my hash rate percentage of the pool has decreased, and thus the reward per block found has decreased, I get more rewards per day due to the higher number of blocks found. I am thus getting a higher return per day.

I am not giving up on mining with a GPU. Once I can not keep up with the total pool hash rate, I am going to switch over to alternative coins.

I am not sure about the 8 minutes. The average time to find a block on Slush's pool is 1 hour. This was averaged over a day, over a period of 3 days, with an average of 17 blocks found per day.

You mean 2 x 7950, right?  Wink

I tried Slush's pool last week when I still only had one 7950, and evidently I didn't get enough shares to get any reward at all - even participating in several blocks. I switched over to Bitparking, which is working a lot better for me (other than 1 block taking over 24 hours yesterday).
Activity: 5
June 06, 2013, 02:57:19 PM
I GPU mine fastcoins.
Activity: 364
Merit: 100
June 06, 2013, 12:19:47 PM
I actually just recently got started in it. I figured I might as well do GPU mining while everyone waits for their ASIC vaporware.  Wink

I did realize that I needed at least 2 GPUs in order to make it worthwhile after the cost of power, but I still expect to have my investment returned within a couple months. For me, though, it's just the cost of the GPUs I'm worried about - I'm using an old P4 computer that didn't cost me anything.
Activity: 28
June 06, 2013, 11:03:32 AM
yep i still GPU mine
Activity: 18
June 06, 2013, 11:02:56 AM
I have been mining now for a month with 2 x 9750 on Slush's pool.

Although the total has rate of the pool has increased and so the difficulty, my reward per day has increased.

Why?

Because the total has rate of the pool has increased, the pools luck and the number of blocks found per day, has increased. Although my hash rate percentage of the pool has decreased, and thus the reward per block found has decreased, I get more rewards per day due to the higher number of blocks found. I am thus getting a higher return per day.

I am not giving up on mining with a GPU. Once I can not keep up with the total pool hash rate, I am going to switch over to alternative coins.

I am not sure about the 8 minutes. The average time to find a block on Slush's pool is 1 hour. This was averaged over a day, over a period of 3 days, with an average of 17 blocks found per day.
Activity: 22
June 06, 2013, 11:01:46 AM
GPU mining for fun and experience while waiting on ASIC to be shipped.

Even tried to mine on my laptop - i would not recommend it! DAMN it got hot Sad

GPU will probably move to LTC and other currencies and the diff for BTC will skyrocket during the next months.

It is still too low as blocks are mined every 8 minutes.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
June 06, 2013, 10:54:32 AM
It makes sense to switch to Litecoins when GPU mining and sell LTC for BTC

Or PowerCoin - it's still relatively new and mining should be easy; if the value goes up, you can exchange it for Bitcoins.
Are there any exchanges for PowerCoin?
The value of Chinacoin and Feathercoin rose the first week then it lost about 80-90 % of its value.
I dont think these altcoins will catch value if they are just copies of previous coins, they have to really make some good changes to the source code if they want to catch a bigger crowd.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
June 06, 2013, 10:51:13 AM
I got a 6870 running, but the money I get out of it aint much, maybe 20-30 $ a month. Im gonna buy a couple of ASICs pretty soon.
Activity: 56
June 06, 2013, 10:48:09 AM

Or PowerCoin - it's still relatively new and mining should be easy; if the value goes up, you can exchange it for Bitcoins.
Activity: 28
June 06, 2013, 10:46:32 AM
Yes there is plenty of GPU miners
Activity: 6
June 06, 2013, 09:20:22 AM
I agree.  LTC seems to be the way to go for GPU mining.  The currency is still very much in it's infancy and has a lot of potential to evolve.  I plan to rebuild my GPU miner and sick it on LTC very soon.  Just waiting on parts.
Activity: 5
June 06, 2013, 09:03:46 AM
Activity: 42
June 06, 2013, 07:05:18 AM
I've been mining off and on for a while and I'm running 1.5gh/s across a few different cadaver rigs I've put together random parts.  Even with the spike in difficulty making it pretty much unprofitable, I can't even think of shutting them down.  The small amount minded could be worth a great deal at some point. On the other hand, money could be put directly into purchasing bitcoin if such a huge increase in value is to be assumed.  Just wondering if any other hobby miners have thoughts on the topic. I personally enjoy tinkering with miners, which is a advantage over a buy and hold strategy.     

Doing little GPU mining. Look into alt-currencies.
Activity: 37
June 06, 2013, 06:58:01 AM
Mine BTE-s (Bytecoins) with your GPU at pool.bytecoin.in !
Activity: 27
June 06, 2013, 06:56:15 AM
I've been traveling for over a year, but when I get home I plan to set up GPU mining on my desktop with a 4 year old GTX 260 just for the experience. The computer is unstable and freezes randomly, so I'm not expecting much of a payout, or profitability... but I want to at least mine some fractions of coins!
Activity: 21
June 06, 2013, 06:36:43 AM
If you are living in the campus and don't need to pay the electric bill it's win win Smiley
staff
Activity: 3290
Merit: 4114
June 06, 2013, 06:13:56 AM
GPU mining is far more of a hobby than an investment at this point.

It seems that for everything, have you seen the difficulty jump, since the popularity of ASIC mining? It's sad really I have never really mined.
Pages:
Jump to: