Pages:
Author

Topic: Are floppy disks safe to store wallets? - page 3. (Read 6403 times)

Activity: 658
Merit: 505
September 21, 2016, 10:09:49 AM
Any external drive could be used for this purpose, not only floppy disk, right? And how safe it will be depends on you.
Activity: 244
Merit: 250
September 21, 2016, 10:07:07 AM
Off course i dont see why they are not safe you can store bitcoins where ever you want and i can tell you i trust my own floppy more than some stupid online wallets for sure!
Activity: 1260
Merit: 524
September 21, 2016, 09:56:59 AM
I was doing some cleaning on my room and I found some floppy disks,
Don't go this way, throw it away to trash can. Anybody that used it once know they could fail you in any moment in any day.
You would lost wallet then forever.

I finally decided to put some wallet copies on some of the floppy disks that were in the best condition possible, just for an experiment, let's see how much they last. I put them back into my box and we will see for how long it lasts and I hope the wallet files dont get corrupted. Obviously I have copies in better mediums of storage too so its not like im storing it all in the same place.

oh and just btw the us military uses computers from the 70's including floppy disks. oh and is not just some unimportant department dealing with miner stuff. they are in charge to coordinate the functionally of atomic bombs. and you worry about some wallet.

The floppy disk which us military uses is some other quality disk which are dat drives if i am not wrong, but what OP is telling is the local floppy disk and it is a failure method of storing in them as they can get damage even if they get fungus or dust on the disk.
Activity: 252
September 21, 2016, 09:30:05 AM
Way too hold, how will you access it in the future? Why not just use a USB that's been kept offline like most people? Is there a specific reason you want to use a floppy disk or are you just asking for kicks?
Activity: 994
Merit: 544
September 21, 2016, 09:27:10 AM
Sounds cool but I do not think it is a wise idea to store your wallet into the floppy disk.  They will work ofcourse on old computer models but the wuestion would be, how long do you think your computer will still be operational.  If it brokes and would not be able to repair you would surely find it hard to have some technician. 
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1000
September 21, 2016, 09:19:01 AM
Don't go this way, throw it away to trash can. Anybody that used it once know they could fail you in any moment in any day.

I finally decided to put some wallet copies on some of the floppy disks that were in the best condition possible, just for an experiment, let's see how much they last. I put them back into my box and we will see for how long it lasts and I hope the wallet files dont get corrupted. Obviously I have copies in better mediums of storage too so its not like im storing it all in the same place.
Really?
I also have some floppy disks in my room but i don't think that i would storing bitcoin on it, firstly my computer doesn't support it and i think it's too risky i would choose hardware wallet for storing my bitcoin, however it's ok if used your floppy disks just for an experiment, good to see you have some copies. Let's see what will happen in the future.
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
September 21, 2016, 08:21:51 AM

oh and just btw the us military uses computers from the 70's including floppy disks. oh and is not just some unimportant department dealing with miner stuff. they are in charge to coordinate the functionally of atomic bombs. and you worry about some wallet.
Activity: 82
Merit: 10
September 21, 2016, 08:16:33 AM
Seriously? I would never recommend to store your private keys in a floppy disk. There are far better options available, such as USB sticks, Blu Ray Discs and portable Hard drives. But then, what you do with your coins is your own choice. Just make multiple backups, just in case one or two of them get corrupted. Else, be prepared for heartache later.
why are usb sticks, dvds etc better than a floppy disk? the device can be damaged or lost no matter what it is. and since fewer people have access to floppy disks then usb sticks, the potential number of people who can harm you is smaller. 
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014
September 21, 2016, 08:13:10 AM

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
September 21, 2016, 08:10:39 AM

legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1138
September 21, 2016, 08:07:43 AM
I was doing some cleaning on my room and I found some floppy disks, they are around 15 years old! from the Sony brand. I don't have a floppy disk device anymore on my computer, so I used an older computer because I was curious to see if they would still work.
To my surprise, they worked and all the files were accessible.

This made me think that, you could store some Bitcoin related stuff in floppy disks too? Obviously having backups in other places too.. but floppy disks may be yet another cheap way to store files. If I put my seed key in a txt (compressed in a 7z file with a pass) and my wallet.dat file on that floppy disk, it would have lasted for 15 years. I hope that if I do this, in the next 15 years when I find the floppy disks again, I will be rich Cheesy

For  me  i would never do such thing  because in near future you would have a hard time  to open that floppy disk since in future for sure computer wont read anymore floppy disk  as i assumed. Well it would work on   90's years but  bitcoin does exist on 2009 as  far as i remember. Better not to proceed at all, you just risking your money on there. hahha
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
September 21, 2016, 07:44:52 AM
Seriously? I would never recommend to store your private keys in a floppy disk. There are far better options available, such as USB sticks, Blu Ray Discs and portable Hard drives. But then, what you do with your coins is your own choice. Just make multiple backups, just in case one or two of them get corrupted. Else, be prepared for heartache later.
Activity: 280
Merit: 253
September 21, 2016, 03:48:40 AM
Floppy disk are out dated and many computer doesn't have a floppy disk reader and all laptop don't have any floppy disk reader so what's the use of storing in floppy disk. Better store on paper or in usb pen drive
that is exactly the reason to store it on a floppy disk. if you want to store it on a floppy disk, then in order to do so you need a disk reader. just hang on to it and you will be able to read it later. and i am sure you will be able to find one in 20 years, in case yours not working anymore. and if some one tries to steal your coins the wont even bother to pick up the floppy disks unless you label them or they know what is on them.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
September 21, 2016, 03:19:32 AM
Floppy disk are out dated and many computer doesn't have a floppy disk reader and all laptop don't have any floppy disk reader so what's the use of storing in floppy disk. Better store on paper or in usb pen drive
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048
Lol, you would do better to write the plaintext key on the outside of the floppy. It's probably more durable than the magnetic film.

They also make great coasters.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009
Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse
Just have it stored properly man, after a decade or two you can sell that for probably hundreds. Just have your private key printed and stored securely.
Activity: 364
I wouldn't,  only because I don't know how durable they are in the long term.   And we're already in the long term as far as they're concerned.   No one would probably think to steal a floppy, though.
I also would not store any of my bitcoins on a old floppy disk, those things are not to trust again. They do not have much storage space on them and your files can somehow disappear on them.
Activity: 406
Haha.
I'd never recommend you to store your wallet.dat files on a floppy disk.
If you're planning to store it for a long term, Floppy disk readers would be an antique in the near future.

If I were you then I should not save my bitcoins on a floppy disk because those things are pretty old and they do not have much storage space.
I suggest that you save them on a usb stick or hard drive.
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
Floppy disks are extremely fragile and are often destroyed even when you treat them with care. That is also one of the big reasons why they are not used anymore in modern computers. Also don't see the point to use outdated floppies when there are more good options available.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
instead of a floppy disk save it on to a usb pen drive floppy disks are going way too back in the 90's and it won't be a good way to save data because they can get corrupted and damaged easily. To me it just looks like flat fragile plastic which wasn't engineered tough enough like a hard disk drive.
USB external pendrives are not good for storing sensitive data over longer periods of time either.
The problem with USB sticks is - if they are left alone without power for too long memory cells can degenerate.
If you want to keep data on your USB you have to plug it in from time to time.
Pages:
Jump to: