Pages:
Author

Topic: Are patrollers still a thing? - page 2. (Read 549 times)

copper member
Activity: 1330
Merit: 899
🖤😏
July 19, 2018, 02:14:15 AM
@theymos, please review the reports and activity of LoyceV, they are actively reporting so many newbies and bots. what you could at least do would be to grant them access to independently deal with these bots and newbie spammers. if they are doing it voluntarily then there is no harm in making them a temporary staff until you are satisfied with their performance. IMO these kind of members are an asset for this forum and you should try them out.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
July 19, 2018, 01:44:33 AM
(I saw someone say elsewhere that all mods have jurisdiction over newbies, but this isn't true.)
That might have been me, I thought this too.
legendary
Activity: 2383
Merit: 1551
dogs are cute.
July 18, 2018, 07:17:04 PM
Yes, it's the same as always. Currently there are 3 patrollers and 20 non-patroller local moderators. (I saw someone say elsewhere that all mods have jurisdiction over newbies, but this isn't true.) At some points in the past there have been more patrollers, but that's not necessarily indicative of a shortage.
Thanks. Are you going to add any more patrollers in the future?

I understand there was a newbie jail that only allowed newbies to post in the "Begginers & Help" section until they had made 5 posts and stayed logged in or browsed the forum for some specified amount of time. This might help reduce newbie spamming spree when reinstalled(or given a little tweak).
link to the post by hilariousandco : https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9707641
Newbie jail is entirely different to what is being asked here, and newbie jail is never coming back:

Limiting newbie participation is very harmful for a community. Newbie jail will never return: I consider the newbie-jail period to have been extremely damaging to the forum. When barriers to participation are too high, then the best people often just won't go to the trouble of joining, and the people who are willing to jump through the hoops are often people who aren't good for the community: people with nothing better to do, scammers, get-rick-quickers, etc. Having a permanent newbie jail policy would improve things a lot in the short-term, but would end up being a fatal poison to the community.

The low signal-to-noise is a real issue which seriously annoys me and is often on my mind. But as you mention, fixing it non-destructively is difficult.
Activity: 182
Merit: 4
July 18, 2018, 07:09:30 PM
I understand there was a newbie jail that only allowed newbies to post in the "Begginers & Help" section until they had made 5 posts and stayed logged in or browsed the forum for some specified amount of time. This might help reduce newbie spamming spree when reinstalled(or given a little tweak).
link to the post by hilariousandco : https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.9707641
administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
July 18, 2018, 07:03:51 PM
Yes, it's the same as always. Currently there are 3 patrollers and 20 non-patroller local moderators. (I saw someone say elsewhere that all mods have jurisdiction over newbies, but this isn't true.) At some points in the past there have been more patrollers, but that's not necessarily indicative of a shortage.
legendary
dogs are cute.
July 18, 2018, 06:40:18 PM
There is a button on the upper left corner called patrol.(it can be activated in settings)
I thought it was for everyone to take a look at newbies posts and report them freely if they are spam.

I didn't knew about those "patrollers"...

Personally, I think this patrol button is an interesting idea, and who is willing to help can just report there.
Yeah I know about the patrol, I believe it only shows posts made by newbies.

Patrollers were(?) a thing from the early days, and I read somewhere that it was no longer available due to some reason. I don't have a link for it,it'd be great if someone could find it.

Edit:

I found a few :

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.34734013
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/who-are-the-patrollers-928613
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 6006
bitcoindata.science
July 18, 2018, 06:28:55 PM
There is a button on the upper left corner called patrol.(it can be activated in settings)
I thought it was for everyone to take a look at newbies posts and report them freely if they are spam.

I didn't knew about those "patrollers"...

Personally, I think this patrol button is an interesting idea, and who is willing to help can just report there.
legendary
dogs are cute.
July 18, 2018, 05:49:42 PM
Patrollers are those staff members who can only moderate newbies. Correct?

But I haven't heard anything about the patrollers in a while now. Do they still act as a role in the moderation staff?

If new global mods can't be hired, patrollers can be of a major help, to handle the newbie spam problem. And there's nothing to lose for the forum and staff worthy users can help the forum. Its a Win-win scenario. Thoughts?

Edit:

Seems like patrollers still are a thing. theymos,can you explain more on this patroller thing?
Pages:
Jump to: