Pages:
Author

Topic: Are you going to keep your BTC on exchange during the upcoming forks? - page 5. (Read 2453 times)

Activity: 1246
Merit: 260
1A6nybMUHYKS6E6Z3eJFm4KpVDdev8BAJL
Bittrex and Poloniex are going to support bitcoingold after the fork, and they are going to distribute them with the users, it means that you are going to receive the equivalent of your bitcoins in btg, it is nice because i remember that in the last fork Poloniex took more than two weeks to receive the bitcoincash.
But of course not, i will hold my bitcoins in my offline wallet, because i am going to receive them in there too.
Activity: 406
Merit: 100
▰▰▰ MODULE ▰▰
The common advice for a fork is to move your money away from any online wallet and store it safely in your own wallet. And this is in fact a really good advice, because it's always safer to store your coins by yourself. But after August 1st some people who followed this advice started making angry posts about how they regret listening to it because they missed on an opportunity to sell their BCH coins while the markets were closed for deposits for that coin. This showed that holding your money on exchange is a risk that also has a potential reward - immediate access to a closed market for a forked coin.

So, I'm curious to ask traders two things:

1. Did you hold your BTC on exchange on August 1st?
2. Are you going to hold on exchange during Bitcoin Gold fork and during SegWit2x fork?

I thinks hoarding my bitcoins in this upcoming forks is the best way,because we do not know what would happen in exchange except the  transaction are  in transparent ways.
To prevent in application new technology of segWit all  we can do is be patience and wait the time that things back to normal.
Activity: 548
Merit: 251
If the exchange is transparent on the happenings regarding the fork then why not? But i would extremely recommend to keep your btc on wallet who have private keys so that we will be safe and can able to get the bitcoin gold without any hassle. And this one should really needed to do by the people so that they will not get any bad aches for doing some lazy acts during the fork.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
trading for living
The common advice for a fork is to move your money away from any online wallet and store it safely in your own wallet. And this is in fact a really good advice, because it's always safer to store your coins by yourself. But after August 1st some people who followed this advice started making angry posts about how they regret listening to it because they missed on an opportunity to sell their BCH coins while the markets were closed for deposits for that coin. This showed that holding your money on exchange is a risk that also has a potential reward - immediate access to a closed market for a forked coin.

2. Are you going to hold on exchange during Bitcoin Gold fork and during SegWit2x fork?

ayay sir, keep hold on exchange.
because 0conf is hurt when try to transfer balance  Undecided
Activity: 2408
Merit: 202
its depend but for the safety of my bitcoin i will keep it in the electrum wallet anything can happen about the hard fork my bitcoin investment are in the safe, people learn about the fast problems of bitcoin many trials for bitcoin still in strong stability.
Activity: 1330
Merit: 291

To be on a safer side I will do what i did during the last Fork in August. I left 30 percent of my Bitcoin in my account with poloniex exchange despite the warning that it is risky to leave your Bitcoin with an exchange or save in an online wallet, and at the end I was comperciated.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Yes, I want to keep my Bitcoin on the exchange during the upcoming hardfork. At the previous hardfork I kept my Bitcoin in Bittrex. Bittrex support harfork. And it gave me BCC into my Bittrex wallet.
I agree with you . Bittrex is the best exchange I know because this exchange is easier to use than other exchanges and is my main wallet every time my trade. I think the next Hardfork event Bittrex will give everyone BTG
Activity: 602
I am a professional Web Designer and Developer
Yes, I want to keep my Bitcoin on the exchange during the upcoming hardfork. At the previous hardfork I kept my Bitcoin in Bittrex. Bittrex support harfork. And it gave me BCC into my Bittrex wallet.
Activity: 490
Last forks, I did not hold my bitcoin because I do not have one because I withdraw all my money. But since I have in some exchanges I will rather because I bought some token and waiting to make profit from it. Whatever happens to forks I won't act to sell my bitcoin because I knew it will not be easily gone. Besides, it is so little portion of my money been there.

I have some question, the one that I have in the exchanges is not bitcoin but altcoins. Will it be included in the said fork or it is only intended for bitcoin?
Activity: 952
Merit: 250
It's better to store your bitcoin which you hold your own private key better to safe than sorry. On last fork i withdraw some of my btc and luckily bittrex support bch
Activity: 924
Merit: 511
It is really unsafe to hold your bitcoins at exchanges because sometimes you are beneath their consideration of distribution.
They don't give you early access to avail forked currency.  You can simply choose a safet online wallet which has previous good record on bitcoin cash fork.
At the time of bitcoin cash fork, i used xapo wallet, still holding some more for next fork.
copper member
Activity: 1050
Merit: 294

It is a quite bad idea to hold your funds on exchnages whether there is a fork or not, exchanges are not safe at all.
No i didn't hold my BTC on the last fork because it was not safe, although many of the exchanges were offering BCC with BTC on the last fork.
The upcomig Bitcoin Gold fork is weak and don't have any well support as like BCC, so it seems that there isn't any benefit of holding your funds on exchnages.
Activity: 882
Merit: 282

During the last August hard fork, I transferred most of my coins from exchangers and keep them in my wallet. But the few I left in exchangers really appreciate and I regret ever transfer my coins then. This time around I am going to live my coins in exchangers and even transfer more from my wallet to exchangers platforms. I see that the exchangers reward all their customers who lives they coins in exchangers with free coins. I believe that during the split bitcoin will be pump because of this free coins and I will like to take advantage of it.
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427
I will in this case (referring to the split of this month). Current market is bouncing up and down a lot, which for a trader is a welcome happening. I am however not sure what I am going to do at the time the hard fork in November will kick in. Sure, there will be a whole lot of volatility due to the uncertainties, but the overall security/safety of my coins has the highest possible priority. Segwit2x, if the hard fork indeed turns out to happen, then it won't be the same as Bitcoin Cash and Bitcoin Gold at all - this will have far more potentially negative consequences than most of the people here realize.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148

Exactly. Because its not clear in the beginning if the exchanges are going to support Bitcoin Cash then. So just like everybody else, I store my coins to a wallet that I have total control of my private keys. Last time I checked, they are going to support Bitcoin Gold so its gonna be free coins for me. However, I'm still contemplating on storing my coins to take advantage of the upcoming split. Still few days to go before I make my decision, so let's see.

All or almost all exchanges made their statements regarding BCH many days before Auguest 1st, so there was plenty of time to prepare. The advantage of storing your coins on exchange was not clear before the august 1st and many people viewed it as unnecessary risk. But forks can be different from each other and it is also unclear now whether it's a good idea to store your coins on exchange during SegWit2x fork - this is why I created this thread, so traders can share their opinions.

It was not clear though during the Aug 1 split and there was a lot of confusion and chaos and the aftermath shows a lot of people gets angry for not getting free coins. And the fear that you are going to lose your bitcoin if you put it all everything in a exchange. But the Oct. 25 is clearer now. Are you going to make the same mistakes again?

People were angry not because they didn't get free coins, but because they were unable to sell their free coins on closed market when the price was pumped just as soon as the trading started. Specifically, the price reached as high as 0.25 BTC or even more (I don't remember exactly), but when deposits were opened, the price crashed to 0.07-0.09.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
Cold storage for sure
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
I would keep my Bitcoin,
Some trading platform would support it,
So I sent it there. No messy.

Just sit down waiting foor it,
Later I can buy very very cheap coin
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179
It depends. If we look at Bittrex, they enabled BCC trading very soon after BCC became a completely separately operating altcoin, where people had the chance to cash out at insane levels.

I expect the same to happen where initially the price jumps up to unreasonably high levels, where after deposits become available, the coin will literally plummet as a rock to the bottom, which is understandable.

I think I will have like 2 or 3BTC on exchange to hopefully benefit from the extreme shortage of Bitcoin Gold coins due to deposits not being available yet ~ I fully understand and accept all involved risks.
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Not sure,
Altcoins are falling and it seems the best time to buy,
I am also considering the forking,
I ll check this forum,
I am just newbie and bery curios to know which better.
Activity: 2366
Merit: 332
I don't have much to transfer to exchange, so I guess whatever I have will be on my wallet and I think it is even better for me that way to avoid any misses.
Pages:
Jump to: