Pages:
Author

Topic: Are you going to keep your BTC on exchange during the upcoming forks? - page 6. (Read 2453 times)

Activity: 2702
Merit: 716
Nothing lasts forever
The simplest answer would be if the Exchange supports the coin then it won't be any problem to deposit the coins on it to receive the free coins.
Yes I did stored my coins on Bittrex while the August 1st fork happened and I did receive the BCH but at that time bittrex had already announced that it will be supporting the fork. But there has been no announcement made yet from Bittrex whereas Yobit has said that they will be supporting the fork.
Really a tough decision as what to do.
Activity: 882
Merit: 269
I could have taken advantage of the split's coin in august this year but because of the  little knowledge about how things work I miss during that time. However this time around I am going to keep all my coins in three exchangers platforms that I trust in other to take advantage of the hardfork and splitting coin. I have find out that no exchangers has run away with any body coins during splitting since inception and I am ready to stay with that.
Activity: 686
Merit: 250
The common advice for a fork is to move your money away from any online wallet and store it safely in your own wallet. And this is in fact a really good advice, because it's always safer to store your coins by yourself. But after August 1st some people who followed this advice started making angry posts about how they regret listening to it because they missed on an opportunity to sell their BCH coins while the markets were closed for deposits for that coin. This showed that holding your money on exchange is a risk that also has a potential reward - immediate access to a closed market for a forked coin.

So, I'm curious to ask traders two things:

1. Did you hold your BTC on exchange on August 1st?
2. Are you going to hold on exchange during Bitcoin Gold fork and during SegWit2x fork?

I have some BTC on my own wallet, but also a small trading stash on various exchanges. What i did was keep it in exchanges that previously stated that they would credit the forked tokens as well in case of BTC cash. They actually did and all wen´t well. So my trading stash will be kept on exchanges while im tradind despite forks or no forks.
Activity: 2520
Merit: 624
The previous fork, I only received a portion of what I'm supposed to get, and that's because I kept my coins on an exchange that doesn't fully support the split during that time. A month later, they decided to give their users their share of the split during that day's conversion rate. It was unfair, but at least they have given something to their customers. I'm not making the same mistake again and I'll keep my own coins in my own wallet to take advantage of the upcoming split.

More like once "beaten twice shy ". Your response have taught me something. I have to follow in the holding too because I do desire to get some of that benefit but don't know how the advantage will be, is it going to be like percentage or something....
Activity: 1260
Merit: 524
During last hardfork August 1st i kept small portion of bitcoin in yobit and other wallet and main bitcoin balance was in desktop wallet, as soon as the hardfork happened i immediately received BCC/BCH coins in exchange like yobit and was able to sell them on high rate but i was not able to claim my hardfork coins for bitcoins kept in desktop wallet due to risk of getting the wallet hacked and have to create new wallet and i dont want to take risk. So this time i am thinking of transferring all my bitcoins to yobit wallet and as soon as hardfork happen i will withdraw it and just sell the hardfork coins at high rate.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1353
The previous fork, I only received a portion of what I'm supposed to get, and that's because I kept my coins on an exchange that doesn't fully support the split during that time. A month later, they decided to give their users their share of the split during that day's conversion rate. It was unfair, but at least they have given something to their customers. I'm not making the same mistake again and I'll keep my own coins in my own wallet to take advantage of the upcoming split.

Exactly. Because its not clear in the beginning if the exchanges are going to support Bitcoin Cash then. So just like everybody else, I store my coins to a wallet that I have total control of my private keys. Last time I checked, they are going to support Bitcoin Gold so its gonna be free coins for me. However, I'm still contemplating on storing my coins to take advantage of the upcoming split. Still few days to go before I make my decision, so let's see.

The common advice for a fork is to move your money away from any online wallet and store it safely in your own wallet. And this is in fact a really good advice, because it's always safer to store your coins by yourself. But after August 1st some people who followed this advice started making angry posts about how they regret listening to it because they missed on an opportunity to sell their BCH coins while the markets were closed for deposits for that coin. This showed that holding your money on exchange is a risk that also has a potential reward - immediate access to a closed market for a forked coin.

It was not clear though during the Aug 1 split and there was a lot of confusion and chaos and the aftermath shows a lot of people gets angry for not getting free coins. And the fear that you are going to lose your bitcoin if you put it all everything in a exchange. But the Oct. 25 is clearer now. Are you going to make the same mistakes again?
Activity: 1274
Merit: 263
actually it's all depend on the trader themself,
what they want to choose,hold it by themself or store it in there.
we should know a fact what will happen if you are storing your coin on exchanger.
1.You do not own your private keys,it's needed to get an access to your clone coin after the split
2.Even if they support it,they will delay it due to some reason.
when the trade is live,they will 'hostage' your clone for sometime until the price is 'stabilize' aka 'down'.
(it it's for them who's supporting it).
3.You will get nothing if they did not support it.

the wisest way that we need to do is store it and keep it by ourself,
because nobody will keep your money without any benefit for themself.

mk4
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 3873
Paldo.io 🤖
Nope. Because leaving funds on exchanges are really unsafe. Also, whether or not there's an upcoming fork or not, it's always best to leave your funds on your own wallet.

2. Are you going to hold on exchange during Bitcoin Gold fork and during SegWit2x fork?
Nope. Why? Same answer as my first answer. Also, it takes time for exchanges to give you access to your forked coins. Sometimes they don't even give you access, depending on the exchange.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 2148

So, I'm curious to ask traders two things:

Pages:
Jump to: