Pages:
Author

Topic: Are You Spending Bitcoin? - page 5. (Read 8499 times)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
September 02, 2014, 11:39:57 PM
spent over 80+ btc on altcoins -_-
I don't think this so much counts as spending your bitcoin, but is rather speculating that the price of a scamcoin will increase.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1001
September 02, 2014, 11:35:13 PM
I am spending bitcoin. I try to use bitcoin as traditional currency. It is the way it suppose to be in my opinion. Not stacking it and waiting for higher price...
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
September 02, 2014, 11:25:11 PM
I'm not really spending them anymore. I spent a lot of them monthly when I was mining Bitcoin. I paid as many of the mining bills as I could using Bitcoin. I even bought box fans to blow on the mining rigs using an Amazon gift card from SpendBitcoins. Now that I don't mine anymore I hold them. I know I should spend them and replace the ones used but that's too much of a hassle and I'm lazy.
Coinbase has a feature that is called something along the lines of spend and recharge. It allows you to buy something with bitcoin in your coinbase account from a merchant that accepts bitcoin then coinbase will purchase an equal amount of bitcoin for you (debiting your bank account) so you end up with the same amount of bitcoin.

I think this is actually quite smart on their end because they would be making two fees, one from you repurchasing the bitcoin from them and one from the merchant.

Yeah, that whole "debiting your bank account" isn't working for me. I don't trust companies that have been around for 40 years to automatically debit my account. I'm certainly not going to trust two kids that have been running a Bitcoin business out of an apartment in San Francisco for a year and a half.
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
September 02, 2014, 10:08:14 PM
I just read this:
http://www.finance-guy.net/finblog/how-will-you-spend-your-bitcoin/10/8/2014

It raises an interesting point that if we spend Bitcoin to buy stuff, the companies will most likely sell the BTC pretty quickly.

What do you think?

Will shopping with Bitcoin be good or bad for the price of BTC?

it is definitely good for the price, i mean it will affect other people' s opinion towards BTC, and push the government to accept it further,
meanwhile it will promote the popularity of BTC, which is quite good for raising the price of BTC.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
September 02, 2014, 10:06:18 PM
I'm not really spending them anymore. I spent a lot of them monthly when I was mining Bitcoin. I paid as many of the mining bills as I could using Bitcoin. I even bought box fans to blow on the mining rigs using an Amazon gift card from SpendBitcoins. Now that I don't mine anymore I hold them. I know I should spend them and replace the ones used but that's too much of a hassle and I'm lazy.
Coinbase has a feature that is called something along the lines of spend and recharge. It allows you to buy something with bitcoin in your coinbase account from a merchant that accepts bitcoin then coinbase will purchase an equal amount of bitcoin for you (debiting your bank account) so you end up with the same amount of bitcoin.

I think this is actually quite smart on their end because they would be making two fees, one from you repurchasing the bitcoin from them and one from the merchant.
Activity: 672
Merit: 253
September 02, 2014, 08:15:32 PM
It will be bad for the price of Bitcoin, but it's important that people spend anyways. This is what will continue to get businesses to accept it and make people want to keep working on it.
Activity: 6
September 02, 2014, 07:29:46 PM
Yes paying webhosting services Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
September 02, 2014, 07:28:17 PM
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
Look ARROUND!
September 02, 2014, 07:19:17 PM
spent over 80+ btc on altcoins -_-
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
September 02, 2014, 01:55:01 PM
The last BTC that I spent was to purchase a Trezor bitcoin wallet.   I think I am going to purchase another one shortly.   If something happens to my current one, I don't want to have to order one then, and then wait a few weeks and all that...

I know I can load it into wallet32 or whatever, but I would rather just reboot onto another Trezor
Activity: 84
September 02, 2014, 01:17:20 PM
People will spend their Bitcoin when it goes higher, so you don't feel like you are wasting money. We need whales to help us with this.
Activity: 111
September 02, 2014, 10:57:13 AM
I just read this:

It raises an interesting point that if we spend Bitcoin to buy stuff, the companies will most likely sell the BTC pretty quickly.

What do you think?

People are more likely to hold and collect bitcoin rather than spending into shopping
Activity: 44
September 02, 2014, 10:33:20 AM
I just bought 3 BTC from some one via IRC and I intend to buy sold gold and a cassacius coin. I can't spell it haha. I have been on a bitcoin break for a few months but I am back and want a coin!
Activity: 14
September 02, 2014, 10:27:04 AM
I haven't spent my bitcoins but I plan to buy something with them the next year.
X7
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1009
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone
September 02, 2014, 10:22:52 AM
I just read this:

What do you think?

Yes of course I spend my Bitcoin. I like the idea of this wonderful currency a lot and I want to spread it even further! I think it is very important to do this! It is true that most companies may sell the BTC directly via BitPay or some other payment processor, yet, there are most likely big whales who buy those BTC instantly, because they're supposed to have contracts with those payment processors, as far as I know. So there's not much pressure on the markets (maybe only a slightly more limited demand)

Actually, I think the bitpay model of instantly converting to fiat is good for bitcoin. It adds liquidity to the market.

I might also argue that this is exactly what bitcoin is intended for... to be used as a means of transferring wealth. NOT as a store of value. It should not matter if bitcoin is $10 or $10,000. It's usefulness and desirability don't rely on its fiat value, but rather on the features that differentiate it from other forms of currency.

Though you state some good points, I would have to disagree on it NOT being a long term store of value.
legendary
Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047
September 02, 2014, 09:43:59 AM

What's wrong with that? Money just changes hands, from the customer to another one that buys them from the store. Even if it was destroyed, it would just make the rest of the supply more valuable. Being able to use bitcoins in as many places as possible, and as easy as possible, is what makes it valuable. If everyone just kept their coins, its purchasing power would plummet.
Activity: 756
Merit: 251
Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit
September 02, 2014, 03:47:08 AM
i always use it to buy humble bundle
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
September 02, 2014, 03:45:14 AM
Of course, I spend them when I feel a bear phase is coming though, so I can buy them again later.
Activity: 298
Merit: 250
Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th
September 02, 2014, 03:38:10 AM
I just read this:

What do you think?

Yes of course I spend my Bitcoin. I like the idea of this wonderful currency a lot and I want to spread it even further! I think it is very important to do this! It is true that most companies may sell the BTC directly via BitPay or some other payment processor, yet, there are most likely big whales who buy those BTC instantly, because they're supposed to have contracts with those payment processors, as far as I know. So there's not much pressure on the markets (maybe only a slightly more limited demand)

Actually, I think the bitpay model of instantly converting to fiat is good for bitcoin. It adds liquidity to the market.

I might also argue that this is exactly what bitcoin is intended for... to be used as a means of transferring wealth. NOT as a store of value. It should not matter if bitcoin is $10 or $10,000. It's usefulness and desirability don't rely on its fiat value, but rather on the features that differentiate it from other forms of currency.
Activity: 112
September 02, 2014, 03:32:29 AM
Is gambling considered as spending bitcoin? Well yes I do then.  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: