Pages:
Author

Topic: Are you willing to go above and beyond at work - page 2. (Read 1367 times)

Activity: 202
Merit: 100
this may include anything ranging from putting in some extra hours without pay, help to finish work not in your job description, etc.

let's assume this is a white collar office job.

Yes, if boss say so...
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
et rich or die tryi
It depends, if I'm really into the project or feel like it i will, the majority of the time though i get payed for any and all overtime work i do so that's cool.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
What about jobs where it is slow and there is only so much you can do?

I often go above and beyond at work, however there are days were it is so quiet and there is so little to do...you really just sort of sit there and cruise the internet..
legendary
Activity: 1148
No. Having well defined job responsibilities and schedules are crucial to the proper functioning of the system. When you go above and beyond, you allow for emotions to creep in.
Emotions are chaotic and will always come in the way of clockwork efficiency. Building reputation this way will always be at the expense of the system, weakening it considerably in the long term.
Activity: 448
Well, since I haven't worked at a place I didn't own for about 25 years, I have to go with yes. Before that, I worked for the place I bought, so...yeah.
legendary
Activity: 1316
this may include anything ranging from putting in some extra hours without pay, help to finish work not in your job description, etc.

Depends, if i see it as helping myself or humanity (in my vision of humanity) then yes im willing to put in "extra".

If not then its just wasted time and you are being scammed by employer Smiley
Activity: 994
Merit: 441
Depends on if you see yourself staying at that company for the next 10 years.If yes, absolutely - you want to have the reputation of the guy that gets things done.
Activity: 350
I'm a blue collar, and in my experience, the people who go above and beyond the bosses expectations are the people who get ahead in the company.

Sorry, I know you said assume we are white collar, but I don't think it makes a difference.
Activity: 364

Pages:
Jump to: