Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory 0.96.3 released - page 8. (Read 15542 times)

Activity: 147
Merit: 100
Do you like fire? I'm full of it.
September 23, 2017, 07:27:43 AM
I have completely deleted the blockchain, let 14.0.2 redownload all of it which took over a day, let ArmoryDB rebuild its database, and when I launch Qt I get the Same Old issue. Yes I am on 0.96.3 now, and nothing's changed. Really, bitcoind seems to be behaving fine, and ADB is also building up its database normally, I'd wager the issue is with Qt.

EDIT:

I went ahead and I moved the wallets away from ArmoryQt's folder, and deleted the settings file. Started fresh with a new wallet. The issue remains UNCHANGED.

When not using any wallet, the Qt shows Connected and correct number of blocks loaded, and keeps up to date. The problem always seems to appear when having to do anything with scanning transaction history, which never goes ahead. Qt will also close normally when there is no history to scan, as opposed to when there is, in which case it will seem to operate normally right up to being Quit, at which point it will freeze up and require forced termination.

Rechap:

Core 0.14.0.2 - fresh everything - 1.5 days old (I even deleted peers.dat, banlist.dat etc.)
ArmoryDB - fresh everything(including old files deleted and replaced before this update) - few hours old
Qt - same as DB, with fresh config as of - 30min ago

Huh

EDIT2:

I updated Core to 1.15.0.1. No dice. So what I have is, whenever Qt launches and connects to ArmoryDB, ADB's log gets this:

Code:
-INFO  - 16:56:45.234: (..\BDM_Server.cpp:1114) registered bdv: 9763f8e6ac8df2c46d7a
-INFO  - 16:56:45.406: (..\BDM_supportClasses.cpp:401) Starting address registration process

Nothing more follows. From what I see it's supposed to start showing "Scanned from height #" events as it processes the blockchain. It does not proceed. Yet the blockchain is loaded properly enough to actually exist in bitcoind, up to date, and with no errors reported by it. The blockchain is also loaded properly enough by DB to build its database out of it. Then when Qt wants to scan an address, suddenly it cannot load it?

bitcoind - all ok, downloaded blockchain up to date, maintaining it, no errors in log
armorydb - all ok, log shows loading all blk files up to date, no errors reported
amroryqt - requests history for wallet, armorydb chokes on the request, qt cannot find/load blockchain - SAME WITH FRESH CONFIG AND NEW EMPTY CLEAN WALLET

What gives?
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
September 22, 2017, 03:03:19 PM
Also, goatpig didn't explicitly mention this but I believe this will fix the issues people were seeing when they ran Core 0.15.0.1 (i.e., the ones where goatpig told them to go back to 0.15). If you're still having issues, post your logs!
Yes, it does fix that problem, hence that one line under "== Fixed =="
Activity: 525
Merit: 282
September 22, 2017, 03:00:09 PM
FYI, this version of Armory is the last one built to run on OS X 10.7. Starting with 0.96.4, you'll have to roll your own version if you insist on running Armory on 10.7. Long & technical story short, Armory uses code that can have issues on 10.7. Supporting 10.7 made it more difficult for people on more recent versions to compile the code. So, 10.7 is out the door.

Also, goatpig didn't explicitly mention this but I believe this will fix the issues people were seeing when they ran Core 0.15.0.1 (i.e., the ones where goatpig told them to go back to 0.15). If you're still having issues, post your logs!

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1345
Armory Developer
September 22, 2017, 01:04:05 PM
Notes

This is a point release to fix a vulnerability with fragmented backups. If you are using fragmented backups on for your wallets, read the dedicated topic:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/fragmented-backups-vulnerability-if-you-use-them-read-this-2199659

Binaries

https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/releases/tag/v0.96.3

Changelog

== Vulnerability Fix ==
   - Fragmented backups were using a faulty implementation of Shamir's Secret Sharing (SSS).
     One of the requirement of SSS security parameters is that the coefficients of the curve are chozen randomly. The implementation
     up to this point was deriving these coefficients deterministically.

- While it is hard to determine how far the deterministic coefficient generation erodes the security of SSS, and how exploitable
     the vulnerability is, the recommendation for users of fragmented backups is to treat the wallets backed up in this fashion as
     compromised and to migrate all funds to a new wallet.

- The fragmented backup code now properly randomizes the SSS coefficients. Fragmented backups created with version 0.96.3 and later
     are safe to use.

- The result of this change is that fragmented backups will no longer be deterministic. The previous behavior guaranteed a given
     wallet will always return the same set of fragments for a given M-of-N scheme. Since it deteriorates SSS security properties,
     the behavior has to be rolled back.
   - Fragment sets are now generated randomly, therefor an unique ID has been added to each set to identify them. You cannot mix
     and match sets.
   - While Armory can no longer generate deterministic fragments, it can still restore wallets from deterministic fragments.

- Many thanks to Gregory Maxwell ([email protected]) for identifying and reporting the vulnerability as well as reviewing the fix.

== Fixed ==
   - Fixed faulty version packet deserialization revealed by Core 0.15.0.1
Pages:
Jump to: