Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 210. (Read 521749 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
March 21, 2012, 05:19:26 PM
And while a mac mini may be more pricey than some other PCs.  Try to find a computer that size with an internal power supply, a core i5, thunderbolt, wireless N, the best customer support, etc.  It's not as expensive as it looks when you look at what you are actually buying.

Red Emerald,

I totally appreciate the "value" of a Mac, and what you pay for.  But value is relative to the person getting it.  I have absolutely no use for the Mac except to compile binaries on it then go back to my hex-core, 16 GB RAM, dual 1920x1200 monitor desktop to continue developing stuff.  I don't really care how amazing it is, because I know I can execute my one mission (compiling binaries) on a used system.   Maybe one day I'll be bored and decide to spend more time digging into it... but it's not that time yet.

I will explore the VM options, first, then consider a physical system.  It sounds like others have experience with the VM approach, so many they could email me and help me out Wink  After all, there's a reason I have 16 GB of RAM in the first place:  to run lots of VMs.  I don't know what you mean by "borrow" a system, if I go with a physical one, I don't want to have to return it.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 21, 2012, 04:32:12 PM
i have an old macbook i'd be willing to donate if you'll pay shipping.  2 in fact.

edit:  you know kids these days; gotta have the latest.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
March 21, 2012, 12:25:47 PM
You don't have to worry about 32 vs 64 bit with Mac.  All of them have been 64 bit for a while now.

And while a mac mini may be more pricey than some other PCs.  Try to find a computer that size with an internal power supply, a core i5, thunderbolt, wireless N, the best customer support, etc.  It's not as expensive as it looks when you look at what you are actually buying.

I may be able to setup a legal VM for you.  Actually, I may be able to borrow a previous-gen mac mini from a friend. I'll PM you when I know more.
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 1722
March 21, 2012, 07:21:24 AM
Try either OS X on a VM or Hackintosh, Macs are waaay overpriced but it is because so many people are willing to buy it (convincing marketing?) Cpt. Obvious i know
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
March 20, 2012, 11:59:20 PM

I've tried to set up an OSX VM no less than 3 times, but it's never worked.  I just don't have the touch (they're very finnicky, because of strict hardware specs).  Though if it does work, there's no reason the compiled binaries wouldn't work.  That's how I compile the Windows binaries...

Maybe I should just convince my girlfriend her laptop is crappy and she would looove a new mac mini!  "It's so cute!  And you totally make enough money to afford it...."

If anyone can help me out with this, please email me.  Either used hardware you could send me, help setting up a VM, or other ideas...
(etotheipi a t g mail com)

I'm pretty sure I used this (http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-install-os-x-snow-leopard-in-vmware-windows-7-9140301/) when I did it.  That's obviously an older version of OSX, but if that doesn't matter then give it a crack Smiley
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 20, 2012, 10:56:30 PM
Well this is kinda OT, but if you buy a mac, I HIGHLY recommend you buy it from apple.  Apple has the best customer service for computers by far and if you buy from craigslist or some 3rd party, you don't get that.

Mac minis start at $599.  All you'll need after that is a monitor that supports HDMI or DVI.

That's pretty heavy for a computer I'm not ever going to really use.  I basically anticipate only compiling binaries on it... and if I have to do multiple versions (like 32-bit and 64-bit), I might need a second one.  I really want the cheapest I can get, I'm not too concerned about warranty service.  Even if one dies and i have to get another, it was still cheaper to get each for $200 each than pay $600 for one.

Rather than buy a Mac just for compiling sake, could you not just set up a couple of virtual machines running OSX (or whatever it's called nowadays) on your Windows box?    I know it's possible as I did it myself a while ago, although I'm not sure if that messes anything up with regards to compiling to be honest.

I've tried to set up an OSX VM no less than 3 times, but it's never worked.  I just don't have the touch (they're very finnicky, because of strict hardware specs).  Though if it does work, there's no reason the compiled binaries wouldn't work.  That's how I compile the Windows binaries...

Maybe I should just convince my girlfriend her laptop is crappy and she would looove a new mac mini!  "It's so cute!  And you totally make enough money to afford it...."

If anyone can help me out with this, please email me.  Either used hardware you could send me, help setting up a VM, or other ideas...
(etotheipi a t g mail com)
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
March 20, 2012, 10:11:08 PM
Well this is kinda OT, but if you buy a mac, I HIGHLY recommend you buy it from apple.  Apple has the best customer service for computers by far and if you buy from craigslist or some 3rd party, you don't get that.

Mac minis start at $599.  All you'll need after that is a monitor that supports HDMI or DVI.

That's pretty heavy for a computer I'm not ever going to really use.  I basically anticipate only compiling binaries on it... and if I have to do multiple versions (like 32-bit and 64-bit), I might need a second one.  I really want the cheapest I can get, I'm not too concerned about warranty service.  Even if one dies and i have to get another, it was still cheaper to get each for $200 each than pay $600 for one.

Rather than buy a Mac just for compiling sake, could you not just set up a couple of virtual machines running OSX (or whatever it's called nowadays) on your Windows box?    I know it's possible as I did it myself a while ago, although I'm not sure if that messes anything up with regards to compiling to be honest.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 20, 2012, 09:10:32 PM
Well this is kinda OT, but if you buy a mac, I HIGHLY recommend you buy it from apple.  Apple has the best customer service for computers by far and if you buy from craigslist or some 3rd party, you don't get that.

Mac minis start at $599.  All you'll need after that is a monitor that supports HDMI or DVI.

That's pretty heavy for a computer I'm not ever going to really use.  I basically anticipate only compiling binaries on it... and if I have to do multiple versions (like 32-bit and 64-bit), I might need a second one.  I really want the cheapest I can get, I'm not too concerned about warranty service.  Even if one dies and i have to get another, it was still cheaper to get each for $200 each than pay $600 for one.
March 20, 2012, 08:27:32 PM
I wish I could find the email, but Thunderbird search is failing me...

Someone emailed me a month ago to tell me that the directions on the Building Armory from Source page worked flawlessly on his OSX installation except for one line:

Code:
/usr/local/share/python/easy_install-2.7 twisted
 (just needed to add the abs path to the easy_install)

I updated it in the build instructions, but never followed up with anyone else about it.  I guess that's not the case for everyone (anyone?).  I would track down the email but I remember that's all he said.  And I still don't have any Mac/OSX system on which to try it (and even if I did, I'm not sure I would know how).  I guess I'm going to need to get a Mac system, do it myself, and then compile binaries... but Macs are expensive...

I think that person was using snow leopard.  I used the linked directions on my Lion system and had no luck.

With lots of fuxing around, I got it to this:

$ python ArmoryQt.py
********************************************************************************
Loading Armory Engine:
   Armory Version:       0.55
   PyBtcAddress Version: 1.00
   PyBtcWallet  Version: 1.35
Detected Operating system: Mac/OSX
   User home-directory   : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support
   Satoshi BTC directory : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/
   Satoshi blk0001.dat   : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/blk0001.dat
   Armory home dir       : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Armory/
Fatal Python error: Interpreter not initialized (version mismatch?)
Abort trap: 6

Perhaps it's worth starting a separate Armory+OSX thread in the Alt Clients subforum.  Mainly because I have absolutely no experience with OSX at all.  I've never even touched an OSX machine.  And at the moment, I couldn't dig into it even if I wanted to (no access to such a machine).

On the other hand, if others dig in and have a place to discuss it, I will happily offer as much assistance as I can, and then I'll have some place to go when I finally do get my hands on such a machine, and maybe it'll soften the blow for me to get into it...

On that note, if I were to start searching craigslist or ebay for a Mac, what should I get?  Presumably, something "relevant" but not anywhere near top-of-the-line, either.  I would probably start on it, myself, when I am finished with RAM-reduction, so I especially don't need anything too powerful.

legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 20, 2012, 08:03:46 PM

Someone emailed me a month ago to tell me that the directions on the Building Armory from Source page worked flawlessly on his OSX installation except for one line:

Code:

I updated it in the build instructions, but never followed up with anyone else about it.  I guess that's not the case for everyone (anyone?).  I would track down the email but I remember that's all he said.  And I still don't have any Mac/OSX system on which to try it (and even if I did, I'm not sure I would know how).  I guess I'm going to need to get a Mac system, do it myself, and then compile binaries... but Macs are expensive...

I think that person was using snow leopard.  I used the linked directions on my Lion system and had no luck.

$ python ArmoryQt.py
********************************************************************************
Loading Armory Engine:
   Satoshi blk0001.dat   : /Users/bwstitt/Library/Application Support/Bitcoin/blk0001.dat

Perhaps it's worth starting a separate Armory+OSX thread in the Alt Clients subforum.  Mainly because I have absolutely no experience with OSX at all.  I've never even touched an OSX machine.  And at the moment, I couldn't dig into it even if I wanted to (no access to such a machine).

On the other hand, if others dig in and have a place to discuss it, I will happily offer as much assistance as I can, and then I'll have some place to go when I finally do get my hands on such a machine, and maybe it'll soften the blow for me to get into it...

On that note, if I were to start searching craigslist or ebay for a Mac, what should I get?  Presumably, something "relevant" but not anywhere near top-of-the-line, either.  I would probably start on it, myself, when I am finished with RAM-reduction, so I especially don't need anything too powerful.

March 20, 2012, 07:32:34 PM

Code:

$ python ArmoryQt.py
Loading Armory Engine:
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 20, 2012, 07:27:59 PM

Code:

I updated it in the build instructions, but never followed up with anyone else about it.  I guess that's not the case for everyone (anyone?).  I would track down the email but I remember that's all he said.  And I still don't have any Mac/OSX system on which to try it (and even if I did, I'm not sure I would know how).  I guess I'm going to need to get a Mac system, do it myself, and then compile binaries... but Macs are expensive...
March 20, 2012, 07:21:30 PM
If I only I could manage to build it on OS X...
Yeah. I had no luck either.

brew failed me for the first time Cry
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
March 20, 2012, 06:50:53 PM
If I only I could manage to build it on OS X...
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 19, 2012, 09:13:42 PM
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 19, 2012, 08:21:12 PM
I'm all out of bugs to report Cheesy.

What a shame...
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1008
March 19, 2012, 08:17:11 PM
Ah, yes, of course. That was it. I was not on master. I think I switched to another branch at some point to check out the EC calculation stuff. All is well Smiley.

I bet that's why message verification failed, too! (from a previous message you posted in the thread)

Now that you have the updated version, try it again:  http://cloud.github.com/downloads/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/Armory_0.56_sig_block.txt
I already tried it previous to upgrading, and it worked then. So I expect it to work now as well.

I'm all out of bugs to report Cheesy.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 19, 2012, 07:56:06 PM
Okay, I got enough feedback and done my own testing to have confidence in releasing

Armory Version 0.60:  with migrate Satoshi-wallet feature

This is the last version increment before RAM-reduction!  In the near future, I have to sort out rewards for crowdfunding donors, and finally implement a once-and-for-all memory overhaul that will let Armory run on just about any system.   This is becoming critical, since it seems the size of the blockchain is accelerating, and soon 4GB of RAM might not even be enough for 0.60-alpha!

As for 0.60, I'll repeat the previous warning:  if your Satoshi wallet was ever touched by the 0.6.0+ Satoshi client, do not use the wallet-import feature.  The only difference between this version and the release copy is that I added a message-box warning before the migrate window opens, giving you a chance to bail before being tempted to try.  I don't know the true consequences of trying to import compressed public keys into an Armory wallet, but I guarantee you won't get what you wanted!

This means that if you have any wallets you want to convert, please convert them now.  Of course, you can always start a new wallet and send the funds to it from the Satoshi client (which I recommend anyway), but the migration feature will need an upgrade after the community moves onto 0.6.0.

legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 19, 2012, 05:50:34 PM
Ah, yes, of course. That was it. I was not on master. I think I switched to another branch at some point to check out the EC calculation stuff. All is well Smiley.

I bet that's why message verification failed, too! (from a previous message you posted in the thread)

Now that you have the updated version, try it again:  http://cloud.github.com/downloads/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/Armory_0.56_sig_block.txt
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1008
March 19, 2012, 12:40:36 AM
Jump to: