Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 38. (Read 521749 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 2
July 20, 2014, 08:12:41 AM

My understanding is that to broadcast the signed tx, you need to load Armory with at least a WO copy of the corresponding wallet

Why is a WO copy of the corresponding wallet needed? Isn't it identical to a situation where I have a signed check and I can cash it in any branch? Is it security related?
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
July 19, 2014, 06:37:10 PM
If I have signed a transaction on an offline computer - can I take the signed file and broadcast it from any Armory installation that's online, or must it be from the one that initiated the transaction?

AFAIK, any online Armory can broadcast it, although it may tell you it doesn't control the accompanying public key and then ask if you want to proceed. Somebody else will have to confirm.

My understanding is that to broadcast the signed tx, you need to load Armory with at least a WO copy of the corresponding wallet
Activity: 255
Merit: 250
Senior Developer - Armory
July 19, 2014, 01:35:21 PM
If I have signed a transaction on an offline computer - can I take the signed file and broadcast it from any Armory installation that's online, or must it be from the one that initiated the transaction?

AFAIK, any online Armory can broadcast it, although it may tell you it doesn't control the accompanying public key and then ask if you want to proceed. Somebody else will have to confirm.
Activity: 70
Merit: 2
July 19, 2014, 01:17:21 PM

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
July 19, 2014, 07:34:36 AM
Wow I never noticed there's no address book

It's bad practice though, always get it again and check the last few digits
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
July 19, 2014, 06:26:37 AM
I'd like to see an address book. I'm often sending bitcoin to a couple of addresses and currently I have to look them up every time. These are Mycelium Android wallets so they use the same address for every transaction.

That would be great. So that we can see most frequently used addresses. Till it come, you can add 'a' in front of the label, so that it can be seen very easily. Smiley
Kindly,
          MZ
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
July 19, 2014, 06:15:09 AM
I'd like to see an address book. I'm often sending bitcoin to a couple of addresses and currently I have to look them up every time. These are Mycelium Android wallets so they use the same address for every transaction.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
July 18, 2014, 10:20:59 PM
-Ability to send from multiple wallets at once with full coin control.
-Addition column in the transactions where you can put in the cost at the time. It would be even better if this could be extended to automatically calculate the price based on the coinbase price at the time. This would help a lot for taxes.
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
July 18, 2014, 06:20:11 PM
Just a few things I thought of that I'd like to see.

-Allow other denominations besides just BTC (mbit, bit, etc)
-Enable the "Add this wallet to the ignore list" feature. I see it is there but just not enabled (unless there is some configuration I'm missing).
-If possible, a way to query specific blocks / information in the blockchain. This would be really nice to check transactions without needing to go out to a third party such as blockchain.info
-A way to view the priority of a transaction you would be sending. Idealy it would give a notice if the priority is high enough that the transaction can be sent with no fee
Activity: 250
Merit: 253
July 17, 2014, 07:05:55 PM
Hello. Just curious, what would you all like to see in the next version of Armory (0.93, although the exact number could change)? We have a lot of things we're working on. We also have a little free time when we like to think of cool stuff that users might like.
A way to hide addresses that have been generated. I tend to play around with my Bitcoin stuff without actually using the addresses generated, which ends up making a lot of addresses that will always have 0 tx, unless I do something semi-manual with them. I see a way to generate more addresses, but not a way to "un"generate addresses (I know there's a cache of ~100 more than are shown, and I don't mind those being there...I just don't want irrelevant addresses to be shown, taking up space).
"Un"generated addresses would be returned to the pool in their location, so the next time Armory needs to generate an address, it may pick one of these addresses.
(sure it's minor, but it's something that would add to the friendliness of the app, IMO)
Only downside I see is that it's a bit easier to reduce anonymity by reusing an address...but this only matters if anyone else is ever sending money to the address.

There is a "hide unused" button when in the wallet properties window.  That at least will hide them from view when browsing, though it doesn't actually change anything internally.  Since there is no limit on the number of addresses you can generate deterministically, we have no reason to complicate the interface by trying to allow the user to specify certain addresses to "suppliable" again with the "Receive Bitcoins" button.  No extra work for the user, and they are guaranteed a fresh address every time.  If you want to use one of those old addresses, then next time you need it, go to one of those unused addresses and right-click-copy it to the payer. 
I suppose that's good enough, although there's a part of me that will be bothered by the nonsequential numbers. I knew I must've been missing something simple.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
July 17, 2014, 05:32:42 PM
Hello. Just curious, what would you all like to see in the next version of Armory (0.93, although the exact number could change)? We have a lot of things we're working on. We also have a little free time when we like to think of cool stuff that users might like.
A way to hide addresses that have been generated. I tend to play around with my Bitcoin stuff without actually using the addresses generated, which ends up making a lot of addresses that will always have 0 tx, unless I do something semi-manual with them. I see a way to generate more addresses, but not a way to "un"generate addresses (I know there's a cache of ~100 more than are shown, and I don't mind those being there...I just don't want irrelevant addresses to be shown, taking up space).
"Un"generated addresses would be returned to the pool in their location, so the next time Armory needs to generate an address, it may pick one of these addresses.
(sure it's minor, but it's something that would add to the friendliness of the app, IMO)
Only downside I see is that it's a bit easier to reduce anonymity by reusing an address...but this only matters if anyone else is ever sending money to the address.

There is a "hide unused" button when in the wallet properties window.  That at least will hide them from view when browsing, though it doesn't actually change anything internally.  Since there is no limit on the number of addresses you can generate deterministically, we have no reason to complicate the interface by trying to allow the user to specify certain addresses to "suppliable" again with the "Receive Bitcoins" button.  No extra work for the user, and they are guaranteed a fresh address every time.  If you want to use one of those old addresses, then next time you need it, go to one of those unused addresses and right-click-copy it to the payer. 
July 17, 2014, 04:33:21 PM
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3079
July 17, 2014, 03:15:56 PM
Extended character set on the passphrase entry software keyboard
Activity: 255
Merit: 250
Senior Developer - Armory
July 17, 2014, 02:53:38 PM
Hello. Just curious, what would you all like to see in the next version of Armory (0.93, although the exact number could change)? We have a lot of things we're working on. We also have a little free time when we like to think of cool stuff that users might like. Here's a small, incomplete list of features I'm considering including in 0.93. I know others are planning to work on things like the "Dust-B-Gone" plugin, so please don't consider this to be a comprehensive list. Wink

-Further armoryd improvements (exact list TBD).
-Restore notifications to OS X. If only you knew the hoops I'll have to jump through to make such a simple feature happen....
-Fix a cosmetic bug where, when Armory starts in testnet mode, the dock icon doesn't turn green. (This is, believe it or not, tied to the notification feature.)
-Upgrade the OS X build to be high-resolution (i.e., "Retina") capable.
-Get Armory to the point where it builds cleanly on Yosemite, unlike the shaky house of cards it is right now. This may take awhile but hopefully the most painful changes (e.g., the long-in-the-making Qt stability patch I just added) were made during the 10.8 -> 10.9 transition.

Thanks for all your support!
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
July 17, 2014, 10:53:32 AM
Here's some ideas:

Bitcoin Foundation
    Electronic Frontier Foundation
    Let's Talk Bitcoin webcast (Adam Levine, et al)
    XKCD Web Comic  (not exactly a charity, but who doesn't love his work? http://xkcd.com/538/)
    Cryptocat
    Freenet
    LibreOffice
    Linux Mint (this is my primary OS, so I'm a bit biased towards them!)
    The Tor project

Open Transactions. http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
Activity: 113
Merit: 10
July 17, 2014, 06:13:56 AM
How about Sean's Outpost?
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
Do you like fire? I'm full of it.
July 17, 2014, 03:57:38 AM
Where is version 0.9.2? The changelog page says yesterday it was released. https://bitcoinarmory.com/download/changelog-versions/
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1083
Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile
July 16, 2014, 02:31:49 PM
You might check out https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bitcoin-100-developed-specifically-for-non-profits-52543 and http://bitcoin100.org/charities/ and take out all things that doesnt look correct for you.

However, we cannot do this without a list of bitcoin-accepting charities or entities that are apolitical (i.e. making donations to something like wikileaks would be considered controversial, and out of the question).  We need ideas for who we can provide donations to.  Open-source projects are an excellent target since we are an open-source company ourself!
This could be enough incentive to get charities to start accepting bitcoin donations. All of the charities that came to my mind not already on your list don't seem to accept bitcoin, even though they can do it for 0 fees through BitPay. Here are some (AFAIK apolitical) charities that maybe we could add to the list (some already take bitcoin donations in the form of donations through Humble Bundle...although it's probably fiat by then):
American Red Cross https://www.redcross.org/
Linux Foundation https://www.linuxfoundation.org/
charity: water http://www.charitywater.org/
Child's Play http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

What about paying the BTC to a trusted third party, who will donate the equivalent money to the charities?
Activity: 560
Merit: 509
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
July 16, 2014, 01:34:40 PM
FWIW, these are the projects I'd "vote" for. BTW, your link for Linux Mint goes to LibreOffice.

Linux Mint : http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php.
I hope it helps.
Kindly,
       MZ
July 16, 2014, 01:07:58 PM
FWIW, these are the projects I'd "vote" for. BTW, your link for Linux Mint goes to LibreOffice.
Pages:
Jump to: