Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 57. (Read 521749 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
April 14, 2014, 12:24:54 PM
The only way to have Armory working with Tor is to have listen=1 on bitcoin.conf, or to start bitcoin with the -listen=1 argument, right?

addnode=127.0.0.1 will make bitcoind try to connect to Armory, which is what you want, and not more. listen=1 is more aggressive than necessary.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
April 14, 2014, 12:22:00 PM
The only way to have Armory working with Tor is to have listen=1 on bitcoin.conf, or to start bitcoin with the -listen=1 argument, right?

legendary
Armory Developer
April 14, 2014, 12:20:08 PM
1) Copy and paste your bitcoin.conf content in here

2) Armory needs 2 things: To find a running instance of Bitcoin locally (on 127.0.0.1:8333) that it can connect to) and to be pointed at the folder where the blockchain is saved. Now I need a logfile to assert that. Make a ticket, attach the log and point at your post.

3) If you dont know it means you didnt mess with it.

4&6) Armory connects to Bitcoin locally and to our own servers for updates and announcements. This has been the case since... hell I dont remember but its been there alright. Look at your log file and watch all those connections to google.com and our s3 server. At this rate it would be simpler to install Whonix than go through all this pain. If you dont have any coding experience you're gonna have a hard time turning off all side channel in the from source. This isnt related to your issue btw, just assuming you want all that side channel stuff off or going through Tor.

5) Same as 1)

Also, you should be able to put all your settings in the bitcoin.conf file and let Armory auto manage it, but that's besides the point. Using 64 vs 32bit BitcoinQt has nothing to do with this, this is simply a setting issue. Give me the information I need and I'll sort it out.

Again consider using Whonix or that Tails + Armory attempt found somewhere on this sub section.

Something I forgot to answer: We dont put out a 64bit Windows version anymore because we dont need to. When Armory needed tons of RAM it had to be 64 bit. Now it doesn't anymore so we don't bother in a sense. The 32 bit version runs on every supported Windows, make our life easier.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0
April 14, 2014, 09:06:10 AM
ok one after another>

1> yes i have turned off armory managing bitcoin in armory settings and yes just to confirm what i said i enabled it to test it out if it runs a seperate bitcoin instance wich it does aka bitcoind.exe again its disabled thou this was just for confirmation purposes only

2> what , what switch , huh , how do i do that btw yes ive done a regular bitcoin qt 0.91 install wich i recon does what is required right , its the x64 version of it thou since i wanted to test that one out, love x64 versions not that installing the 32bit version made any difference in armorys detection

3> testnet , mainnet , again i have no idea what your talking about please elaborate

4> yes ive turned off the torrent and check offline options just to see if it makes a difference...nope it didnt btw check offline isnt that counterproductive? since its supposed to check through bitcoin qt if theres connectivity , that is once it actually detects bitcoin qt.exe and then using its connection to gain online access

5> yes i do in my bitcoin folder in the appdata/roaming folder

6> and no , no i did not , how do i do that , are you telling me that theres other points of armory that didnt get torriefied , omg! , mind you ive run armory 0.88.1 with bitcoin 0.84 per the previous mentioned setup and armory detected bitcoin qt without issues as soon as i started up my tor browser bundle and the blockchain was fully synced , thats until ive updated both to the most recent versions something mustve changed in bitcoin qt aka called bitcoin core now wich prevents armory from detecting it , it boggles the mind

ive did all those except i have no idea what 3 is or 2 nor 6, help please, i appreciate your time

legendary
Armory Developer
April 13, 2014, 04:48:05 PM
apparently you havent understood my issue , since i have to be able to have armory autodetect the already running bitcoin-qt.exe in order for it to be able to connect over tor since armory uses the connection from the bitcoin core client that way , and setting it in armorys settings to let armory run it in the background it uses its own process , completely ignoring my bitcoin client settings aka not using the proxy settings in bitcoin core aka not using tors connection

if you dont believe me go and try this>

download tor browser bundle latest , got to settings in tor bundle and go to preferences by clicking on the tor button , then select the custom proxy settings , then enter as SOCKS host this 127.0.0.1 and enter 9150 in port and select socks v5

then go to your bitcoin core settings and do as following >  go to network and select connect through socks proxy and enter above settings and you got it all setup to only connect whenever your running tor , wich in turn would have armory only connect through tor as well since it would then be properly using the available instance of bitcoin-qt.exe , thats if it would work as it has , but as of latest build of bitcoin core be it 32bit or 64bit dont matter and armory its broken wich needs to be fixed this is an crucial security and anonymity  issue and i wont be able to use armory , hell i wont be able to manage my bitcoins at all until then since armory is the only secure software i trust to manage my bitcoins

Are you saying your setup worked with older versions of Armory?

Bitcoin Core's arch build is irrelevant here. Im going to speculate since you didn't give me your settings specifics.

1) Ima assume you have turn off auto manage bitcoind in Armory, and that Armory just shows offline. If as you seem to pretend, Armory is just running its own instance of bitcoind, that setting is on and you need to turn it off.

2) Ima assume you have pointed Armory at Bitcoin's datadir folder through the --satoshi-datadir switch, or that you let BitcoinQt create that folder in its default location.

3) Ima assume you're not trying to run Armory in testnet while BitcoinQt is running on the mainnet, or vice versa.

4) Ima assume you turned off the torrent and "check online" options in File -> Settings

5) Ima assume you have a custom bitcoin.conf

6) Ima assume you commented the announcement code out of ArmoryQt.py, seeing that you don't want any of your traffic going through something else than Tor.

If all these assumptions hold true and Armory is showing offline, then add this line to your bitcoin.conf:

addnode=127.0.0.1

Restart BitcoinQt and let me know.

April 13, 2014, 03:57:05 PM
apparently you havent understood my issue , since i have to be able to have armory autodetect the already running bitcoin-qt.exe in order for it to be able to connect over tor since armory uses the connection from the bitcoin core client that way , and setting it in armorys settings to let armory run it in the background it uses its own process , completely ignoring my bitcoin client settings aka not using the proxy settings in bitcoin core aka not using tors connection

if you dont believe me go and try this>

download tor browser bundle latest , got to settings in tor bundle and go to preferences by clicking on the tor button , then select the custom proxy settings , then enter as SOCKS host this 127.0.0.1 and enter 9150 in port and select socks v5

then go to your bitcoin core settings and do as following >  go to network and select connect through socks proxy and enter above settings and you got it all setup to only connect whenever your running tor , wich in turn would have armory only connect through tor as well since it would then be properly using the available instance of bitcoin-qt.exe , thats if it would work as it has , but as of latest build of bitcoin core be it 32bit or 64bit dont matter and armory its broken wich needs to be fixed this is an crucial security and anonymity  issue and i wont be able to use armory , hell i wont be able to manage my bitcoins at all until then since armory is the only secure software i trust to manage my bitcoins
legendary
Armory Developer
April 13, 2014, 03:37:40 PM
You can force the Bitcoin core installation path, going to File -> Settings
April 13, 2014, 02:41:22 PM
got a huge proplem , ive just upgraded to armory 0.91 and bitcoin core x64 0.91 , and armory wont detect bitcoin core x64 0.91 , hell ive tried with the 32bit version of bitcoin core 0.91 ,  same thing , armory still wont detect bitcoin core 0.91 running , all it shows is armory is offline , i really need this fixed , since i use the bitcoin-qt.exe aka the GUI version of bitcoin core to connect through tor per proxy in bitcoin-qts proxy settings and thus have

armory connect through tor as well since it uses the bitcoin-qt.exe as well usually by detecting it atleast thats how it used to work , wich is broken as of now , please fix this id appreciate it alot i need this for enhanced security

btw why is there no seperate x64 version of armory anymore , bitcoin-qt has it and the 0.88.1 version of armory had it so why not the newer builds
legendary
Armory Developer
April 12, 2014, 02:15:37 PM
Ok perfect will have a look into it.

Have you already some date in prevision when to start with revision of armoryd?

Sorry to say but there are 2 items in front of armoryd on the priority list currently. CircusPeanut, who maintains armoryd, is going over our unit tests right now so he won't be dealing with it yet.

The other priority is multisig, and it makes sense for us to first polish multisig and p2sh, then fix armoryd, and add multisig support with it.
Activity: 23
April 12, 2014, 01:46:03 PM
Ok perfect will have a look into it.

Have you already some date in prevision when to start with revision of armoryd?
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
April 12, 2014, 01:18:03 PM
Is there some function (which I dont find at this moment in the armoryengine) where to check for a Input
if its "redeemed" or "Not yet redeemed"?
some function around which we can implement to armoryd?
(the point is we have some transactions, just a few, which are not getting to the bitcoin network, and it seems that sometimes
armoryd is spending some inputs which are not yet in the network, or at least which are not listed in the blockchain)
thats why I am asking for the redeemed and not yet redeemed funcionality.

Look for getUnspentTxOutsForAddr160List in armoryengine\Transaction.py. There are a lot of options, and as Goat Pig mentioned you can use --nospendzeroconfchange command line argument.
legendary
Armory Developer
April 12, 2014, 01:15:50 PM
Try the --nospendzeroconfchange switch to prevent that. Otherwise check the amount on of confirmations the transactions has, or the block it was mined in.
Activity: 23
April 12, 2014, 01:09:33 PM
Hi!

Is there some function (which I dont find at this moment in the armoryengine) where to check for a Input
if its "redeemed" or "Not yet redeemed"?

some function around which we can implement to armoryd?

(the point is we have some transactions, just a few, which are not getting to the bitcoin network, and it seems that sometimes
armoryd is spending some inputs which are not yet in the network, or at least which are not listed in the blockchain)

thats why I am asking for the redeemed and not yet redeemed funcionality.

Best regards.
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 4543
diamond-handed zealot
April 09, 2014, 01:02:30 PM
Do Armory users need to stop using and/or upgrade any files in regard to heartbleed?

Nope!  Armory actually uses Crypto++, not OpenSSL. 

exactly the information I was looking for

thank you for the clarification
Activity: 46
April 09, 2014, 08:23:05 AM
Hi,

the link on the armory website to the 64bit version of 0.91-beta for Ubuntu also points to the 32bit version. Maybe this should be fixed... :-)

Best,
 chris

Activity: 563
Merit: 101
April 09, 2014, 03:23:56 AM
I downloaded the version 0.88 of Armory, and it automatically updated to "Armory 0.90-beta". It runs with BitcoinQT 0.8.6.  Would it improve my system to download Bitcoin Core?? If so, i have to uninstall completely Bitcoin QT and then download BitcoinCore, is that correct? Would Armory be affected, as it has been synchronized with BitcoinQT and not Bitcoin Core? Maybe i will have to uninstall and install again Armory?
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
April 08, 2014, 09:02:10 PM
Will you be using the new announcements feature to prompt people to upgrade to 0.9.1 now that is out? I am not using any parts of Bitcoin Core that are effected and would like to see it work, so I am willing to wait a couple of days for the update.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
April 08, 2014, 06:35:08 PM
Do Armory users need to stop using and/or upgrade any files in regard to heartbleed?

Nope!  Armory actually uses Crypto++, not OpenSSL.  Though even if we did, offline computers would be unaffected (as far I can tell from the little I've read about -- I've been at a conference all day and haven't had time to dig into the specifics of the heartbleed stuff).

Speaking of the conference, check this out -- I was on Bloomberg TV!

http://www.businessweek.com/videos/2014-04-07/why-are-people-so-excited-about-bitcoin
Activity: 337
Merit: 250
April 08, 2014, 08:54:46 AM
Activity: 31
April 07, 2014, 02:59:33 AM
I don't see a Linux version for 0.91 yet.  Also is there any compelling reason to update Armory on my offline computer (currently running 0.90).
Pages:
Jump to: