Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 60. (Read 521749 times)

Activity: 148
Merit: 100
March 23, 2014, 08:51:29 AM
I'm trying to create a cold storage wallet with armory but each time I try to send coins using offline transactions I get the following message on my offline armory :
"This transactions appears to have no relationship to any of the wallets stored on this computer. Did you load the correct transaction ?"

I use armory 0.90 on both online and offline setups and I'm using a watch-only wallet on the online setup.

What am I doing wrong ?
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
March 23, 2014, 08:03:15 AM
can you pastebin ./Makefile and ./cppForSwig/Makefile please
Please: http://pastebin.com/mTAQmT6Q . I can give a ssh access on non-root user or VNC if this can help.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
March 22, 2014, 04:49:10 PM
It is possible to delete imported address with private key from encrypted wallet without entering the password. I dont know how this is possible - it shouldnt be that way. The private part of wallet should be encrypted so it should not be possible to mess with it without password.

To be clear, this is just like deleting an encrypted file on your hard-drive.  You can still see the filename and know where the file is while it's encrypted, and you don't need to decrypt it to simply delete it or overwrite it with new data.

Arguably though, certain operations like that maybe should soft-require a password to prevent legitimate users from doing it accidentally.  But it's really only a soft-barrier:  there's nothing stopping you, an attacker, or malware from opening the wallet file and deleting that entry.

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
March 22, 2014, 02:29:24 PM
It is possible to delete imported address with private key from encrypted wallet without entering the password. I dont know how this is possible - it shouldnt be that way. The private part of wallet should be encrypted so it should not be possible to mess with it without password.

It will not hurt the wallet's consistency to delete an entry in full, whether it is encrypted or not. However I'm not sure this can be done from our UI. If it can be done, then it is a mistake on our part and we'll get to fixing it right away.

0.90.99.40-test did the trick. I can now open my wallet with many multipool inputs and it does not crash. I did not do a factory reset - just installed the testing version over 0.90. I did have to manually point Armory to Bitcoin Core 0.90, I'm guessing because I installed the 64-bit version.

First of all, 0.90.99.4 (essentially it 0.91-beta RC3)  uses different LevelDB system parameters, so we highly recommend you wipe your current DB and rebuild it. As for finding x64 version of 0.9.0 bitcoin core, it should find it on its own. Empty the path input line in the settings file, restart Armory and it should find it on its own. Let me know if it doesn't (it does work just fine on my end).
Activity: 25
March 22, 2014, 02:04:47 PM
I too have been unable to access my wallet for the last 2 months or so. I mine at several multipools, and Armory was okay a while back, but as funds built up the wallet started crashing consistently, so I'm looking forward to 0.91!

Side note: I installed 0.90 Bitcoin Core Qt tonight, ran/synced, then closed Qt. I pull up Armory 0.90 and receive the following error:
Output from bitcoind:
StdErr:

: Corrupted block database detected.
Do you want to rebuild the block database now?

Armory stays in Offline mode.

Congrats!  You get to try the new blockchain download via torrent!   But we think your other problems will be fixed when you are done.

Please install the new version of Armory I just posted.  Use "Help"->"Factory Reset" and choose to destroy everything, including redownloading the blockchain.

If it goes right, you should get to redownload via torrent.  The new version should work out of the box.  (no more --test-announce is needed)

0.90.99.40-test did the trick. I can now open my wallet with many multipool inputs and it does not crash. I did not do a factory reset - just installed the testing version over 0.90. I did have to manually point Armory to Bitcoin Core 0.90, I'm guessing because I installed the 64-bit version.
Activity: 70
Merit: 2
March 22, 2014, 01:48:11 PM
I just spent 5 day or so
What if I need to transfer coins as soon as possible due to a possible paper backup breach?

If you can get to your offline wallet Armory (physically and past its password/s) - you have access to your private keys.
Worst case, urgently needing funds:
In the offline Armory, under 'Backup Wallet' you can get a list of the private and public keys for each address. This enables you to copy one or a few addresses that have sufficient coins to a plaintext file and import it to another client wallet.

To greatly decrease the 'attack surface' of a paper backup breach Armory has Fragmented Backups. You can use M of N scheme where you plant these N backups in different physical locations and need M of them to recreate the wallet.
Activity: 28
March 22, 2014, 11:00:45 AM
Activity: 28
March 22, 2014, 07:22:23 AM
I just spent 5 day or so upgrading to Bitcoin Core 0.9 and Armory 0.90.99-4 before succeeding to get on-line again. The major and only problem was that after initially upgrading just to Bitcoin Core 0.9, Armory 0.9 always got stuck while building and rescanning the block data. I had to upgrade also to Armory 0.90.99-4 and do Factory reset before succeeding to come back online.

This is really unsatisfactory state, since the Armory ability to create off-line transaction is totally dependent on its active on-line status. What would I do in case of some emergency during those 5 days. What if I need to transfer coins as soon as possible due to a possible paper backup breach?

I think there is a need for option of creating the unsigned transaction on other platforms while signing it by Armory off-line. If I could create unsigned transaction on Blockchain.info, that would be really great. Or even to have utility in Armory to build the unsigned transaction by collecting the inputs and amounts manually from whatever trusted source - in expert mode of course.

This would really help to make transaction in times when there is any problem with Armory online status.

What do you think?

EDIT: By the way new version with secure download and automatic torrent bootstrap helps a lot and it is actually much faster than ever before: After doing Factory reset I was able to be online in some 10 hours.
Activity: 29
March 21, 2014, 02:01:54 PM
in addition to what goatpig wrote, can you give us the output of `echo $OPT`
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
March 21, 2014, 01:57:54 PM
can you pastebin ./Makefile and ./cppForSwig/Makefile please
Activity: 20
March 21, 2014, 01:08:41 PM
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
March 21, 2014, 12:33:00 PM
Zoella, rocks, etc:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5807344

i.e. try the latest 0.91-dev branch if you can, with your problem wallets (make sure you rebuild).

Thank you, version 0.90.99.4 Beta has allowed my Armory Wallet to be fully opened for the first time in more than a week.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 21, 2014, 12:49:18 AM
Testing version 0.90.99.4 for Windows, Mac and Linux*

*Any linux with python2.6 is still borked.  However this package should work on any linux system with python 2.7 (we thought we'd found a way to compile universal installers, and we did...as long as it uses the same python version!).

YES Mac version compiled and seems to be working!
YES The crashing at 99% done scanning seems to be fixed!

Downloads and info in the testing thread.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 21, 2014, 12:48:08 AM
I too have been unable to access my wallet for the last 2 months or so. I mine at several multipools, and Armory was okay a while back, but as funds built up the wallet started crashing consistently, so I'm looking forward to 0.91!

Side note: I installed 0.90 Bitcoin Core Qt tonight, ran/synced, then closed Qt. I pull up Armory 0.90 and receive the following error:
Output from bitcoind:
StdErr:

Congrats!  You get to try the new blockchain download via torrent!   But we think your other problems will be fixed when you are done.

Please install the new version of Armory I just posted.  Use "Help"->"Factory Reset" and choose to destroy everything, including redownloading the blockchain.

If it goes right, you should get to redownload via torrent.  The new version should work out of the box.  (no more --test-announce is needed)
Activity: 25
March 21, 2014, 12:37:32 AM

Output from bitcoind:
StdErr:

Activity: 79
Merit: 10
March 20, 2014, 08:08:09 PM
With the new 0.9.0 bitcoin core we now have an option to run without a core wallet with: -disablewallet option. It would be nice if this could be added to Armory soon! A custom options text entry would allow future quick changes to commandline in "Expert" mode...or something

Thanks for the great app.

EDIT:

I found you can also add the following to the bitcoin.conf file:
disablewallet=1
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 20, 2014, 07:29:51 PM
Just wanted to repeat in this thread, fix seems to work great. Highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with speed issues.

Thanks rxgrant (github) for pointing us to that solution, and then goatpig figured out how to make it even better!  Sounds like it was more successful than any of us were expecting!

Also, thanks to picobit for helping figure out how to fix the mac builds after we revamped the makefiles.  I haven't gotten it working on my system yet, but it's close!

Should have 0.90.99.4 out tonight for Windows, Ubuntu 12.04+ and OSX  (at least the first two).  It will include the moster-tx fix, as well as a ton of robustness improvements.  Also, I should have  a properly-signed announce file, so you don't have to run with --test-announce to get those features. 

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
March 20, 2014, 07:25:08 PM
Zoella, rocks, etc:

i.e. try the latest 0.91-dev branch if you can, with your problem wallets (make sure you rebuild).

i've not tried a split that large but i have constructed up to 10 outputs w/o a hitch.

You need 500+ outputs per transaction to trigger this.

Just wanted to repeat in this thread, fix seems to work great. Highly recommend this upgrade to anyone with speed issues.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
March 20, 2014, 01:42:13 PM
Zoella, rocks, etc:

i've not tried a split that large but i have constructed up to 10 outputs w/o a hitch.

You need 500+ outputs per transaction to trigger this.

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
March 20, 2014, 11:44:23 AM
0.91 is an improvement over 0.90 for sure.  But we don't believe that it's a critical upgrade.
I'm eating lunch with altoz right now and he also says he's had problems with 0.90 that required him to delete the .armory directory.

I think you've got a lot of users who having problem but are just living with them instead of reporting them.

i have had zero problems with 0.90 (zero crashes) and that's after putting it thru heavy testing.

of course, my laptop has 16GB RAM with a huge HD in linux.
Heavy testing?  Can you take 10 transactions like this? http://blockchain.info/tx/e3aea19a966d103c4520530f6a8f9486b03d4cbe46deeeb56c4e72730fe83f2f

I couldn't on any rig.

Pages:
Jump to: