Pages:
Author

Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread - page 88. (Read 521763 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1360
Armory Developer
November 24, 2013, 12:50:06 PM
Ok, so now I'm kinda concerned with Armory as it appears to have transferred my BTC to another address.

I have a watching only wallet on an offline computer which holds the address where the BTC are delivered.  I sent some BTC using the offline computer to sign the transaction but back on the online computer I have two extra addresses marked as 'change received' after I made the transaction.  The problem is that the majority of my remaining funds has been moved from the original BTC address into the 'changed received' account.

Where the hell are the private keys for these two extra addresses?HuhHuh  I have no private keys for these two extra accounts as I have not created them - armory has taken this upon itself.  How the hell am I going to get the money back where it should be in the original BTC address.

What the hell is going on here  Huh

Armory wallets are deterministic. The private keys are derived from a unique root. Keep clicking receive coins on your offline computer, it'll keep generating new addresses until it eventually hits the ones you have marked as "change address" on the online watch only counterpart of the wallet
Activity: 778
Merit: 531
November 24, 2013, 12:37:39 PM
You should choose one of the newer paper backup formats when you restore.

Thanks! That works.

The "Test Paper Backup" should already have the right format selected in this use case.
Also the label in the dialog is "Backup Type:" vs. "Wallet Version:" on the paper.
"Backup Type:" on the paper is "Single-Sheet (Unencryped)"

I think it would help if the same terms were used on screen and on paper. Wink
Activity: 20
Merit: 0
November 24, 2013, 12:01:07 PM
Ok, so now I'm kinda concerned with Armory as it appears to have transferred my BTC to another address.

I have a watching only wallet on an offline computer which holds the address where the BTC are delivered.  I sent some BTC using the offline computer to sign the transaction but back on the online computer I have two extra addresses marked as 'change received' after I made the transaction.  The problem is that the majority of my remaining funds has been moved from the original BTC address into the 'changed received' account.

Where the hell are the private keys for these two extra addresses?HuhHuh  I have no private keys for these two extra accounts as I have not created them - armory has taken this upon itself.  How the hell am I going to get the money back where it should be in the original BTC address.

What the hell is going on here  Huh
Activity: 547
Merit: 500
Decor in numeris
November 24, 2013, 11:21:40 AM
I'm testing 89.99.14 on a Xubuntu system.

In the paper backup only the Root Key shows. The Chaincode is missing.
I had a hard time to understand where things should go in the Paper Backup Verify step and dearly missed an example until I realized that half of the information is missing.

You should choose one of the newer paper backup formats when you restore.  One of them only has a root key, that should be the one matching newer paper backups of newer wallets (where the chain code is derived from the root key).
Activity: 778
Merit: 531
November 24, 2013, 07:58:39 AM
I'm testing 89.99.14 on a Xubuntu system.

In the paper backup only the Root Key shows. The Chaincode is missing.
I had a hard time to understand where things should go in the Paper Backup Verify step and dearly missed an example until I realized that half of the information is missing.
cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
November 23, 2013, 01:07:42 AM
I've always thought it would be nice if armory could query blockchain.info or something to find out how many blocks there were so that it knew if bitcoind was stuck, or if it was looking in the wrong directory for the blockchain, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
November 23, 2013, 12:25:31 AM
Just sent my first transaction to an .89 armory wallet, and it has 5 confirms in the blockchain, but Armory is reading 0 confirms on the transaction and no spendable balance. Any ideas?

What does the bottom-right corner say?  Usually something like "Connected (260837 blocks)".

Connected 270973 blocks -- but I just restarted bitcoind and it says it needs to reindex the blocks on disk, so that might be it. Letting it run now.

Yeah, looks like you're about 60 blocks behind the network.  I'm actually kind of curious if Armory figures out what's going on on the next restart... (I don't see why it wouldn't work, but  yo ucan always be surprised...)
Activity: 292
Merit: 250
November 23, 2013, 12:17:13 AM
Just sent my first transaction to an .89 armory wallet, and it has 5 confirms in the blockchain, but Armory is reading 0 confirms on the transaction and no spendable balance. Any ideas?

What does the bottom-right corner say?  Usually something like "Connected (260837 blocks)".

Connected 270973 blocks -- but I just restarted bitcoind and it says it needs to reindex the blocks on disk, so that might be it. Letting it run now.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
November 23, 2013, 12:01:29 AM

What does the bottom-right corner say?  Usually something like "Connected (260837 blocks)".
November 23, 2013, 12:00:34 AM
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015
November 22, 2013, 06:46:45 PM
Another issue from newcomer on .89.9x

In his setup, QT is run by Armory, not run independently. When it syncs to 100%, Armory switches over to offline mode. If he restarts Armory, the same thing happens (syncs, then switches to offline mode). Trying to get more info (anything in particular which'd be helpful?), but that's what I have on it right now. Any ideas?

ETA: Nm, just didn't notice "Building database."
legendary
Armory Developer
November 22, 2013, 08:27:14 AM
Thanks for the quick response, goatpig. One other thing -- is there any way currently or planned feature to allow an address to be "paused" -- similar to CoinControl for BitcoinQT -- so that the wallet will disregard the particular addresses funds for any ongoing transactions?

There is a coin control option in expert mode that allows you to exclude an address from the available pool of spendable outputs. Keep in mind that you'll have to exclude these addresses on every send. Don't quote me on this but I'm pretty sure there are some low priority plans to add up coin control functionalities.
November 22, 2013, 08:14:13 AM
Question -- with the new database format in .89, am I effectively storing two block chains? One for BitcoinQT, and then another separate DB for Armory of similar size? Will I effectively need to provide double the storage space over time?

The current Armory database is about 1.2x larger than the blockchain, for a total of 2.2x blockchain worth of disk space. This is currently the full implementation, aimed at supporting full and super nodes. There are plans to reduce the DB size requirements for plain "client" nodes.

Thanks for the quick response, goatpig. One other thing -- is there any way currently or planned feature to allow an address to be "paused" -- similar to CoinControl for BitcoinQT -- so that the wallet will disregard the particular addresses funds for any ongoing transactions?

legendary
Armory Developer
November 22, 2013, 04:12:11 AM
Question -- with the new database format in .89, am I effectively storing two block chains? One for BitcoinQT, and then another separate DB for Armory of similar size? Will I effectively need to provide double the storage space over time?

The current Armory database is about 1.2x larger than the blockchain, for a total of 2.2x blockchain worth of disk space. This is currently the full implementation, aimed at supporting full and super nodes. There are plans to reduce the DB size requirements for plain "client" nodes.
November 22, 2013, 04:07:44 AM
legendary
Armory Developer
November 21, 2013, 07:04:45 PM
Regarding Windows XP support: The code is there, and the builds have worked in my environment. I have passed this build around for users to test out, and so far the reports are positive. However this build implements some changes to the build environment and the code. We need to test these out more thoroughly before including them to the release.

Assuming there is a WinXP user base loud enough to complain about the lack support and etotheipi is ok with this, I'll build and serve the XP binaries. That will be my own build however, it won't be signed and it won't be hosted on Armory's page, only a link in the forums. Use that at your own risk or wait for the official release.

tldr: have a good build, needs more testing, may post home brew builds if you can't wait.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1007
November 21, 2013, 05:45:55 PM

When in doubt, use the backup tester!  I put it in to calm users' nerves about issues like these Smiley

I must admit that i am really impressed by your work and by your way of thinking. You actually think for the users and this is among the few software where i have everything that i need. Usually there is always some small thing that is missing and ruins the whole experience. Great job and thank you for your work!
donator
November 21, 2013, 05:04:08 PM
Thanks for the speedy response!
legendary
Core Armory Developer
November 21, 2013, 04:51:42 PM
I was helping a newcomer set up an Armory wallet (he's on .89.9x). He wanted to create a paper backup. He hadn't yet created an address for it.

When he went to create the paper backup, only the root key was printed out, not the chain code. Is the chain code essential for importing the wallet later?

ETA: -And could you tell me why Windows XP isn't supported? Is it just because you don't have it to test on for each new release, or are there significant known issues?

I'll let goatpig explain about the XP issues -- basically our new build system doesn't natively support it.  Luckily, Goatpig appears to have a solution!  We'll implement that in 0.91 (after this release).

As for the backups: yes, wallets created with the new version only contain the root key.  The chaincode is now derived from the root key, and thus does not need to be backed up.  The system detects whether the chaincode needs to be backed up, and then prints a 4-line backup if it's needed, 2-line backup if not. 

I know it's confusing, but there was really no reason not to do it, besides the confusion around questions like these!  You cannot create a 2-line backup with wallets created with 0.88.1 earlier.  Yet, backing those up with the new system (with SecurePrint and/or Fragmented), still work, and will use four lines. 

When in doubt, use the backup tester!  I put it in to calm users' nerves about issues like these Smiley
donator
November 21, 2013, 04:39:54 PM
I was helping a newcomer set up an Armory wallet (he's on .89.9x). He wanted to create a paper backup. He hadn't yet created an address for it.

When he went to create the paper backup, only the root key was printed out, not the chain code. Is the chain code essential for importing the wallet later?

ETA: -And could you tell me why Windows XP isn't supported? Is it just because you don't have it to test on for each new release, or are there significant known issues?
Pages:
Jump to: