Pages:
Author

Topic: As a Bitcoin Core only user, how im supposed to pay someone in person? - page 3. (Read 552 times)

Activity: 406
Merit: 896
Suppose you only use Bitcoin Core on a Linux distro because you don't trust anything else, and you want to meet with someone in person, and don't do the transaction until you meet, to exchange it for cash at the rate of the physical exchange, or for a product or service. The point is, you want to make the transaction there and can't do it from home. You cannot also carry your laptop.

Is there any handheld device that would make sense to use to do this transaction that doesn't stand out? Like one of these hardware wallets, that screams "punch this guy to get free BTC".

Is there any safe device that looks like a phone that runs Linux or something? I just don't know how one would do this, unless you resort to a regular Android phone. In this case, you are already trusting some flawed hardware and software. I don't need to make a big transaction, so I guess that would be ok, however im concerned from a privacy pov. I would mix the coins at home before transacting with the person using the Android wallet. In this case, what would you do? You need to stream the transaction somehow, so you are going to need internet, and let's say there's no public wifi.. so you are going to need a phone nonetheless.

Maybe having the phone as a router to connect wireless to this handheld device to make the transaction, and broadcast it through the internet data phone connection.. but how do you do this privately?

I don't see how I would do this. I would like how people do this.

According to the red text above, you are reluctant to use an android phone, because of privacy.

As oeleo stated above, connecting to your own node will fix this issue.

However, the best answer in my opinion is the one by BitMaxz.
Sign the tx beforehand from your home. Take the tx id with you in any form you wish (android, paper, usb, sd card). There, you can broadcast the tx, or you can even give it to them to broadcast it. The broadcasting of a signed tx is a feature available in almost every wallet software.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
Maybe having the phone as a router to connect wireless to this handheld device to make the transaction, and broadcast it through the internet data phone connection.. but how do you do this privately?
You have various options to do this privately.

You can run a hot wallet, which is pointed at your node running back home, such as Electrum. Transfer the coins you want to trade from Bitcoin Core to your mobile Electrum wallet before you go, and then make the transaction from Electrum to your trading partner while you are out. Everything goes via your own node.

For extra security, you can do the above with a watch only wallet and a separate airgapped wallet. Run a watch only wallet on your phone pointed at your own node running back home. Also take with you either a hardware wallet containing the funds you want to trade, or a second phone in airplane mode with your coins stored on it. You could do this with Electrum on two phones, or with a hardware wallet such as Passport and their accompanying Envoy app.

As BitMaxz has said, you can sign the transaction in advance if you know the address and amount, and take the signed transaction with you on your phone. Either broadcast via your own node, or via Tor using mempoolhqx4isw62xs7abwphsq7ldayuidyx2v2oethdhhj6mlo2r6ad.onion
legendary
Activity: 3234
Merit: 2943
Block halving is coming.
I don't get your point. laptop can be brought anywhere you want so why not bring it and only deal with someone in a safe place like a mall?

Or if you don't want to bring your Laptop then the only solution for your problem is to make a signed transaction(offline transaction) first in your house(don't forget to ask him about the price and BTC address)and don't broadcast it yet get the raw/hex code and paste it to your phone or any device that you can bring.
Now you can meet someone in person and only broadcast the transaction when you deal successfully with him but if not don't broadcast the transaction.

Here's the list of broadcasting sites below.

- https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Transaction_broadcasting

If you want it private don't forget to mix your coins at home before you make a raw transaction with Bitcoin Core.

Alternatively, you can make a portable Raspberry Pi with Linux installed you can bring it anywhere you want.
Here's what it looks like https://youtu.be/MorJLzybb3I?si=Nw-1QH7RsqFdVp3y
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1954
Is there any handheld device that would make sense to use to do this transaction that doesn't stand out? Like one of these hardware wallets, that screams "punch this guy to get free BTC".
There are a few options for that. An option for example would be the Coldcard Q1 from Coinkite which should be released soon.

If you're considering a more phone-like device that runs Linux, there are several Linux-based smartphones that might meet your privacy and security needs while providing a conventional smartphone appearance.
The Fairphone comes as a complete degoogled device and runs a Androind system by default. These smartphones are really designed for privacy and the protection of your own data.
Certain Linux based OS, such as Ubuntu Touch or PostmarketOS, can be easily flashed onto these devices. There are other OS being advertised but I can't comment on them due to lack of experience.

In addition to the Fairphone, there are also other providers: the Liberty Phone which comes from the American manufacturer Purism but costs more than three times as much as the Fairphone.
Activity: 281
Merit: 408
Suppose you only use Bitcoin Core on a Linux distro because you don't trust anything else, and you want to meet with someone in person, and don't do the transaction until you meet, to exchange it for cash at the rate of the physical exchange, or for a product or service. The point is, you want to make the transaction there and can't do it from home. You cannot also carry your laptop.

Is there any safe device that looks like a phone that runs Linux or something? I just don't know how one would do this, unless you resort to a regular Android phone. In this case, you are already trusting some flawed hardware and software. I don't need to make a big transaction, so I guess that would be ok, however im concerned from a privacy pov. I would mix the coins at home before transacting with the person using the Android wallet. In this case, what would you do? You need to stream the transaction somehow, so you are going to need internet, and let's say there's no public wifi.. so you are going to need a phone nonetheless.

I don't see how I would do this. I would like how people do this.
Pages:
Jump to: