Pages:
Author

Topic: ASIC + Air Conditioning = Safe? - page 2. (Read 489 times)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0
May 06, 2018, 08:21:10 PM
As long as the air outside is cooler than the GPUs they will still cool. Exhaust fan and source of air and you will be good. Filtered source is even better.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
May 06, 2018, 08:16:32 PM
Exactly. You just need an exhaust. It will make your room cooler and at the same time cost less in terms of power consumption.

I believe this has been discussed by mining veterans and airflow experts here previously.

Well I was a miner when all started in 2009 so I did a long and vast research to understand how it had to work. I mined for 4 years and I went through even at 50c degree celsius on summer.

I am not sure an exhaust system is viable if outside ambient temp is 100F/40C plus. So it would depend where you are.

It works on any location, summer or winter. There is no better method than that. You need to understand that the exhaust fan will do the intake fan job and that is the proper method, just make sure nothing is blocking the exhaust fan to work, a straight line of the computers from air starting to air ending is a must too. Also exhaust always on top, preferable on ceiling, the hot air always stays on top, cold air always at bottom inside the room.
Activity: 529
Merit: 29
May 06, 2018, 08:10:07 PM
You just need to exhaust the air, no need for intake, matter of fact I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous, add only exhaust fans and you should be fine, just make sure your exhaust fans are pulling the air from holes and if you dont have proper holes to how much air the exhaust fans need then you need to make them, you need to calculate hole size and air m3 per minute.

I am not sure an exhaust system is viable if outside ambient temp is 100F/40C plus. So it would depend where you are.

Activity: 280
Merit: 102
May 06, 2018, 08:03:38 PM
You just need to exhaust the air, no need for intake, matter of fact I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous, add only exhaust fans and you should be fine, just make sure your exhaust fans are pulling the air from holes and if you dont have proper holes to how much air it needs for the exhaust fans then you need to make them, you need to calculate hole size and air m3 per minute.

Exactly. You just need an exhaust. It will make your room cooler and at the same time cost less in terms of power consumption.

I believe this has been discussed by mining veterans and airflow experts here previously.
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
May 06, 2018, 08:01:03 PM
You just need to exhaust the air, no need for intake, matter of fact I'm against intake fans as it is very dangerous, add only exhaust fans and you should be fine, just make sure your exhaust fans are pulling the air from holes and if you dont have proper holes to how much air the exhaust fans need then you need to make them, you need to calculate hole size and air m3 per minute for the hole to supply.
Activity: 1008
Merit: 297
Grow with community
May 06, 2018, 07:23:38 PM
The best and cost effective is not to use an AC

What is effective in my mining room is to drive heat outside and let the fresh air in

my rigs are more happier than ever not getting those red marks temp

A/C may be used if electricity cost doesn't concern with you

visit this thread. its also my reference on A/C usage

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/calculating-air-conditioning-on-gpu-mining-rigs-help-needed-1348488
Activity: 847
Merit: 383
May 06, 2018, 07:02:11 PM
watts x 3.41 = BTU's / 12000 = tonnage you need for that room.

Example

10000 watts x 3.41 = 34,100 but / 12000 = 2.84 TON to cool it.
Activity: 529
Merit: 29
May 06, 2018, 06:53:27 PM
Wouldn't an Air Conditioner accomplish exactly what you are describing? It operates, at the very least, as an intake fan and does so while cooling the air it takes in. An Air Conditioner seems to be a very effective intake fan, when the problem is stale, warm air or am I mistaken? The rigs keep themselves at pretty good temperatures, but there's simply not enough air flow. Could I add an Air Conditioner and an Exhaust fan to accomplish the same thing?

It would depend upon the A/C. For example split A/Cs do not bring in fresh air.

Its hard to imagine how these three as "separate" features can work together:
1. Intake Fan
2. A/C
3. Exhaust

Specifically I am not sure you can have a exhaust system and and A/C. It would probably make the A/C work extra hard(??).

I am not an expert though.

Activity: 462
Merit: 336
May 06, 2018, 06:15:44 PM
Wouldn't an Air Conditioner accomplish exactly what you are describing? It operates, at the very least, as an intake fan and does so while cooling the air it takes in. An Air Conditioner seems to be a very effective intake fan, when the problem is stale, warm air or am I mistaken? The rigs keep themselves at pretty good temperatures, but there's simply not enough air flow. Could I add an Air Conditioner and an Exhaust fan to accomplish the same thing?
Activity: 43
Merit: 0
May 06, 2018, 05:04:36 PM
I think air conditioning can't solve your problem. It matters the circulation of the air so you should add two fans. One of them should add the air into the room with rigs and the other one to take the air out. On the first one that brings the air into your room you should put some net to protect from insects. There is no need to be worried about the moisture because your rigs will dry it out.
Activity: 462
Merit: 336
May 06, 2018, 04:58:14 PM
I've recently started mining and I'm adding more and more equipment to my small mining operation. There are high end GPUs and high end ASIC machines running pretty constantly. The room is slowly gaining temperature as I add more pieces of hardware, this is to be expected because of CFM and all of that. I'm wondering if there are any simple ways to combat this heat increase that are also financially painless. Can I add an Air Conditioning unit to the room or does the method of cooling add too much moisture into the air? Would I be able to combat that moisture with a dehumidifier? How much help would leaving a window open do?
Pages:
Jump to: