Pages:
Author

Topic: [ASIC] Avalon Overclockable Chips and Boards :: Idaho, USA :: 0:0 Remaining - page 10. (Read 18066 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Is this the cost of the bare board or does it include assembly and/or additional components (heatsinks, standoffs, fans, etc.)?

That is everything you need to run the board except power, so heatsink and fan are included.

How many chips planned for each host board?

It will be a modular design similar to Avalon's, where there are a number of chips per "card" that can be plugged into the board. This makes it so if one piece fails it is easily replaceable, as opposed to boards where everything is together Smiley

Will it be possible to send the chips from you to the manufacturer of the boards and then have them shipped to us?

Regards,
ilpirata79

Yes, this is exactly what the plans are.
Activity: 231
Merit: 100
Current board costs are tentatively set to $130 (but paid in equivalent BTC), and are subject to change depending on how many boards are ordered. If you order 20 or more boards, the cost will be $10 less per board.

Is this the cost of the bare board or does it include assembly and/or additional components (heatsinks, standoffs, fans, etc.)?
Activity: 353
Merit: 253
Will it be possible to send the chips from you to the manufacturer of the boards and then have them shipped to us?

Regards,
ilpirata79
Activity: 154
How many chips planned for each host board?

Update, 16 Jun:

I am working closely with a private board developer who is creating host boards for Avalon chips that will be able to achieve a higher hashrate per chip than standard boards. I will only be selling these boards to people who have purchased chips via my group-buy. Specifics will come within a month, after we have created the first batch of boards and stress-tested the heck out of them!
legendary
What's a GPU?
Update, 16 Jun:

I am working closely with a private board developer who is creating host boards for Avalon chips that will be able to achieve a higher hashrate per chip than standard boards. I will only be selling these boards to people who have purchased chips via my group-buy. Specifics will come within a month, after we have created the first batch of boards and stress-tested the heck out of them!
legendary
What's a GPU?
Developer notice:

I have received the test chips for this batch and I am auctioning four of them here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.2481737
Activity: 333
Merit: 250
Ants Rock
received reply. I'll sent an e-mail when I have...
legendary
What's a GPU?
Hello garr255, I've sent you an e-mail, waiting for a reply  Smiley I'm jesse11 here and the e-mail will come from me, techjesse

Replied, thanks for the inquiry.
Activity: 333
Merit: 250
Ants Rock
Hello garr255, I've sent you an e-mail, waiting for a reply  Smiley I'm jesse11 here and the e-mail will come from me, techjesse
legendary
What's a GPU?
Hi Ben,

The boards will be produced in a professional assembly house, by trained people who know exactly what they're doing. Because the assembly etc. is being outsourced the operation will be highly scalable, so there should be very little lead time to make chips into hashing miners (most likely under 1 week if you choose to overnight all the shipping). The $130 mentioned above will very likely be the final number, although you should not count on it yet. There is always the possibility that the board designs do not work and we have to go with a more costly board design (and that goes for all of these ASIC projects), although this is extremely unlikely. What I believe sets me apart from other services, is the increased likelihood of a fast turnaround. I will be producing boards for 10,000 chips before this group-buy order arrives, so I will be able to familiarize myself with the process and hopefully make a bunch of clients happy Smiley

Best,
Garrett

PS:
Due diligence pays tenfold.

I couldn't agree more!
Activity: 583
Merit: 500
Bitcoin for all & all for Bitcoin
Bummer. not the update i was hoping for. Regardless thanks for taking the time to get back to us.

Anyways, may I ask who will be assembling boards and where it will be done? Are they engineers, computer techs, hobbyists? How many people will be working on assembly at a time? Is the expected turnaround still about 2 weeks? Is $130 a near final number, it seems slightly steeper than the majority of board assembly services I've seen, what sets yours apart.

I apologize if this feels like an attack, I assure it is nothing of the sort, I would just like to hear more about the project. I'm wary of sending money anywhere too quickly. Due diligence pays tenfold.

Cheers G!

~Ben
legendary
What's a GPU?
I just ordered 31 chips, I'm going to order 113 more chips thursday (if they are still available) for a total of 144 chips (9 boards)

Order received, thanks Smiley
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I just ordered 31 chips, I'm going to order 113 more chips thursday (if they are still available) for a total of 144 chips (9 boards)
legendary
What's a GPU?
How much is going to be the cost of an assembled board (chip and heatsink installed)?

The cost specified above is for the fully functional miner including all components. You will have to supply your own power, however.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
How much is going to be the cost of an assembled board (chip and heatsink installed)?
legendary
What's a GPU?
Would you be willing to ship and purchased chips to another user in a different country? I've been looking into burnin's service in case your assembly plans fall through.

Yes, see the FAQ regarding changing your shipping address.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Update :: June 15th

Here's the post you've all been waiting for!

These last two weeks have been extremely busy. I've been working tirelessly with multiple board developers and producers, and finally have some firm numbers.

Initially, I am opting for the Klondike K16 boards. As you might infer from the name, these will house sixteen Avalon chips each, hashing at a rate of ~4.5gh/s. I am currently speaking with another board developer who will be selling overclockable boards, so we can get the most out of our chips!

Current board costs are tentatively set to $130 (but paid in equivalent BTC), and are subject to change depending on how many boards are ordered. If you order 20 or more boards, the cost will be $10 less per board.

Because of the extremely low order number of this batch, the price per chip has been moved to 0.1.

Best,
Garrett
Activity: 154
I am also waiting for the update especially the assembly plans
Activity: 583
Merit: 500
Bitcoin for all & all for Bitcoin
Waiting to "liquidate" some bitcoins for chips but need some updates first Garrett. Looked around and I'm sure you're busy with cog and other projects, but I think if you update this thread with plans you'll sell the majority of those chips real quick.
Activity: 490
Merit: 101
FRX: Ferocious Alpha
I too am interested in assembly.

I am in the process of moving (back) to Idaho, so my question is twofold. One, are you anywhere near the Boise area, and if yes, would face to face pickup be possible?

Kevin.

I'm up north, close to Spokane and Coeur d' Alene, and face to face pickup will be available to whoever would like to come out here.

I should have solidified assembly plans next week.

Best,
Garrett

Any update on the assembly plans and 16 or 64 chip boards?
Pages:
Jump to: