Pages:
Author

Topic: ASIC or GPU mining? - page 3. (Read 1771 times)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
November 20, 2017, 11:34:48 PM
I would not use GPU because u will miss your internet bandwidth for the little profit from it. I have a baikal mini i love it, a antminer U3 63gh batch 2 and 3 gridseed g-blades I wish i had more hashing power but these are not bad.
Activity: 213
Merit: 100
TdhNBDpg4EnTzLVe41WsGJECP7qc3uENdS
November 20, 2017, 10:09:23 PM
We need a safer asset, these are video cards. Asics assume big risks, but money returns quicker. Asics is more for professionals, for $ 3000 it's better to take a few GPU farms, or one farm for gtx 1080ti. Three years warranty will override any risks and difficulties with customization. Asics is preferably used in China.
Activity: 434
Merit: 52
November 20, 2017, 08:38:14 PM
ASIC= loudness but no problem with configure hardware
GPUs= quiet but many technical problems

i think for beginners better will be ASIC.

I use EthOS for my gpu rigs, I have had zero technical problems on my side (I have had some rare poolside problems with newer coins, but that's to be expected every now and again). Not an advert for them, I just like the OS. It IS $40/rig, but I like that it's upfront and not monthly, and having started by trying to build linux distros myself for my first rig, I am much, much happier with the plug and play nature of it. You don't even need to know much Linux/Unix, there is a very simple commands guide that is pretty much all you need...

I have heard good things about other mining OSes as well, not saying EthOS is better or worse than any of them, just that I never seem to have any technical issues with GPUs. But you are right, if you just want to mine simply and in one pool in a "set it and forget it" way, then ASICs are definitely the way to go. Plus it's easier to use them as space heaters.
Activity: 15
November 20, 2017, 07:04:17 PM
Our company is only mining with GPUs at the moment. But at the beginning with such a small investment i would recommend you to get an asic miner => And invest the profit into GPU Rigs.
Activity: 54
Merit: 10
November 20, 2017, 06:54:48 PM
ASIC= loudness but no problem with configure hardware
GPUs= quiet but many technical problems

i think for beginners better will be ASIC.
November 20, 2017, 06:25:22 PM
GPU mining income is way more stable. RX470 were making ~$1 per day a year ago, still making $1.5 per day now. As for ASICs, just go to forum threads about Antminer D3 and you will see how happy people were in the beginning making $100 day and how pissed off, getting $5 per day with no chance of ROI. Much shorter warranty on ASICs is another factor to consider.

It's very unpleasant. I would not want to be in a similar situation. In other side, I see that GPU mining has more advantages than ASICs. Thanks for your advice.

This also. You never know. I thought that the D3 I ordered from Bitmain (arriving end of the month) was a slam dunk and that I'd made a mistake overpaying for an L3+ from a third party seller on Amazon. The L3+ is still bringing in around $18-25/day consistently, the D3 has gone from around $150/day when I ordered it to $5/day and I don't even have it yet...

Point is it is all a crapshoot, and just make the calls that make the most sense to you. The upside to GPUs is that you can start small and expand as you go, so the upfront cost can be less. I would also point out that the D3 is still profitable, it will just take a lot longer to reach your ROI (especially once the November and December batches ship), but even at $5/day with the stock miner at stock settings, it's still profiting $2-3/day on Dash. That's not a lot and will take around two years at that price to ROI, but depending on when better X11 miners are released and also how DASH and other X11 coins hold or go up/down in value, you still can recoup faster (example: if you are using Nicehash and had been getting paid out in Bitcoin all last month, everything you got paid is now worth twice as much if you held it).

It's all about strategies, but yes, the D3 turned out to be a poor choice, I really wish I'd just bought a second L3+, but again, live and learn. GPUs I bought that I thought would take 8 months to ROI have already done it in 3, others not as quickly. Just don't put money in you can't afford to lose and learn as much as you can about the coins you're mining and you'll do fine. Smiley
Activity: 364
Merit: 12
November 20, 2017, 05:33:54 PM
GPU mining income is way more stable. RX470 were making ~$1 per day a year ago, still making $1.5 per day now. As for ASICs, just go to forum threads about Antminer D3 and you will see how happy people were in the beginning making $100 day and how pissed off, getting $5 per day with no chance of ROI. Much shorter warranty on ASICs is another factor to consider.

It's very unpleasant. I would not want to be in a similar situation. In other side, I see that GPU mining has more advantages than ASICs. Thanks for your advice.
Activity: 462
Merit: 11
November 19, 2017, 02:18:54 AM
It depends on what type of cryptocurrency are you going to mine. ASIC can only mine a specific but can can also mine different coins depending on the ASIC module. But if you will be mining different coins or tokens then definately go with GPU mining.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
November 19, 2017, 12:13:37 AM
I think GPU mining would be better. Because GPU is less costlier compared to ASIC and therefore you can purchase a number of GPU more than the ASIC. Am not so familiar with ASIC mining. You can take advice from other people also.
Activity: 304
Merit: 105
November 18, 2017, 09:23:38 PM
I agree with previous post. ASIC will provide faster ROI. Also, keep in mind that ASIC are very loud.

The downside to ASICs is that you have to upgrade if you want to stay competitive.  At some point better and more efficient ASIC's will be  released, and if you don't upgrade you will not earn as much because your overall percentage of hashpower thrown at the network has gone down while difficulty (probably) has gone up.  If you go with ASICs make sure you aren't buying last years models.

GPUs have better resale value and the difference in hashrate from on generation to the next is usually not that bad.

Epecially now as they hit a mayor roadblock in chip minituarization. Newer gen GPUs will have 10% better hashrate at best and for at least a year and a half when ETH allegedly turns PoS mining profits should be stable.

It is true, however that there is a lot less hassle with ASICS and they ROI faster. Downside is complete lack of resale value and you need a garage to put them in because they are LOUD.
Activity: 672
Merit: 252
Until the end
November 18, 2017, 09:08:47 PM
I agree with previous post. ASIC will provide faster ROI. Also, keep in mind that ASIC are very loud.

The downside to ASICs is that you have to upgrade if you want to stay competitive.  At some point better and more efficient ASIC's will be  released, and if you don't upgrade you will not earn as much because your overall percentage of hashpower thrown at the network has gone down while difficulty (probably) has gone up.  If you go with ASICs make sure you aren't buying last years models.

GPUs have better resale value and the difference in hashrate from on generation to the next is usually not that bad.
November 18, 2017, 08:10:59 PM

Why not? All online marketplace in my country are full of propositions of constructing GPUmining farm. And, as I can see, it is very popular service. Persons don't want to risk and buy ASICs. Gamers would buy your GPUs with great pleasure, but what about ASICs.

I know that can earn more with ASICs, but if there will be panic on market, it would be hard to sell hardware...

Not to speak for the poster, but my two cents: I read that as in reference to specific coins, that if ASIC mining is available for that coin then it is the way to go because a current ASIC chip geared for a specific coin will outperform a current GPU on that same coin, pretty much always, that's what it's designed to do. For general mining, you can still profit significantly with gpus though (look at the profits from the D3 vs 4 580s, but also look at 5 580s vs an L3+; it's all relative).
November 18, 2017, 08:07:52 PM
ASIC mining if the machine hasn't been on the market long. Otherwise, GPU, because you have much more options of what to mine as well as an upgrade path and resellable parts. Right now I wouldn't pay full price for anything other than an L3+ (and we'll see how that fares when the Nov and Dec batches go online) or maybe an S9.
Activity: 364
Merit: 12
November 18, 2017, 04:39:44 PM
Hello guys, I read a lot of information about mining. Can you advise me which variant I should choose?
1. I can buy ASIC (my friend have some contact, so I can get it without any problems)
2. I can buy GPU and mine with it.

As I know, ASIC mining is more profitable. But If i will GPU — after mining I can sell it to any gamer. So if Bitocin price will dump I won't lose a lot.

And what do you think? Advise me something, please.

P.S: I've got less than $ 3,000 to invest.

Whenever there is ASIC mining, GPU mining is out of the question.

Why not? All online marketplace in my country are full of propositions of constructing GPUmining farm. And, as I can see, it is very popular service. Persons don't want to risk and buy ASICs. Gamers would buy your GPUs with great pleasure, but what about ASICs.

I know that can earn more with ASICs, but if there will be panic on market, it would be hard to sell hardware...
Activity: 61
November 14, 2017, 01:05:56 PM
Hello guys, I read a lot of information about mining. Can you advise me which variant I should choose?
1. I can buy ASIC (my friend have some contact, so I can get it without any problems)
2. I can buy GPU and mine with it.

As I know, ASIC mining is more profitable. But If i will GPU — after mining I can sell it to any gamer. So if Bitocin price will dump I won't lose a lot.

And what do you think? Advise me something, please.

P.S: I've got less than $ 3,000 to invest.

Whenever there is ASIC mining, GPU mining is out of the question.
Activity: 518
Merit: 268
November 14, 2017, 01:05:28 PM
Currently ASIC mining is more profitable, the difference in payback is actually quite big at least 2 times more days.
That's because all profitable ASIC proof coins have a high difficulty compared to the price.
Here is a list with a lot of mining equipment compared: https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/#/equipment

But what if I want to sell all equipment. Can I sell ASIC for someone? Selling GPU is easier than ASIC, isn't it?
That's true, besides being very loud that's a big downside of ASIC miners.
The demand for GPUs is much bigger because it is not only aimed at consumers that want to mine.
Also because most people start to sell their ASIC when the electrical costs become higher than the income of mining.
When all these miners are offered at Ebay, the price is close to worthless.

Activity: 120
November 14, 2017, 12:10:54 PM

I agree with you, D3 is a bad device with 3$/day profit now. We are being fooled by Bitmain. You should buy GPU, AMD RX470 or RX580,
Activity: 42
November 14, 2017, 12:05:18 PM
I'm still new in here so take my advice with caution. One of the best thing i can see in GPU mining is the fact you can sold it back to gamer after ROI point, even if the crypto bubble goes booom this GPU will have a "good" value.
On the other side, if you want "Beast" you'll have to go on ASIC mining.

Gpu is flexible but less reward ASIC is a mining beast but can be out of date "fast"

my 0.00002BTC
Activity: 120
November 14, 2017, 11:57:24 AM
Activity: 154
November 14, 2017, 11:56:02 AM
Definitely, try out ASIC mining hardware.
For me, L3+ is the Beast.
Pages:
Jump to: