Pages:
Author

Topic: [Auction | NO MINIMUM BID] The Times 03 Jan 2009 | 10% to FreeRoss.org - page 4. (Read 3079 times)

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1242
So the 1/3/2019 paper was worth 20BTC as well??  I have a copy I’ll sell you for a mere 10BTC.  Half of what you believe it to be worth.  I’ll even cover the escrow fee.  Wink

Please don't misrepresent what I believe the value of these items to be. If you read my first post I clearly state that the bonus item would not materially add to the value of the 03 Jan 2009 paper which is up for auction. Thanks for your offer though  Wink
Just following the absurdity.....  and making a point to go along with said absurdity. 

....and be careful about misrepresentation.  You give a site for reference with ABSURD FOR SALE prices.... not SOLD prices.  I can put my car for sale for 1M USD.... doesn’t mean it’s worth that.
Activity: 150
Merit: 108
So the 1/3/2019 paper was worth 20BTC as well??  I have a copy I’ll sell you for a mere 10BTC.  Half of what you believe it to be worth.  I’ll even cover the escrow fee.  Wink

Please don't misrepresent what I believe the value of these items to be. If you read my first post I clearly state that the bonus item would not materially add to the value of the 03 Jan 2009 paper which is up for auction. Thanks for your offer though.  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1242
So the 1/3/2019 paper was worth 20BTC as well??  I have a copy I’ll sell you for a mere 10BTC.  Half of what you believe it to be worth.  I’ll even cover the escrow fee.  Wink

Edit:
...and I’ll give 1.5BTC to freeRoss out of your 10BTC.  It can come straight out of escrow.  Cheesy
Gentlemen -

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I will be unable to include the bonus item w/ this auction. I had wanted to include a copy of The Times from 03 Jan 2019 featuring the Bitmex advert. I'm sure collectors more savvy than myself can make this pairing happen, but it won't be this auction.

I want this auction to end on a successful note and as of now there are approximately 48 hours remaining until the close of bidding. I am a motivated seller and I am willing to engage in some price discovery to make a deal on this piece. I would prefer to avoid fleabay, and I would love for this item to end up in the hands of a forum user.

Because BTC is up and because I failed to deliver on the bonus item I am lowering the minimum bid to 20 BTC. All other terms of the auction remain in place. I have updated the main post to reflect this. I do not anticipate lowering the price further and I hope this change encourages bidders in the final days & hours of the auction.

I have moved the FAQ to the 2nd post and will continue to update there with questions as they arise.
I cannot tell you how many libraries I have searched in an attempt to find this issue. 

There's still time to add this to your personal library  Wink

I am still working to get the bonus item sorted, hoping to have photos to update this auction with soon; you guys will not be disappointed!
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
I cannot tell you how many libraries I have searched in an attempt to find this issue.  

I think it's now one of those things where if there was something available, someone got there and nabbed it a long, long time before it even occurred to you to look. I'm sure there must be some obsessive newspaper collectors with no interest in BTC who have one. Maybe their descendants will unearth it and buy their own space station.
legendary
Activity: 2254
Merit: 1140
copper member
Activity: 438
Merit: 175
Auction has been live for almost one week and will run for another week. Thanks to all who commented, shared thoughts, and stopped by to read and take a look at this item.

FAQ

Q: Price is very high, how can you justify the high minimum bid?

A: These are obviously rare papers and very few sales have taken place. https://www.thetimes03jan2009.com/ notes 8 "verified copies" of the paper ranging in asking price from $250k-$1.3M. BTC has been somewhat volatile since the auction began but at a ~$5200/BTC the minimum bid for this auction is priced 15-20% below the lowest priced paper on https://www.thetimes03jan2009.com/ and I am a highly accessible and public owner happy to answer questions to facilitate this deal; and I am donating 10% of the final sale price to a deserving charity.

If you are commenting to complain about the price please take precautions to avoid having your post look like a bid.

Q: Is this your only copy?

A: Yes.

Q: Are you willing to meet the buyer in person to consummate this deal?

A: Yes, I am willing to travel (reasonable distance w/in the ConUS) to meet the buyer at an agreed upon location to complete this deal via in-person delivery if the winning bidder so chooses.

Q: Will you entertain a trade that is not the minimum bid or higher?

A: No.

Very fascinating info. Never knew much of the intricate details of this item. Good luck with your auction/sale.

iBHK8
Auction has been live for almost one week and will run for another week. Thanks to all who commented, shared thoughts, and stopped by to read and take a look at this item.

FAQ

Q: Price is very high, how can you justify the high minimum bid?

A: These are obviously rare papers and very few sales have taken place. https://www.thetimes03jan2009.com/ notes 8 "verified copies" of the paper ranging in asking price from $250k-$1.3M. BTC has been somewhat volatile since the auction began but at a ~$5200/BTC the minimum bid for this auction is priced 15-20% below the lowest priced paper on https://www.thetimes03jan2009.com/ and I am a highly accessible and public owner happy to answer questions to facilitate this deal; and I am donating 10% of the final sale price to a deserving charity.

If you are commenting to complain about the price please take precautions to avoid having your post look like a bid.

Q: Is this your only copy?

A: Yes.

Q: Are you willing to meet the buyer in person to consummate this deal?

A: Yes, I am willing to travel (reasonable distance w/in the ConUS) to meet the buyer at an agreed upon location to complete this deal via in-person delivery if the winning bidder so chooses.

Q: Will you entertain a trade that is not the minimum bid or higher?

A: No.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 12081
BTC + Crossfit, living life.
I wish you luck on this auction.  I love the one off collectables and this is king of one offs.  Wish I grabbed one when I could have.  Is this your only copy or do you have an extra to keep for yourself? 

Indeed it was a smart piece of paper investment.....
legendary
Activity: 3640
Merit: 1407
I wish you luck on this auction.  I love the one off collectables and this is king of one offs.  Wish I grabbed one when I could have.  Is this your only copy or do you have an extra to keep for yourself? 
https://twitter.com/Free_Ross/status/1120472033337409538

Quote from: @Free_Ross
Thank you @MattDElias for helping #FreeRoss by generously donating 10% of your proceeds of the auctioning of this rare piece of #Bitcoin memorabilia from Jan 3, 2009, when the first event on the #Bitcoin #Blockchain occurred!

#TheTimes03Jan2009

I will probably do an FAQ post later this week. Thanks everyone for your input and participation so far.  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1253
Merit: 1203
reserved
I was excited to see this but that starting price is a bit inflated.

Since it's reserved, though, looks like it has already sold anyway.

It is common to reserve the second post in these cases. I believe the second post will be edited to showcase the bonus item and have it at the top. Try not to spread fake statements.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Is there another one that has sold publicly, like... ever?

Ask Worth Point perhaps.
legendary
Welt Am Draht

There's a couple there which sort of ground to a halt. They're quite old threads and obviously as time goes on these items become ever more mythical.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/wts-original-copy-of-the-times-jan-3-2009-quoted-in-genesis-block-833184

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/sell-original-times-newspaper-from-3-january-2009-quoted-in-genesis-block-397557

Your only way of obtaining one would've been through the old newspaper sites. Certainly no one gave a shit on the day. It's not as if anyone would've realised their significance until at least a couple of years afterwards. I wonder what type of stock they had per newspaper. It can't be high.

Activity: 2254
Merit: 960
100% Deposit Match UP TO €5000!
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 12081
BTC + Crossfit, living life.
legendary
Welt Am Draht
40 BTC is barking mad but they ain't making any more and it's the type of thing an early adopter with coins pouring out of their botty would love to have. All the same I'd have to whack myself around the head with an anvil if I bought it just before a bull run. Glad I'm not really the collecting type.

Good luck with the auction. This is definitely going to be very informative and something that'll be referred to often in the years to come.
legendary
Activity: 1583
Merit: 1276
Heisenberg Design Services
Even though they seem to be very rare, and considered to be one of the first collectible of the cryptocurrency world 40BTC is too expensive to start with in an auction. Though I have never seen a Times Genesis block paper coming up for sell/auction, it would be quite interesting to see how this sale/auction progresses over time. Probably a whale like OTOH or Canary or GP can complete this deal for you at a worthy price.

As krog said, if someone buys this at such a price both you and the buyer should meet in person and finalize the deal. Will you trust a Premium delivery service with such an expensive item?
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 3596
Nice looking piece of bitcoin/crypto history. Cool

Good luck with the auction.

Happy to escrow and deliver this if needed Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: